• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer (Wii U, PC) - new gameplay video

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There was a new update for the backers of this game, including a new gameplay video. It seems that finally its development is on the final stretch.

Hello everyone,

this update is mostly for the backers and I would like share with you an new gameplay video showing the progress made in AI and functioning gameplay mechanics.

All gameplay elements are now in and working, including AI and GUI elements, we are now in the proccess of polishing, optimizing,bug fixing as well as setting up the two player splitscreen and the championship mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auuYtx8627A

There are also some screenshots with the cars that will be playable in the game, but it doesn't work to link the images directly here. Here is the update post:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/1388987

Edit: Platy is a better person than me:

So you rehost =P

Qs293Ed.png

awKq66J.png

OF5ZviK.png

43tQ7Z7.png

cmmmHVw.png

0L52UI6.png

LhEmvWK.png

A5tzCOj.png

eSkBzwV.png

YoW252w.png

ATSPmZ1.png

I THINK thet might be fans of Senna xD

Golnei

Good to hear it's still alive, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for the release to be anytime soon, regardless of how well development is progressing.

Escalario

Banned
...it's still alive? Didn't heard anything about it in months. Can't be a good sign if the only thing they release after all this time is a short video that's not even a minute long.

If only they would go to a more "weighty" feel for the cars.

i know what they are doing, their goal is to emulate the 90's Sega arcade racers. i just think that capturing the visual style would be enough, the "floaty" feel was never of my taste.

Hopefully in the Wii U version multiplayer can also be played on the Gamepad instead of split screen.

"If only they would go to a more "weighty" feel for the cars.

i know what they are doing, their goal is to emulate the 90's Sega arcade racers. i just think that capturing the visual style would be enough, the "floaty" feel was never of my taste."

No thanks, there are enough of those racers out there.

I think it's a shame they put so much effort into modernising the 3D art but the heads up display remains stuck in the 90s. I'm sure a bunch of people will quote me and say I don't get it but I'd rather have a cleaner UI that felt like it was designed by a graphic designer. At least on PC we'll probably be able to turn that stuff off.

"If only they would go to a more "weighty" feel for the cars.

No thanks, there are enough of those racers out there.
There's also enough of the 90's racers out there from decades ago XD. Since most of those developers libraries have been ported to a multitude of platforms already.

It's easy to come up with justifications for anything. The point is, it might be a chance to create something similar yet "new" at the same time and guarantee bigger success.

TheMoon

I just realized, despite this being a fucking Nicalis game, the recent IARC development might mean this actually has a decent chance of landing in Europe somewhat close to its NA release.

"There's also enough of the 90's racers out there. Since most of those developers libraries have been ported to a multitude of platforms already.

It's easy to come up with justifications for everthing. The point is, it might be a chance to create something similar yet "new" at the same time and guarantee bigger success."

I don't think making something play like every other racer released in the past 5 years would "guarantee" more success. I also don't think a "weightier" driving model would guarantee more success. Furthermore, If it was just about that, I don't think developer would have bothered making a game whose entire identity is 20 years old and out of favor with the majority of gamers. Realistically, the appeal to those days gone by (and that includes gameplay) is a large part of what gave the game its Kickstarter success in the first place.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just realized, despite this being a fucking Nicalis game, the recent IARC development might mean this actually has a decent chance of landing in Europe somewhat close to its NA release.

Yeah, when I read about eshop using IARC this was the first game I thought it will benefit from it, knowing well how Nicalis handles European versions of the games.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
What annoys me is that in none of the gameplay videos the car crashes. May seem small, but it tells me that they still need a ton of time.

Oh, and first time there are rival cars. They don't seem to be doing anything, so I'm still not excited about this. Maybe late 2016.

Escalario

Banned
By the time this comes out, WiiU will be dead and buried. They would do better by moving it to NX/PS4/X1.
And talking about games getting moved to other platforms: I hope Bloodstained's WiiU version gets cancelled and moved to NX.

Golnei

By the time this comes out, WiiU will be dead and buried. They would do better by moving it to NX/PS4/X1.
And talking about games getting moved to other platforms: I hope Bloodstained's WiiU version gets cancelled and moved to NX.

Pending performance, of course. If the NX family turns out to be another Wii U; putting the work in to port them would be more of a waste than keeping to their current plans. It'd be safer to just cancel the Wii U ports, then assess whether the NX merits a port at a later date.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Why does the WiiU version of these games have to be canceled for it to appear on other systems down the line ? Am i missing something ?

gelf

On the weighty issue. There's a lot of variation in handling Arcade racers. Sega Rally feels a lot heavier then Outrun 2 for example. It doesn't look as loose as some of the early vids I saw of the game and I see that as a good thing as it looked lighter then even Outrun.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Pending performance, of course. If the NX family turns out to be another Wii U; putting the work in to port them would be more of a waste than keeping to their current plans. It'd be safer to just cancel the Wii U ports, then assess whether the NX merits a port at a later date.

Why are you acting like jerks? I understand wanting to have a version for NX (ignoring the fact that you're cheering for some device that you know nothing about), but to ask for cancellation of the Wii U version? The good indie games sold quite well on Wii U. The Wii U version was part of the kickstarter campaign even if not as a reward. How does a Wii U version makes you so unhappy to want it not to exist?

-MB-

The fact it's an official stretch goal on their Kickstarter makes it that they cannot cancel it without violating its rules.

Lumine

Almost forgot about this. Still looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to play it. However that constant trilling/shaking (?) the cars do is distracting to say the least...not a fan of that.

Rlan

At this point i'd a actually be keen on getting Raw Thrills to get the final release of the game and making an arcade version of it.

Mithos

Almost forgot about this. Still looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to play it. However that constant trilling/shaking (?) the cars do is distracting to say the least...not a fan of that.

Agreed, that is was annoying me while watching the video too.

MrV4ltor

You don't even know what the NX is or how powerful it will be and yet you'd rather have the game on that than a console that can already run the game very well and is already out? Y'all are a bit too much for me.

Oregano

If I'm not mistaken Nicalis said this is coming to PS4/PSV/XBO too now and going by recent history it will probably launch on those systems first.

-MB-

You don't even know what the NX is or how powerful it will be and yet you'd rather have the game on that than a console that can already run the game very well and is already out? Y'all are a bit too much for me.

Even if NX came out at the end of 2016 as a new console much more powerful, it won't make the WiiU userbase disappear instantly. There will be enough people still on it for a good portion of 2017 as well.
Enough to make this game on it worth their while.

Shion

The less "weighty" feel of the cars is part of the arcade racing experience.

The physics and handling in games like OutRun, F-Zero, Daytona, Ridge Racer, Scud Race, San Francisco Rush, Burnout etc., never felt very "weighty".

It's part of what distinguishes arcade racers from simcade racers for me.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
At this point i'd a actually be keen on getting Raw Thrills to get the final release of the game and making an arcade version of it.
I mentioned this a while back, but Raw Thrills is bringing back Cruis'n, and they have a MotoGP arcade game coming too.

"On the weighty issue. There's a lot of variation in handling Arcade racers. Sega Rally feels a lot heavier then Outrun 2 for example."

Kind of. Cars turn extremely quickly in Sega Rally, it's just that due to the theme of the game you're driving on loose surfaces, so there's very little traction.

Tizoc

I really wish this'd release in 2016, but it's been in development for so long I'm wondering if it'd even get released...

I haven't followed this game in lots of detail but have been very interested in it from the first time I heard about it. However, I have a feeling that it's never going to see the light of day on Wii U.

If I'm not mistaken Nicalis said this is coming to PS4/PSV/XBO too now and going by recent history it will probably launch on those systems first.

Wasn't Wii U part of the KS campaign? That would be incredibly shitty of them to do...so yeah, I expect it!

-MB-

I haven't followed this game in lots of detail but have been very interested in it from the first time I heard about it. However, I have a feeling that it's never going to see the light of day on Wii U.

It's a kickstarter strtch goal, they have to release it on there now.

I don't think making something play like every other racer released in the past 5 years would "guarantee" more success. I also don't think a "weightier" driving model would guarantee more success. Furthermore, If it was just about that, I don't think developer would have bothered making a game whose entire identity is 20 years old and out of favor with the majority of gamers. Realistically, the appeal to those days gone by (and that includes gameplay) is a large part of what gave the game its Kickstarter success in the first place.
Except in reality we have examples that disapproves this highlighted notion.

Just look at the wave of indi games that take the aesthetcis of old school games and wrap them up in more modern game systems and sensitivities for a wider audience.

Some times the look is enough to evoke the feelings of nostalgia. After all, some times is better to have a game that plays like your memory tricks you into thinking it did, than how it actually plays in reality. There are many cases of games that are fondly remembered as classics yet their playability doesn't hold up rather well, leaving a bad taste in an ilusioned player.

Anyway, pretty much pointless to continue with this side of the discussion. XD
On the weighty issue. There's a lot of variation in handling Arcade racers. Sega Rally feels a lot heavier then Outrun 2 for example. It doesn't look as loose as some of the early vids I saw of the game and I see that as a good thing as it looked lighter then even Outrun.
Exactly.

Sega Rally 2 for example feels more "weighty" than say something like Scud or Daytona. Also "weighty" doesn't equal sim like by any means. Excibite 64 took the original into 3D realm with a more authentic physics model yet it didn't feel sim like instead of arcade like.

"Just look at the wave of indi games that take the aesthetcis of old school games and wrap them up in more modern game systems and sensitivities for a wider audience."

I'd argue that the vast majority of these miss the point of the games whose look they emulate and aren't particularly good games outside of that aesthetic and that the two best examples of indie games with old school aesthetics also have old school gameplay and are two of the most celebrated games with that aesthetic (Shovel Knight, Volgarr).

Ultimately, I find the idea or desire of moving away from the gameplay of some of the best arcade racers (and racers, in general) for the sake of "more success" a little repulsive.

Except in reality we have examples that disapproves this highlighted notion.

Just look at the wave of indi games that take the aesthetcis of old school games and wrap them up in more modern game systems and sensitivities for a wider audience.

Some times the look is enough to evoke the feelings of nostalgia. After all, some times is better to have a game that plays like your memory tricks you into thinking it did, than how it actually plays in reality. There are many cases of games that are fondly remembered as classics yet their playability doesn't hold up rather well, leaving a bad taste in an ilusioned player.

Anyway, pretty much pointless to continue with this side of the discussion. XD

Exactly.

Sega Rally 2 for example feels more "weighty" than say something like Scud or Daytona. Also "weighty" doesn't equal sim like by any means. Excibite 64 took the original into 3D realm with a more authentic physics model yet it didn't feel sim like instead of arcade like.

I know that there are a lot of newer 2D "pixel" games or "retro style" games out there that are trash, because the developer doesn't know what good design or good play mechanics are. That's because they fail to look at "the old game systems" and "old design methods." They only get the aesthetic right, but the game is absolute trash.

One game that does work out in what you describe is Shovel Knight. It is a hard game if you want it to be, but also easier for those for those who are not up to the challenge of of skipping save points. It is more forgiving than something like Duck Tales or Mega Man from which the game was inspired.

"Just look at the wave of indi games that take the aesthetcis of old school games and wrap them up in more modern game systems and sensitivities for a wider audience."

I'd argue that the vast majority of these miss the point of the games whose look they emulate and aren't particularly good games outside of that aesthetic and that the two best examples of indie games with old school aesthetics also have old school gameplay and are two of the most celebrated games with that aesthetic (Shovel Knight, Volgarr).

Ultimately, I find the idea or desire of moving away from the gameplay of some of the best arcade racers (and racers, in general) for the sake of "more success" a little repulsive.

Yes, I know what you mean. This game with these graphics would be so disappointing if it controlled like Need For Speed or another modern racing game. Actually, I actively avoid the NFS games because it is stuck in the middle of "sim and arcade".

Visuals are lovely, game looks fun to play.

HUD is terrible, flashing CHECKPOINT right on the horizon line is bad, even daytona usa 2001 gave an option to disable that kind of shit on the Dreamcast because they knew it was in the way. Doesn't help that it also looks like someone had fun typing a word and using paint shop pro 7's drop shadow tool on it.

I absolutly don't approve that music, is like the worst eurotrash from 90's..., that's not the 90's music I was hoping.

Everything else looks good enough.

TheMoon

I absolutly don't approve that music, is like the worst eurotrash from 90's..., that's not the 90's music I was hoping.

Everything else looks good enough.

Yea the music is complete garbage. Really wish they just simply did good music and not artificially trashy 90s techno.

Umibozu

I'm expecting a 2017 release for this game. I would agree that the music is bad and would get grating after long play sessions. Also for those wanting a realistic racing game, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Top Bottom