• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 90's Arcade Racer (Wii U, PC) - new gameplay video

ArjanN

"Just look at the wave of indi games that take the aesthetcis of old school games and wrap them up in more modern game systems and sensitivities for a wider audience."

I'd argue that the vast majority of these miss the point of the games whose look they emulate and aren't particularly good games outside of that aesthetic and that the two best examples of indie games with old school aesthetics also have old school gameplay and are two of the most celebrated games with that aesthetic (Shovel Knight, Volgarr).

Ultimately, I find the idea or desire of moving away from the gameplay of some of the best arcade racers (and racers, in general) for the sake of "more success" a little repulsive.

Shovel Knight actually clearly has a lot of modern sensibilities in it's design. It's actually a pretty good example of a game that seems like how you remember old-school games being but actually mostly weren't.

gelf

Except in reality we have examples that disapproves this highlighted notion.

Just look at the wave of indi games that take the aesthetcis of old school games and wrap them up in more modern game systems and sensitivities for a wider audience.

Some times the look is enough to evoke the feelings of nostalgia. After all, some times is better to have a game that plays like your memory tricks you into thinking it did, than how it actually plays in reality. There are many cases of games that are fondly remembered as classics yet their playability doesn't hold up rather well, leaving a bad taste in an ilusioned player.

Anyway, pretty much pointless to continue with this side of the discussion. XD

Exactly.

Sega Rally 2 for example feels more "weighty" than say something like Scud or Daytona. Also "weighty" doesn't equal sim like by any means. Excibite 64 took the original into 3D realm with a more authentic physics model yet it didn't feel sim like instead of arcade like.

While I did make the point that arcade racers didn't all handle loosely. I'm completely disagree with the rest of what you say. I don't see modern mechanics as superior at at all, and if this just played like Forza with colourful graphics or whatever I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

My only point was a very loose handling style doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with the term "arcade" as there was a lot variation in that sector.

liquidtmd

Banned
I can take pictures of my ass, put them on internet and tell people it's coming

Doesn't mean you guys will ever get to play with it.

You've more chance of getting that than this game.

yurinka

Looks amazing. I love the aesthetics and how respects the '90 racers. I want to play this game and the next Trackmania on my PS4. And if possible (I bet won't happen) on my Vita.

Regarding gameplay, I'm ok with a Daytona USA/Ridge Racer feel. It's what I want and the game is an homage to them even with the title so I'd focus on providing that feel as much as possible. P.S.: I didn't like Sega Rally gameplay at all.

I haven't been keeping up with the development of this game, but it's on my radar and I know they are behind schedule. Nicalis are known to be slow, but I believe they have released every game they set out to release. Plus isn't this mainly just 2 men making this game. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Lettuce

Jesus this game still not out...its been like 3 years!

Does anyone else think that it should be called, 'That 90's Arcade Racer' instead of 'The 90's Arcade Racer'

Platy

There are also some screenshots with the cars that will be playable in the game, but it doesn't work to link the images directly here. Here is the update post:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts/1388987

So you rehost =P

Qs293Ed.png

awKq66J.png

OF5ZviK.png

43tQ7Z7.png

cmmmHVw.png

0L52UI6.png

LhEmvWK.png

A5tzCOj.png

eSkBzwV.png

YoW252w.png

ATSPmZ1.png

I THINK thet might be fans of Senna xD

Synth

Shovel Knight actually clearly has a lot of modern sensibilities in it's design. It's actually a pretty good example of a game that seems like how you remember old-school games being but actually mostly weren't.

Yes, but the game's core design, in how it feels, moves etc is very old school. It doesn't simply invoke an old art style, then you pick it up and it feels like Little Big Planet.

I don't care if they want to a some sort of career mode, optional rewinf or whatever else to this... but if I pick it up and it feels like Driveclub, then I'm gonna want my money back.

The game looks like it is shaping up to be really good. It definitely has a strong model 2/ 3 Sega vibe going on. Though I am not really a fan of the Richard Jacques '90's era techno pop. But I see what they are going for.

Burai

shitonmychest57

If you compare this video to the last one you can see they've made a ton of progress.

It's like the exact opposite of vapourware.

It looks good but I don't like the general design; 90's racers had crazy scenery.

Here it's just a regular scenery with added things.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Most of the negative comments in this thread are that The 90's Arcade Racer reminds people of the 90's.

Ok ...

What they need to do is replace these weird clone cars with real cars, replace the tracks with real ones, replace the floaty, unrealistic handling with proper simulation handling and mute all the colours. And a dubstep soundtrack instead of that twee 90s Euro crap.

Maybe call it 2010s Simulation Racer. Much better.

So you rehost =P

Qs293Ed.png

awKq66J.png

OF5ZviK.png

43tQ7Z7.png

cmmmHVw.png

0L52UI6.png

LhEmvWK.png

A5tzCOj.png

eSkBzwV.png

YoW252w.png

ATSPmZ1.png

I THINK thet might be fans of Senna xD

From top to bottom:
  • Lancia Stratos - Sega Rally
  • Looks like a cross better the Mazda RX-7 and Toyota AE86 from Initial D
  • Maclairin F1 - SCUD Race
  • Generic roadster - Sega Race TV?
  • A cross between a Mustang and a Camero - Sega RaceTV
  • Porsche 911 - SCUD Race
  • Dodge Viper - SCUD Race
  • Scorpion stock car - Daytona USA 2
  • Hornet stock car - Daytona USA
  • Indy car - Indy 500
  • A cross between the F1 car from Virua Racing and the F1 car from Super Monaco GP?

It sucks that Project Cars was cancelled, but this and Fast Racing Neo are the two games I'm most excited about on Wii U. Can't go wrong with nostalgia and arcade gameplay for Nintendo gamers.

Zekes!

First I've heard of this. Looks pretty cool. I've been thinking a lot about how I haven't played much racing games in the last few years.

Dunkley

It sucks that Project Cars was cancelled, but this and Fast Racing Neo are the two games I'm most excited about on Wii U. Can't go wrong with nostalgia and arcade gameplay for Nintendo gamers.

Oh god thanks for reminding me Fast Racing Neo is a thing.

Only needed to watch some gameplay to get me hyped for that too.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm curious what's happened behind the scenes with this game. I remember the original Kickstarter video showed AI and in game racing. The game was originally supposed to be released in 2013 but then he (Antonis) started collaborating with Nicalis and it has continuously been delayed. The explanation for the delays was for improved AI, handling, physics, etc. but from the short snippets of video, there doesn't appear to be that much of a difference. In fact, it seems like Antonis has been trying to distance himself from Nicalis for sometime - most of the updates showed progress he (Antonis) had made in development, not Nicalis.

From top to bottom:
  • Looks like a cross better the Mazda RX-7 and Toyota AE86 from Initial D
  • Maclairin F1 - SCUD Race
  • Dodge Viper - SCUD Race
  • Indy car - Indy 500
  • A cross between the F1 car from Virua Racing and the F1 car from Super Monaco GP?

Close enough?
  • Ferrari 355 - F355 Challenge + Honda NSX?
  • McLaren F1 - SCUD Race
  • Dodge Viper - SCUD Race + Mercedes SLS AMG GT3?
  • 1993/1994 Williams F1 - Virtua Racing/Super Monaco GP?
  • Penske Indycar - Indy 500

Brofield

Getting day 1, but the one thing that keeps bugging me that they still haven't really fixed are the skid marks beneath the tires when drifting. It's not smooth like it should be.

Gameplay Trailer 2
R8LPH0U.gif

Gameplay Trailer 3 (this one)

wMXlFVI.gif

The GIFs are at varying frame rates only from the converter I used; I'm honestly impressed they got 60fps running so quickly in the initial build

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm curious what's happened behind the scenes with this game. I remember the original Kickstarter video showed AI and in game racing. The game was originally supposed to be released in 2013 but then he (Antonis) started collaborating with Nicalis and it has continuously been delayed. The explanation for the delays was for improved AI, handling, physics, etc. but from the short snippets of video, there doesn't appear to be that much of a difference. In fact, it seems like Antonis has been trying to distance himself from Nicalis for sometime - most of the updates showed progress he (Antonis) had made in development, not Nicalis.

I have no idea what's going on with this game but the pattern with Nicalis-adjacent games is that Nicalis signs on and promises/proposes all sorts of producer-type bullet-point crap and then flubs it due to disorganisation and/or cashflow problems.

AmyS

I have no idea what's going on with this game but the pattern with Nicalis-adjacent games is that Nicalis signs on and promises/proposes all sorts of producer-type bullet-point crap and then flubs it due to disorganisation and/or cashflow problems.

In case anyone missed, here was their interview with GamereactorTV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJhEAiuv_c

Close enough?
  • Ferrari 355 - F355 Challenge + Honda NSX?
  • McLaren F1 - SCUD Race
  • Dodge Viper - SCUD Race + Mercedes SLS AMG GT3?
  • 1993/1994 Williams F1 - Virtua Racing/Super Monaco GP?
  • Penske Indycar - Indy 500

I was taking guesses without actually knowing. But that second car threw me for a loop. But this looks a little more correct. One car that I want to see make an appearance in this game, is the vehicle from gale Racer/ Rad Mobile:

Gale%20Racer%20%28J%29%20Front.jpg

Or at least a reasonable facsimile of it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Having burned through all of Need for Speed: Most Wanted last year and with Project Cars cancelled, this should fill my Wii U's non-Mario Kart racing game hole nicely.

Top Bottom