• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard purchases King.com (Candy Crush Saga) for $5.9 billion

GSR

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/680ccbd2-81d4-11e5-8095-ed1a37d1e096.html#axzz3qOdgVtyB

If FT asks for a login, try searching "Activision" on Google News. See also Kotaku.

Activision Blizzard has agreed to acquire King Digital Entertainment, the London-based group behind the hugely popular Candy Crush Saga mobile games, in a $5.9bn deal that would be the biggest takeover of a UK-based tech company since HP acquired Autonomy for $11bn four years ago.

At a time when games such as Call of Duty for consoles such as Microsoft’s Xbox and Sony’s PlayStation make up the majority of its revenues, Activision is paying a huge sum for one of the largest communities of mobile gamers in the world, with 340m monthly unique users.

Out of nowhere. Guess they're making a push into mobile big-time.

Kotaku said:
Said Activision CEO Bobby Kotick in a press release:

The combined revenues and profits solidify our position as the largest, most profitable standalone company in interactive entertainment. With a combined global network of more than half a billion monthly active users, our potential to reach audiences around the world on the device of their choosing enables us to deliver great games to even bigger audiences than ever before.

Tizoc

Well this is kinda surprising? Did the company/firm mention at any time that they weren't being bought out etc?

Good on those Candy Crush creators.

KuGsj.gif
at Activision.

Sinfamy

What a waste of money.
King is laughing their way to the bank and back and then to the bank again to deposit more money.

Ridley327

Boy, this must really chap Rovio's asses after Activison handled the console ports for the Angry Birds titles they did.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I see they desperately wanted in on mobile.

This is some old EA level desperation acquisition cost.

That said, probably a good decision long term. They really needed mobile.

Huh, it never occurred to me that Acti really DOESN'T have any real mobile presence outside of a few COD spinoffs.

Well, didn't.

$5,900,000,000 on a match game. What the fuck. That's $5.9B on a name alone.

Lol @ minecraft 2 billion and here is a mobile game that isn't anything special for $6B.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Um what?

Aren't they a publicly traded company - KING

I'm surprised that Bobby would make such an acquisition.

Mortemis

Banned
holy shit, that's an obscene amount of money

Huh, it never occurred to me that Acti really DOESN'T have any real mobile presence outside of a few COD spinoffs.

Well, didn't.

yep, guess a huge ass acquisition is what they thought would be the best way to break into the market.

Top Bottom