• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard purchases King.com (Candy Crush Saga) for $5.9 billion

KingBroly

Banned
Microsoft bought Mojang and Minecraft for $2 billion, and they said it'd take them a year to make it back.

I can't see Activision making this money back anytime soon.

Banned
They will never make this money back on candy crush saga. Lol. Activision what are you doing?

Microsoft did it right only spending $2B and will probably make that back in a couple years.

Maybe a sign that the Call of Duty bubble is seriously about to burst.

That huge flow of money has to come from somewhere. COD might be on its last leg when it comes to being Activision's workhorse.

King's games could easily replace that revenue.

Except Candy Crush is most likely past its peak and mobile/social game studios are generally one-hit wonders. I don't think Activision is buying them out because they're hoping they make another hit.

Out of no where , this seem so random but it seem acti really wants that mobile money .
Still it's going to take years for them to make this back if at all .

Ridley327

Maybe a sign that the Call of Duty bubble is seriously about to burst.

That huge flow of money has to come from somewhere. COD might be on its last leg when it comes to being Activision's workhorse.

King's games could easily replace that revenue.

I mean, COD has been declining steadily since the first Black Ops and it's still virtually unmatched in terms of sales for console gaming. Maybe that would be more of a conversation based on what BO3 ultimately does, but there aren't too many series that "decline" like COD has.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
May as well purchase UBISOFT at that price - seems too much for what the brand offers.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I can't believe Candy Crush is worth more than Star Wars... that is insane.

Why wouldn't they just spend half that money on marketing the ass off of a new mobile game and then still have 3 cheeky billion left over easy....

4Tran

Normally, this would be a bad move since Candy Crush probably can't be counted on to generate sustained profits and it's unlikely that King will be able to make as big a hit ever again. But since Activision didn't have a major presence in the mobile space yet, this gives them entry into that segment.

It's more that they've spent five years face planting on mobile and have to do the "growth at any cost" approach Kotick kept making fun of EA for.

That said, King has show longer term resilience, so their investors should be happy.

I was about to edit my post, adding that all but a complete void in mobile most likely has a lot to do with it as well. Good call, though.

TI82

Banned
5.9 billion (plus whatever revenue they already made up to this point) for a Bejeweled clone.

Nuts.

It's actually kind of weird that Activision DIDN'T have more mobile stuff when you consider just how many major IPs with mass recognition they have. Call of Duty, Destiny, Skylanders, and especially everything Blizzard, etc.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
�� core gamers

lol it's true though, the foundation of KING is built solely on Candy Crush, much like Angry Birds for Rovio... I don't know, seems kinda odd from Activision.

I guess they really wanted that mobile moolah.

Everyone has a crazy stupid number they'd be bought out for. Don't lie, you have one too.

Candy Crush was probably 6 billion and just a joke and Acti was like Oh we can do that.

But that's still an insane amount of money. Almost 3 times the amount that Microsoft payed for Minecraft. Almost 70% of what Disney payed for Star Wars. Almost SIX TIMES the amount that Google payed for Youtube.

Oh King got Acti good, can't see that deal ever working out beneficial for Activision.

Activision does have Hearthstone btw people

acksman

Activision game companies wishing they could use that money for their games, then King.

survivor1.gif

Mechazawa

This comes across as really odd. For a while now, King has struck me as a developer and Candy Crush as a game in their twilight years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's actually kind of weird that Activision DIDN'T have more mobile stuff when you consider just how many major IPs with mass recognition they have. Call of Duty, Destiny, Skylanders, and especially everything Blizzard, etc.
Bobby kept talking about how it wasn't worth investing in until games in the market were making $1+ billion a year or whatever, and then when they did, they were way too late to break into the market despite many efforts trying.

Candy Crush was probably 6 billion and just a joke and Acti was like Oh we can do that.

This is how it played out in my head as well. Or rather, how I kind of wish it played out. God this is so fucking crazy. 6 billion fucking dollars is A LOT of money for just ONE developer.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Now King Kotick shall reap the Souls of the grandmas and soccer moms.

As for the hardcore CoD dudebro crowd, they were already dead.

Top Bottom