• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard purchases King.com (Candy Crush Saga) for $5.9 billion

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Huh, it never occurred to me that Acti really DOESN'T have any real mobile presence outside of a few COD spinoffs.

Well, didn't.
Hearthstone, but it's not enough and they're not going to get more out of Blizzard.

King is also much more likely to get Skylanders spin offs to work on mobile than all their failed internal efforts.

Banned
That's 5.9 billion that could have been invested into new AAA IP that aren't shooters.

Smh.

But I thought that King revenue was crashing down? I'm interested to see what Activision is going to do with them.

But the important question is: Are they going to become King Activision Blizzard?

Cipherr

Huh, it never occurred to me that Acti really DOESN'T have any real mobile presence outside of a few COD spinoffs.

Well, didn't.

Kudos to them for not forcing it out of companies like Blizzard. I would much rather this than hear that Blizz is being pushed to pump out little phone games because Activision wants into that market.

This'll do.

Maybe a sign that the Call of Duty bubble is seriously about to burst.

That huge flow of money has to come from somewhere. COD might be on its last leg when it comes to being Activision's workhorse.

King's games could easily replace that revenue.

BTM

XCYfvsE.gif

Holy fucking what

Sterok

So we just learned that Candy Crush almost equals Minecraft and Star Wars put together. Yeah, King got a really nice deal here.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Activision Blizzard to Acquire King Digital Entertainment for $5.9 Billion - Combined Company to be Crowned a Leader in Interactive Entertainment

A New Global Leader In Mobile Gaming, the Largest and Fastest-Growing Segment Of Interactive Entertainment

Combining TTM Non-GAAP Revenues of $4.7B for Activision Blizzard and TTM Adjusted Revenues of $2.1B for King and Combining TTM Adjusted EBITDA of $1.6B for Activision Blizzard and $0.9B for King

King Shareholders to Receive $18 per Share Representing a 20% Premium Over King’s 30 October 2015 Closing Price

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151102007003/en/Activision-Blizzard-Acquire-King-Digital-Entertainment-5.9

JustAConspiracy

Neo Member
Interesting. I wonder if we'll start seeing current franchise names stapled onto mobile games developed by King or if they'll just keep it more independent.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe a sign that the Call of Duty bubble is seriously about to burst.

That huge flow of money has to come from somewhere. COD might be in its last leg when it comes to being Activision's workhorse.

King's games could easily replace that revenue.
It's more that they've spent five years face planting on mobile and have to do the "growth at any cost" approach Kotick kept making fun of EA for.

That said, King has show longer term resilience, so their investors should be happy.

Usobuko

Banned
I think they pay far too much but what do I know.

Comparatively, Softbank got hell of a good deal for SuperCell ( Clash of Clan ).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Holy fucking shit.

Disney bought fucking Star Wars for 4 billions, guys.

Most knowledgeable analysts pegged that as a charity amount. Lucas didn't sell to make money.

The fucked thing is that he gave the charity amount to the one company that didn't need it.

Somnid

If I was going to drop big monies on any mobile dev it would be SuperCell. King just feels like a Rovio or a Zynga.

Top Bottom