• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Blizzard purchases King.com (Candy Crush Saga) for $5.9 billion

GeoramA

Wow, not surprised at the 6 billion tho. Nearly every person in the world has access to this game and it's still insanely popular.

TI82

Banned
Geez, that's insane. Incoming new Candy element to every Skylanders game from here on out. Here, Activision, let me get you started on some characters:

1) Lolly Plop
"Lick out below!"

2) Chalk Lit
"Lights! Camera! Chalk!"

3) Gum Bell
"For chew the bell tolls!"

4) Sour Puss
"Pucker up!"

Diggeh I thought we agreed you wouldn't post those lewd names. Back to your dumpster!

I'm more shocked that Activision-Blizzard had $6 billion to spend.

Where they always that loaded?

This is also whats getting me

Jesus Christ how much money did Activision store away for crazy shit like this? COD really makes them THAT much money?

Ridley327

I'm more shocked that Activision-Blizzard had $6 billion to spend.

Where they always that loaded?

They bought their own freedom from Vivendi-Universal for a little less than $2.5 billion, and they have some of the most consistently popular games on the planet. It's safe to say that they've got plenty of dough.

LeonSPBR

So apparently Candy Crush makes about 1.5 billion a year. It's gonna take them years to even make their money back.

If Candy Crush makes that a year, then Activision made a interesting move. Candy Crush has a shitload of fans, so I'm sure the guys at Activision will find a way to make Candy Crush and others projects that they have very profitable.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand many parts of this.

kevm3

It's amazing to me that some of the least technologically impressive games end up getting bought out for these obscene amounts of money. Minecraft looks like something out of psx era 3d and candy crush saga looks like a flash game and they get bought for billions.

therapist

Probably worth it though. People still play candy crush and its something you can easily bring to consoles now.

Eh im not so sure.

Sure it might make 1.5 bill a year , but its losing popularity and one of the main reasons its so huge is because you dont need a console to play it , facebook , your phone etc can run it.

Bringing this to consoles , i honestly dont think it would do very well.

Certainly not well enough to make back what they are spending on this , at least not in foreseeable future

True Fire

King has an in into the mobile market, and Activision was willing to pay big bucks for that. I would imagine that they made this decision after trying repeatedly to get into mobile and failing.

They're 5 years too late though, don't you think?

It must be infuriating how mobile success is based around arbitrary trends. It's very different from how you can manipulate your way into success in the video game industry. Casual gamers aren't as predictable as hardcore gamers.

This is also whats getting me

Jesus Christ how much money did Activision store away for crazy shit like this? COD really makes them THAT much money?

Don't forget they also have WOW , SC , diablo , skylanders plus now destiny .
They have really big IPs that bring in the money

wapplew

They're 5 years too late though, don't you think?

It must be infuriating how mobile success is based around arbitrary trends. It's very different from how you can manipulate your way into success in the video game industry. Casual gamers aren't as predictable as hardcore gamers.

And mobile casual have zero brand loyalty.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wonder what blackmail material King had on Activision execs.

LiK

Why that much? I completely understand wanting to buy the company and its worth a lot but Activison is paying this much for King a mobile developer...

When Disney paid 4mil or something like that for Star Wars

and Microsoft paid 2.5 million for Minecraft...

What.The.Hell?

They have to know something we don't right? Like Candy Crush 2 with the most fucked up microtransaction system ever or something right?

I do not understand.

Billion bro, billion.

King Digital Interactive is a POS of a company so I'm kinda glad ACTI are taking over it. But damn this is a massive gamble.

Still this is proof that the mobile market bubble is going to explode in everyone’s faces. Just like the early gaming market or the dot.com bubble. The fact someone would pay this much for a tiny bully company that ripped it’s ideas off of so many others is just mind blowing.

Also can't wait for the piss dragon to be DLC for Skylanders. Just wait for it.

Kind of hard to swallow the fact that they paid almost as much as the Star Wars and Minecraft purchases combined.....I know Candy Crush is huge but my god.

Fury451

Banned
Why?

Why?

This is like buying MySpace for 5 billion in 2010. Have no idea how King would be worth that amount of money.

People say this all the time but I never seen anything backing it up.

All it takes is the next craze game for players to move on, but some have longer staying power than others.

$5.9 Billion...Holy shit.

Marvel: $4 Billion
Star Wars: $4 Billion
Mojang: $2.5 Billion
King: $5.9 Fucking Billion

Mojang+Star Wars or Marvel cost less than King.

Edit - lol apparently I suck at basic math

True Fire

And mobile casual have zero brand loyalty.

Which is why Candy Crush is a ticking time bomb. Activision's best bet would be to completely milk Candy Crush dry and then close the studio (I like to call it the EA method), which makes sense financially, but is a pretty horrendous tactic for an entertainment company

People say this all the time but I never seen anything backing it up.

The rise and fall of Zynga.

LeonSPBR

Why that much? I completely understand wanting to buy the company and its worth a lot but Activison is paying this much for King a mobile developer...

When Disney paid 4mil or something like that for Star Wars

and Microsoft paid 2.5 million for Minecraft...

What.The.Hell?

They have to know something we don't right? Like Candy Crush 2 with the most fucked up microtransaction system ever or something right?

I do not understand.

I think you meant billion...

Or maybe Activision has a pan to utilize their expertise to help to create microtransactions in $60 game, and they will definitely use the strength that Candy Crush has to their advantage.

Averon

They have quite a bit, not too long ago they bought themselves out for around 8 billion in total.

So, in a span for about 2-3 years they spent ~14 billion dollars.

I expect that level of spending from a Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, or General Electric. Never thought Activision-Blizzard had that much scratch.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Star Wars + Minecraft ~= Candy Crush Saga!

This Universe sucks.

image.php

Which is why Candy Crush is a ticking time bomb. Activision's best bet would be to completely milk Candy Crush dry and then close the studio (I like to call it the EA method), which makes sense financially, but is a pretty horrendous tactic for an entertainment company

I am certain they going to try and find some way to milk the user base .
Hell if the get even half of them to go to other games they going to be milking money .

Top Bottom