• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New VR Survey, 20% 2,282 Americans surveyed $400 to $500 is their price point

http://linkis.com/m.fastcompany.com/30/7ejIc

A few select quotes more at link

These are some of the conclusions from a wide-ranging survey of consumer expectations and preferences about virtual reality that will be released Tuesday by Greenlight VR, a virtual reality analysis and research firm, and Touchstone Research, which conducts online market studies. Fast Company was given exclusive advance access to the data.

"Price point thresholds indicate that 20% of consumers will be willing to spend between $400 to $500, boding well for Playstation VR and possibly the HTC Vive," the report concluded. "Only 11% of consumers are willing to spend $1,000-plus. With the need to purchase a specialized PC alongside a new console, Oculus falls into this expensive category."

Not surprisingly, millennials and generation-Xers are willing to pay significantly more—a maximum of $524 and $526 on average—than baby boomers, who don’t want to pay more than $400. Men are willing to pay an average highest price of $564, while women top out at $411, according to the report.

The conclusion? About 60% of all respondents said they will not pay more than $400 for a VR headset. The largest group, 31%, said they would pay between $200 and $399. What might be troubling for Oculus, which will require being paired with a PC that meets certain technical specifications, is that just 11% said they were willing to pay more than $1,000.

And while the report, which surveyed 2,282 Americans, lauded Oculus’s role in revitalizing the VR industry, it found that Sony’s PlayStation VR, which is expected to be released in the second quarter of 2016, has the highest "unaided brand awareness," meaning respondents were already aware of the brand. Samsung’s Gear VR, which is already on the market (a newer version should come out this holiday season) was second, while Oculus, which should hit the market in the first quarter of 2016, came in third.

3053235-inline-i-1-vr-infographic-greenlight.jpg

3053235-inline-i-2-exclusive-vr-industry-report-2.jpg

3053235-inline-i-3-exclusive-vr-industry-report-3.jpg

goodbyeworld.jpg

I can't wait for VR. Whereas a bunch of my friends are "can we try yours when you get it? Then we'll decide?"

Ferrio

Banned
What's interesting is Morpheus, which has the weakest hardware to work with, may have the biggest success

Not really that interesting, the "best" product never means it'll be the market winner. Vive is by far the best solution for VR but I'm going to bet it'll be in dead last in sales.

Nikodemos

it found that Sony’s PlayStation VR, which is expected to be released in the second quarter of 2016, has the highest "unaided brand awareness," meaning respondents were already aware of the brand.
Obviously, it's Playstation. Instant brand awareness. Just add VR and you've got your marketing already done.

Hmmm, "just add VR"... Sounds like an ad. Original idea, don't steal pls.

Illucio

Banned
Really? $400 - $500?

Who did they surveyed?

$300 or less is what I think is the idea price point, no more no less.

Anyone one paying $400-$500 is nuts. And any company thinking VR will sell at that price for a good amount of adoption is just fooling themselves.

They need to treat VR like a console, you need to sell consoles in order to sell your games, and you need to sell a ton of games to sell the console. That's why having a ton of games supporting the device day 1 and having the cheapest price possible is the best scenario possible, make money off of software sales. If VR ever flops it's because companies we're too ignorant to see that.

Nikodemos

They need to treat VR like a console, you need to sell consoles in order to sell your games, and you need to sell a ton of games to sell the console. That's why having a ton of games supporting the device day 1 and having the cheapest price possible is the best scenario possible, make money off of software sales.
That's pretty much word for word Sony's strategy.

Too late!! Should've ™'d that 'ish.

But it is catchy.
Send all copywriter offers via PM, thank you in advance.

Blanquito

Also, can someone explain this line to me? I can't seem to parse it right now, probably because I'm running on 4 hours of sleep.

With the need to purchase a specialized PC alongside a new console, Oculus falls into this expensive category."

Anyway, in the end it seems like some interesting results from the survey. Thanks for sharing!

Anyone one paying $400-$500 is nuts. And any company thinking VR will sell at that price for a good amount of adoption is just fooling themselves.

They need to treat VR like a console, you need to sell consoles in order to sell your games, and you need to sell a ton of games to sell the console. That's why having a ton of games supporting the device day 1 and having the cheapest price possible is the best scenario possible, make money off of software sales. If VR ever flops it's because companies we're too ignorant to see that.
Consoles sell for $400 to $500, so they are treating it like a console.

ps3ud0

What's interesting is Morpheus, which has the weakest hardware to work with, may have the biggest success
I can see it being the most popular purely because its got the least hoops to jump through to get what amounts to a decent VR experience. Also I guess theres some real faith that Sony is most likely to support PSVR with software outside of Oculus and Valve (EDIT: Feel I should elaborate on this point, not like Oculus/Valve havent got devs on board, just that Sony seem not to be considered a direct competitor and so might end up getting a fair few VR ports from those endeavours as well as internal studios) - being a company that has decades of hardware/software experience doesnt harm its prospects.

Ive gone from someone who thinks VR is the next big thing but will wait for round 2 to someone that probably will pick up PSVR while the PC solutions fight it out and 'upgrade' to them when the second generation of VR headsets turn up

Biggest issue for me is revolving around where games stop being 'wow experiences' and actually fleshed out products. Still not convinced on that...

ps3ud0 8)

Also, can someone explain this line to me? I can't seem to parse it right now, probably because I'm running on 4 hours of sleep.

Anyway, in the end it seems like some interesting results from the survey. Thanks for sharing!

Just means with Oculus you also need to buy the PC along with it, upping the final cost.

Of course they fail to mention you need a PS4 to run PSVR as well. So brand new Morpheus buyers will be in the $759-800 range when buying new PS4 + Morpheus

People who aren't PC gamers generally have a computer that doesn't even come close to meeting the specs for Occulus so they'd have to buy a new computer for it.

Not really that interesting, the "best" product never means it'll be the market winner. Vive is by far the best solution for VR but I'm going to bet it'll be in dead last in sales.
Disagree. Vive is the best solution for walk-around VR, but not "by far", Oculus just chose not to market their device that way, it is fully capable of walk-around VR, especially with two cameras. And for sitting-down VR (which is what most people will do most of the time), there's no way to know which will have the better experience, especially as HTC has yet to show off the consumer version of their kit. With what we've seen, the Rift is by far the most comfortable VR device, which is very important for immersion, but it's possible HTC's consumer Vive will be similar.

Disagree. Vive is the best solution for walk-around VR, but not "by far", Oculus just chose not to market their device that way, it is fully capable of walk-around VR, especially with two cameras. And for sitting-down VR (which is what most people will do most of the time), there's no way to know which will have the better experience, especially as HTC has yet to show off the consumer version of their kit. With what we've seen, the Rift is by far the most comfortable VR device, which is very important for immersion, but it's possible HTC's consumer Vive will be similar.

The bolded? how did you come to this conclusion? when there have been differing opinions by virtually everybody in what device they deem comfortable.

cheezcake

People who aren't PC gamers generally have a computer that doesn't even come close to meeting the specs for Occulus so they'd have to buy a new computer for it.

I don't think there's any significant overlap between the two groups of "people who get first wave VR devices" and "people who don't own a PS4 or gaming pc".

Just means with Oculus you also need to buy the PC along with it, upping the final cost.

Of course they fail to mention you need a PS4 to run PSVR as well. So brand new Morpheus buyers will be in the $759-800 range when buying new PS4 + Morpheus
I'm willing to bet that the chance of someone having a PS4 is quite a bit higher than the chance of that same someone having a PC with a >=970 GPU though.

The bolded? how did you come to this conclusion? when there have been differing opinions by virtually everybody in what they deem comfortable.
I challenge you to find one hands-on saying the Vive dev kit they've been showing off is more comfortable than the Rift consumer device - from what I've read it's similar to the Oculus DK2, which is definitely not comfortable compared to CV1. The Rift CV1 is lighter, covered in fabric, doesn't press against your face; wearing one is almost similar to wearing a baseball cap. There's a recent video of an Oculus panel talking about how they went from Crescent Bay hardware to CV1, and they spent a LOT of effort and expense just on comfort, making the user forget they are wearing a headset.

I challenge you to find one hands-on saying the Vive dev kit they've been showing off is more comfortable than the Rift consumer device - from what I've read it's similar to the Oculus DK2, which is definitely not comfortable compared to CV1. The Rift CV1 is lighter, covered in fabric, doesn't press against your face; wearing one is almost similar to wearing a baseball cap. There's a recent video of an Oculus panel talking about how they went from Crescent Bay hardware to CV1, and they spent a LOT of effort and expense just on comfort, making the user forget they are wearing a headset.

I guess Playstation VR doesn't exist, so you're just comparing PC devices?

DeaviL

Banned
Only 50% would pay over 400$.
A significant amount, but i wouldn't say 400 - 500$ is the pricepoint that'll do it.

Edit: Oh, bad sentence.

I guess Playstation VR doesn't exist, so you're just comparing PC devices?
I'm talking about what I know, the person claimed Vive was the best overall VR device by far, I gave an example of a way I believe it isn't, at least in what they've revealed (though as I said, they haven't shown the consumer version of the Vive off yet). I haven't tried the recent PSVR devices nor read much about their comfort; I did read that the first Project Morpheus devices weren't comfortable at all, but they have been upgraded since then. But I have tried the Rift DK2 and CV1, and read a number of hands-ons of that and the Vive dev kit.

$500? You can fuck right off with that.

But if you want it to die fast and kill VR for another 15 years then by all means, be my guest.

SeanR1221

Might be time to buy some Sony stock. Getting Wii vibes from the Playstation VR.

As long as it's less than $350.

What exactly is giving you wii vibes? It seems like it will be a niche product for a while honestly.

High price point + hard to advertise

Mihos

Gold Member
Both of my kids have already asked, too bad it is after Christmas (they both want Vive).

The college age kid will need a PC upgrade first, so maybe that will be Christmas for him..... and Ramen money

Majanew

Banned
I'll bite for $350.

I think Sony should try its hardest to not release PSVR at a higher price than PS4. Price, convincing people to wear head gear for gaming sessions, having your vision and hearing blocked to your environment are going to be hard sells.

Foggy

It's funny how everyone but Oculus/Valve are the ones with inflated expectations for success. They're going to be just fine out of the gate.

Majanew

Banned
Price-wise they are treating it as such - they said it themselves it is going to be priced similar to a new gaming platform.
Sony also said it's not looking to profit from the hardware. So it depends how much it costs Sony to make on what the possible price point could be.

Price-wise they are treating it as such - they said it themselves it is going to be priced similar to a new gaming platform.

If they're going to price it higher than the PS4, it will fail. Plus new gaming platforms have ranged from all sorts of prices, it doesn't mean much.

Top Bottom