• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New VR Survey, 20% 2,282 Americans surveyed $400 to $500 is their price point

Did they forget the Vive will also require a good PC? Also it is expected to be the most expensive, because HTC won't be making money of software, Valve will, so subsidizing it is most likely out of the question. Besides, they called it a premium experience. Those usually come at a price.

Also with the Rift, there's Touch. How much will that be? Will their combo be more expensive than the Vive? Or still below?

With PSVR, will Sony offer packages with HMD only, because there are several people who own Move controllers and the camera.

KingV

PSVR will be less successful than kinect on 360. Almost no way around it, console add ons NEVER do well over the long term and devs don't usually support products well that only a minority of console owners own.

How many Move Games or Kinect games were made last gen? That is the future of PSVR.

Nzyme32

Another survey by a "reputable" company and no disclosure of the demographics of the 2282 US surveyed.

Disregarding that, I think the short term success will be as it is today in the world of gaming, where something like the PS4 / PSVR will be the most "successful" or popular for gaming purposes due to the lower cost of entry and ready-to-go hardware. The PC side of things is going to be far broader and grow later as pricing and hardware changes over the coming years. I don't think a survey is needed to come to such a prediction.

Nikodemos

PSVR will be less successful than kinect on 360. Almost no way around it, console add ons NEVER do well over the long term and devs don't usually support products well that only a minority of console owners own.

How many Move Games or Kinect games were made last gen? That is the future of PSVR.
It's mostly an extrapolation, but according to polls/surveys nearly 50% of PS4 owners are interested in PSVR. Whether this interest will translate into sales is harder to quantify, but come next year there will be ~35 million PS4s out there at PSVRs launch. Even if only 1 in 5 owners decide to buy it, you're still looking at 7 million sales of the headset alone, not even counting people who might buy the inevitable PS4+VR bundle. Those aren't bad numbers for an entirely new, industry-disruptive entertainment technology.

As for games, PSVR has right now, before even being released, almost as many games as Move had in its entire run as a standalone add-on.

Walpurgis

Banned
I can't be the only one who has no idea what generation X, millenials, Z, and baby boomers mean specifically at all.

Generation Z is new to me but I've heard of the others on GAF.

Wikipedia said:
The Baby Boomers are the generation that was born following World War II, generally from 1946 to 1964 a time that was marked by an increase in birth rates

Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the Western Post–World War II baby boom. Demographers, historians and commentators use birth dates ranging from the early 1960s to the early 1980s.

Millennials, also known as the Millennial Generation, or Generation Y, is the demographic cohort following Generation X. Commentators use birth dates ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

The cohort of people born after the Millennial Generation have no agreed name or range of birth dates. A common name given to them is Generation Z, and sources date the cohort from the mid or late 1990s or the more widely used period from the mid 2000s to the present day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation#Western_world

Basically:

Baby Boomers = 50+
Gen X = 35-55
Millenials = 15-35
Gen Z = 0-20

Since nothing is agreed upon, there is overlap.

Over 150 Kinect games, and plenty of Move games too, and that's practically entirely to a casual audience who pretty much just want a sports, fitness and dance game. VR has much larger appeal with traditional gamers across a large variety of genres. That also means devs want to develop for it. They're excited to develop for it. There are 956 VR experiences available on Oculus Share, currently aimed only at an audience of less than 200,000 dev kits. Which isn't to say it's a guaranteed success in the short term, just that it's an entirely different beast to the peripheral failures/successes of the past. It's here to stay, whether it initially sells well or not.

NY Times ran a piece on Generation Z. It's mostly to aid market research (like always).

It also has this nice graphic explaining the keen difference:
RWhhgSy.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm part of the 80%.

Maybe if I had actually experienced VR my opinion would be different, but $300 seems like about the most I'd be willing to spend, and that's once the tech is there (like screens with a wide enough FOV and enough resolution to not look like crap).

Looking forward to it, but it will probably be a few generations into VR before I jump in.

Did they forget the Vive will also require a good PC? Also it is expected to be the most expensive, because HTC won't be making money of software, Valve will, so subsidizing it is most likely out of the question. Besides, they called it a premium experience. Those usually come at a price.

Also with the Rift, there's Touch. How much will that be? Will their combo be more expensive than the Vive? Or still below?

With PSVR, will Sony offer packages with HMD only, because there are several people who own Move controllers and the camera.

I didn't even consider this, that's def gonna make it more expensive than the other hmds, especially considering HTC's not great position right now. Curious how much more than Oculus. Been like a damn Mexican standoff between those two with pricing. We'll find out soon enough if early Dec is to be believed for Vive pre-orders.

This actually bodes well for VR in general. People investing in this market already don't expect it to be a hit big from night to day, so being cautiosly optimistic, this "40% market share" seems reasonable. Even better if they manage to pull out something even cheaper to surpass people's expectations.

If they're going to price it higher than the PS4, it will fail. Plus new gaming platforms have ranged from all sorts of prices, it doesn't mean much.

In the last few years game platforms at launch have cost $350, $400, $500. Anyone thinking they were talking about handhelds released four years ago are trying to make the facts fit their hopes, Sony knows that everyone would automatically think of PS4 and Xbox One launch prices when they talked about the price of new game platforms.

IKizzLE

What people say they are willing to pay is always different than what people are actually ready to pay at retail.

Price-wise they are treating it as such - they said it themselves it is going to be priced similar to a new gaming platform.
That's not what they said.

Pretty much word for word:

Bloomberg said:
The PlayStation VR headset is on track for introduction in the first half of next year, Sony Computer Entertainment Chief Executive Officer Andrew House said in an interview at the Tokyo Game Show on Thursday. The unit will be priced as a new gaming platform he said, without giving numbers.

KingV

It's mostly an extrapolation, but according to polls/surveys nearly 50% of PS4 owners are interested in PSVR. Whether this interest will translate into sales is harder to quantify, but come next year there will be ~35 million PS4s out there at PSVRs launch. Even if only 1 in 5 owners decide to buy it, you're still looking at 7 million sales of the headset alone, not even counting people who might buy the inevitable PS4+VR bundle. Those aren't bad numbers for an entirely new, industry-disruptive entertainment technology.

As for games, PSVR has right now, before even being released, almost as many games as Move had in its entire run as a standalone add-on.

Kinect sold 24+ million units on the 360. I don't think too many people thought support there was anything to get excited about.

The reality is there is you can make a game for the PS4 install base or a game for 20% of the install base, very few companies will risk making a game for the smaller install base.

I would also be surprised if the attach rate ends up being anywhere near 20%. I just don't believe that 20% of the PS4 userbasr is ready to buy an add on that costs almost as much as the console.

Melon Husk

Kinect sold 24+ million units on the 360. I don't think too many people thought support there was anything to get excited about.

The reality is there is you can make a game for the PS4 install base or a game for 20% of the install base, very few companies will risk making a game for the smaller install base.

I would also be surprised if the attach rate ends up being anywhere near 20%. I just don't believe that 20% of the PS4 userbasr is ready to buy an add on that costs almost as much as the console.

Price drop would bump up the attach rate among new customers. We could see 20% with good word of mouth esp. on post-psvr consoles.

In what way?

"is going to be priced similar to a new gaming platform"
"will be priced as a new gaming platform"

How did I change the meaning?

Andrew House may speak Japanese, but he's not. This isn't broken English that needs to be fixed. He said exactly what he meant to say.

"priced as" =/= "priced similar to"

"priced" is a verb here. He's talking about the action/process of determining the price.

Yosp later re-iterated their pricing strategy, by stating explicitly that they're pricing the hardware at or below cost. This is how they price(verb) new gaming platforms.

Their intention is to make money from the software, not the hardware.

Not really that interesting, the "best" product never means it'll be the market winner. Vive is by far the best solution for VR but I'm going to bet it'll be in dead last in sales.

That's true. Just like how Betamax was superior to VHS, but VHS won that particular format war.

I'm guessing PSVR will be $250 for the headset alone but honestly I'd be willing to pay twice that. That's just how jazzed I am for VR. Hell I bought an unlocked Galaxy S6 just to use with the upcoming consumer version Gear VR, that cost more than a PS4.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I saw "Gene Ration Z" and thought, "what kind of crazy Soylent Green nutspants demographic has the blogosphere trendspotted now?"

Ohhhh, "Generation Z."

Oh, okay.

*whew*

yurinka

Obviously PSVR will be the most popular: hardware required to play is cheaper, with a fixed HW specification, comes from an stablished gaming platform maker, and will have a catalog more focused in profesional product from stablished gaming companies than experiments from amateur devs.

Andrew House may speak Japanese, but he's not. This isn't broken English that needs to be fixed. He said exactly what he meant to say.

"priced as" =/= "priced similar to"

"priced" is a verb here. He's talking about the action/process of determining the price.

Yosp later re-iterated their pricing strategy, by stating explicitly that they're pricing the hardware at or below cost. This is how they price(verb) new gaming platforms.

Their intention is to make money from the software, not the hardware.

That doesn't make sense - you really think they were saying "we are going to give it a price, like we do with all gaming platforms"?? Did they somehow think Bloomberg thought they weren't going to give it a price? And where is this Japanese text that you are reading? I haven't been able to find Bloomberg's original interview text.

As for pricing it for cost or under, that's exactly what Sony does, they sold PS4 for $400 for a loss at launch, so that matches the first statement that it would cost the same as new game platforms do (nowhere did they ever say that was a clarification). And note, Oculus Rift is also going to be sold for cost, and that's going to be "over $350", so pricing the PSVR for cost would make sense at $350.

Grakl

I was born in 95, which is the cutoff point for Millennials and the start of generation Z, so shit like this is funny. I figure I have more in common with generation z people though

Either way $400 for a VR device seems fine, if you can use it for a significant amount of time like a console

That doesn't make sense - you really think they were saying "we are going to give it a price, like we do with all gaming platforms"?? Did they somehow think Bloomberg thought they weren't going to give it a price? And where is this Japanese text that you are reading?

As for pricing it for cost or under, that's exactly what Sony does, they sold PS4 for $400 for a loss at launch, so that matches the first statement that it would cost the same as new game platforms do. And note, Oculus Rift is also going to be sold for cost, and that's going to be "over $350".

Yes, it does make sense.
Do you think it makes more sense, that they're saying, "We have a price. Here's a fun guessing game, it's similar to the price of a new gaming platform? Now try to guess which?"

They are making the distinction between pricing it as a 'console peripheral', where they would typically make a profit, and pricing it as a 'new gaming platform', where they make the money from the related software.

And if you think that's too obvious, check out the Yosp quote thread. There's plenty of people who expressed outright incredulity towards his statement, apparently completely ignorant of how console hardware is typically priced.

Yes, it does make sense.
Do you think it makes more sense, that they're saying, "We have a price. Here's a fun guessing game, it's similar to the price of a new gaming platform? Now try to guess which?"
Yeah, that's normal, what everyone always does, until just a few months before a new platform is released. It's what HTC is doing now with the Vive, they said the Vive would have a "premium price" for a "premium VR experience", making everyone play guessing games. The point is to make sure people don't expect a super cheap peripheral so aren't surprised by a higher price.

Crayon

The Kinect comparison has to stop.

24 million Kinects were sold thanks to a marketing blitz the likes of which was perhaps not equaled by any console launch. They where packed in, they where given away in great number, there was ridiculous amounts of viral marketing, astroturfing and straight up hype. If anything, the kinect was a fine example of how you can sell anything if you spend enough on marketing. It was an expensive console peripheral, there where few games, and the best ones did not do anything for the user that a wagglewand or dance mat or microphone couldn't do better. It never really worked, noone really liked it and in the end it helped to sink the entire xbox brand because no one wanted to pay an extra hundred bucks for a known POS. Of course it didn't work the second time because they just burned the shit out of 24 million people with it.

The Kinect is a fucked up comparison because it was a POS. You can't compare vr to a POS because VR WORKS.

You forget however that there is going to be a massive push on PC too and the PS4 is going to benefit from that as well. The move and kinect were pretty much isolated, whereas VR is much more a new media technology that will be supported by the industry. This is the direction a very large part of the gaming industry and even the entertainment industry is moving to, also Sony has commented again and again that they and the other players in VR want to make VR a success, so even while some games will be moneyhatted etc. as a whole they want VR as a platform to be successful.

As you can tell from simply looking at this thread there is already a lot of support for PSVR and if the initial adoption is going to be high that trend will not end soon

People born in the 80's are not millennials at all.

They definitely are

Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe wrote about the Millennials in Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069,[2] and they released an entire book devoted to them, titled Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation.[3] Strauss and Howe are "widely credited with naming the Millennials" according to journalist Bruce Horovitz.[1] In 1987, they coined the term "around the time 1982-born children were entering preschool and the media were first identifying their prospective link to the millennial year 2000".[4] Strauss and Howe use 1982 as the Millennials' starting birth year and 2004 as the last birth year.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

NY Times ran a piece on Generation Z. It's mostly to aid market research (like always).

It also has this nice graphic explaining the keen difference:
RWhhgSy.jpg

3 apply to me on the millennial side and 2 on the Gen Z side.

Well the social media one overlaps because I used Facebook a lot for years, and while I still have one and check it, I barely update it. I am active on Snapchat.

CoryCubed

I never understood why people are honest on these surveys, I always choose the lowest price point, and honestly, don't we all want to pay the least possible price?

Top Bottom