• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New VR Survey, 20% 2,282 Americans surveyed $400 to $500 is their price point

It is unnecessary because VR is entirely unnecessary. Nobody needs a VR unit strapped to their face. It is 100% elective.

Everything we do is elective. I mean, it's mandatory that I eat, shit, and sleep, but there's nothing inherently unique to VR that makes it any more elective than any other activity.

How did you work that out? I would guess much less than 30 million, based on the rise of integrated GPUs in middle range hardware & the bias towards gaming machines inherent in a Steam Hardware review.

I really doubt there's a rise of integrated GPUs in gaming computers. And the bias towards gaming machines in the Steam Hardware review is kinda the point - gaming is one of the main uses for VR these days. The thing you have to realize, is there are more PC gamers than console gamers. Which means there are more than 30 million people with gaming computers - in fact, there are 125 million active Steam accounts. Admittedly, some of those accounts are only using Steam as a messenger program, or bots/duplicate accounts, but it's still going to be quite a lot more people than console owners.

Like Shu said this is like launching the original playstation. It is not a add on or peripheral it is a "PLATFORM" so PSVR is = to PS1. The tech is here now in its infancy and it will mature.

No its not, because you have to buy a PS4 and a VR to play VR games. It's completely different. In the end I have to pay a set amount of money to play VR games and as long as its pretty pricey I'm waiting, and I'm extremely surprised and skeptical when considering that the majority of people in this survey are willing to pay so much.

No its not, because you have to buy a PS4 and a VR to play VR games. It's completely different. In the end I have to pay a set amount of money to play VR games and as long as its pretty pricey I'm waiting, and I'm extremely surprised and skeptical when considering that the majority of people in this survey are willing to pay so much.

That was in reference to him stating he feels its too early for VR and I was giving him a quote Shu said as to why it's not to early.

I never understood why people are honest on these surveys, I always choose the lowest price point, and honestly, don't we all want to pay the least possible price?

If everyone listed that they were only willing to pay $100, and the cheapest a device could be manufactured for was $250, there would be a lot of hesitant companies turning down opportunities to enter the market. It always helps to be honest in surveys.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So what are millenials?

The term "generation Z" shares some overlap with the millennial group, which makes generations confusing to discuss at times. Generally speaking, the millennial group refers to people born in the early 1980s to early 2000s, while generation z begins during either the mid 90s or the mid 2000s.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The term "generation Z" shares some overlap with the millennial group, which makes generations confusing to discuss at times. Generally speaking, the millennial group refers to people born in the early 1980s to early 2000s, while generation z begins during either the mid 90s or the mid 2000s.

So confusing....

I want to see how this plays into the "console wars"... I mean if you're contemplating which console but see one has revolutionary VR tech available for it and one doesn't (streaming games via Oculus through a PC doesn't count)... what would you choose?

No one seems to be mentioning this. It's another massive string in the PS4's bow that can only help drive sales even further amongst those happy to go with either console. Why exclude yourself from cool future tech by going Xbox?

This is really why I could see a wii like event happening. It's not likely but it is surely possible with the right marketing/exposure/luck.

DieH@rd

Banned
Survey clearly shows that PSVR has a great potential for success. Of course there is no chance that all 50% of PS4 owners will convert to VR in 2016, but even few million of them will be huge for the VR industry.

Mark Zuckerberg mentioned recently that he expect slow initial addoption with ~100k of sales for entire VR industry, but I think that PSVR will blow that number away. They have great racing support on PS4 [the most popular VR genre according to this survey], so they can attract many enthusiasts early.

Survey clearly shows that PSVR has a great potential for success. Of course there is no chance that all 50% of PS4 owners will convert to VR in 2016, but even few million of them will be huge for the VR industry.

Mark Zuckerberg mentioned recently that he expect slow initial addoption with ~100k of sales for entire VR industry, but I think that PSVR will blow that number away. They have great racing support on PS4 [the most popular VR genre according to this survey], so they can attract many enthusiasts early.

If Sony manages to Sell 2 or 3 million VR headsets. I personally would consider that a huge success for this first round of consumer VR Devices.

Zaptruder

Banned

No, that was sales for the Oculus.

Zuckerberg actually said expecting sales for each company "in the hundreds of thousands" would be a reasonable expectation. That seems like a pretty reasonable expectation for Oculus and Valve, but I'd expect Sony to be able to sell a few million. 10 would be a lot, but I would hope they could do 1-3 in a year or two. (I'm expecting a pretty low price point for PSVR.)

Zuckerberg actually said expecting sales for each company "in the hundreds of thousands" would be a reasonable expectation. That seems like a pretty reasonable expectation for Oculus and Valve, but I'd expect Sony to be able to sell a few million. 10 would be a lot, but I would hope they could do 1-3 in a year or two. (I'm expecting a pretty low price point for PSVR.)

Based on what exactly? How many Move units have they managed to sell? I don't see why people expect a complete turn around in terms of how they treat their peripherals just because they want it to be the case. Until they treat them like Nintendo does and goes FULL IN (as in actually building one of their flagship titles around it) then it'll do the same

Keihart

i'm guessing PSVR will be 350USD, i'm pretty confident Sony is aiming for that same sweet spot PS4 hit with the price, that way they can have a succesfull launch with almost the same target buyers at PS4 launch. This survey kinda points in the same direction.

bonkeng

Based on what exactly? How many Move units have they managed to sell? I don't see why people expect a complete turn around in terms of how they treat their peripherals just because they want it to be the case. Until they treat them like Nintendo does and goes FULL IN (as in actually building one of their flagship titles around it) then it'll do the same

Well, Nintendo was first when it came to motion control, and Wii was built with it in mind. Move was just an attempt to get in the market that the Wii captured.

Now Sony is first in introducing VR this gen (for console anyways), so it has every chance of success, as well as failure.

For titles, Gran Turismo is Sony's FLAGSHIP title and it's VR compatible. Not to mention some titles that will surely sell some VR's like DoA and Tekken 7. Specially in Japan where they have weird and quirky games all the time.

pager99

I remember reading move had sold upwards of 12 million, not a runaway success like Kinect but it did good numbers

Move sold millions so why wouldn't PSVR do the same?

He did say few millions that can be from 2 million to 5 million, which is a good reasonable number for a 35 million PS4 userbase by the time it comes out.

About 15M through November 2012. Also, there were plenty of games that supported Move, including "flagship" titles like Killzone.

Move was an amazing product, and it was well supported. If Sony failed the Move, it was in allowing people such as yourself to remain grossly uninformed about it, though they certainly weren't getting much assistance from the press in that regard.

majik13

Is this survey implying that VR will melt your eyes off?

edit: also over the last few months I have a great and greater feeling the PSVR could end up being the VR front runner, for at least games. But there are still lots of unknowns.

Oh wow, PSVR #1 and Oculus #3 is actually surprising. I mean obviously PlayStation has massive brand recognition, but Oculus has been making massive waves for years and were at the forefront. Goes to show that branding and price-point really make or break.

Zaptruder

Banned

Based on larger install base (25 million PS4s vs a few million that meets the requirements for PC VR), coupled with availability in more retail spaces and likely a larger marketing push.

jond76

Banned
I read the title and just think : and how many of those %20 reliably follow through with promises they make on internet surveys?

It will be interesting to see how well these devices do once they hit retail.

Top Bottom