• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third creator Valhalla Game Studios in court against Valhalla Motion Pictures

It's a trademark dispute, over I'm guessing both the name and logo:

Valhalla Motion Pictures
valhalla-motion-pictures-85310106.jpg

Valhalla Game Studio
Valhalla_Game_Studios_logo.jpeg

I don't really have much to add, just thought that was interesting! Just another problem for the game studio to deal with. The case is going to be heard this Friday at a special event in Loyola Law School.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Given the movie studio has been around since 98 I assume they are suing Itagaki and not the other way around (which is what the thread title seems to imply).

DrArchon

I mean, when you go with Valhalla as your name there's only so many iconic Norse images you can go with and the viking longboat is definitely one of them.

I personally think that there's enough differences for there not to be a problem, what with one of them being a movie studio and the other being in the business of movies.

Yeah this looks like a bit of a stretch. But oh well after the trouble before the release of DT, the garbage outcome of the game after release and now this, Itagaki can't catch a break.

EoinOL

You can trademark a ship's sails?
You can't, but the mark isn't just "a ship's sails", it's:

the wording "VALHALLA MOTION PICTURES" below a ship on open water in front of a crescent moon on a shaded background.

Valhalla Motion Pictures also own similar marks for Valhalla Entertainment and Valhalla Television.

The Valhalla Games Studios mark is similar enough - it doesn't include a crescent moon, but it does have everything else. It would probably fail the "moron in a hurry" test for trademark infringement (though this is not a standard). Trademark disputes can get quite silly, but this is very far from the worst.

Anyone who is curious can see the opposition filing here.

Fdkn

there was a spanish metal band called valhalla some years ago. They should sue them both for the lulz

this is stupid

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You can't, but the mark isn't just "a ship's sails", it's:

Valhalla Motion Pictures also own similar marks for Valhalla Entertainment and Valhalla Television.

The Valhalla Games Studios mark is similar enough - it doesn't include a crescent moon, but it does have everything else. It would probably fail the "moron in a hurry" test for trademark infringement (though this is not a standard). Trademark disputes can get quite silly, but this is very far from the worst.

Anyone who is curious can see the opposition filing here.

That's not how the "moron in a hurry" test works.
It's actually kind the opposite, meaning a person of average intelligence could fall for it and not only a moron quickly passing-by and mistaking a logo for another.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's a trademark dispute, over I'm guessing both the name and logo:

Valhalla Motion Pictures
valhalla-motion-pictures-85310106.jpg

Valhalla Game Studio
Valhalla_Game_Studios_logo.jpeg

I don't really have much to add, just thought that was interesting! Just another problem for the game studio to deal with. The case is going to be heard this Friday at a special event in Loyola Law School.
Everyone should be sued by Digital Illusions(DICE)
GW212H168

Especially Valhalla game studios, it has a shameless ripoff of DI logo

Top Bottom