• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: From sex symbol to icon: How Crystal Dynamics saved Lara Croft

"The first thing we talked about was how do we think about Lara differently?" said Briggs. "We wanted to rebuild her as one of the most believable women in video games." They rebooted the character, making the game an origin story. This version of Lara had her voice involuntarily tremble when she was forced to kill. You felt her agony as she reached inside herself for the courage to save her kidnapped friend.

At the center was Camilla Luddington’s performance as Lara. Rather that the comical quips of the earlier Lara Croft, Luddington perfectly projected a young girl often unsure of herself. Rather than sex appeal, the essence of the new Lara Croft became the struggle she felt within herself.

John Stafford is the lead narrative designer at Crystal Dynamics, and when he talks about the new Lara, his reserve breaks and his voice bubbles with pride. "The Tomb Raider reboot had a universally relatable theme: survival," said Stafford. "For this one, she’s pushing to become more. This time, she’s making a choice to put herself in harm’s way."

Lots more at the article: http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/11/9712168/tomb-raider-lara-croft-sex-symbol-icon

pizzacat

Banned
Having just played DE, they both had forgettable characters tbh

I could be wrong and they expanded a lot in the sequel but ehhh

stufte

She's *actually* sexy now, compared to whatever weird version of sexy she was supposed to be before.

I'm reading the article right now, but just based on the title, the only thing making Lara a sex symbol was her appearance (which was somewhat mandated on the dev for having the game star a female character). As a character/personality wise, the classic Lara is still amount one of the best female main characters in gaming. She was always iconic for reasons other than JUST her boobs

Mithos

She's *actually* sexy now, compared to whatever weird version of sexy she was supposed to be before.

Better start running, or the mob will come after you for keeping her "sexy".

I agree, Lara is even sexier now then before

Veelk

Banned
I do find the evolution of Lara pretty interesting. The fact that she was one of the first empowered female protagonists in games is probably as significant as the fact that she is archtypical example of sexual objectification.

It's almost like she needed to be sexually objectified to be given a shot at having her own game, but now that her gender is less of a question, they're peeling away the unnecessary layers.

I wish she was better written in the games (I haven't played RotTR yet), but she's gotten famous enough that her importance transcends the games she's in.

RM8

I like her design in Tempe of Osiris. It's cool, classy, yet feels like classic Lara Croft (unlike her reboot self, IMO).

Kosma

Banned
Uuuh imho they just updated lara to 2010s sexy standards

In the 90s it was more about that Pam Anderson look now its about more natural

Into

What the!?

Lara Croft was behind Mario and maybe Sonic the most iconic video game character of the mid to late 90s, she was on every magazine known to man.

This new Lara is not going to be plastered everywhere nor have the same impact as the original.

She was a sex symbol and icon back then, today its just a character.

I'm reading the article right now, but just based on the title, the only thing making Lara a sex symbol was her appearance (which was somewhat mandated on the dev for having the game star a female character). As a character/personality wise, the classic Lara is still amount one of the best female main characters in gaming. She was always iconic for reasons other than JUST her boobs

Back then, she was pretty much defined by her boobs. Regardless of how she was written, that's what people of that era latched on to. That being said, it was a pleasant surprise to play the first few Core games for the first time ever last year and see that Lara exuded confidence and was a pretty solid character, with the "fan service" never really coming up outside of her appearance.

The revisionist history about the old Lara is such bullshit. Yeah, in terms of marketing she was pushed as a sex symbol. But for the most part in Core's games she was always a strong adventurer. She controlled shit in her games. I don't see why she has to be ragdolled around and bloodied to be made believable.

Hedge

How did the reboot make her relatable exactly? From watching my BF play I don't think I noticed much in way of character.

But that said, I love her redesign. Much more fitting.

nynt9

She's still sexy. Just not in a 90s way but in a 2010s way. And the writing is terrible. She was more of an icon back in the day, people don't really care about her anymore. Some care about her games, but not about her - she's basically a non-character. Her design is also super generic now.

mattp

yeah i dont know man..
yes her classic design was ridiculous, and a lot of the marketing for the games had her creepy design posed in all kinds of "provocative" positions (aka appealing to horny 12 year old boys)

but in the actual games classic lara as actually pretty rad

the new lara is shallow as fuck. they hyped up her arc so much but then you get the game and she basically has a breakdown in 1 cutscene over killing someone...and then proceeds to murder an entire island without batting an eye.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Huh, if anything, Lara Croft has lost nearly all of her icon-status over the last decade.

CD is slowly but surely bringing it back in a way that isn't overly drenched in sex-appeal. But they have a LONG way to go.

Faustek

The Lara redesign was amazing...... the game itself though was a really bad Tomb Raider

Yepp, I don't want to deny the games its merit. It stands by it self but it was not a Tomb Raider game from my perspective. Still, cool that so many people like this new thing.

Samara

Rhianna is a terrible writer as is seen in her past work.
As for Lara's look, in Underworld, her body was actually fit. She looked the part of an acrobat or athletic built. There was 2 or 3 questionable outfits, but it as become a lot better since.

Yeah, that's all a load of bollocks. She's still sexualised, she's no where near the icon she once was, and the combination of poor writing and shitty voice acting made her easily the weakest incarnation of Lara personality wise.

I mean I loved the reboot, but the addition of a bow aside, they rather badly fucked up with how they handled both Lara and the general staples of the Tomb Raider franchise pretty thoroughly.

The responses in this thread are really negative about the way Lara was portrayed as a character in the 2013 reboot, though I'm confused as to why. The game doesn't have a great story or anything, but nothing about her stood out to me as noticeably bad compared to other AAA video game characters and narratives. Honestly I found her and the story in general to be slightly above average.

Lara became one of the best-written, emotionally relatable women in gaming history.

Seriously?
Writing must've really improved in the new one because based on the first game that is quite a stretch.

Giolon

I hate what Crystal Dynamics has done with Lara and the franchise in their most recent reboot. What they had done w/ Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld was the greatest incarnation Lara had - a more quippy, James Bond-esque grand adventure. Admittedly the games had some gameplay issues (though I maintain Legend is the best romp of the entire series).

I don't want realistic Lara. I want larger than life Lara - in all aspects. Physicality, personality, lifestyle. It's a shame they went chasing after Uncharted so hard, but understandable why they'd do it. Unfortunately, that means that Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are pretty much over for me.

Edge Magazine had an article making similar points in their Nov 2015 issue, that it was nice to see I wasn't alone in my opinion.

Whompa02

Polygon is too close to videogames...to the a casual eye

This is an Icon:

MarioSMBW.png

This is a random videogame female:

New_Lara_Croft.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I don't mind Luddington's portrayal of Lara Croft, it works for what they are going for, but CD is giving themselves waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much credit here. Original Lara was cool and pragmatic, and a lot of people liked her too.

The responses in this thread are really negative about the way Lara was portrayed as a character in the 2013 reboot, though I'm confused as to why. The game doesn't have a great story or anything, but nothing about her stood out to me as noticeably bad compared to other AAA video game characters and narratives. Honestly I found her and the story in general to be slightly above average.

I think what people are saying, is that she became a generic character. And instead of being a hard as nails protagonist (as in the old games), she was moaning and groaning her way though the game.

DevilFox

I don't even know where to start to disagree. If Lara is a good character, may God help us. And please tell me how she's now more iconic and less sexy than in the 90s, seriously.

Because I'd you've played the older games, as I'm sure much if the negative commenters in here have, you'll know she was a much better character before. The only significant positive chance CD has made is in her design. Lara was sexy, confident, in charge and essentially what a female Indiana Jones would be like.

forrest

formerly nacire
From gaming icon to an avatar pretty devoid of character that I really couldn't care less about honestly.

I enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot. It was a well made game, albeit not a great Tomb Raider game. Yes I reside in that camp of thought. Anyhow, does anyone really feel that the new Lara is that great of a character? Aesthetically, yes, they have done a fine job making her more believable and realistic, but does anyone really care that much about her character? She was more of a means to an end for me. A vehicle to use to partake in the gameplay and progression systems. I guess the charaters and story were serviceable overall, but I certainly didn't feel there were any industry milestones at play here.

Zaph

Really enjoyed Tomb Raider, but that was in spite of any characterisation. Lara could have been anyone.

I hope that's improved for Rise of, but I doubt it while Camilla Luddington is involved. She's a terrible actor.

Top Bottom