• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Fried or Oven Baked

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best way to cook a Turkey on Thanksgiving? Share your stories.

How-Deep-Fry-Turkey.jpg

VS.

slow-turkey-3.jpg

tumblr_inline_ne49tfJL071sdv3m5.gif

I've never had Deep Fried Turkey myself. But we're having Friendsgiving and my wife's friends boyfriend Deep Fries every year and says it only takes an hour to cook and taste really good.

We're in hour 2 of baking our Turkey right now and I'm starving....

I'm laughing at all the people who think deep frying turkey is weird. Yeah I thought so too when I first heard the idea, but it turns out REALLY well, and it's not greasy/artery clogging depending on the type of oil you cook it in

DJ_Lae

I picked up a deep fryer big enough for a turkey so I could try it out, although I hate deep frying smaller amounts of stuff so dumping a turkey in, indoors, is a little daunting.

I also want to try spatchcocking a turkey - I've done it with chicken before so I know what to expect, but I may need some tougher shears if I want to snip through the rib bones on a turkey.

Deep fried turkey is best when eaten on the same day. It dries up really bad the next day.
Oven baked is good and stays juicy the next day.
So my answer is both.

Brakke

Banned
We deep fried once, it was great, the bird itself probably came out superior. However, T Day for us isn't about have the Best Possible Bird. There's a certain tradition to the roasting. Plus if we deep fry then Grandma Teaching A Grandkid To Make Gravy just isn't the same. Plus, roast bird is good, too.

Once I have a family and my folks start coming around to my place for Thnaksgiving I think I'll make my tradition to fry it.

Smoked is great too; here's a good guide:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/11/the-food-lab-step-by-step-guide-smoking-turkey.html

The gravy from smoked turkey drippings is amazing.

If you do anything other than deep-fry it, you definitely want to spatchcock it so it cooks more evenly.

I never knew the word "spatchcock" but now I'm going to use it all the time. Thanks.

DJ_Lae

Had no idea people deep fried turkeys. Or that there were home friers big enough.

Most people use a giant pot (doubles for crab/crawfish boils) on a propane burner outside. Naturally, it's kind of dangerous, and any sort of water or ice on the turkey will result in oil flying out, oozing down the sides and into the flames...which has about the result you'd expect.

I've got an older version of this for indoor use. It's also great if you want to deep fry a massive batch of chicken wings or fried chicken.

Now I'm craving some.

nullref

The One and Done™;186898757 said:
What's the logic here?

The stuffing absorbs a lot of raw turkey juices as the bird cooks. By the time you've cooked the stuffing enough to make it safe, you've overcooked the bird.

Zane

The One and Done™;186898757 said:
What's the logic here?

From Alton Brown himself:

"When it comes to turkey, Stuffing Is Evil. That's because stuffing goes into the middle of the bird and is extremely porous. That means that as the turkey around it cooks, juices that may contain salmonella bacteria soak into the stuffing, which then must be cooked to a minimum of 165°F in order to be safe. Getting the stuffing to this temperature usually means overcooking the turkey.

The way I see it, cooking stuffing inside a turkey turns the turkey into a rather costly seal-a-meal bag. If you're a stuffing fan, I suggest cooking it separately (in which case it's "dressing," not stuffing) and inserting it into the bird while it rests. Odds are no one will notice the difference."

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've never actually had a deep fried turkey for thanksgiving but I'm sure it is delicious.

I've only had fried turkey once, several years ago. It was/is the best tasting turkey I've ever had. The smells coming from it once it'd been in the oil for a while were amazing.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The One and Done™;186900608 said:
How big is your family? Yeesh.
Not that big, we usually have quite a lot of leftovers actually. An awful lot of baked stuff from my sister, shrimp for some reason(it looks pretty), along with the usual thanksgiving stuff like two pans of mac and cheese and several meats, multiple pies and cheesecake. Gonna be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom