• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Fried or Oven Baked

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Deep fried a turkey for the first time this year. Amazing! So juicy and delicious, not too mention fast as shit and left the oven open for other dishes.

thespot84

you can still do stuffing in an oven baked bird without ruining the bird, you just pack it in cheesecloth and remove it before the bird is done to finish it in a different oven or on a range.

Also butter the inside of the skin as was mentioned, along with cheesecloth soaked in white wine and butter that is laid over the bird and constantly basted. The bird comes out amazing and the skin is something worthy of the OPs pic.

soco

Oven baked, but brined and or consistently butter stuffed & basted.

deep frying can be ok if the right person does it, but you can still dry out the turkey that way.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You can't get the drippings needed for a proper gravy from deep frying.

That is why you buy some other bits of turkey like the gizzards and some tail nubs and throw them in a pressure cooker....amazing drippings for gravy and treats for dogs!

That is why you buy some other bits of turkey like the gizzards and some tail nubs and throw them in a pressure cooker....amazing drippings for gravy and treats for dogs!

Oh, I keep a stock pot running all day filled with necks and wings that I've roasted to bulk up the drippings, but nothing quite matches the stuff sitting in the bottom of that roasting pan.

I'm going non-traditional this year, though (service industry, so I'm having my Thanksgiving a day later). Having braised short ribs. I make a damn good turkey, but ultimately it's just not my favorite meat.

masud

Banned
Smoked

Fried or baked are about the same. It's easier to make a good fried Turkey but if you know what you're doing you can make one in the oven that's just as good.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Deep frying a whole fucking turkey.

18m7tuyanxopfjpg.jpg

There's a machine that does it now from the comfort of your own apartment. I found out about it too late this year but next thanksgiving, its on!

EDIT:
Is it just me or was Turkey really expensive this year?

Brakke

Banned
We always roast. It's just not thanksgiving without Grandma teaching some grandkid to make gravy from the pan, you know? We fried once and the bird was better but the Thanksgiving experience was worse.

When I have a family and a household and my folks are coming to my place, I'll probably start up a new fried-bird tradition. As long as I'm going to my folks' place, roast is fine.

Apt101

Baked. No doubt. One can get more flavors in that way. Deep frying pretty much kills any spices one rubs into and under the skin.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Yes, please do continue to tell us how to cook a meal made from a bird indigenous to our own nation.

Insufferable non-us jackassery in these types of threads is reaching overdrive lately.

???

I was referring to the deep-fried butter.

Deep Fried Turkey I'm sure is delicious.

You a little bit mad?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You can grill a turkey, too.
Deep-fried is best.
Baked is worst, by far.

SRG01

Sous Vide.
Roasting also works, a lot of people don't do it right, however, and turn people off with dry turkey.

Can Sous Vide actually cook a Turkey evenly? I was under the impression that it's only effective for smaller things like steaks...

ohkay

Can Sous Vide actually cook a Turkey evenly? I was under the impression that it's only effective for smaller things like steaks...
I only cooked the breast meat, but you'd have to cook the dark meat separately at a higher temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom