• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City Hunter | Netflix, 25th April | It's like a Yakuza side story became a movie

YCoCg

That's the best way I can describe it, it's based on a Japanese comic that's popular over there but the entire style of this movie just reminds me of the crazy side stories in the Yakuza/Judgement series so if you liked those in the games then this movie should be right up your alley.

MachRc

Oh man I'm watching it now as my wife put it on and she is loving it.

This actor would have made a great Spike for cowboy bebop

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Odd vibes from this. It’s like, in-character and somewhat way off at the same time.

I read the manga quite a few times in the past. It was way more comedy than drama, with some very serious bits here and there. Imagine something a bit less quirky than Dr. Slump, but still going for that vibe most of the time. Quite hard to render in live action. Especially Ryo’s massive erection, truly his best superpower.

Toots

Gold Member
OP Im pretty sure City Hunter was an inspiration for Yakuza not the other way around.
Ryo Saeba could be the hero of his own Yakuza spin off easily.
He's one of the best manga heroes ever. He simply cannot miss.

Overall one of the best manga ever, silly most of the time but when it starts getting serious watch out, you might even cry a little if you're sensitive like me.

I'll watch this without too much expectation, i hope netfliw didn't screw the pouch on this one.

mitch1971

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Stitch

Gold Member
The Jackie City Hunter is fun, but a pretty bad adaptation actually. The french Nicky Larson one was even more faithful.

Weird how this is the first japanese attempt. They usually love their live action stuff.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

RavageX

Im not sure what to think really. (I liked the Jackie Chan version, its so bad though) I might try it??? Maybe.

NahaNago

Well the netflix city hunter was something. From what I vaguely remember of the Jackie Chan version, Jackie's version destroys this netflix version. Netflix City Hunter is super human strong though and deadly with a gun. He was a little too over the top compared to everyone else though except for maybe the villain's main henchmen.

Ulysses 31

Netflix City Hunter is super human strong though and deadly with a gun. He was a little too over the top compared to everyone else though except for maybe the villain's main henchmen.
That seems in line with the anime where Ryo is also OP with sniper like accuracy hitting stuff hitting far away targets with his Python 357 Magnum. Dude could even hear a gun cocking from across the street. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Nothing will beat the Jackie Chan City Hunter movie. Still one of my favorite movies of all time, I still can’t stop laughing while watching it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Netflix City Hunter is super human strong though and deadly with a gun. He was a little too over the top compared to everyone else though except for maybe the villain's main henchmen.
I mean… that’s Ryo Saeba for you.
In the manga the man had superhuman hearing, he could shoot a target from ridiculous distances, could hold his breath for record times, etc. The only thing he could almost never anticipate was Kaori’s hammer (and when he managed to, he usually got himself into something worse).

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Never seen the anime, but just finished watching the Netflix movie with my girlfriend and we both really enjoyed it. I wish for more.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Im not sure what to think really. (I liked the Jackie Chan version, its so bad though) I might try it??? Maybe.
Not bad at all, early Jackie films are pure kino. Single movie has more passion than the entire marvel universe slop.

NahaNago

That seems in line with the anime where Ryo is also OP with sniper like accuracy hitting stuff hitting far away targets with his Python 357 Magnum. Dude could even hear a gun cocking from across the street. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I mean… that’s Ryo Saeba for you.
In the manga the man had superhuman hearing, he could shoot a target from ridiculous distances, could hold his breath for record times, etc. The only thing he could almost never anticipate was Kaori’s hammer (and when he managed to, he usually got himself into something worse).
It's been a really long time since I've seen the anime. I don't mind the sniper accuracy or the superhuman hearing it is the way he fights that threw me off. He almost seemed like captain america when fighting.

Top Bottom