• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Fried or Oven Baked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that big, we usually have quite a lot of leftovers actually. An awful lot of baked stuff from my sister, shrimp for some reason(it looks pretty), along with the usual thanksgiving stuff like two pans of mac and cheese and several meats, multiple pies and cheesecake. Gonna be fun.

That sounds awesome. What kind of shrimp? Mind posting a pic?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The One and Done™;186901658 said:
That sounds awesome. What kind of shrimp? Mind posting a pic?
I question the purpose because it's always the first thing gone.
b5ce9792-6cff-4202-8xapos.jpeg

DJ_Lae

Getting a juicy turkey from the oven isn't impossible, either - just harder. Brining helps a lot, as well as making sure it doesn't overcook. Put a wet cheesecloth over the breast as it cooks the fastest. I've only spatchcocked smaller birds but it should help a lot with turkey too.

Most people stuff the turkey and measure the doneness from that stuffing, so by the time the inside is safe to eat you've pushed the breast meat past 200F and it's basically sawdust.

I'm curious, but how exactly is a deep fried turkey "juicy?"
That's not juice. That's oil. I think you mean "greasy."

Which is fine.

Which is fine.

The high-temp oil crisps the skin, helping seal on the meat juice.

It's actually not that much work; the pot lid has a hooked skewer that you run through the bird and submerge. Put it outside in a safe area and watch Barbershop, checking in periodically.

The high-temp oil crisps the skin, helping seal on the meat juice.

It's actually not that much work; the pot lid has a hooked skewer that you run through the bird and submerge. Put it outside in a safe area and watch Barbershop, checking in periodically.

Neat. I've never had it. Probably should.

Hazmat

Some people are laughing at the idea of a fried turkey, but you'll notice that none of the people that have had it have anything bad to say about it. It's quite tasty.

Some people are laughing at the idea of a fried turkey, but you'll notice that none of the people that have had it have anything bad to say about it. It's quite tasty.

You make a valid point. I'll be purchasing a deep fryer from Amazon tomorrow for Black Friday. There are so many things you can deep fry it's crazy

Velcoro

I've actually never tasted one before. We always cook ours in the oven. Will try it next year.

ryseing

I really want to get one of those Bojangles deep fried ones next year.

For the record, I generally don't like turkey (have to put plenty of gravy/cranberry sauce on it to get it down) so whatever way to improve it is a OK by me.

ElRenoRaven

Used to be team baked but we fried our first today and man you season it up and cook it right and you end up with some amazing damn turkey. Easy to do too with the new indoor fryers.

way more

Which is fine.

Deep frying is not unhealthy if there is no breading. Just because you stick a turkey in two gallons of peanut oil it doesn't mean you are eating two gallons of oil. Since you are frying meat the oil has no way to penetrate into the food. It's not like breading.

The oil that remains on the turkey is negligible and would not contribute in any meaningful way to the calorie or fat content. You could even wipe the oil off if you were that uneducated and concerned.

I've never done it because it sounds like a whole ordeal and then you got kids running around like morons and the house could burn down. But to say that it's unhealthy is just misguided. Now afterwards I would totally make deep fried snickers bars and twinkies and that would be fattening as fuck.

Drensch

Sous Vide.
Roasting also works, a lot of people don't do it right, however, and turn people off with dry turkey.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Brined and smoked >> fried >>>>>>>>> oven baked.

I used to love fried poultry, then I did a turkey last year on my big green egg. Best turkey I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom