• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Upstream supply chain expects new Nintendo games console to achieve 10-12 mil

entremet

This was buried in the NX new media patent thread, but it's new news.

Thanks to Gameseeker.

RUMOR - RUMOR - RUMOR

Digitimes Article:

"Nintendo's new game console is scheduled to enter mass production at the end of the first quarter 2016 and despite the fact that the Japan-based company is targeting to ship 20 million units in 2016, the device's upstream component suppliers expect shipments to only reach around 10-12 million units. The new console is estimated to enter mass shipments in the second quarter."

Note: Digitimes is a well respected publication, but they publish both factual and rumor type stories. This is clearly a RUMOR story.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

Production volumes of NX in second quarter 2016 would allow Nintendo to stockpile enough units for a Fall or Holiday 2016 launch, so at least from the hardware side things look to be on track. The bigger challenge for Nintendo will be getting the OS and games ready for launch. If, as many suspect, NX has a new architecture vs. Wii/Wii U then the software will be a significant challenge and probably the gating item for product launch.

redcrayon

despite the fact that the Japan-based company is targeting to ship 20 million units in 2016, the device's upstream component suppliers expect shipments to only reach around 10-12 million units.
This implies the supplier thinks they will only ship 10-12 million of the 20 million target in 2016, not lifetime as the thread title suggests.

Oberon

Banned
They've already conviced me

nintendo_horse-riding_patent_2-1.jpg

entremet

I copy and pasted the Digitimes title, but honestly it sucks.

If anyone wants to make a more accurate title, please let me know and I'll have a mod update.

I just ran out of space.

Or just merge it with the other. It has a better title.

MarkusRJR

I feel like it might be possible. I totally expect a new 3D Mario and Zelda Wii U port (ala Twilight Princess), along with a few more surprises considering it's Nintendo. If they end up making two variants (portable and home console) and have them reasonably priced I could imagine it being popular.

Well, better than the disaster launch of Wii U.

georly

It's going to need one hell of a launch lineup for that to happen. Retailers (in the US at least) will need to see preorder numbers before they commit to that much. No one wants a wii u 2.

They wouldn't wait for E3 to announce this if the supposed launch date is in the fall, right?

I would expect the first concrete details about it will be around the next investor meeting. Jan-Feb. They won't be in damage limitation mode for Christmas sales by then so it should be easier to discuss, unless the mobile and account delay has knock-on effects to their plans.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I expect Zelda(WiiU), new Mario and Pokémon Z(3DS) on NX for the launch.

Even WiiU and it's horrible launch managed to ship like 6 million copies in its first month, a NX Homeconsole and handheld will be able to hit +10 million shipments if they launch worldwide next year.
Can a hybrid come in under $350?
It won't be a hybrid. Expecting the handheld for200usd and the home system for max 250usd.

Of course 20 million is much. What the hell.

May be they are too confident and found something like Wii in gimmick to attract casuals again. There is no way they can sell that many consoles to gamers in first year without something exciting like Wii and big launch library (which i really doubt especially with 3rd party support in very short time). Also we have to consider that next year is big year for PS4 in game library and VR.

entremet

Of course 20 million is much. What the hell.

Again, this is supply chain stuff. They're readying capacity for that much WW. Factories need to work that way so Nintendo gets the best prices in manufacturing.

These are also not Nintendo estimates of sell through the customer, but supply chain capacity.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If they expect that many sales it must be super cheap.
Not super cheap... Just worth the asking price. WiiU and 3DS were failures in that department. Next holiday season you will get PS4 and Xbox One systems for sub 250 us doors. Don't expect Nintendo to release a system that is more expensive.

Sulik2

Is this the first major smoke we have seen that the NX is Fall 2016? Mas production starting early 2016 would indicate a fall release. That would also mean Zelda is gonna get dual launch on Wii U and NX like Twilight Princess did most liekly.

If they are selling a console and handheld separately, this isn't a crazy prediction. Many people will be buying both.

NX Console: 4-5.5m

NX Handheld: 5-7m

That's probably where the numbers should be if we hope this next approach from Nintendo to be a success. WiiU sold (or shipped?) 4m through its first holiday, so NX really should hopefully outperform that.

Nintendo can't continue to screw around though. Show us the goods! If they want this to be a success they need to unveil it January/Febuary, tell us what it is, what its about and start building hype.

The launch line ups HAVE to be better than what 3ds and WiiU were as well. Neither system had any game worthy of making people need to run out and buy the things the first day. Hopefully each have a big title ready on day one.

Xbox One was announced in May and released in fall.

Not quite E3, but close.

I think it depends how much Nintendo wants to control it's own message. Like, the solid rumours have to start rolling in around February. With XB1 we basically knew everything including the shitty online plans way before reveal.

AlucardGV

Banned
As long as third parties are ahead of this I'm down for a new console next year.

eh. nintendo really has to fix their problem with the third parties. nintendo consoles are perceived like "nintendo machines for nintendo games" and this is a problem for third parties sales. for the last 2 consoles this problem was aggravated by hardware limitations, because nintendo chose a different time span. sure nx will probably be more powerful than xbone and ps4, but with ps5 and xbox two (?) out will we see again a console incapable of supporting the last engine updates and minimun specs requested?
i remember that Wii and Wiiu both had nice videos of enthusiast developers talking about it.

Falchion

I didn't but a Wii U last week just because the NX is so close and I want to know about backwards compatibility before I grab one.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
12 millions is more or less all WiiU sold in its lifetime right?

10,730,000 by 30 September, but will be easy > 12 million by end of year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OT: WHAT!?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Again, this is supply chain stuff. They're readying capacity for that much WW. Factories need to work that way so Nintendo gets the best prices in manufacturing.

These are also not Nintendo estimates of sell through the customer, but supply chain capacity.
Well to be fair, it's Digitimes so maybe I reacted wrongly because it's just bullshit.

May be they are too confident and found something like Wii in gimmick to attract casuals again. There is no way they can sell that many consoles to gamers in first year without something exciting like Wii and big launch library (which i really doubt especially with 3rd party support in very short time). Also we have to consider that next year is big year for PS4 in game library and VR.

I said it before but the NX release is going to hit Xbone particularly hard.

Top Bottom