• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble SNK NeoGeo 25th Anniversary bundle, including several PC debut games

Tizoc

faCpsih.png

Let's try:

Blues Journey, Ghost Pilot, Samurai Showdown, ???

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Neo_Geo_games

Pulstar's position negates this, since It comes after the latter T for The Last Blade.

Used to be one could check the HB page's data to find out what additions will be, would really like to know myself tbh.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So close to dipping, I played the demos of Shock Troopers 1/2 and they are amazingly fun, like a top down Metal Slug. So basically Commando with amazing 2D spritework.

Tizoc

So close to dipping, I played the demos of Shock Troopers 1/2 and they are amazingly fun, like a top down Metal Slug. So basically Commando with amazing 2D spritework.

I like that ST1 has mult-racial presentation among its playable cast.

So these are just a bunch of roms with a crappy emulator? Minus the ones on steam, I mean.

It's a bunch of ROMs dumped by other people, that they downloaded via torrents, bundled with an emulator they seemingly used without permission.

Basically, let other people do the preservation work, then cobble it together and say "Pay us money." Not entirely new, but not to be encouraged.

petran79

Banned
Waaaah?
Well what I played of the AES yesterday did result in each character's ending showing up.
Just set the game to AES via an emulator and you'll get the ending once you beat Kain.

It had the "coming soon" ending. Does it have to do with the ROM version? I do not remember anything changing whether I set it on home or arcade mode. Though its been over a decade I played that ROM. NGM 253 is the official MAME version. Have they updated it from beta to the final release with included endings?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's a bunch of ROMs dumped by other people, that they downloaded via torrents, bundled with an emulator they seemingly used without permission.

Basically, let other people do the preservation work, then cobble it together and say "Pay us money." Not entirely new, but not to be encouraged.

Eh, it *is* their code. They should be allowed to sell it if they so wish. Besides 10 dollars for all these roms is a pretty sweet deal no matter how you twist and turn it.

Could the packaging be better? Sure. But if you know what you're doing or can get help setting up an emulator that doesn't blow chunks it's totally worth it.

LordCiego

Neo Turf Masters?
Neo Turf Masters!!!

ON THE GREEEEEEEEN!

Worth it if only for the steam versions of Kof98 and Kof2002.

Tizoc

It had the "coming soon" ending. Does it have to do with the ROM version? I do not remember anything changing whether I set it on home or arcade mode. Though its been over a decade I played that ROM. NGM 253 is the official MAME version. Have they updated it from beta to the final release with included endings?

All I can tell you is this.
The ver. of Garou in this bundle is the 100% complete Arcade release, because on Fightcade it shows 'Set 1', for as long as I can remember this is the proper ver. of Garou that MAME and other emulators run as being the full game.
There IS a Beta ver. of Garou on the net, but I've never played it.

So if you get this bundle, and run Garou on an emulator, set it to say, AES and play through the game you will get the proper endings for the characters.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
For those expecting free keys when some of these games are ported to Steam, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Taking a wild guess, I would assume the Steam ports would be a bit more than simple ROM+Emulator packages and have additional features (like the Metal Slug titles on Steam).

Still, this is an extraordinary deal and since they bulk of the games are ROMs I suppose you could just download an emulator with net play functionality if you really want to go online.

It's also possible that SNK will do a Sega and sell these like the Mega Drive/Genesis collection on Steam, which are also just emulated Roms with a frontend.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4839/

I personally think thats more realistic than hoping most of these will get "overhauls" like the Metal Slugs/KOFs, easier money :)

tzare

i'm only interested in the aniversary soundtrack. Anyone know if those are Original (AES sound) or Arranged sountracks?

atr0cious

Anybody get BaseballStars2 to work in an emulator? It keeps giving me errors. Didn't realize how awesome NeoTurfMasters was.

Tizoc

Anybody get BaseballStars2 to work in an emulator? It keeps giving me errors. Didn't realize how awesome NeoTurfMasters was.

I've got Fightcade installed gonna try each game out on it first when I get back home.

In the meantime I'm gonna redownload Retroarch and work my way to getting the dang thing to work @_@

Knurek

Emulator in question?

Retroarch with FBA core + a good CRT filter (the screenshot I posted was made using crt-easymode-halation).
Alternatively Retroarch with MAME core (although MAME implementation in Retroarch is kind of wonky)
Alternatively alternatively MAME with proper HLSL shader. Wish someone with more experience posted one here.

Piccoro

I'm a console gamer but I went ahead and bought it. This is too good to pass up.
And now I have an excuse to finally try Fightcade! :)

Eh, it *is* their code. They should be allowed to sell it if they so wish. Besides 10 dollars for all these roms is a pretty sweet deal no matter how you twist and turn it.

Could the packaging be better? Sure. But if you know what you're doing or can get help setting up an emulator that doesn't blow chunks it's totally worth it.

1. The emulator is a big issue. One of the rules the emulator has is "Don't package this with ROMs." Also, taking emulators without the creator's permission is pretty gross, as that is usually their legal work. Other companies in the past, Sega in particular, have worked with emulator developers to officially purchase or license their software.

2. Again, this isn't unique to them, but they're utilizing the things they've seeked to prevent in the past. These ROMs wouldn't exist if they had their way.

3. People are saying this is a legal path to "owning" the ROMs. But you have to do just enough work that it could possibly qualify as hacking or reverse engineering, meaning that no, you really aren't getting any legal benefit to buying them this way and stripping the ROMs out, unless it makes you feel better to do so.

wazoo

I think the grey area - and it already happened before - is that they do not own/lost the code anymore or are totally incapable to port it to other platforms beside the original arcade board, or both. In that case, they get a ROM from the internet, ROM which has been hacked by dumpers, use emulators, and sell the package with no more added value than the free (and totally "illegal") MAME alternatives.

Yes, they did own the original code, but the process ob bundling these new versions, it is not totally legal.

In fact, even MAME (or whatever the emulator is) could attack them for selling the emulator with the roms.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
1. The emulator is a big issue. One of the rules the emulator has is "Don't package this with ROMs." Also, taking emulators without the creator's permission is pretty gross, as that is usually their legal work. Other companies in the past, Sega in particular, have worked with emulator developers to officially purchase or license their software.

2. Again, this isn't unique to them, but they're utilizing the things they've seeked to prevent in the past. These ROMs wouldn't exist if they had their way.

3. People are saying this is a legal path to "owning" the ROMs. But you have to do just enough work that it could possibly qualify as hacking or reverse engineering, meaning that no, you really aren't getting any legal benefit to buying them this way and stripping the ROMs out, unless it makes you feel better to do so.
¨

I thought dotEmu had coded an emulator of their own to use? You're saying they just took whatever emulator and bundled it with the roms and are selling them as is?

I think the grey area - and it already happened before - is that they do not own/lost the code anymore or are totally incapable to port it to other platforms beside the original arcade board, or both. In that case, they get a ROM from the internet, ROM which has been hacked by dumpers, use emulators, and sell the package with no more added value than the free (and totally "illegal") MAME alternatives.

Yes, they did own the original code, but the process ob bundling these new versions, it is not totally legal.

I mean sure, if they took someone elses emulator code and is making money off of it that's dumb.

It is the same ending for every character even after you fight and beat Kain, despite the rankings. SNK didnt have time to add proper endings to the arcade version. Later DC and PS2 port added proper endings!

I'm pretty sure even the prototype ROM has all the endings.

OmegaDL50

For people using these games via emulation - can I add these games individually to the Steam launcher, without having to open the emulator every time? I'm tempted to just keep DotEmu's interface, lol.

There are workarounds to do this.

There is some applications such as ICE which let you configure a specific emulator and automatically load the specific game and custom settings, with proper Steam banner images.

Of course this naturally is treated like external game added to Steam. So things like Steam trading cards or Steam achievements aren't possible.

In fact, give me some time to show you how to set this up and I'll post a mini-tutorial for those who want to add these non-Steam games to an emulator of their choice and the specific games to generated to populate their library so you can one-click load a game from the library.

The Last Blade counts for L, not T.

Pulstar's position negates this, since It comes after the latter T for The Last Blade.

Used to be one could check the HB page's data to find out what additions will be, would really like to know myself tbh.

So what are the odds of Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 sticking in between Neo Turf Masters and Samurai Shodown II?

It is an R which comes after N and before S.

Please be Real Bout 2...that would be so awesome if it was Real Bout 2.

Oh and Blazing Star...that would be awesome too.

Tizoc

Man...fucking Irem...I really would've loved for Undercover Cop to be added but I doubt anyone even owns the rights to that game anymore ToT

There are workarounds to do this.

There is some applications such as ICE which let you configure a specific emulator and automatically load the specific game and custom settings, with proper Steam banner images.

Of course this naturally is treated like external game added to Steam. So things like Steam trading cards or Steam achievements aren't possible.

In fact, give me some time to show you how to set this up and I'll post a mini-tutorial for those who want to add these non-Steam games to an emulator of their choice and the specific games to generated to populate their library so you can one-click load a game from the library.

So what are the odds of Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 sticking in between Neo Turf Masters and Samurai Shodown II?

It is an R which comes after N and before S.

Please be Real Bout 2...that would be so awesome if it was Real Bout 2.

Oh and Blazing Star...that would be awesome too.

You just mentioned the 2 games I actually want them to add :p

this..
I wanted to bite, but then i heard that most games were not on steam, and i passed..
then I heard about the whole emulator/rom debacle and holy frigging sausage, this is embarassing..
not giving a single dime :)

Tizoc

this..
I wanted to bite, but then i heard that most games were not on steam, and i passed..
then I heard about the whole emulator/rom debacle and holy frigging sausage, this is embarassing..
not giving a single dime :)

You can give all the money to charity and use any other Emulator to play the games.
It's not that big an issue.
Steam has dozens of SEGA Genesis games that are merely the ROMs of said games run through an emulator.

Tizoc

You know what's funny? Real Bout 2 was the last AES game SNK released that DIDN'T have a Training mode and that released in 1998. All other SNK fighters released from that period onward had a training mode.

BTW anyone interested in doing an SNK translation project? Basically we provided screens of the JP text in the game and ask for someone to translate them. I know a lot of people like the Engrish but that only serves to cover whatever the original dialogs and stuff were intended to be.

EDIT: Oh yeah for anyone who is running SamSho 5 Special; the AES ver. can be set to Japanese and be uncensored right?

sp3ctr3

Are u sureu played Shock Troopers 2? It's a prerendered turd of a game. Shock Troopers 1 is amazing though.

I hope all these show up on steam. Especially Pulstar.

Piccoro

Here's a screenshot of some of GameTap's classic game section when they were still active:
3IArYAO.jpg

They had an amazing catalog. And if these ports are really based on GameTap's emulator, we can probably guess what the next games are base on this pic...

Loona

BTW anyone interested in doing an SNK translation project? Basically we provided screens of the JP text in the game and ask for someone to translate them. I know a lot of people like the Engrish but that only serves to cover whatever the original dialogs and stuff were intended to be.

What do you mean by this exactly, and how could a non-Japanese-speaking person help?

Something like screenshotting every bit of Japanese text in a game, organizing/labelling it, then sending it to a translator?

I imagine this could get pretty hard for some of the tougher games like AoF2, especially to get the Geese dialogues - then again, if these runs can run no other emulators, aren't there some emulators that can handle dipswitch cheats or something to make progression easier?...

I'd really love a proper translation of story-critical SNK games like AoF2 and FF3 that replaced the silly placeholders with proper translations.

Tizoc

What do you mean by this exactly, and how could a non-Japanese-speaking person help?

Something like screenshotting every bit of Japanese text in a game, organizing/labelling it, then sending it to a translator?

I imagine this could get pretty hard for some of the tougher games like AoF2, especially to get the Geese dialogues - then again, if these runs can run no other emulators, aren't there some emulators that can handle dipswitch cheats or something to make progression easier?...

I'd really love a proper translation of story-critical SNK games like AoF2 and FF3 that replaced the silly placeholders with proper translations.

Well one could always just record a playthrough video of each character in AoF 2 for example without skipping anything, provide it to someone willing to help with translation, and we can really find out what Jack Turner really wanted to do at the end of AoF2 for example.

wazoo

I haven't even used Nebula in years.

Is that even still regularly updated?

Neogeo/CPSx are quite mature in terms of emulation but still active.

Nebula is frozen. Only Emulators I know are active are MAME and FBA. I am not sure using nebula emulation you can benefit from having the last dumps of the roms.

I felt the same way with Linux. Installed perfectly with 64 bit compatibility and supported my PS4 controller perfectly on Linux Mint. I couldn't be happier with this purchase!

That's great! Glad even in Linux it's a breeze to set up. I'm at my last final for the semster but I'm going to see if the roms work in openemu after. I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

Loona

Well one could always just record a playthrough video of each character in AoF 2 for example without skipping anything, provide it to someone willing to help with translation, and we can really find out what Jack Turner really wanted to do at the end of AoF2 for example.

It's been ages since I last played AoF2, so I don't recall if in a playthrough you fight every other character or just most of them. Just being able to cut out the fighting parts out of the video would help.

I do recall that there are character-pair-specific dialogues between everyone, but I doubt they change depending on arcade mode progression.

Since you can select your own character and your first opponent (except Mr Big), that would get most of the dialogues taken care of early on with no feel for full playthroughs.

Then there'd still be victory quotes, I think, every character's interactions with Geese, and I don't recall if there are special scenes and dialogue when meeting Mr Big in arcade mode. There are also endings and the attract mode text, but I don't expect major changes in that one.
Not sure if there'anything character-specific to the bonus stages, other than character-specific locations and targets for the one where you practice your DM (Jack gets to beat up a Mr Karate statue!).

BadRamen

Here's a screenshot of some of GameTap's classic game section when they were still active:
3IArYAO.jpg

They had an amazing catalog. And if these ports are really based on GameTap's emulator, we can probably guess what the next games are base on this pic...

OMG Sierra Humble Bundle?!

A little question I have for those who are familiar with picking your own charity option at humble bundle. How do you know for certain that the money will go there? Because it says in the info that they are teaming up with paypal charity so I assume you have to process the orders through paypal. However when paying it says nothing about paypal charity thing. Confused honestly.

The fact that we're getting essentially legal ROMS blows my mind

As does the fact that people are focusing on the goddamn emulator licensing issues instead

Top Bottom