• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble SNK NeoGeo 25th Anniversary bundle, including several PC debut games

RedSwirl

I just use a folder in C:. I have a folder called $1ROM with subfolders (using $1 at the start of the name makes it the first file in C: and thus much quicker to navigate to in RetroArch). Made a NeoGeo subfolder, and put one copy of the neogeo.zip bios file in there (got it from Garou, I assume any would work) and then all the individual ROMs (the gamename.zip files). (I assume it's obvious, but jic: don't unzip them.)

I use the core "Arcade (FB Alpha)" - there are several versions of FB Alpha that can be downloaded and I haven't tried any others to see if they work.

Use Load Core to load the core, then Load Content to browse to the folder you created, select the ROM and go.

so pretty.

Apparently whatever I did only worked for Garou. Can't get Fatal Fury Special to boot. You only need ONE of the Bios files right? How does RetroArch know where to look for them? Edit: Maybe it just needs a different core I don't know. I'll try again tomorrow.

YaGaMi

Couldn't resist getting it. Can anyone recommend me some good plug n play controllers.
I tried online on KOF 98 and it was terrible. Is there a version of MAME that you guys can recommend that has an online mode too.

Buying it now and seeing most of these work for Mac just blew my mind. I honestly didn't even think they would because it felt too good to be true.

mneuro

Buying it now and seeing most of these work for Mac just blew my mind. I honestly didn't even think they would because it felt too good to be true.

I felt the same way with Linux. Installed perfectly with 64 bit compatibility and supported my PS4 controller perfectly on Linux Mint. I couldn't be happier with this purchase!

Couldn't resist getting it. Can anyone recommend me some good plug n play controllers.
I tried online on KOF 98 and it was terrible. Is there a version of MAME that you guys can recommend that has an online mode too.

Fightcade has pretty good online. For controllers I use the logitech pad and Qanba Q4raf arcade stick

Edit: KOF 98 is one of the more popular games on fightcade.

Tain

love to play neogeo games at 2.4x speed~

Really though, this is a great deal. Just, lol, use a real emulator.

So apparently this bundle is using an emulator which has stolen code from a homebrew emulator? Not cool, was hoping this would be a legal, non-shady way to get the games on PC...

Any proof? I assume Microsoft licensed MAME for Killer Instinct arcade 1 and 2, why wouldn't SNK

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Because it isn't like SNK can provide MAME or FB Alpha with their ROMs since both programs explicitly have non-commercial licenses which prevents SNK from providing either alongside their commercially sold ROMs. Thus DotEmu gets hired to make their own emulator for these games to be played on.

You're missing the point. If they're going to charge money for this, they should do at least as good of a job as the free alternative.

Tizoc

Yeah just read that, at the very least you can give all the money to charity, and that way you're still getting the ROMs for use on other emulators.

Gonna try out FB Alpha and MAME2010 later today when I get back home.

So if I were to pull the NeoGeo BIOS rom and game roms from these downloads, and put them all in a folder, what's the best emulator for all this stuff that's better than DotEmu's stuff?

Is it MAME? If so, is there an idiots guide to MAME?

Game Guru

You're missing the point. If they're going to charge money for this, they should do at least as good of a job as the free alternative.

MAME has had years of constant development from people so dedicated to making it that they don't expect money from their work. The emulator DotEmu uses doesn't have either those years of development or people willing to work for free on it.

Tizoc

I want Blazing Star to be one of the next added game, just for completion's sake XO
Also Real Bout 2 cuz I need HonFu in my life again, and Art of Fighting 3 for dem graphics

So if I were to pull the NeoGeo BIOS rom and game roms from these downloads, and put them all in a folder, what's the best emulator for all this stuff that's better than DotEmu's stuff?

Is it MAME? If so, is there an idiots guide to MAME?

Been years since I last used MAME but I'm more accustomed to the 2000-2010s versions. Basically you just toss the files into the rom folder in MAME, WHILE RUnning MAME you Right click the game to change the settings. Then while mame is running you assign the buttons or keys.

Word of advice: Play these games in JP ver. for the most part since English releases are either censored, and/or have horrible translation; such things did not age well :V

I want Blazing Star to be one of the next added game, just for completion's sake XO
Also Real Bout 2 cuz I need HonFu in my life again, and Art of Fighting 3 for dem graphics

Been years since I last used MAME but I'm more accustomed to the 2000-2010s versions. Basically you just toss the files into the rom folder in MAME, Right click the game to change the settings. Then while mame is running you assign the buttons or keys.

Word of advice: Play these games in JP ver. for the most part since English releases are either censored, and/or have horrible translation; such things did not age well :V

Rad, thanks.
Just remembered some of the NeoGeo games that Giant Bomb has covered that are not Windjammers, I hope Money Puzzle Exchanger makes it into this. Competitive puzzle games are always awesome.

Tizoc

Been thinking I should do a write up about Garou's systems but then I remember the SRK wiki has it covered really well
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Garou

If that still seems confusing to some (I highly doubt that though) I could do a write up of the system since I'm bored at work :p

Went for $10 option. This was my first humble bundle. Don't play a ton of games on my computer, but for charity I didn't mind.

Glad I get the chance to play some of these. Don't have a lot of NeoGeo experience.

Tizoc

Went for $10 option. This was my first humble bundle. Don't play a ton of games on my computer, but for charity I didn't mind.

Glad I get the chance to play some of these. Don't have a lot of NeoGeo experience.

Don't use the Emulator that comes with these games, use alternatives such Fightcade, Final Burn Alpha, MAME or Retroarch.

mneuro

Don't use the Emulator that comes with these games, use alternatives such Fightcade, Final Burn Alpha, MAME or Retroarch.

If all you are trying to do, (like I was), is load these games and play them full-screen with a controller, the included emulator works perfectly fine.

Thanks for the tip man. I'll try fightcade tomorrow. Once I'm home for winter break I'll try setting up my DS4 too.

Tizoc

Late reply but
* Gently caresses and pinches Tizoc *

Kiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah~

If all you are trying to do, (like I was), is load these games and play them full-screen with a controller, the included emulator works perfectly fine.

You can't remap the buttons though, and the graphic options are really poor.
The other emulators offer a wide range of graphics options that it's worth putting in the time to get the game working on them.
For example
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188448284&postcount=192
DotEmu said:
pcYKtmf.jpg

Using Other emulator said:

Another image said:

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
In for all games. Thanks for the heads up, OP. Love me some old school SNK.

Nice to legally own these games after all these years. :)

Tizoc

So these are just a bunch of roms with a crappy emulator? Minus the ones on steam, I mean.

Correct, but since you're getting the ROMs in a legal manner you can just apply them to your preferred emulator and run them for better performance.
Except maybe Metal Slug 2, unless someone found a way to fix the slowdown in it :V

The Orz

For those expecting free keys when some of these games are ported to Steam, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Taking a wild guess, I would assume the Steam ports would be a bit more than simple ROM+Emulator packages and have additional features (like the Metal Slug titles on Steam).

Still, this is an extraordinary deal and since they bulk of the games are ROMs I suppose you could just download an emulator with net play functionality if you really want to go online.

Tizoc

For those expecting free keys when some of these games are ported to Steam, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Taking a wild guess, I would assume the Steam ports would be a bit more than simple ROM+Emulator packages and have additional features (like the Metal Slug titles on Steam).

Still, this is an extraordinary deal and since they bulk of the games are ROMs I suppose you could just download an emulator with net play functionality if you really want to go online.

Good point, regardless $10 for this bundle is still worth it if you use Emulators, I mean the dang thing comes with Neo Turf Masters, supposedly the greatest Golf game ever made or so I'm told @_@

Syril

Correct, but since you're getting the ROMs in a legal manner you can just apply them to your preferred emulator and run them for better performance.
Except maybe Metal Slug 2, unless someone found a way to fix the slowdown in it :V
Would that even be possible? All the slowdown is just how it ran right? Isn't that why they made Metal Slug X?

Tizoc

Would that even be possible? All the slowdown is just how it ran right? Isn't that why they made Metal Slug X?

I hadn't tested MS2 myself yet, but will when I get home later today. Gonna run it in an emu and see if the emulator can fix the slowdown or not :X

Drago

Need help with getting the roms, I'm assuming that all the files are in the neogeo.zip folder but what files am I looking for? There's a lot of junk

Am I even in the right place? lol
Feeling really stupid right now

Good point, regardless $10 for this bundle is still worth it if you use Emulators, I mean the dang thing comes with Neo Turf Masters, supposedly the greatest Golf game ever made or so I'm told @_@

It is :) the only golf game I actually really enjoy to this very day, I don't even like golf.

Sorry, I called you out on that and now I feel bad, LOL

Yup, paying money for a legal copy of the game. Doesn't matter if it's emulated or not. Watch that attitude around here.

Indeed. Paying money for ROMS with packaged emulators is nothing new. That's what so many compilation packs have been released over the last decade or so. That is also the Virtual Console and PSone Classics.

Tizoc

Need help with getting the roms, I'm assuming that all the files are in the neogeo.zip folder but what files am I looking for? There's a lot of junk

Am I even in the right place? lol
Feeling really stupid right now

The neo geo file that comes with each game has the AES files.
If you run the game via Fightcade, click the upper left option and select dipswitch while a game is running.
Switch to AES, choose Universal bios and restart the game.
Should now give you the AES menu.

petran79

Banned
Does this version of Garou include the complete storymode?
Dreamcast, PS2 (Xbox360 too?) versions had unique story mode and ending for each character, even exposing Tizoc's face and Hotaru finding her brother. They also had arranged soundtrack.

Whereas the original arcade mode had the same ending for every character, thus missing a great deal of character development.

Wow, surprised to see Pulstar on there.

Great game, great OST.

Too bad they did not add the Neo Geo CD version with arranged soundtrack.
Too bad they ignore Neo Geo CD emulation completely....

Syril

Dreamcast, PS2 (Xbox360 too?) versions had unique story mode and ending for each character, even exposing Tizoc's face and Hotaru finding her brother. They also had arranged soundtrack.

Whereas the original arcade mode had the same ending for every character, thus missing a great deal of character development.
Actually the arcade version required you to average a high rank to reach Kain and get a proper ending.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel like a Sucker for basically buying a $40 shirt, but I do like the design of that Metal Slug Shirt. I wonder if I can find my old Dog Tag from Metal Slug 7.

Hope at some point more of these games move over to steam. All these Non-Steam Neogeo games are just Roms with a finicky emulator (I swear there is even more slowdown then with normal Emulators). At least the Steam ones gave me a bit of convenience and built in Online Multiplayer.

Yeah, I basically just wanted the shirt.

Tizoc

Uh dude
To get the real ending you need to get A and/or S or higher rank average in all fights up til Grant.
If you don't you get a regular ending, if you do, you go on to fight Kain and can see each character's ending.
What you described is each character's ending mate :p

petran79

Banned
Uh dude
To get the real ending you need to get A and/or S or higher rank average in all fights up til Grant.
If you don't you get a regular ending, if you do, you go on to fight Kain and can see each character's ending.
What you described is each character's ending mate :p

It is the same ending for every character even after you fight and beat Kain, despite the rankings. SNK didnt have time to add proper endings to the arcade version. Later DC and PS2 port added proper endings!

Tried to use MAME, but wasn't really making progress (inserted ROM and BIOS files in the folder, but kept telling me it was missing stuff). Tried out FightCade for the first time (didn't know it required registering), and so far it works for Twinlestar Sprites and Metal Slug. Although I did run into slowdowns in both games (mostly Twinklestar), but turning up the CPU speed helps (not so much with Twinklestar).

Tizoc

It is the same ending for every character even after you fight and beat Kain, despite the rankings. SNK didnt have time to add proper endings to the arcade version. Later DC and PS2 port added proper endings!

Waaaah?
Well what I played of the AES yesterday did result in each character's ending showing up.
Just set the game to AES via an emulator and you'll get the ending once you beat Kain.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please share the tracklist of the Neo Geo 25th Anniversary Soundtrack? My purchase pretty much depends on what songs are included on it because I already have most of the games on this bundle.

Top Bottom