• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube reveals top 10 most popular games and gaming-related videos of 2015

Phediuk

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/20...utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

It's that time of year again. Time for big companies like YouTube to announce year-end lists of what was most popular during the latest year. YouTube has now published lists of the top games and gaming videos for 2015.

YouTube's most popular games list for 2015, based on views and total watch time for games released in the past year, is topped by--you guessed it--Call of Duty: Black ops III. Rounding out the top five are FIFA 16, Five Nights at Freddy's 3, Ark: Survival Evolved, and Agar.io. See the full list below.

2015 Top Overall Games

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
2. FIFA 16
3. Five Nights at Freddy's 3
4. Ark: Survival Evolved
5. Agar.io
6. Five Nights at Freddy's 4
7. Fallout 4
8. Mortal Kombat X
9. Batman: Arkham Knight
10. Until Dawn

YouTube also shared a list of the "top trending" gaming videos for 2015. Based on views, shares, comments, and likes (among other things), the list includes trailers, fan-made videos, and let's plays. Clash of Clans' Super Bowl ad from February tops the chart, while that amazing "Real GTA" video landed at the No. 2 spot. You can see the complete top ten list below.

2015 Top Trending Gaming Videos on YouTube

1. Clash of Clans: Revenge (Official Super Bowl TV Commercial)
2. Real GTA
3 Star Wars Battlefront Reveal Trailer
4. Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Teaser Trailer
5. WARNING: YOU WILL DIE | Five Nights at Freddy's 3 - Part 1
6. Discover Pokémon in the Real World with Pokémon GO!
7. Fallout 4 - Official Trailer
8. Elders Play Grand Theft Auto V (Elders React: Gaming)
9. Halo VS Call of Duty
10. Final Fantasy VII - E3 2015 Trailer | PS4

Finally, YouTube shared some new facts about YouTube's gaming community. First, 30 percent of YouTube gamers (those who watch gaming videos on YouTube at least once a month) are women, while 35 percent are aged 35 and up. YouTube's study, which included a survey of close to 5,000 people aged 18-54, confirmed that 47 percent of YouTube's gaming community are now parents.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Until Dawn and Fallout 4 are great but the rest of that top 10 games list is pretty dire.

Meier

I knew Five Nights at Freddy's was super successful on iOS but that is crazy to me to see it up there twice in the Top 10.

What is it with people's fascination with Five nights? Is it a genuinely good series or is it one of those so bad its good games?

antitrop

What is it with people's fascination with Five nights? Is it a genuinely good series or is it one of those so bad its good games?
It's for kids. Kids that either play it themselves on the iPad their parents bought them or just watch Markiplier scream through it on YouTube.

Adam Blue

Remember a lot of this stuff is being watched by people who don't really care for games or may not even play games. It's a pretty wide audience. It's not like some elite chosen 'gaming' audience was the only sample.

What is it with kids and Five Nights at Freddy's?

I've watched Let's Plays of it and I just don't fucking get it. I feel like an old man or something.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It's crazy how big Agar.io got. I was in that thread here when there was like 25 subscribers on their subreddit.

Gorger

Of those games I've only played Arkham, Fallout 4 and Until Dawn. Though surprising I am glad Until Dawn gets some love, it was a very cool concept I want to see more of.

Dreavus

Agar.io?

One of the most low effort games to play and all you need is a browser. Why are people watching it on Youtube?

What is it with kids and Five Nights at Freddy's?

I've watched Let's Plays of it and I just don't fucking get it. I feel like an old man or something.

It can produce jump scares faster than any other game, so assholes can go on YouTube and overreact to them, caption the "lol so random" things they scream, and slap on a thumbnail with them comically horrified at a mobile game. Kids eat it up.

And yes I know the streamers play it on PC.

RIP Cars 2 HD Gameplay Compilation
Funnily enough, Eurogamer (Wesley Yin Poole) did an article about that video. It's brilliant!

The unlikely story behind YouTube's most-viewed gaming video
1771478.jpg
Does your child like Pixar's Cars 2 movie? He or she is not alone. Cars is one of the biggest child-focused entertainment franchises in the world. A Cars-based attraction opened at Walt Disney Studios Paris in 2007 and a Cars Land opened in Disney California Adventure in June 2012. Estimates from the New York Daily News indicate sales of Cars merchandise two weeks out from the release of the film amounted to $600m. Cars was already a $1bn franchise in 2006. Together, the two films have received over $1bn in box office revenue worldwide.

So, there are a lot of kids - or at least there were circa 2012 / 2013 - on the hunt for Cars-related videos on YouTube. And so there were a lot of parents. Bung Cars 2 into YouTube, check out the first 20 seconds or so of the video, and you'd get the impression it was the movie, such is the quality of the video game cutscene and the voice acting. We hear what sounds like Michael Caine as Finn McMissile and Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen (in the game they're voiced by sound-a-like actors). This must be the film, you'd be forgiven for thinking, so over the tablet goes into the child's anxious arms. That's entertainment.

By putting the game's opening cutscene at the beginning of the video, Dominic has fooled millions of parents into thinking his video is the actual Cars 2 movie. Most parents won't stick around long enough to see the Mario Kart clone revealed. They're just happy with the peace and quiet.
So, you'd imagine adverts on Cars 2 HD Gameplay Compilation, with its 120m views in four years, would have made Dominic a hell of a lot of money. Tragically, not so.

Dominic did monetise the video so that it carries a 30-second skippable "pre-roll" advert and AdSense pop ups (the ones that appear at the bottom of a video on YouTube you can make disappear by clicking the tiny "x") - but only two years after it was uploaded back in August 2011, meaning he failed to cash in when the video was at its most popular.

He tells me his initial effort to monetise the video was blocked because of an audio-related copyright claim. At the time Cars 2 HD Gameplay Compilation wasn't pulling in the punters in huge numbers, so Dominic shrugged his shoulders and moved on. "I didn't keep a track of much back then, as I was a newbie YouTube holder who didn't know what exactly you could do with the service," he says.

"Then one day I came back and it had gone," he recalls. "We were like, okay, let's try it. Click it on." That was at the end of September 2013 - Dominic was late to his own party. He messed up, and he holds his hands up - the idea of making serious money out of the DarkZero YouTube channel didn't occur to him until it was too late. "If you look at the graph, it's like, ah! It's a shame I didn't catch that."

2015 Top Overall Games

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
2. FIFA 16
3. Five Nights at Freddy's 3
4. Ark: Survival Evolved
5. Agar.io
6. Five Nights at Freddy's 4
7. Fallout 4
8. Mortal Kombat X
9. Batman: Arkham Knight
10. Until Dawn

Not The Witcher 3, nor Bloodborne.

GAF on suicide watch.

Not finding anything surprising but it's all ways interesting to see what's popular in the industry.

OMG DaE <3 Markiplier and FNAFs loollll!! He gets so scared!!!

At least Until Dawn is on there.

It can produce jump scares faster than any other game, so assholes can go on YouTube and overreact to them, caption the "lol so random" things they scream, and slap on a thumbnail with them comically horrified at a mobile game. Kids eat it up.

And yes I know the streamers play it on PC.
You seem upset.

Not finding anything surprising but it's all ways interesting to see what's popular in the industry.

You seem upset.

How did I know you would come crawling out the woodwork?

Well it kind of sucks that well made and intelligent content is getting neglected for this lowbrow attempt at humor that gives gamers on YouTube and gamers in general a bad image, but ultimately it's a response to the post. It's not anger, at this point it's disappointment.

Eggbok

Not surprised to be honest seeing BLOPS 3 there.

Same COD is huge on youtube, for example:
- Let's Plays
- Class Set Us
- How to make Emblems/Camos
- Commentaries
- Glitches
- Montages
- Kill clips
- Trickshots
- Zombies gameplay
- Zombies Easter Egg Guides
- Trophy/Achievement videos
- Campaign Collectibles

etc.

How did I know you would come out the woodworks?

Well it kind of sucks that well made and intelligent content is getting neglected for this lowbrow attempt at humor that gives gamers on YouTube and gamers in general a bad image, but ultimately it's a response to the post.
I guess I have a reputation. I like that.
To your main point, that's very odd thing to worry about and actually believe.

Sealed

Banned
Agar.io? Really? People like to watch other people play that?

That's beyond me. Also SMH at Clash of Clans being #1 most watched gaming video.

zsynqx

Really surprised Until Dawn is above Life is Strange. Loved both but LiS seemed more popular among the big lets players..

Elios83

Really surprised that Witcher 3 is not on the list.
Just like I'm surprised that Until Dawn is.
A guess a sequel is a given at this point.

Top Bottom