• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mathematically Derived 500 Best Video Games of All Time (IGN User List)

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

giphy.gif

Funny, I can list 500 games I rather play instead of The Last of Us...
Well, no shit. It’s likely that everyone here would rather play something else. Why? Because we have already played it and it’s basically a “one and done”. It’s a masterpiece of production, writing, acting, and technology, but it’s ain’t no Super Mario Bros.

Ar¢tos

Well, no shit. It’s likely that everyone here would rather play something else. Why? Because we have already played it and it’s basically a “one and done”. It’s a masterpiece of production, writing, acting, and technology, but it’s ain’t no Super Mario Bros.
For plenty of people it doesn't seem to be one and done, after all they released it 3 times.

ShadowLag

Get rid of the weapon system. It's terrible. Let me find stuff to upgrade weapons or something, but I can't stand having to choose to either use my weapon and watch it break, or sit on it indefinitely.

This is the game trying to tell you that it's not all about weapons, and you shouldn't be trying to play it as such. You have to use the environment, physics, the elements, and even your enemies against themselves, just as often. Creativity and awareness are far more important than weapons in BOTW/TOTK - and you don't even *have* to fight the vast majority of the time.

They aren't in the category of normal Zelda games where all your items are permanent/sacred story keys.

ShadowLag

Some of these are not exactly my cup of tea but objectively ground-breaking masterpieces and then there is The Last of Us, lol.
Yeah, at first I was like "why the hell is GTA5 at #10" because I think it's junk, but that game was actually a massive technical achievement on the PS3/360 so I can see why a lot of outlets rated it way higher than they should've.

Last edited:

JordiENP

With breath of the wild and totk making over 2.5 billion dollars I expect a third entry on the next hardware... Probably in development since last year.

This is the game trying to tell you that it's not all about weapons, and you shouldn't be trying to play it as such. You have to use the environment, physics, the elements, and even your enemies against themselves, just as often. Creativity and awareness are far more important than weapons in BOTW/TOTK - and you don't even *have* to fight the vast majority of the time.

They aren't in the category of normal Zelda games where all your items are permanent/sacred story keys.
And the only thing sacrifices is fun, enjoyable gameplay.

salva

So many games missing off the list. But the most crime is Battlefield 2 missing... How the fuck did Battlefield 2: Modern Combat make it but not the original.

Fredrik

I don’t get it. Is this actually based on real top lists? I mean Angry Birds is in the middle of that list, above games like Hollow Knight and Half Life Alyx etc.

Lupin25

I know they might deserve them, but adding a ton of sequels per franchise (ie. Mario Kart) makes a list look this seem so boring.

Not a bad list, but BOTW should be replaced with Elden Ring as #1. Especially if TOTK is unqualified for some reason.

I know they might deserve them, but adding a ton of sequels per franchise (ie. Mario Kart) makes a list look this seem so boring.

Not a bad list, but BOTW should be replaced with Elden Ring as #1. Especially if TOTK is unqualified for some reason.

It says the formula is based specifically on "Best of All Time" lists pulled from all over -- so it's way too early for TotK to be on any of those lists, same with Elden Ring. A few years down the road, once a number of places have done updated "Best of All Time" lists, they would definitely be charting.

Anyways I CTRL+F for Stardew Valley and it didn't even make the top 500 so this methodology and critics all suck.

Mato

I've been playing Tetris DX daily all summer and yeah it's Tetris and it's addictive. I bet there's an alien person out there, in a galaxy far, far away who is probably playing Tetris right now.

LakeOf9

Yeah, so no answers lol.
What’s the point? You’ll dismiss or downplay any answers I give. This isn’t the first time others have tried to pull me into this circular argument. You don’t like TLOU1, have at it. The world disagrees with you.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What’s the point? You’ll dismiss or downplay any answers I give. This isn’t the first time others have tried to pull me into this circular argument. You don’t like TLOU1, have at it. The world disagrees with you.
There's no point because it isn't groundbreaking so there's nothing to argue about.

Also, lol at everyone else loves it and "the world disagrees". Why do you think it gets singled out almost every time in these kind of rankings? Almost no one says anything about Mario 64, Half-Life 2, or RE4. TLOU rightfully gets called out the most by far because it has no business being mentioned alongside legitimate pioneers.

In this very thread, it gets excluded more than any other game and your defense is "lmao haters", or maybe we recognize that it brought nothing new to the medium unlike almost all the others?

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
If I was to make a list of the most boring top 10 lists of all time, this would absolutely be in that top 10.

'We found out that Breath Of The Wild really IS the best game ever, hooray!'

Please fuck off

UnNamed

Banned
500 best games, and no racing games in the first 100. Except Mario Kart because something with "Mario" and "Nintendo" is an hit by default. Meanwhile, Daytona at 476, GT at 146. No Grand Prix 2. No Scud Race. No Motorstorm Pacific Rift. No Split Second. No Micromachines V3, no CTR.

This Mathematically is not very good at math. And it hates the Amiga.

Laieon

I'd much rather play TLOU than Super Mario Bros.

LakeOf9

There's no point because it isn't groundbreaking so there's nothing to argue about.

Also, lol at everyone else loves it and "the world disagrees". Why do you think it gets singled out almost every time in these kind of rankings? Almost no one says anything about Mario 64, Half-Life 2, or RE4. TLOU rightfully gets called out the most by far because it has no business being mentioned alongside legitimate pioneers.

In this very thread, it gets excluded more than any other game and your defense is "lmao haters", or maybe we recognize that it brought nothing new to the medium unlike almost all the others?
Almost every game on a list like this gets people shitting on it, especially when it is recent. Yes, TLOU gets people hating on it. So does Breath of the Wild. So did Skyrim. So did Dark Souls. So did The Witcher 3. So did Resident Evil 4 back when it came out for almost ten years (and if you dont remember that then you have not been keeping up with this medium long)

Usually when these games get older, and their place in the "canon" of great games gets solidified, the hate dies off. Do you not remember six years of people desperately trying to convince the world Breath of the Wild was overrated? That only died out after its sequel came out two months ago.

I accept TLOU is not as revolutionary as any of the other games in the top ten. That is not a point I ever argued against. But you don't have to be revolutionary to be great. TLOU represents an incredibly amazingly made game that evolved the standard of storytelling in mainstream big budget games, and also features some great (if simple and iterative) game design. It's still one of the best games ever made through sheer quality. Something like RE4 or BOTW is far more flawed than TLOU is, by the way, but on the flip side those games are significantly more influential and innovative than TLOU is.

There, does that explanation pass your test?

Every Zelda since basically follows the path laid by LTTP.
Well not BOTW and TOTK lol

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Almost every game on a list like this gets people shitting on it, especially when it is recent. Yes, TLOU gets people hating on it. So does Breath of the Wild. So did Skyrim. So did Dark Souls. So did The Witcher 3. So did Resident Evil 4 back when it came out for almost ten years (and if you dont remember that then you have not been keeping up with this medium long)
Nice strawman. Don't pretend that TLOU doesn't get singled out by far the most. Look at this very thread. What game gets called out the most? It's TLOU, and it's not close.
Usually when these games get older, and their place in the "canon" of great games gets solidified, the hate dies off. Do you not remember six years of people desperately trying to convince the world Breath of the Wild was overrated? That only died out after its sequel came out two months ago.
Yet BOTW gets called out less than TLOU despite being much newer and it's widely agreed that TOTK dunks on its predecessor despite being less than 3 months old.
But you don't have to be revolutionary to be great.
Yeah, so it's not groundbreaking. Thank you.

Carry on.

TLOU has no business on that list. Hell, I'd argue GTA V and TW3 don't belong either but they're less egregious than that game and before you resort to an appeal to popularity that everyone likes it, this thread clearly proves it's not the case and you damn well know it often gets picked out which is why you're raising your sword to defend it.

Last edited:

consoul

METHODOLOGY: 80 historical "Best of All Time" lists published over the last 30 years were compiled & assessed; then curves, bonuses, exclusions and weightings were applied until the individual rankings agreed with what we thought.

LakeOf9

Nice strawman. Don't pretend that TLOU doesn't get singled out by far the most. Look at this very thread. What game gets called out the most? It's TLOU, and it's not close.
I think it's more nuanced than you think. Until a few months ago I would have said BOTW generates more salt than any other similar game. I think that died down after OTK weirdly enough, and by that same metric, I think TLOU2 being more divisive with people for so many reasons contributes to it continuing to generate more hate
Yet BOTW gets called out less than TLOU despite being much newer and it's widely agreed that TOTK dunks on its predecessor despite being less than 3 months old.
See above. I think their respective sequels have a lot to do with the long term reception of these games. I think TOTK being so immediately beloved made BOTW's hate die down. TLOU2 is generally praised across the board now but there was two years of toxicity surrounding it for a lot of reasons that I think poisoned the discussion around the series for a while
Yeah, so it's not groundbreaking. Thank you.

Carry on.

TLOU has no business on that list. Hell, I'd argue GTA V and TW3 don't belong either but they're less egregious than that game.
I dont like GTA5 at all, and would never put it even in a top 500 list, let alone top ten, but I will never argue it doesnt belong on a list like this when it very obviously had such an impact with so many people

What is wrong with The Witcher 3 lol, it raised the bar for storytelling in open world video games

Pejo

Is this the first example of AI replacing game """journalists""" and writing an article?

Last edited:
Top Bottom