• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube reveals top 10 most popular games and gaming-related videos of 2015

SarusGray

Very happy for Until Dawn. SuperMassive stated the game sales wise exceeded their expectations. Let's hope Sony allows them to develop more games and more IP

Ashtar

Happy to see until dawn sneak on there, I can see the appeal of all the console games on there though I wonder if arkham knight was primarily driven by people watching the true ending
I don't see why people are griping about poor taste, I know personally I have no interest in lets play or having story ruined for me and I think that people that do drives these stats have different taste than the average gaffer.

Fishlake

Neat to see agar.io. Circles for life.

It is really addicting. I played it a lot earlier this year.

Check it out if you can.

Skux

Agar.io? People make videos about that?

I mean it's a fun distraction but there's no depth to it. Unless there's some kind of hardcore community I don't know about.

Raitaro

Really disappointing that Super Mario Maker isn't on this list if you ask me.

Mario + create your own levels should equal the perfect game for Youtube streaming I would think. I really thought it had picked up a lot of steam in the gaming community at large as well.

Edit: Splatoon and Minecraft not being there is disappointing and - in the latter case - surprising too.

Deft Beck

I echo the comments that for many young YouTube viewers, gaming might be something they are interested in, but not to the extent that they would go and buy every single game that appeals to them. Some they will buy, others they will watch.

Undertale, for a lot of YouTube gaming video viewers, is a cartoon voice acted by their favorite Let's Player.

I don't know why anybody is surprised. The primary viewers of game-related videos on YouTube are children. Kids who think Let's Plays of FNAF and CoD kill montages are the coolest shit in the world.

ZanDatsu

Came in expecting Minecraft to be the obvious #1 and it's not even on the list. I guess I'm a stupid head know nothing about games person.

MrBadger

People seem kinda bitter about Five Nights At Freddy's charting and I think that's a shame. Those games are a nice success story and they do have a lot of good ideas behind them.

Alx

Surprised at the absence of Minecraft. I thought it was popular on youtube.

That was my reaction too. I thought all the kids out there spent ours watching Minecraft videos on youtube ? (as a matter of fact I even witnessed a nephew of mine doing it). Maybe the range of that phenomenon has been exaggerated ?
*edit - oh, games released in 2015, got it.

Navid

Surprised at the absence of Minecraft. I thought it was popular on youtube.
I was also surprised by the lack of certain titles before I noticed it is not a case of just limiting it to youtube videos for 2015 but also restricting the games to ones that were released in 2015..?

In that way it make more sense, guessing Star Wars came out too late to have any real impact on the list?

EDIT: Ohh yeah, Rocket League and Mario Maker are other ones I'd maybe expect to see up there.

Catvoca

Banned
Mario Maker?
Minecraft?
Rocket League?

weird list

It's only 2015 games, so Minecraft wouldn't be on the list. Rocket League is popular but never really grabbed the huge youtubers to do long video series on them. Mario Maker is similar to Rocket League, and it hasn't been out as long as most of the games on the list.

Dio

Banned
What the hell is "Five nights at Freddie's"? XD Some kind of phone game?

It's one of the more popular 'youtube bait' games, a new genre that was created specifically for Youtubers to play their games and increase visibility. See: I am Bread and Goat Simulator.

Village

It's one of the more popular 'youtube bait' games, a new genre that was created specifically for Youtubers to play their games and increase visibility. See: I am Bread and Goat Simulator.

Actuallly you are totally wrong. He didn't make it for that at all actually, you can google the origins on this. Scott just really likes making video games, like a lot. You can tell by all the effort he puts into those things. To suggest that those games are just "youtube bait " is dishonest. If you don't know anything about the thing. Why answer the question.

Wtf at agar, why is anyone way watching videos of that game

*puts in dentures* this new generation of "gamers" are shameful, watchers is what they are, get off my lawn.

Nah, actually I Am Bread is a really good physics-based platformer with a lot of variety and requires a good amount of skill to speedrun levels

It being "YouTube bait" is a secondary consequence. It certainly wasn't made for that reason. Games like that have been around for years, well before Let's Plays became a thing

Zyrox

Really shocked that Minecraft isn't on the list.

EDIT: Oh, it's because MInecraft isn't a 2015 game? Ah I guess that makes sense.

#6 could shift Nintendo to more mobile if Pokemon go is a huge success

The end is coming
But a new beginning might be happening

Battlefront trailer was hype

Cleve

oldgafyellingatclouds.gif

Keep in mind this list is heavily skewed by being only games that came out in 2015

Top Bottom