• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Update: last month highlights, new upcoming features, building video

http://store.steampowered.com/controller/update/dec15

didn't want to quote, because there are nice pics, so screencapped the whole page, but go to the page anyway

0Dvg8dB.jpg

Building the Steam Controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Nice that they're doing non- Steam game config sharing. A bit about the some of others for people who want to see stuff:

Gyro was in from the beginning, it's just that Valve didn't expect people to use it for aiming.

Valve dev (who I think works on their Linux/Vulkan stuff) first showing it with MGSV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43ibnztDLc
CS/general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKuO9M0WuMg
CS/general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha181akWcFU
Dead Space 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TEM8r9p_f4

Gaffer mntorankusu made the suggestion about Joystick Mouse.

Touch menu shown in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtgAwoWs3JI

In FTL: http://imgur.com/a/a1UyM

Mouse region: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5AaQJF2ewQ

Also with mouse region people found a way to achieve analog stick emulation in games like Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3, by making it small enough around the character and binding ~ to outer ring and then setting it for the stick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8WEUooZpM

Valve showing this in conjunction with controller HUD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thg_iWTfMAc

Nabs

The Steam Controller has come a long way since release. Touch Menu, Mouse Region, and Mouse-Like Joystick are massive additions to the thing. It has become my go to controller for the majority of games on my PC.

If only they could make the face buttons bigger through software...

... I'm sure I'll get used to them.

Use your controller a bit more. You'll get used to not using them much. The best config is one where you rarely move your thumbs.

metalhead79

Neo Member
When I first got my Steam controller on Oct 16th, I could see the potential but didn't really like it for games that already had controller support. It was great for stuff like Sword Coast Legends, but I definitely preferred my Xbox One controller for everything else.
So I really didn't use it much until about two weeks ago when I decided to give it a full week to try and learn it better.
It's now my preferred controller. It has come a LONG way.

Lagamorph

It's Mouse-like Joystick mode I'm going to look forward to. Because fucking hell is the trackpad awful in third person games I've tried.

WillyFive

Meanwhile Gamespot considered it a slog to play.

Then there's the Steam Controller itself. While the device does work with certain genres, such as turn-based strategy or third-person action, its touch pads falter when trying to emulate the thumbstick experience. This makes first-person shooters a slog to play, and when it comes to MOBAs, which usually require quick reaction times, the Steam Controller is no match.

Seems that they may not have used it much.

Use your controller a bit more. You'll get used to not using them much. The best config is one where you rarely move your thumbs.
Yeah, I've only had it since Wednesday, and used it over two sessions for an hour or so.

Had mixed success with games, and even though I've been a PC gamer forever, having to dig into the extensive config options is a bit daunting, and I'm pretty lazy nowadays.

I think time and patience are the biggest factors here, and I've put my 360 controller away to try and force myself to use the new thing.

To be honest, my first impression has been mostly negative. It's too sensitive, or not sensitive enough, the face buttons are too far in, the joystick seems to fatigue my fingers, the endless configuration is as much a curse as it is a blessing.

I realise the main issue here is probably me, and I need to dedicate time to learning a new thing.

If only it's available in my country. Shipping it all the way here would cost the controller itself.
Check if Amazon will ship it to your country. I'm in Australia and was able to get it shipped without issue.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Okay. Time to plug mine back in again. I've recently reverted back to the Xbox 360 wireless controller.

Nzyme32

Pretty cool, and a GAF shout out was added. Really happy with the way the updates are going and the community collaboration. Hope it keeps going and we keep going

Meanwhile Gamespot considered it a slog to play.

Almost every review site has skipped over anything that has been added to the Steam Controller or the additional options that were there to begin with, expecting something that was always set up perfectly even at launch, when community bindings were still in heavy flux or none existent for some games. While that will probably work out in the long run, right now there are lots of changes pretty frequently and community discoveries that become the norm. Updates like this that are informative about what progress is being made will likely help a lot of people who who didn't get the best info from either Valve or reviews. Seems like a lot of people didn't know there were gyros or how useful they have become.

Crayon

It's been outstanding and it's great to see the updates coming thick and fast. I just picked up a second one on my way home today.

Surely they will add some way to vote on configs? At the moment, it's kind of silly. "Most users" does not automatically mean best configuration.

Everything else is really cool.

TheRed

Steam controller is the best gaming thing I've bought all year. I love it for so many different games. Literally the only game I've used a keyboard and mouse for since I got it is for Dota 2. Haven't even touched my 360 or DS4 since.

I've had my Steam Controller for two days and while I'm still getting used to it, it will become my preferred method to play games.

Deadstar

I like how they are improving the controller but they really need to add rapid mode for EVERY button on the controller. I don't understand why only the abxy buttons have this. It allows for smooth zooming in and out for RTS games. Maybe I'm missing something and there is a better way to do this? I want to use the triggers or bumpers to zoom in and out simulating the mouse scroll wheel.

Fucking yes. Well done, Vaylvv.

I honestly don't think this controller is getting quite the recognition it deserves, but I seem to experience a lot of pushback when I say that.

It's definitely not quite up there with kbm in terms of accuracy, but the feature set, customization, flexibility, capability and form factor are soooooo much more preferable to me than KBM; at *least* preferable to standard controllers. I realize that kbm is customizable as hell, but the whole "one hand each dedicated to a specific function set" is super antiquated to me. I've never been able to get comfortable with the blind reach of customized key away from my movement keys with my left hand.

I was skeptical-but-excited when I pre-ordered mine, but I've seriously fallen in love with it. Any time I've gone back to my kbm, 360 controller or Dualshock 4, it's felt so damn weird and I need a few minutes to re-adjust; I can't say the same about going back to the Steam Controller.

That being said... the initial use and feel of it was overwhelming and I just sat there doing this for 30 minutes o_O

Anyway, I certainly think it does a damn fantastic job of being the stopgap between old hat controller and kbm that Valve was advertising it as. I applaud them with my monies and my black heart.

Back to work. Byebye.

Steam controller is the best gaming thing I've bought all year. I love it for so many different games. Literally the only game I've used a keyboard and mouse for since I got it is for Dota 2. Haven't even touched my 360 or DS4 since.

Yes! I tried to play Fallout 4 w/ kbm after a solid month with the controller and I like... didn't know what to do. Haha.

Yudoken

The Steam controller is one of the most interesting hardware I've ever used after VR.
Every update makes the pad better and better and the next revision hopefully will fix the few issues.
Gamepad with mouse and gyro aim is the best!
Just a little sad that some games like MGS V don't allow Mouse and pad inputs at the same time.
Having to decide between pad or keyboard and mouse (which both have pros and cons) is annoying.

Burt

Gyro aim alone looks awesome. Finally got around to Wolfenstein: TNO (from the Steam Sale) the other day and tried it with a controller on the first run. Having not used one for FPSes in years, it was essentially unplayable for me at this point. Never thought I would be one of those people, but it's true.

Thinking about picking one up soon, but I'm wary about whether or not there might be hardware revisions in the near future.

It was terrible for MGS V when I first tried it, but it's actually pretty usable now and even better than the 360 controller in some meaningful ways. Granted at least part of that is due to Konami doing an official config for it, but it's still a good sign for the controller. Hopefully it continues to improve.

Nev

Banned
This keeps getting better each day. Will wait for the first revision though, I have a feeling it will make the whole thing perfect and not just awesome.

Portable configs makes me really excited. I hope this means Valve is looking to give split-screen more attention down the road. I'd love to see official support for it added in their multiplayer games that don't already have it (so basically, all of their multiplayer stuff aside from Portal 2), and maybe even encouragement for third parties to add it into their games (one I'd love to see get native Steam Controller and split-screen support, despite the unlikeliness, is Borderlands 2). Right now, I don't see much reason to buy a second one, but I'd love there to be a reason down the road.

Also, I'm happy to see gyro aim get attention (I thought it would be forgotten after Splatoon), but I do think even Valve is underestimating their trackpad for aiming. I say this way too much, but it's true, their default settings for it are trash. This all really does show how little they played around with the device themselves after designing it. Early adopters were left to figure it out. It is a totally capable device, but a company not being aware of their product's strengths isn't very assuring for those who are looking to buy one I think.

gnexus

Nice to see a lot of support and firmware updates being pushed out for this controller. I pre-ordered when the controllers first went up, and admittedly, I haven't been the biggest fan of it at first. However, I have been playing more games with it recently and getting over the learning curve. Steam Big Picture mode and its web browser are really nice for laying in bed and just looking at stuff online and some quick gaming sessions. I'm also really interested in getting a Steam Link sometime soon.

Can't wait to see what other improvements come along.

TheRed

Yes! I tried to play Fallout 4 w/ kbm after a solid month with the controller and I like... didn't know what to do. Haha.
Yess me too, I played about 120 hours of Fallout 4 with it and it was amazing, had no complaints about controls while I saw many from kb/M and controller players, even had a nice quicksave button on the grip. I adore this game for FPS now, it took practice but now I'm a lot more comfortable with it. I guess I can plug a video I made of me playing BO3 with it. https://youtu.be/Xi7BOjzT1ks
And I haven't even messed with the cool mouse region and touch menu stuff yet because I haven't been playing those type of games yet , so I still have a lot to learn about it.

I've been using it to play DOTA2 on the couch. I love this thing but man the amount of effort that you have to put in to get it working how you want..

Any advice for DOTA2 Steam Controller players?

TheRed

I've been using it to play DOTA2 on the couch. I love this thing but man the amount of effort that you have to put in to get it working how you want..

Any advice for DOTA2 Steam Controller players?
I'd never try playing Dota 2 with steam controller, but good luck to you! The game is already frustrating enough, I don't want to make it even harder for me to win.
But I have seen people recommend controls in the steam controller thread for starcraft, maybe it is possible to get good at dota with it, but I'm not gonna be the one to bang my head against it to figure something out.

Non Steam game support better be out before Blood and Wine. Launching gog's TW3 through steam makes loading times a lot longer and I can't use Reshade.

edit: darn it, it would require steam anyway.

Bizzquik

Thanks for posting this. I purchased the controller partly with the belief that its features and developer engagement will only improve as time goes by, and this overview points to this being the case.

I like the Controller HUD - which shows what commands the game is registering as you maneuver the controller. That should improve how people learn to use it for specific games.

Are there ways to take the Controller HUD idea further? I'd love to see other ways for the Steam Controller to feel more naturally ingrained into a game, such as on-screen button prompts.
(Perhaps this could be possible if a game was released with remappable key commands? "RGrip" instead of "M" , "TouchMenu3" instead of "Z")

belmonkey

Aside from much more opportunities for modifiers, I just want a non security-compromising way of handling permission popups or the task manager. I so want to use the controller more from a distance for just browsing and getting around like I normally do on a keyboard, but I just find those issues to be a deterrent.

I'm quite impressed with all the software support the thing is getting though.

Official non-Steam game support is awesome. I wonder how that's gonna work exactly though. Is it gonna parse "Dead Space 3" and "DeadSpace3" and "deadspace3.exe" as the same game? Quick somebody build a GoodSteam database

Are there ways to take the Controller HUD idea further? I'd love to see other ways for the Steam Controller to feel more naturally ingrained into a game, such as on-screen button prompts.
(Perhaps this could be possible if a game was released with remappable key commands? "RGrip" instead of "M" , "TouchMenu3" instead of "Z")

IIRC Valve have talked about addressing this very thing fairly recently, but they've yet to elaborate on how or when such a feature might come about.

TheRed

Non Steam game support better be out before Blood and Wine. Launching gog's TW3 through steam makes loading times a lot longer and I can't use Reshade.

edit: darn it, it would require steam anyway.
? Hmm maybe it did make load times a little longer but I never noticed and my Reshade worked just fine when launching through steam.

I have been wanting to get one myself for games like republican commando since it doesn't have proper controller support has anyone tried this game?

Top Bottom