• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR external processing box to be size of Wii

The final retail version of the PlayStation VR headset — codenamed Project Morpheus — will plug into a sizable black box before plugging into the PlayStation 4.

While PlayStation officials have discussed the need for the VR headset's processing box, it wasn't clear what form it would finally take.

I got a chance to check out the retail version of the headset during a demo of the VirZoom bike earlier this month. I wasn't allowed to take any pictures or ask the VirZoom developers any questions about it, other then to confirm it was the final retail version, not a dev kit. But I was allowed to examine it closely and try it on.

The black box looked a bit smaller than a Wii and is used to process the VR graphics and sort out the second-screen social experience on the television.

The headset itself felt refined in a way that only a company like Sony can deliver. Everything felt comfortable, futuristic, neatly designed, from the way the headset slipped onto your head and tightened with a dial built into the back of the headband, to the ability to pull the 5.7-inch OLED display away from or against your face while playing.

It is, to date, the most comfortable VR headset I've tried on, a list which includes both Oculus and Vive.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10287734/retail-playstation-vr-box

Play me in 2D if old.

komplanen

I have no problem with this.

a) because I don't mind an extra box
b) it's going to be built-in 2 years from now in some PS4 Lite version

SeanR1221

Why does it suck you'd need a Wii sized box in your entertainment center in addition to whatever else you have in there?

I mean I guess if I have to explain.

I don't want another box in there. I have 4 spots. One for the surround receiver, one for the cable box, one for ps4 and one for Wii U. I'm out of space, unless I cram it in with the ps4 and it already gets warm in that enclosed space.

b) it's going to be built-in 2 years from now in some PS4 Lite version
This contradicts Sony's goals in two areas. Make the slim cheaper and smaller. Do you really think Sony will want this extra unit eating into their margins for a peripheral that would be lucky to hit 50% of their audience

samn

This contradicts Sony's goals in two areas. Make the slim cheaper and smaller. Do you really think Sony will want this extra unit eating into their margins for a peripheral that would be lucky to hit 50% of their audience

Especially when you consider that the VR headset will be packaged with these now useless boxes. Unless they take out the box, in which case old PS4 owners will be buying the new VR headsets without all the kit they need. Recipe for confusion

ElNino

You won't be looking at it:p
It's not like everyone will be walking around the house with VR headsets on. :p

I don't necessarily mind the external box, but I'll need to see how it is configured to determine if it will be feasible in my current setup.

Onaco

Bullshit. I saw one in person at PSX and took pictures. It's closer to the size of a Wii mini, perhaps.

nded

The Wii is like the size of three DVD cases, and the actual processing unit seems to actually be smaller than that.

Why does it suck you'd need a Wii sized box in your entertainment center in addition to whatever else you have in there?

I don't want another box in there. I have 4 spots. One for the surround receiver, one for the cable box, one for ps4 and one for Wii U. I'm out of space, unless I cram it in with the ps4 and it already gets warm in that enclosed space.

Sucks for you, I guess?

Bullshit. I saw one in person at PSX and took pictures. It's closer to the size of a Wii mini, perhaps.

Processing Unit sitting on top of PS4 it much smaller than the Wii
CWXQxPZUYAEDKgg.png

No it's not. Maybe close to that really tiny Wii from Canada, or whatever.

The breakout box is not a massive GPU or anything. Surprises me how many people claiming to be interested in VR have paid little to no attention to the people working on it and their videos.

Inside the breakout box is 2 major components - one that processes binaural audio for accurate 3D sound whilst you're moving your head, and the second which helps do things like a smart TV (in this case interpolation based on 3D movement / tracking data for 60fps VR games so they feed to the headset at 120fps). That and allowing you to have a view in your headset while the TV gets either a similar feed or something else altogether.

SeanR1221

I don't get how it's Sony's fault that your entertainment center apparently only has 4 places to put things. Where were you planning to keep the headset anyway?

I mean, the breakout box is pretty important, and it's not like they can design it around theoretical entertainment center space. It's pretty small as it is.

All I said is it sucks to have a box that size. Which it does.

It's kind of sad I need to write this out.

Thinking a factor of something sucks doesn't mean you hate the product. You are actually allowed to dislike certain aspects of a product and not be all in on every idea. So when one person thinks the idea of a Wii sized box sucks, he's entitled to that very valid opinion without comments of sucks to be you! Or defending Sony asking well what else can sony do

And I was going to keep the headset in one of my entertainment center drawers.

5taquitos

Thinking a factor of something sucks doesn't mean you hate the product. You are actually allowed to dislike certain aspects of a product and not be all in on every idea. So when one person thinks the idea of a Wii sized box sucks, he's entitled to that very valid opinion without comments of sucks to be you! Or defending Sony asking well what else can sony do

And I was going to keep the headset in one of my entertainment center drawers.

Saying "We have a VR system for those people. It's called nothing." is a bit more than saying that you dislike a certain aspect of this product.

SeanR1221

Saying "We have a VR system for those people. It's called nothing." is a bit more than saying that you dislike a certain aspect of this product.

It was poking fun at the sucks to be you comment when that Xbox dude basically said the same thing to people without consistent internet connections

nded

I understood from the start that it's a sucky situation for you. I don't really have anything else to say about this subject unless you post pictures of your entertainment system so we can see for ourselves just how much this sucks for you.

panda-zebra

Inside the breakout box is 2 major components - one that processes binaural audio for accurate 3D sound whilst you're moving your head, and the second which helps do things like a smart TV (in this case interpolation based on 3D movement / tracking data for 60fps VR games so they feed to the headset at 120fps). That and allowing you to have a view in your headset while the TV gets either a similar feed or something else altogether.

It's not interpolation and not at all like that which a smart TV does.

I thought the reprojection was done as a GPGPU task?

The box does process audio and does offer a TV-suitable picture for those outside the headset.

So they should design a more flawed system because you cannot make room in whatever entertainment system you have.

If it is that big of a deal, like you said, you don't have to buy it. But making an even flawed product just to appease an insignificant percentage of people is not good for business.

"We have a VR system for those people. It's called nothing."

Yeah. You're right. Sony designing an additional external processing unit for PSVR has nothing to do with making the VR experience better and was obviously done to alienate existing and potential customers who don't have enough shelf space for a box that is smaller than a hardcover book.

This move by Sony to make PSVR work at a level high enough to run VR games is obviously comparable to Don Mattrick's famous quote that was an insult to the intelligence of gamers everywhere. Yeah, I can see how those are comparable.

3utjhu.jpg

large.png

This was expected.

My biggest concern is cable management. Based on my current understanding the back of this box is going to be pretty busy. I count:

Back panel:
2 HDMI (1 in from PS4, 1 out to TV)
2 USB3/AUX (1 to PS4, 1 to camera)
1 power
Front panel:
1 HDMI (to headset)
1 USB3 (to headset)

There's space on my equipment stand, but I'd prefer to avoid a rat's nest of cables if I can.

Top Bottom