• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR external processing box to be size of Wii

I don't suppose they could build the box into the headset 2.0 instead of the PS4 slim? Then they don't have to worry about different PS4's needing the box. But power would be an issue, it's probably not realistic with the tech we have now.

You'd need another HDMI cable from the headset back to the TV for the social screen. Whatever processing power you need is going to be weight and heat on your head.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sony hasn't disclosed what the packaging or contents will be as of now so I wouldn't assume it doesn't come with HDMI and all that.

Man

The Samsung Gear VR is already $100 to start with, and that's like an empty shell of a headset with no sensors or video display.
Motion sensors more precise than what's in the mobile.
Proximity sensor inside headset.
Touch-surface.
Electrical fan.

The headset itself felt refined in a way that only a company like Sony can deliver. Everything felt comfortable, futuristic, neatly designed, from the way the headset slipped onto your head and tightened with a dial built into the back of the headband, to the ability to pull the 5.7-inch OLED display away from or against your face while playing.

sooo like Google, Apple, Microsoft, and pretty much every other tech company with a decent design team?

klaushm

We are comming to the 3rd year for PS4, isn't it time to get the slim version too?

PS3 was released November 2006/March 2007(EU) and PS3 Slim was announced August 2009 and released September 2009.

So, wouldn't be ideal to announce it together as a bundle?
PS4 Slim + PSVR (with mini box).

Not half bad.

Afrikan

Sony hasn't disclosed what the packaging or contents will be as of now so I wouldn't assume it doesn't come with HDMI and all that.

Their 9.1 Lossless Headsets come with a breakout box like this device and a HDMI cable.

I believe whenever Sony puts in a box, they assume you already have what's needed to make it work. (since the PS3 no HDMI times)

Dual Shock controller...they assume you have a PS4 and the usb cord that came with it.

with the PSVR, they know you have one HDMI that came with your PS4...but can't presume that you have an extra one.... so I expect it to be included.

rBrCais.jpg

Actually, upon second look, the length of the cable leading form the headset to the "box" isn't all that long. I expect the box will be pulled out close to the user when in use, and the cable leading from the back of the box will provide the extension needed to reach the console.... Unless they want everyone to be balls deep close to the console when they play VR.

Length, extension or reach isn't everything. I'm sure the length of the cable is fine, this is a display unit after all. The girth of the cable is equally if not more important, as is insulation for the prevention of cross talk. No one wants unexpected cross talk, it will just hurt the unit in the end.

Afrikan

So I'm wondering... with using a Wireless HDMI connection...and Power pack for both the headset and the Box.

you should be able to carry that stuff in a backpack, and be cord free to roam around your room...as long as you are in the view of the PS Camera.

Bsigg12

So I'm wondering... with using a Wireless HDMI connection...and Power pack for both the headset and the Box.

you should be able to carry that stuff in a backpack, and be cord free to roam around your room...as long as you are in the view of the PS Camera.

The box has to be connected to the PS4 via USB as well as HDMI.

Violater

$200 is my limit, so I guess I'll have a decent wait which is fine, that just gives them time to build a worthwhile library.

I don't think this will be a big deal for most. Tech has limitations and sometimes it takes a little more space than we would like.

Personally I'm more excited for PC VR headsets because I already have a nice computer and I don't own a PS4, but I want this project to succeed because realistically it's consoles that dictate trends in the gaming market.

rambis

Banned
sooo like Google, Apple, Microsoft, and pretty much every other tech company with a decent design team?
I know of Google's cardboard but I don't think any of those companies have any experience producing these types of HMDs. Having hardware experience doesn't automatically put you on Sony's level in making quality hardware. Especially for majority software companies.

Peltz

I'm in for $399 or less, as long as there is at least one great launch game.

If it launches with Eve:Valkyrie and it looks as good as the game does with DK2 then I'm 100% sold on it.

I know of Google's cardboard but I don't think any of those companies have any experience producing these types of HMDs. Having hardware experience doesn't automatically put you on Sony's level in making quality hardware. Especially for majority software companies.

all of those companies have made high end tech devices before, some of them devices that have completely redefined design for the area they exist in. they have all also tackled new types of devices and come out successful many times over. sony has a decent design team, sure, but it's not like they're anything so special that they're well above other companies.

Vena

No one prices on the round like that, its unappealing. $399.99 looks cheaper than $400 at a quick glance, and if you're at $400 might as well add a little more.

I am in the >$400 camp, though, everything else is already well into that territory and this breakout box can't be cheap on top of the optoelectronic and other material components in the base headset when compared to the Oculus (which we know is being sold at cost).

What is in the box and how does it physically link to PS4 - usb ?

Video and (I think) audio processing hardware. Mainly a fancy HDMI splitter to let you send one image to the headset and one (possibly different) to the TV.

Connection is via HDMI and USB.

Josman

It's also nice that the headset connects via HDMI to the box instead of the console, so you don't accidentally pull the cord and drop your console, just the box.

Koobion

I don't see what your problem is with the author taking note of Sony's reputation of making aesthetically pleasing hardware that stands out. I would say Apple is comparable, but Microsoft has consistently made some of the ugliest consoles, and Google's phones have been pretty bland. When you look at the PSVR headset, it looks slick and stands out. In comparison, the Occulus has always looked bulky and generic.

SaganIsGOAT

Why does it suck you'd need a Wii sized box in your entertainment center in addition to whatever else you have in there?

I mean I guess if I have to explain.

I don't want another box in there. I have 4 spots. One for the surround receiver, one for the cable box, one for ps4 and one for Wii U. I'm out of space, unless I cram it in with the ps4 and it already gets warm in that enclosed space.

Damn sounds like a serious problem

I don't see what your problem is with the author taking note of Sony's reputation of making aesthetically pleasing hardware that stands out. I would say Apple is comparable, but Microsoft has consistently made some of the ugliest consoles, and Google's phones have been pretty bland. When you look at the PSVR headset, it looks slick and stands out. In comparison, the Occulus has always looked bulky and generic.

the problem i had is that they stated "only a company like Sony could make" when Sony design isn't anything that distinctive to warrant a remark like that. I mean, Apple is Apple, yes, and Microsoft has put some great designs out recently, as has Google:

comparitively, sony has never done anything astonishing to the point where you can look at it and say "that's a sony device and it looks awesome." they just don't have that pedigree.

Top Bottom