• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR external processing box to be size of Wii

samn

I don't suppose they could build the box into the headset 2.0 instead of the PS4 slim? Then they don't have to worry about different PS4's needing the box. But power would be an issue, it's probably not realistic with the tech we have now.

That would add weight on the head. And I'm wondering if this box plugs into the TV directly via its own HDMI port so it can do its second screen social thing as that's apparently one of its roles. In which case you'd have an HDMI going straight from your headset and round to the back of the TV, which is awkward.

Afrikan

It's wired for a reason. If wireless was feasible they would of done it.

I know that... I'm just saying it would possible...I know 95% of games wouldn't support walking around.....but I like fucking around with shit to see what happens.

I was willing to have a PS Move Controller taped to the top of my head/cap just so I could get head tracking on the PS3.

Afrikan

the problem i had is that they stated "only a company like Sony could make" when Sony design isn't anything that distinctive to warrant a remark like that. I mean, Apple is Apple, yes, and Microsoft has put some great designs out recently, as has Google:

comparitively, sony has never done anything astonishing to the point where you can look at it and say "that's a sony device and it looks awesome." they just don't have that pedigree.

what in the world? haha.

what in the world? haha.

care to provide some examples? apple has its iPads and iPhones--you can not only look at those and know what they are, but if it was post iPhone 6 launch or post iPad launch, if you saw one of those in public you'd think "woah that's pretty thin/that's pretty cool." with Surface Book you'd see it and think "woah that's pretty cool. that hinge is crazy." with Google Glass...etc. that's never been true for a Sony product, at least it hasn't been for quite some time. that isn't saying Sony design isn't bad, but it isn't to the level where you can say "the design is something only Sony could do."

I know that... I'm just saying it would possible...I know 95% of games wouldn't support walking around.....but I like fucking around with shit to see what happens.

I was willing to have a PS Move Controller taped to the top of my head/cap just so I could get head tracking on the PS3.

Whether its possible is irrelevant, latency is VR's achilles heel, anything adding latency means potential for motion sickness, which means a lot of sick customers which does not a viable consumer product make.

Granted I've done my fair share of driver injected VR for games not built for it and just said fuck it to low frames cause I wanted to experience what AAA games would look like on it, but I recognize no company like Sony in their right mind would release such a thing to the public at large. This first impression is very important, the big three need to nail it the first time.

Afrikan

care to provide some examples?

I'm sure if I or anyone else provided any *examples*, you wouldn't consider them "astonishing or awesome."

so what is the point? I'd rather just laugh at your assertion.

I mean using the words like "never"? lol. ok buddy.

Afrikan

care to provide some examples? apple has its iPads and iPhones--you can not only look at those and know what they are, but if it was post iPhone 6 launch or post iPad launch, if you saw one of those in public you'd think "woah that's pretty thin/that's pretty cool." with Surface Book you'd see it and think "woah that's pretty cool. that hinge is crazy." with Google Glass...etc. that's never been true for a Sony product, at least it hasn't been for quite some time. that isn't saying Sony design isn't bad, but it isn't to the level where you can say "the design is something only Sony could do."

Early 'Jony' iPhone concept shows Sony design influence

that's an article from 2009 for an annual design award. just because you win it one year doesn't immediately mean you have god-tier design--like, they awarded this last year. i think most people would agree with me in saying that it's a pretty pedestrian design.

I'm sure if I or anyone else provided any *examples*, you wouldn't consider them "astonishing or awesome."

so what is the point? I'd rather just laugh at your assertion.

I mean using the words like "never"? lol. ok buddy.

one of the things i hate the most in a discussion is when someone says "no, you're wrong" but then never gives any counterexample and instead gives excuses.

but you did decide to give a counterexample anyways. while i do admit that points to good design pedigree, i pointed out that as of recently ("it hasn't been for quite some time") they haven't done anything special, and once apple got to the point it is today, nothing came close to them. over time we have companies like microsoft and google starting to reach those levels, and arguably samsung with the S6. really, the problem i had with the original phrasing is that it implies only Sony could do something like this--when as of now, Sony's devices aren't anything to write home about design wise.

Also, you didn't even disprove me now that I think about it--I asked for a device that you could look at and say "that's Sony." The obvious choice I was expecting was the Walkman, instead you gave me an article about Apple having Sony design influences.

Raist

Banned
that's an article from 2009 for an annual design award. just because you win it one year doesn't immediately mean you have god-tier design--like, they awarded this last year. i think most people would agree with me in saying that it's a pretty pedestrian design.

Why do you emphasize 2009? You said "never". I googled sony design and that was like the first link anyway.

I don't know which planet you're from, but for a very, very long time Sony has always been synonymous with high-end, quality products (albeit expensive) with great design in the consumer electronics space.

But then again you listed Hololens so...

Koobion

comparitively, sony has never done anything astonishing to the point where you can look at it and say "that's a sony device and it looks awesome." they just don't have that pedigree.

They do have that pedigree; that's why the author mentioned it. The PS4 is a perfect example of it. It's so much smaller than the Xbox One, yet more powerful and has the power supply inside the unit. The Xbox's power supply is external, even with that massive case. The PS4 is undeniably slick and distinctive, even to people who don't care for its looks.

This is what Sony is known for. It makes no sense to say otherwise, when it's widely known.

rambis

Banned
all of those companies have made high end tech devices before, some of them devices that have completely redefined design for the area they exist in. they have all also tackled new types of devices and come out successful many times over. sony has a decent design team, sure, but it's not like they're anything so special that they're well above other companies.
Again, im talking specifically about HMDs. Im not talking random areas of tech.

Unlike any of the other companies u named, Sony has shipped several generations of these types of devices and almost fully can fab their own supplies. I would put both Sony and Samsung several cuts above other manufacturers when it somes to the scope of what they can produce. Others like Microsoft and to a lesser degree Apple out source a far larger degree of their designs to companies like Sony.

Fat4all

Banned
Love the Walkman designs.

walkman1_1436143i.jpg

Sexy.

I think you're overreaching with your assertion. Sony have a good design pedigree; there's no link I can provide with objective proof, but Xperia Z series smartphones go way beyond Apple's 'pedestrian' designs.

Check out a hardware teardown of the PS4 vs an Xbox One; they do have a degree of engineering elegance that some competitors don't exhibit.

Qwark

Come on dude, the Walkman is legendary. I'm not saying that other companies aren't great at designing things either, but Sony has definitely had some very well designed products and has earned that pedigree. Probably wasn't a good idea to use the word "never".

calder

Sexy.

The Minidisc player I had back in the day is still the sexiest, most satisfyingly designed piece of electronics I've ever owned.

MZ-R37_S_01_low.jpg

God it was so cool. I'd also accept the MZ series had some amazing looking units, but the R37 was my first.

Why do you emphasize 2009? You said "never". I googled sony design and that was like the first link anyway.

I don't know which planet you're from, but for a very, very long time Sony has always been synonymous with high-end, quality products (albeit expensive) with great design in the consumer electronics space.

But then again you listed Hololens so...

literally the next part of that sentence was "or at least haven't been for a while." apparently you and everybody else missed that for some reason.

They do have that pedigree; that's why the author mentioned it. The PS4 is a perfect example of it. It's so much smaller than the Xbox One, yet more powerful and has the power supply inside the unit. The Xbox's power supply is external, even with that massive case. The PS4 is undeniably slick and distinctive, even to people who don't care for its looks.

This is what Sony is known for. It makes no sense to say otherwise, when it's widely known.

that's a very limited scope, though, if we're looking only at consoles. the PS4 being smaller and more space efficient than the XB1 is a decent argument for saying that they're good at designing hardware, but again, so are other companies. Sony isn't suddenly above everybody else.

Again, im talking specifically about HMDs. Im not talking random areas of tech.

Unlike any of the other companies u named, Sony has shipped several generations of these types of devices and almost fully can fab their own supplies. I would put both Sony and Samsung several cuts above other manufacturers when it somes to the scope of what they can produce. Others like Microsoft and to a lesser degree Apple out source a far larger degree of their designs to companies like Sony.

i mean, that's fine, but the original quote was far more wide reaching than just HMDs

Sexy.

i agree, and probably the only good argument I've seen in this thread against my assertion, and it's one of the few posts not directly quoting me. go figure.

I think you're overreaching with your assertion. Sony have a good design pedigree; there's no link I can provide with objective proof, but Xperia Z series smartphones go way beyond Apple's 'pedestrian' designs.

Check out a hardware teardown of the PS4 vs an Xbox One; they do have a degree of engineering elegance that some competitors don't exhibit.

The Z phones aren't anything above Apple's design. Apple evolves with each step, the Z line still does the double sided glass thing that the iPhone 4 did and hasn't moved past that in 5 different iterations.

Come on dude, the Walkman is legendary. I'm not saying that other companies aren't great at designing things either, but Sony has definitely had some very well designed products.

i agree, but Walkman was quite a while ago. one of the other posters pointed out that recent Walkmans still look good, but is it really on another level? not really.

The Minidisc player I had back in the day is still the sexiest, most satisfyingly designed piece of electronics I've ever owned.

God it was so cool. I'd also accept the MZ series had some amazing looking units, but the R37 was my first.

Love that modular design. Wish there was some of that today, everything trying to be the same bland rounded edges rectangle. We need an old school design aesthetic resurgence dammit!

rambis

Banned
literally the next part of that sentence was "or at least haven't been for a while." apparently you and everybody else missed that for some reason.

that's a very limited scope, though, if we're looking only at consoles. the PS4 being smaller and more space efficient than the XB1 is a decent argument for saying that they're good at designing hardware, but again, so are other companies. Sony isn't suddenly above everybody else.

i mean, that's fine, but the original quote was far more wide reaching than just HMDs

i agree, and probably the only good argument I've seen in this thread against my assertion, and it's one of the few posts not directly quoting me. go figure.

The Z phones aren't anything above Apple's design. Apple evolves with each step, the Z line still does the double sided glass thing that the iPhone 4 did and hasn't moved past that in 5 different iterations.

i agree, but Walkman was quite a while ago. one of the other posters pointed out that recent Walkmans still look good, but is it really on another level? not really.
The post you quoted started like this

I know of Google's cardboard but I don't think any of those companies have any experience producing these types of HMDs.

How was it not obvious what I was talking about??

OK. Well they got 15 such awards in 2015. Is that recent enough, or too pedestrian still?

do you know what pedestrian means? it doesn't make any sense in that context.

The post you quoted started like this

How was it not obvious what I was talking about??

i know you were talking about HMDs. but then you made an argument that other companies doing well in other areas doesn't transfer, which i refuted. since you stuck to the point of "HMDs tho" i decided it wasn't worth the effort to refute.

What? I'm asking you if the stuff they got awards for this year is too "pedestrian" too.

the way you worded your sentence was that it was either they were recent enough or that they were too pedestrian, which made it sound like you wanted to use pedestrian as a synonym for outdated. my apologies if i misread. i would ask you to link me but I've derailed this thread enough. obviously I hold a minority opinion.

Raist

Banned
This may seem like a simple question but does the PS camera come with it? Should I be looking to pick it up cheap now before demand kicks up the price?

Well I guess it's reasonable to think that they'll have at least one SKU without the camera. I mean otherwise that'd be potentially forcing a second camera on some people. To which extent it's better to buy a camera now though, no idea.

This may seem like a simple question but does the PS camera come with it? Should I be looking to pick it up cheap now before demand kicks up the price?

If you don't have a camera or Move controllers I think you'll be better off waiting for them to bundle one with the headset and two motion controllers.

I've got a camera and a motion controller and nav controller, but am seriously considering getting another 2nd hand motion controller before they announce a launch date.

They haven't announced what's gonna be in the box yet, but I'd bet it'll come in a single package (SKU) with everything needed to function to make it "plug and play", meaning a camera. I also think it'll come with a single PSMove controller, but I'm not so sure about that since it isn't necessary (but without it developers may not make many Move games for PSVR). I doubt it'll have multiple SKUs, they'll want it as simple as possible for the masses (plus it'll be a fairly large package, more SKUs means less of each one for sale in each store).

Koobion

I don't see your point here. In the console space, you're admitting that Sony is superior. It's not a limited scope, because it's an example of why their hardware stands out and wins awards. This is what they do; it's their pedigree. You mentioned Microsoft as an equal designer of hardware, yet Sony has trumped them every generation in the console space. The mammoth size 360 external power supply is a perfect example of their inferior designs.

It seems like you're really hung up on semantics, so let me place them back at you. Consider the possibility that the author was intending to only note that the design of the headset was only possible at Sony because of its standout design. That fact, that their designs stand out, is undeniable. On top of that, their console designs are more efficient - as you even said.

An example of a Sony HMD, they've been doing this for a while.

Interesting, I'd seen the pic before, didn't know what it was for till now:

This nice piece of technology was relased in september 2002 in Japan for the price of 59,800 yens.

It is connected to the PS2 by the regular composite video or S-video and RCA audios cables and by an USB cable. Why an USB cable you might ask, well the PUD-J5A offers headtracking to a very limited number of games (and applications)

It has two 0.44-inch LCD panels of 180,000 pixels each, providing an image equivalent to a 42-inch screen at a distance of 2 meters.

http://playstationcollecting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=75&threadid=74177

Heh it even had its own breakout box too...

toy03.jpg

Only supported headtracking for six games though.

spwolf

that's an article from 2009 for an annual design award. just because you win it one year doesn't immediately mean you have god-tier design--like,

lol. You cant really not know that they win bunch of design awards, year after year, right? I mean Sony has been around for a long, long time.

Sony wins 15 Red Dot design awards in 2015
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/design/works/awards/rd_design_2015.html

Sony wins 13 Red Dot design awards in 2014
http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/03/24/sony-red-dot-deisgn-awards-2014/

Skyrise

The PSVR breakout box is a lot smaller than a Wii.
Also since someone was asking it, the headset is very comfortable to use also if you are wearing glasses.
I use our kits for hours with glasses on with no problem at all.

Top Bottom