• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR external processing box to be size of Wii

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Size doesn't matter at all with this thing. Especially since it packs a punch. I say let be bigger if it's going to augment or formance positively. Some act as if this is a point of joking. The damn box won't be the attention grabber. It's the pretty pictures and immersion of VR that are the stars.

Processing Unit sitting on top of PS4 it much smaller than the Wii
CWXQxPZUYAEDKgg.png

Quoting this as it gives better idea of box size due to it sitting atop PS4. Looks much smaller than a Wii, to me.

well, the Wii is about that size,
ps4wii.jpg

Phil4000

Kinda disappointed that there isn't a small graphics card in there to add some extra power.

I was thinking the same thing. I am hoping the extra box gives the system a gpu boost (like the N64 booster pack) considering:

The PS4 GPU is rated at 1.84 TFlops
The Xbox One GPU is rated at 1.31 TFlops
The GTX 980 (Notebook) is rated at 4.6 TFlops
The recommended minimum requirement of the Oculus Rift is the GTX 970 which is rated at 3.5 TFlops at stock settings.
Read more: http://wccftech.com/sony-vr-processing-box-nintendo-patent-external-graphics-adapter/#ixzz3uaTKNZQ1

With only the current PS4's weak GPU powering 120fps VR we will likely only see very basic games using VR, nothing that looks AAA visually :(

Hoo-doo

Banned
the problem i had is that they stated "only a company like Sony could make" when Sony design isn't anything that distinctive to warrant a remark like that. I mean, Apple is Apple, yes, and Microsoft has put some great designs out recently, as has Google:

comparitively, sony has never done anything astonishing to the point where you can look at it and say "that's a sony device and it looks awesome." they just don't have that pedigree.

Yeah i'd like to know your age. Because this is complete nonsense.
Sony's consumer product design has been lauded since the sixties, and it still is. The fact that you think either Google or Microsoft have them beat on that front is laughable, and out of touch with reality.

Go for a google search on Sony's design over the years. They have been steady sweeping every design award on a yearly basis.

This year's Good Design award winners
This year's Red Dot award winners
This year's iF design award winners

And that's just 2015.

hesido

It shouldn't have a "graphics booster" GPU. (It does need some form of processor for all those conversions). I think separation of concerns is a good thing. That box does the extra grunt required for the 2D viewer screen, and the same box / component could be used also with PS5.

Also to have a GPU as powerful as a PS4 sitting in that box would make me cringe when playing "PS4" only games :)

And then you'd need a super duper incredibly fast communication between the PS4 and that extra GPU, and that's a big problem to solve (very probably impossible), and it introduces the double pool of RAM problem, a problem they put a lot of emphasis on to solve, the whole principle of PS4's RAM system is having a unified pool of RAM.

Yeah i'd like to know your age. Because this is complete nonsense.
Sony's consumer product design has been lauded since the sixties, and it still is. The fact that you think either Google or Microsoft have them beat on that front is laughable, and out of touch with reality.

Go for a google search on Sony's design over the years. They have been steady sweeping every design award on a yearly basis.

This year's Good Design award winners
This year's Red Dot award winners
This year's iF design award winners

And that's just 2015.
Let me add:

Apple Looked to Sony for iPhone Design Inspiration

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2598..._design_inspiration_court_documents_show.html

UrbanRats

Does the Oculus have an external box too?
They updated their recommended specs to include 3 (three) USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0.

Fuckin hell, I'd rather have a goddamn external box if it could go around this bullshit.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
comparitively, sony has never done anything astonishing to the point where you can look at it and say "that's a sony device and it looks awesome." they just don't have that pedigree.

WTF?

I was thinking the same thing. I am hoping the extra box gives the system a gpu boost (like the N64 booster pack) considering:

The recommended minimum requirement of the Oculus Rift is the GTX 970 which is rated at 3.5 TFlops at stock settings.
Read more: http://wccftech.com/sony-vr-processing-box-nintendo-patent-external-graphics-adapter/#ixzz3uaTKNZQ1

With only the current PS4's weak GPU powering 120fps VR we will likely only see very basic games using VR, nothing that looks AAA visually :(

Uh... WTF?!

I thought due to COPPA you had to be older than 13 to register, lol.

Ah!

Hoo-doo

Banned

There's plenty of impressions out there if you're really concerned.

I recall Brad Shoemaker on last weeks' Bombcast being blown away by the thing in terms of visuals.
You really don't need photorealism to create an amazing VR experience.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
B]With only the current PS4's weak GPU powering 120fps VR we will likely only see very basic games using VR, nothing that looks AAA visually :([/B]

You do realise that games can be made at 60fps and reprojected to 120fps don't you.

There will be plenty of visually stunning games in VR for PS4.

who is ready to pay 300 bucks for PSVR?

I'm ready to spend £299 which I think will be the UK retail price which will include the headset, add on box, camera and a game.

Holy derailed thread, Batman.

Can we plug the camera into the box? I am just a couple feet short with where I need it placed in my TV room. I'm really curious about cable length and proprietary USB bullshit like the camera.

KORNdoggy

so smaller then the xbox power brick then? :p

sounds good to me. i'd rather have people be able to see what i'm seeing then not.

the problem i had is that they stated "only a company like Sony could make" when Sony design isn't anything that distinctive to warrant a remark like that. I mean, Apple is Apple, yes, and Microsoft has put some great designs out recently, as has Google:

You know Apple's Steve Jobs was a huge fan of Sony design and many many times praised Sony designs as being some of the best in the world. He admired Akio Morita, one of the two founders of Sony.

Sony has some of the best designs hardware wise in the world. They won many prizes for it. They have the best engineers and they're know for it.

That fact that you brought Microsoft and Google into the discussion makes your argument very weak and questionable. Microsoft just recently started to have nice designs with the Surface line specifically and Google ? please.

Do some research and you will be surprised. Most of the people that downplay Sony designs are people that grew up in the 2000's, when Sony started to have it's downtimes with the previous president and even then, they still had solid stuff. I'm not saying everything they make is good design wise but most of it is and the proofs and reviews are there for you to look at.

Sony problems has always been the lack of marketing and exposure for their products. They're totally underrated in this aspect. The only company that comes close or beat Sony in design is Apple.

Holy derailed thread, Batman.

Can we plug the camera into the box? I am just a couple feet short with where I need it placed in my TV room. I'm really curious about cable length and proprietary USB bullshit like the camera.
I am pretty certain the camera needs to be plugged directly into the PS4.

who is ready to pay 300 bucks for PSVR?
I am, that's an extremely cheap price of entry if you already have a PS4.

Even if the processing box did give a boost, it'd never be as big as to bring PS4 anywhere near the GTX 980, so that's out of the question.

Moreover, PSVR and Oculus are still two different setups. Oculus doesn't get to-the-metal access on PC; PSVR can on PS4. The hardware configuration of the VR helmets is likely very different in both cases, too. They also take slightly different approaches to rendering and displaying the VR.

Another thing to consider is, if what you're saying is true, why are so many ambitious VR games like the dinosaur one from PSX being attempted? I think out of anybody, the devs know what PSVR is technically capable of, and if they didn't think it were up to par, that game and a few others wouldn't be seeing PSVR versions. So I'll take their support as a vote of confidence in the unit's capabilities.

Put down the pipe; get off that rock.

labx

Banned
I will be pleasantly surprised if it's this inexpensive, and yes I expect to get in day one if its $500 or less. My guess would be $350 without the required camera.

So they are going to sell the whole enchilada or bundles or what? VR set need camara and a lot of stuff my guess is 400 dollars bundle with game? Say No Man Sky?

All I said is it sucks to have a box that size. Which it does.

It's kind of sad I need to write this out.

Thinking a factor of something sucks doesn't mean you hate the product. You are actually allowed to dislike certain aspects of a product and not be all in on every idea. So when one person thinks the idea of a Wii sized box sucks, he's entitled to that very valid opinion without comments of sucks to be you! Or defending Sony asking well what else can sony do

And I was going to keep the headset in one of my entertainment center drawers.
Yeah I'd love to see an actual counter to your complaint, ie someone who is happy to have yet another hunk of plastic in their setup. 'Yay, another box I have to plug in!' Really though, people are trying to spin this as a good thing? Haha.

Head.spawn

I can't believe people are genuinely hung up over the size of this thing. Bizarre.

Make room for it, which should take you three seconds, it's going to be awesome you jerks.
Kinda felt the same, if I'm honest.

An equally fucking silly thing to complain about. I tossed the thing on the ground behind my entertainment center when I hooked it up and I've only seen it once more since launch, when I had to hook it up again after moving into a new house.

No loud fan trying to dissipate heat is a great trade off for having to see it once every few years.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well it's cute that they made it look like a mini ps4.

btw exactly what kind of cables does this thing use? Are they also carrying audio?

Probably no audio as you will either be using your own headphones or your speakers.

Probably no audio as you will either be using your own headphones or your speakers.
Audio comes from the breakout box to the headset via HDMI, and is then split off to a headphone jack on the headset itself, so you can use your own headphones. You won't use your home theater system or whatever. They'll likely include some decent earbuds with the headset, and you can swap those out for whatever you like.

Wondering if the psvr will come with move and ps camera or if I should get a head start
It's likely they'll have a decently priced bundle that includes everything, so you may as well wait for that, I'd say. They'll probably also sell everything a la carte as well though, for people like myself who already have the Camera, and a pair of wands and nav-pickle from the PS3 days, but I don't think you really need to rush out and stock up on that stuff if you don't already have it for other reasons like Sport Champions or Playroom.

It's not interpolation and not at all like that which a smart TV does.

I thought the reprojection was done as a GPGPU task?

The box does process audio and does offer a TV-suitable picture for those outside the headset.
I wasn't talking about reprojection exclusively, but it is in fact a form of interpolation that is aided by positional data to maintain accurate movement prediction. http://ps4daily.com/2015/03/ps4-vr-headset-120-fps/

onQ123

ROBINJOURNEY_610.jpg

18736952938_3618e08966_z.jpg

driveclub-totalpsvr.jpg

AAA is a relative term. Playroom VR looks loads better than a AAA game like Metal Gear Solid — yes, the first one — and it's rendering a reprojected, native 120 fps, stereoscopic view for the VR player, plus a completely independent 30 fps view for the Social Screen players.

Plus, it's fucking VR, FFS. ><

Interpolation requires and A and a C to obtain a B (increasing latency). Reprojection creates a B from only A + new positioning data.
Uhm, you do realize that positioning data would = C, right? Interpolation by definition uses two defined data points to produce an in-between result, whether it's two images or image + motion data.

It's more of an estimation or prediction than an interpolation.
Except in every instance that it's been discussed, much like timewarp for Oculus, it references two distinct frames being used to create the frame in-between with positional data aiding in the smoothing of the pixel projection.

Does the Oculus have an external box too?
They updated their recommended specs to include 3 (three) USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0.

Fuckin hell, I'd rather have a goddamn external box if it could go around this bullshit.

Agreed, pain in the ass that. I'll have to get a pcie card as is due to mobo being old, and now I've read on reddit a pcie card may not be enough to combat latency, you might need a card per USB slot which would be ridiculous. Really don't wanna get another mobo :/

Except in every instance that it's been discussed, much like timewarp for Oculus, it references two distinct frames being used to create the frame in-between with positional data aiding in the smoothing of the pixel projection.
I don't know who's explaining it that way, but they're wrong.

It takes time to render a frame from the point of view of your head. By the time it's done rendering, you may have turned your head a bit, and that tree we just drew directly in front of you should now be off to your right. Reprojection takes the frame we rendered and slides it around so it matches up to the current position of your face. If your display is much faster than your engine, you can actually reposition and redisplay that same picture of the centered tree twice, but in no case do you ever create any new frames at all.

It's not a frame-maker. It's a frame-jiggler.

I don't know who's explaining it that way, but they're wrong.

It takes time to render a frame from the point of view of your head. By the time it's done rendering, you may have turned your head a bit, and that tree we just drew directly in front of you should now be off to your right. Reprojection takes the frame we rendered and slides it around so it matches up to the current position of your face. If your display is much faster than your engine, you can actually reposition and redisplay that same picture of the centered tree twice, but in no case do you ever create any new frames at all.

It's not a frame-maker. It's a frame-jiggler.
Yes, but we're still talking about interpolation based on initial frame-draw and positional changes (with an "oversized" frame). Due to how it creates the B frame it is labled as reprojection. Are you working on Morpheus devkit? A group of locals that was working on PC titles has been testing our VR after I initially pointed them in the direction of some AR and VR experiments my production group was doing a few years back. I'd love for them to end up on PSVR vs limiting themselves to only GearVR.

Sorral

Wondering if the psvr will come with move and ps camera or if I should get a head start

Maybe grab an extra PS move now on the cheap before they go up again or get higher prices in bundles. I wouldn't grab two or the camera now if I didn't already have them though. I have the camera and one move controller already, so I think I'm just going to wait for now.

Nothing exciting - I'm just a lowly Event Manager. Next to zero involvement with the hardware/software teams. But yeah, I've set up and taken down hundreds and hundreds of VR kits, and the PU is nowhere near the size of a Wii.

Yeah, exactly. 1xHDMI in, 1xHDMI out, power (with separate power brick), micro USB and then the VR connection cable which is one cable, but two plugs - one for video, one for data. That goes into the front of the PU, the rest go into the back.

Nice, thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom