• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR external processing box to be size of Wii

Dazza

LOL at neogaffer1, he has no idea. Sony has always been big in design circles for 4 decades at least.

Breakout box no biggie, we were all expecting this anyway.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
We'd all like the box to be as small as possible.
Do I want to make space for another box? No. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Is there some reason the box needs to have its own permanent place somewhere? Can't stack on ps4 or place next to you when you bring out the headset?

bomblord1

Banned
Well the Wii was the size of 2 dvd boxes stacked on top of each other and this is apparently slightly smaller. hardly an issue.

Edit: This is my 5000th post.

Hmmm

We'd all like the box to be as small as possible.
Do I want to make space for another box? No. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Nobody said it's a deal breaker. It is barely a criticism, much less a demand. A minor expression of annoyance is completely undeserving of some of the flippant responses in this thread.

Is there some reason the box needs to have its own permanent place somewhere? Can't stack on ps4 or place next to you when you bring out the headset?

Some people act like you have to mount it on your entertainment center or something. The OP actually says it is a bit smaller than a Wii. I am just going to put it on top of my PS4, or simply put it away with my headset until I use the headset. No reason it has to be permanently placed in the Entertainment or cant sit on the PS4.

However, it seems some people simply dont have any space for it AND dont have any storage space for it at all. So to them, its a big deal.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Some people act like you have to mount it on your entertainment center or something. The OP actually says it is a bit smaller than a Wii. I am just going to put it on top of my PS4, or simply put it away with my headset until I use the headset. No reason it has to be permanently placed in the Entertainment or cant sit on the PS4.

i agree. take it out when you want to use it, put it away otherwise.

However, it seems some people simply dont have any space for it AND dont have any storage space for it at all. So to them, its a big deal.

it makes no sense. if you cant make the space for it then you dont want it enough. the VCR can go in the garage, it doesnt have to be hooked up "just in case" or for looks.

Reallink

With Vive you'll have to mount 2 laser cube projectors on tripods in different corners of your room and wire an AC adapter to each. Mounting a breakout box to your entertainment center would be easy mode comparatively.

And you also need the camera, right?

And for a lot of games, 2 moves?

Will the initial package come with all of this. It is a bit much to connect and put together.

I hope a lot of games have nice control options and being able to play a lot of the games on the TV. I know and understand that is far fetched and loses the point but I'm sure some games could be fun without vr too
Not to mention the strain of vr.

Are there new move controllers? A

Qwark

With Vive you'll have to mount 2 laser cube projectors on tripods in different corners of your room and wire an AC adapter to each. Mounting a breakout box to your entertainment center would be easy mode comparatively.

Seriously? I haven't been following Vive at all, that sounds like a pain in the ass though.

I've been working with PSVR for like 6 months. It's not the size of a Wii. Even in the early kits, it was never the size of a Wii. It's like, slightly smaller than an external HDD.

Having to continually unplug HDMI cables etc. isn't exactly convenient, so leaving it set up is the easier option.

Seriously? I haven't been following Vive at all, that sounds like a pain in the ass though.

You don't need tripods, if anything its easier than what Oculus would require if you wanted to do a multi camera setup. You just need an available outlet for the boxes vs usb input for the cameras. You can mount it if you want but as long as it isn't literally on the ground or heavily occluded by other objects it should be able to track well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
comparitively, sony has never done anything astonishing to the point where you can look at it and say "that's a sony device and it looks awesome." they just don't have that pedigree.

Holy shit....you have absolutely no idea, do you?

kyser73

Most likely used to process the image, not the game graphics. So the box would take a normal PS4 signal, distort it to suit the lenses (fish-eye effect) and use frame interpolation to reach 120Hz.

What? Where?

Nope. Consoles outputs fisheye & handles reprojection, box is for binaural processing & de-barreling the image to output to a TV.

Radec

2nd gen of psvr's box might be as small as an apple tv.

the problem i had is that they stated "only a company like Sony could make" when Sony design isn't anything that distinctive to warrant a remark like that. I mean, Apple is Apple, yes, and Microsoft has put some great designs out recently, as has Google:

comparitively, sony has never done anything astonishing to the point where you can look at it and say "that's a sony device and it looks awesome." they just don't have that pedigree.

To you. because you hate anything Sony.

UnrealEck

What's the purpose of this box? Is it doing some sort of interpolation to get 120 FPS from 60 FPS? Surely there's more to it than that though if it's an added box.

Nafai1123

Banned
What's the purpose of this box? Is it doing some sort of interpolation to get 120 FPS from 60 FPS? Surely there's more to it than that though if it's an added box.

It's not even doing that. Reprojection is done on the PS4. The box handles binaural audio and unwarping the image to display on the TV.

"Is this headset a controller for the Wii?"

"No sir, the box is just shaped like the Wii, the headset is fo-"

"This is for the Wii isn't it??"

Matt

the problem i had is that they stated "only a company like Sony could make" when Sony design isn't anything that distinctive to warrant a remark like that. I mean, Apple is Apple, yes, and Microsoft has put some great designs out recently, as has Google:

That's...insane how wrong you are.

Sorral

Really glad to hear that the headset very comfortable even with glasses being reinforced over and over.

Also, I have to admit that seeing the design pictures of the laptops in the previous page got a chuckle out of me. I'd post pictures, but that's just a wee bit too OT.

I've been working with PSVR for like 6 months. It's not the size of a Wii. Even in the early kits, it was never the size of a Wii. It's like, slightly smaller than an external HDD.

That's pretty nice size. How many cables so far? Five like the pictures in here?

EvB

There are certain video formats that you can't pass through HDMI , so at thievery least this is to help bypass some of those limitations and standards.

It's also going to act as the PSU for the headset and make sure that there is only a single cable going to the headset rather than 3.

Mung

Couldn't be more wrong,and absurd to suggest that even Microsoft have put out greater hardware designs than Sony. The number of iconic Sony designs through the decades is huge, going from the original Walkman to the triniton, to storage devices such as floppy disks and cds (with Phillips) etc. In terms of consoles, the designs have been mostly outstanding. Even the ps2 box is iconic design!

UnrealEck

There are certain video formats that you can't pass through HDMI , so at thievery least this is to help bypass some of those limitations and standards.

It's also going to act as the PSU for the headset and make sure that there is only a single cable going to the headset rather than 3.

Aye that makes sense. I knew there had to be something I was missing from assuming it was some sort of processor for the interpolation.

Sorral

I wonder if the headset is confortable to lay down in. Id love to play games while laying in bed
I want to do the same especially for tripy VR experiences, but I imagine that the camera will need to see the lights on the VR headset for positioning purposes. I can see myself trying to get the camera to work while still laying down... lol

kyser73

Aye that makes sense. I knew there had to be something I was missing from assuming it was some sort of processor for the interpolation.

According to a PSVR developer talk all the reprojection/warp work is handled by the console in GPU compute.

The box itself processes binaural 3D sound & handles the de-barrelling of the image to a local TV for viewing & asynchronous play (both of which have been demoed). IIRC it also does some sensor processing as well prior to it going to the console, although I might be wrong there.

What it doesn't do is give a performance boost in the direct way people think, more it does some lifting that would otherwise take up cycles on the console - performance assistance if you will.

Can you talk about what you're working on?

Nothing exciting - I'm just a lowly Event Manager. Next to zero involvement with the hardware/software teams. But yeah, I've set up and taken down hundreds and hundreds of VR kits, and the PU is nowhere near the size of a Wii.

That's pretty nice size. How many cables so far? Five like the pictures in here?

Yeah, exactly. 1xHDMI in, 1xHDMI out, power (with separate power brick), micro USB and then the VR connection cable which is one cable, but two plugs - one for video, one for data. That goes into the front of the PU, the rest go into the back.

Yeah, exactly. 1xHDMI in, 1xHDMI out, power (with separate power brick), micro USB and then the VR connection cable which is one cable, but two plugs - one for video, one for data. That goes into the front of the PU, the rest go into the back.

Interesting! Does the micro USB go into one of the front USB3 sockets on the PS4, or does it somehow share the AUX socket on the back with the camera?

Mihos

Gold Member

What the hell, Sony not having a pedigree? You are either very young or very uninformed. Pretty much every device you showed pays royalties to Sony for parts of their design or underlying technology

Nobody said it's a deal breaker. It is barely a criticism, much less a demand. A minor expression of annoyance is completely undeserving of some of the flippant responses in this thread.
When someone insists several times that this box cannot be managed because of a lack of space, then yeah, I'm going to call him out for being silly.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are there new move controllers? A

There has to be a redesigned PSVR-branded version coming out, at the very least to rename the "Start" and "Select" buttons. There's no way a design-conscious (despite what neogaffer1 thinks) company like Sony is just going to re-use the old Move without any PSVR style cues.

But while they've said all along that PSVR is Move-compatible I don't think that explicitly rules out any functionality enhancements. They've been hesitant to specify final control details. At the very least we'll have a cosmetically different yet functionally identical PSVR Move, but I'm expecting to see a few tweaks if not a substantial enhancment. With that in mind I'm sure we'll see a minimum of 2 SKUS: PSVR-only and PSVR + Camera + "PSVR Move(s)".

Top Bottom