• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Chapter 51 was completed, would MGS5 be your GOTY?

Tabris

I was just thinking about this while watching a couple GOTY lists, most don't have MGS5 winning but almost all of them have it in contention.

For those of you that think MGS5 doesn't deserve GOTY, would a completed a Chapter 51 have changed your opinion or ranking on the game in terms of GOTY? If not, why?

For those of you that still consider MGS5 your GOTY, why doesn't the fact the game is incomplete bother you?

Oh, and #FucKonami

Only if that also somehow made the plot more coherent, interesting and important to the game other than just random nonsense.

Hopeford

Game being incomplete doesn't bother me that much because that mostly relates to the story. The gameplay is very much complete and I had tons, tons of fun with it. I mean end of the day I had more fun with it than any other game released this year so it's my GOTY, incomplete or not.

DNAbro

It not being finished was just one of the things wrong with it. I have a problem with the core gameplay loop as well.

This reminds me of Mass Effect 3, how people latch on to the ending sucking being the big problem.

The game was the big problem, fam.

Zalman

My main problem with the game was the repetitive mission structure, boring open world. It being incomplete was the least of its problems.

antitrop

There was already too much of it. I don't want more, I wanted what was already there to be better and more tightly paced.

My main problem with the game was the repetitive mission structure, boring open world. It being incomplete was the least of its problems.

Yep, this. It being incomplete didn't impact my enjoyment of the game, the game not being that fun did.

Tabris

This reminds me of Mass Effect 3, how people latch on to the ending sucking being the big problem.

The game was the big problem, fam.

It's completely different then Mass Effect 3. In this game, the ending wasn't actually completed / developed. It's an incomplete game.

It's kind of like having Evangelion, except End of Evangelion never got completed, just the tv show.

So it needs more than the fabled mission 51.

It's not fabled though. The collection edition dvd outlines exactly what was intended with Mission 51 to end the game along with Mission 48 (I may have forgotten the number).

KorrZ

Mission 51 alone, based on what we saw of it would not have fixed the game's complete lack of story, no. Which is the real thing that dropped it from #2 to about #7 on my GOTY list.

The whole story needed to be something entirely different. END GAME SPOILERS
like for instance, actually be the story of Big Boss' turning point rather than nameless soldier
END GAME SPOILERS.

cj_iwakura

Pretty sure it was anyway. Half of my enjoyment of V comes from having played Peace Walker. If you haven't, you won't care about any of the cast.

Nope. The game had far too many repetitive missions objective and the story itself wasn't the best. Of course the main issue is the current micro transaction business which I acknowledge in naming goty.

For those of you that still consider MGS5 your GOTY, why doesn't the fact the game is incomplete bother you?

Because what's the point of judging a game for what it isn't rather than what it is? The story does leave several loose ends but we always have this ideal scenario in our heads where "Chapter 51" was suddenly going to make everything better, or giving Kojima more time and more money would've ensured MGS V was a perfect game through and through.

I'm 23 years old, and let me be the first to say...I'm fucking done with those arguments. MGS V could've secretly lead into the cancelled Silent Hills or maybe there would've been full-on mecha fights in the style of ZoE in there. Ultimately, we'll never know. If people want to use an unknown quantity and level that against MGS V, go right ahead. There are plenty of things that ARE there that are worthy of criticism. Regardless of all of that, MGS V as a game was fucking marvelous (in my philistine opinion of course), and it is my Game of the Year.

There, I said my piece. Judge me or don't, doesn't matter to me. Just know that's where I stand.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nope. I think the game would have to take my time seriously and cut the junk missions first.

Mifec

It's my GOTY gameplay options/overall feel wise, destroys BB and W3.

But W3 is a much better game so nah.

yami4ct

I love the game as is, but more of it isn't going to elevate it to the top of my list. It's Top 5 for sure, but there were other games that comprise my Top 3 that are truly special and MGSV was never gonna compete with those.

sam777

This was my problem. Getting dropped in the same places got boring quickly for me. Also many of the missions just felt like filler content and only a few of them actually progressed the story.

Tabris

I thought the ending was fantastic btw.

Just the story wasn't finished. I would have liked the ending to remain the same, but Chapter 51 to exist.

Courage

Hell no. It wouldn't even be close if it just ended at Chapter 1.

The game's flaws are more fundamental than something that just needed to be supplemented.

Alienous

MGSV might be my GOTY, but I don't think Chapter 51 would have changed anything.

It would have given the game a nice 'out' but that wasn't a glaring omission. The game already had a good ending, they just placed it at the end of Chapter 1. There are other issues with the story and repetition that hinder the game much more.

Hypron

No they'd need to rewrite the whole story.

The gameplay is absolutely great but it's not the only game with good gameplay that came out this year.

Well maybe. Currently it sits at #2. I'd have to see how it ended. I actually think people would have received the overall game if it ended with chapter 1 and reworked the ending some. It's chapter two where the money/dev time runs out.

But what's there is the most fun I've ever had playing a MGS game. The mechanics and attention to detail that I've always loved in MGS games applied to an open sandbox style game is something I've never seen before. And something I didn't think you could pull off.

Even with the story an after thought and the game unfinished,miss still one of the best games I've played.

Let's get more open world stealth games!

papo

No it already was. What I saw about it gave me enough closure on those parts of the story although it would have been cool.
It would also have been similar as in another gear fight, but in another place

The game was my personal GOTY and I enjoyed everything about it. Also the story is not really bad
I feel that the 'it's not really Big Boss complaints are BS. He was him, the legend for what it mattered. It not cheating us of a good game./story

Top Bottom