• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Chapter 51 was completed, would MGS5 be your GOTY?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they'd remaster MGS4 with MGS5's controls and mechanics. It'd be billion's of times better than MGS5.

almost nothing about this is a remaster, this is literally designing a new game

Zomba13

No. It'd just have wrapped up one of the plot threads left open. It would still have all the other problems, just one less problem.

For those of you that still consider MGS5 your GOTY, why doesn't the fact the game is incomplete bother you?

I've compared it to a double disc album before. Disc 1 is The Chronic. Disc 2 is just an EP with some remixes and a few classics OST songs from the same time frame like Deep Cover and Natural Born Killaz. Disc 2 being an also-ran bonus disc doesn't mean Disc 1 isn't still The Chronic. Also, it's not ideal, but even it's incompleteness resonates with me in the way storied, lost posthumous material does when it's thrown together or touched up... I know the whys and hows, and can even see something interesting in that aspect of it, if anything.

I wish the game'd had another year, but it already is my GOTY in spite of itself. If they'd finished the cut Eli content, called Chapter 2 an epilogue with only yellow missions, made extreme/total stealth/subsistence selected difficulties for everything, and completely removed the microtransaction balancing it'd probably be my Game of Forever. Seriously above all else, if you're still playing it regularly now and see how truly abyssal the grind is, the microtransaction set up is a crime against gaming... if this game was going to be the second coming, they crucified it.

No. The game has serious problems and not just for Chapter 51. The game is missing a lot more and Kojima just didn't had time to make the game he wanted. So no.

No, but it would have been AMAZING to play it and would have make it my N°2 (right now is my N°3).

Regarding the story, I didn't have any complaints about it because the casette tapes gave me all the development, clousure, and explanations I wanted.

JackelZXA

No because Bloodborne still came out this year.

Okay but seriously, the biggest problem with the game is that most of the content was missing. 51 is a sticking point because that was nearly done, but they still lost like 2-3 maps and entire sub-threads. If you pay attention to the conversation with codetalker on the chopper, it feels like 2 sub-threads about skullface selling trick nukes and sahelanthropus's just kind of runs in there all of a sudden.

Most of the missions in the game are filler for missing content, and there's only about 16 chapters worth of real content in this game. The problem is that this was a 2017 game that got shoved out to 2015 and konami didnt give kojima what he needed to finish it. Eli's story finishing is just one of many problems.

I still love the game. Second best game of the year. Bloodborne 2015 4evr

Javin98

Banned
Well, I just got a PS4 in December and only had time to complete MGSV, Far Cry 4 and SW Battlefront, so MGSV is my GOTY 2015, I guess. I will play Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 someday, though. But yeah, I would have loved Mission 51 to be included, but I'm also fine if it's not in. I'm one of the few on GAF who loved the story and ending twist.

Also, speaking of this, has anyone been to this subreddit?
https://m.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver&ved=0ahUKEwj8z9aWyIfKAhVMCo4KHXbhDxYQFggfMAE&usg=AFQjCNEL0oTRkIrKQc0fIXH4bOGCb64KAA&sig2=bufvC9HAOFdJXmsEZns_dg

It is a subreddit dedicated to finding this supposedly missing Chapter 3 hidden in the game files and I thought some might be interested. The best theory right now is that we need to get the nuclear disarmament ending.

Zemm

No way.

If anything they should be removing the shit from the game like having to do the hour long 'hold up on the analogue stick' prologue twice. The game needs an editor more than an ending, although both would be nice.

SoulUnison

Banned
There were other problems.

For a Metal Gear game, there weren't very many cutscenes, and very few actually memorable ones.
Skull Face was a hilariously poor villain and the game seems to randomly off him because there's just no place in the plot for the character.
Splitting the game into "chapters" even though 80% of the game is in Chapter "1."
The "open world" design ended up being barren and uninteresting, for the most part, and having only 2 "sandboxes" is just...crushingly disappointing.
Mother Base is almost completely pointless.
SO many scrapped and broken promises. "You'll return to Camp Omega. It'll be something amazing that can only be done in the medium of video games!"

The FOX Engine is amazing and the game has such an incredible foundation for stealth-action gameplay, but Phantom Pain needed another year in the oven. I feel like I bought a game that just...stopped being developed about halfway to two-thirds through.

Certinty

No, had the game had a proper act 2 and ending with correctly numbered missions then it would probably finish 2nd for me though. Saying that it might already be 2nd for me anyway.

Nothing has come close to beating Life Is Strange as my GOTY this year.

NotLiquid

Hell no.

Chapter 51 resolves only one plot thread that due to its set up did not need any sort of resolving. Nothing changes or develops about Eli or Venom's character. Not only that but it seemingly recycles yet another element with it's boss battle which was already a pretty crappy one. It's not any more definitive of an ending than what we already got - it's just more of a drag.

ref

There was already too much of it. I don't want more, I wanted what was already there to be better and more tightly paced.

I agree.

Far too much WOLBACHIA and COPULATION.

Gameplay was fine, although it did get tedious as once you figure out how you want to play it, at least for me I found I generally approach situations the same way with very little variance.

LeonSPBR

To me MGSV is a GOTY, and it seems many people in the industry agree that MGSV is a great game and a GOTY contender to say the least.

Banned
Yes. Without a doubt. That ending we ended up with makes me want to punch Kojima in the face if that's what we got with seven years of development.

MGSV is safely in my top 10 solely for its sublime gameplay. I honestly think it's the best-controlling third-person action/shooty game ever made. While I would have liked another half dozen bossfights, I think everything to do with the gameplay is pretty much unimpeachable. It's fucking incredible, end of story.

However, the game is an absolute mess in pretty much every other way. I actually like what little story there is (at least in Chapter 1), but it is so poorly paced and bizarrely told. Such a huge gap of nothingness between Mission 2 and Mission 27, then the game dumps a mountain of wolbachia exposition on you in the last few missions that it expects you to listen to while also telling you it's time to go and get Skull Face. That surreal Jeep ride, the unfathomable decision to split the game into two chapters, every shitty thing to do with Quiet. The hubbub over dropping Hayter for Sutherland because they needed a proper actor for their new facial capture, only to find out that Venom never spoke or moved his face anyway.

The Peace Walker grind came back with a vengeance, now with a few dozen more hoops to jump through to watch your progress bars fill up. Side Ops were reduced to cut & paste 'Extract Soldier #27' and 'Eliminate Tank Unit #19', while what used to be Side Ops were integrated into the main story with zero context. "Boss, blow up some tanks for fifteen minutes because I guess Cipher might be behind it or something". Why would you set Mission 43 during another parasite outbreak instead of having you do it during the first one when the revenge plot actually means something? What happened to this fucking game?

Mission 51 wouldn't have saved anything; it's one subplot wrapped up in a game where the main plot already came to a wet fart of a conclusion twenty hours earlier. I'd still absolutely love to know what this game might have looked like if Kojima had actually finished the whole thing, but for all we know that could have taken him another five years.

Because what's the point of judging a game for what it isn't rather than what it is? The story does leave several loose ends but we always have this ideal scenario in our heads where "Chapter 51" was suddenly going to make everything better, or giving Kojima more time and more money would've ensured MGS V was a perfect game through and through.

I'm 23 years old, and let me be the first to say...I'm fucking done with those arguments. MGS V could've secretly lead into the cancelled Silent Hills or maybe there would've been full-on mecha fights in the style of ZoE in there. Ultimately, we'll never know. If people want to use an unknown quantity and level that against MGS V, go right ahead. There are plenty of things that ARE there that are worthy of criticism. Regardless of all of that, MGS V as a game was fucking marvelous (in my philistine opinion of course), and it is my Game of the Year.

There, I said my piece. Judge me or don't, doesn't matter to me. Just know that's where I stand.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Chapter 51, a Solidus mention (seriously, just one fucking sentence), and one more boss would really help.

KingBroly

Banned
No, while the gameplay is absolutely great...everything in-between isn't. While the story and telling of isn't great, the massive amounts of empty space between points on the map, along with the loading that goes along with is aggravating. Grinding up points and materials to make new weapons, everything feels like a gigantic chore to reach an end-game that's too far away. It just makes you very weary of going back to it every time you fire it up or want to.

THEN you have the FOB bullshit...

Josman

No, it would certainly help a lot but the game was so freaking pointless

You're a random soldier while the real big boss is out there doing stuff I would rather see

Oh and.. No bosses, like seriously? The thing I loved the most, boss fights

Worst MGS game, coming from a big fan

It would need to be a whole lot more than adding chapter 51 back in. It's clearly a remnant of a time when that whole part of the storyline was at all important to the main "story." With the game as it is, ending on that chapter would be just kind of random and out of place. I mean, I guess it'd be cool to see, but it would require far more work than just restoring that chapter to fix anything.

MGSV charts kind of low on my top 10 for the year, I had a blast playing it but all my thoughts since finishing have been largely negative and disappointed. Adding that back in wouldn't change its standing for me.

AwShucks

Nope. It's still a minimal Metal Gear game which makes it less enjoyable to me. I love the amount of crazy in Metal Gear games so to be missing so much was unfortunate.

Plus Bloodborne still exists.

AniHawk

mgsv is a really great game, but chapter 51 and everything that happens with eli is superfluous and unnecessary within the game.

mgsv is a really great game, but chapter 51 and everything that happens with eli is superfluous and unnecessary within the game.

Yep. You can also watch the video of what Episode 51 is, and its nothing special. There's a lot wrong with the game that prevents it from being GOTY in my book, and Episode 51 isn't going to fix it.

RK9039

Fuck no, there were just too many great games this year. The missing episode was just one of the big issues I had with TPP.

SZips

God no. There were so many other things wrong with that game besides just the "missing" Chapter 3 stuff.

The gameplay was great, probably the best in the entire series but there was just so many other things wrong.

Depends.
If mission 51 is a major online co-op event and a grand finale? Absolutely.
Otherwise, eh, it wouldn't fix the game's biggest flaw, which is the inconclusive ending (or rather lack thereof).

But it would still be my GOTY either way.

yuraya

For those of you that still consider MGS5 your GOTY, why doesn't the fact the game is incomplete bother you?

Because between main ops, side ops, FOB, MB management and MGO you are looking at a game with over 200 hours of content in it. The game is like the Skyrim of stealth/action games that plays like a dream. The bang for the buck value is insane. If it was a short 10 hour linear corridor game than being incomplete would been a bigger deal. In this case its not.

Besides that everyone knows how everything ends. You know what happens Ocelot. You know what happens to Mantis. You know what happens to Eli. You know what happens to Outer Heaven. You know what happens to Zero. You know what happens to Big Boss. You know what happens to Kaz. You know what eventually happens to Huey. You know everyone's fate and how it all ends in the future titles based on the story timeline.

The three or so new important characters in the game had their story and ark resolved. The game is missing like at most 3-4 missions that were supposed to lead up to 46. Yes its incomplete but its not as bad as some make it out to be.

Wagram

No. Pacing and mission design is a huge problem in MGSV.

Where are the bosses? Where is the tight story? Why is Ocelot not Ocelot?

HardRojo

I liked the game, but it'd need to be re-released as a smaller game, more similar in structure to its predecessors for me to consider it GotY contender.

Story was dull and forgettable, sure as hell didn't live up to the promise of breaking taboos and men becoming demons (well, except for Snake inexplicably calling himself a demon early on for some reason because lol subtlety). An extra ending with a stupid death fake out wouldn't have changed that.

Story was dull and forgettable, sure as hell didn't live up to the promise of breaking taboos and men becoming demons (well, except for Snake inexplicably calling himself a demon early on for some reason because lol subtlety). An extra ending with a stupid death fake out wouldn't have changed that.

Right, and honestly it tempered my views on Kojima as a creator a bit. It didn't seem like this was the kind of story that just needed more time that he didn't get, but it seemed like throughout the course of the game there was very little focus on what Kojima continuously suggested the final product would provide. There are segments of the game that are impactful or well directed, but they have very little relevance regarding the whole, which ended up feeling kinda disappointing and lacking in any sort of cohesion. The game just comes off as a bloated project without a solid vision to me.

tuxfool

Banned

Trailers told a better story than the game.

The story manages to promise something on which in never delivers. We were promised the fall of Big Boss, the rise of Outer Heaven, the "Breaking Bad" of the series, instead, we get what basically accounts to another filler episode that doesn't really move the narrative forward. I mean, ever since MGS3 we wanted to see two things "The foundation of Foxhound and the Rise of Outer Heaven"... Both are never shown... I mean, how hard is it to NOT make useless spinoffs.

this this this this this

The biggest letdown for me was the story and how it completely misses the rise of Outer Heaven considering that this game took place during that same exact time period. the fact that such an important series of events is not covered in this game completely deflated my like for this game.

---

If Chapter 51 was completed, and we got all the cutscenes we got after Mission 46 and then Act 3 started and you're playing as BB and you go through some missions and cutscenes forming Outer Heaven, then this would have been my GOTY. As it stands, it's just a game that was kinda fun to play with a disposable story.

Not unless Chater 51 included at least half a dozen well designed boss fights including the final MG fight!

I have plenty of grievances against the game such as how static the open world was (as in nothing ever happens unless it's scripted or player initiates it) or the lack of cutscenes/story but I could have overlooked most of it if the game at least had some memorable boss battles.

VARIA

Loved MGSV.

I can understand the criticisms of minimal story (if you ignore the tapes) and the complete gameplay departure from previous entries in the MGS series, but to me it is precisely these changes that are its strength.

Top Bottom