• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Chapter 51 was completed, would MGS5 be your GOTY?

SomTervo

Seems like a lot of the new/younger MGS players appreciate MGS5 more than the older fans who grew up on the game and followed it in it's entirety since the very beginning or from earlier games. .

Not sure if this is true, mate. Lots of long-time MGS fans love MGSV - myself included - plenty ITT and in the OT and all over the shop.

Equally, lots of long-time fans dislike MGSV for the very reasons you mention.

Kindekuma

Banned
I consider MGSV to be my GOTY already, but the inclusion of Mission 51 would've definitely helped a bit with fixing the story. Chapter 3 "Peace" as a whole I believe it to initiate when Nuclear Disarmament is completed.

I'm disappointed that Chapter 2 missions were largely just reused, which is just a shame. Not to say I didn't like the Total Stealth and Subsistence missions weren't cool, but the world is so large we've could have had so much more variety. That's what bums me out the most about the game, in reality.

I mean a camera was shown off in the MGO3 announcement trailer, and if that was kept in game we could have had so much more variety in missions. Getting recon of a transported prisoner/weapon/commander/animal, taking evidence of an assassination, etc. The Ghost Photography and Secret Photo ops in Peace Walker were a lot of fun, definitely could have seen that in MGSV.

Back on topic, Mission 51 has an amazing premise and execution, and a real shame that Konami had to rush the game out when KJPro wasn't done.

Nope. I didn't like the story nor repetitive missions in Chapter 2. I also disliked most of the characters aside from Quiet, and yes I actually liked her character despite what she was or wasn't wearing or that stupid "rain" cutscene.

Gameplay was ace though.

this this this this this

The biggest letdown for me was the story and how it completely misses the rise of Outer Heaven considering that this game took place during that same exact time period. the fact that such an important series of events is not covered in this game completely deflated my like for this game.

---

If Chapter 51 was completed, and we got all the cutscenes we got after Mission 46 and then Act 3 started and you're playing as BB and you go through some missions and cutscenes forming Outer Heaven, then this would have been my GOTY. As it stands, it's just a game that was kinda fun to play with a disposable story.

What really gets to me is that the game takes places in Africa (Where Outer Heaven eventually gets built) AND it has a pretty well developped base building system... I mean, how hard would it have been to have Big Boss build Outer Heaven instead of building another olirig base in the ocean... They already have africa done, they just need to place the bases on a ground tileset instead of placing them on oil platforms and we would have had Outer Heaven. I guess kojima wanted to sell us a MG remake down the road and he didn't want us to see what Outer Heaven look like beforehand or something, but it's an opportunity that will never happen now, he's gone from Konami and we'll never get the missing chapter.

I've been secretly hoping that modders will eventually disconstruct MGSV and make a mod that changes Mother Base into Outer Heaven Proper.

Nope. The game has a good deal of problems in my opinion. Ground Zeroes was an amazing experience, and got me so excited for MGS 5, which let me down big time in the end. Such a bummer. MGS 5 has its moments, and shining qualities though.

Blader

MGSV would be my GOTY, but that's probably because it and Arkham Knight were the only 2015 releases I actually played, much less finished. :lol

That said, I did really like MGSV (and AK too), didn't really have many problems with the gameplay save for the structure of Chapter 2, and -- after watching the video -- don't think Chapter 51 would've had any significant impact on the plot.

This. If you actually watch the Youtube of that mission, it ends on a cliff-hanger. The game was clearly not finished.

The resolution of that cliffanger is metal gear solid 1 . That mission explain everything possible in that timeframe about eli & mantis. The rest we already know

Blader

Dude. You literally repeat more missions than play new ones in Chapter 2. I don't give a shit if they are under tougher conditions like "stealth only"

The pacing and mission structure in chapter 2 is annoying, but you don't actually need to play the repeat missions to advance the story. I only did one of those and it was just I had an easy way of doing it.

spuckthew

I actually just started playing yesterday. Having never played a previous game in the franchise, I hope the 'messy' story people are complaining about won't distract me too much. I found the opening segments extremely engaging and the gameplay is superb (although I had no idea MGS featured weird fantasy shit).

Servbot24

Banned
I actually just started playing yesterday. Having never played a previous game in the franchise, I hope the 'messy' story people are complaining about won't distract me too much. I found the opening segments extremely engaging and the gameplay is superb (although I had no idea MGS featured weird fantasy shit).
MGSV is actually relatively light on the fantasy aspect compared to the other games.

Also, I think you'll be fine with the story, more or less. You'll miss some references, but most of the complaints come from people with understanding of the context of the MGS universe. I'd even say MGSV has the most straight-forward story out of any numbered entry (though I kind of forget 1).

Dude. You literally repeat more missions than play new ones in Chapter 2. I don't give a shit if they are under tougher conditions like "stealth only"

That shit was repetitive.
They were optional and fun. In other words if you didn't find them fun then don't play them. They aren't even required.

Nottle

It probably already is, I'm fine with what's there, that said a little bit of arrangement would probably give the ending a bit more punch. The way you replay the prologue is lame.

Nameless

First off I thought the story was serviceable as is and MGSV is my #2 game of the year--imo it's a gameplay masterpiece. But yeah, that rumored content-complete version with a full third chapter, return to Camp Omega, and a third land mass might have been too much for even Bloodborne to withstand.

Tabris

I always think it's funny when people say MGS5 is lacking in story content.

You put a codec window around cassette tapes, play them during missions, remove the open world gameplay that spaces out the missions for people - and I guarantee you it has as much story content, if not more then other games in the MGS series.

Kojima just made the codecs optional, and the main story suffers from open world pacing (it's a bit why I'm getting tired of open world games as the pacing is never good with them).

The issue is it's just an incomplete story is all, but it's definitely a long story in terms of cutscene time / "codec" time.

BBboy20

I always think it's funny when people say MGS5 is lacking in story content.

You put a codec window around cassette tapes, play them during missions, remove the open world gameplay that spaces out the missions for people - and I guarantee you it has as much story content, if not more then other games in the MGS series.

Kojima just made the codecs optional, and the main story suffers from open world pacing (it's a bit why I'm getting tired of open world games as the pacing is never good with them).

The issue is it's just an incomplete story is all, but it's definitely a long story in terms of cutscene time / "codec" time.
"Codecs" were also optional. Having the L1 button basically spout out the same shit was the first indication that they ran out of money and time because using it as a quick hint guide were only here and there. PW made sense because it was a handheld game and a good idea to be used if you need quick hints to help you at a situation without going into another menu...it really doesn't help though that instead of just seeking out extensive information, you have to just keep beating missions until you unlock exposition based on the the game's choosing. Hell, having the option of having a real-time conversation WHILE stealthing would be amusing, cool, and meta of a wink in how exposition previously work. Instead, it seems like an convenient way to satisfy naysayers who didn't like the previous cut-scenes while not putting into the effort of making that L1 button a worthwhile thing to do.

KORNdoggy

no. it's full of too much menial shite to be awarded that. if it was MGS's gameplay in a more consistent and well thought out game. then probably, yes. although bloodborne, witcher 3, soma, and talos principle are pretty hard to beat in my view

Top Bottom