• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Short RPGs

Finishing an RPG can be a pretty time consuming endeavour however...

5985_front.jpg
I recently finished a playthrough of Panzer Dragoon Saga clocking in at around 10 hours in total. The game spans 4 discs which are packed to the brim with content, it's fully voiced and there's a plethora of cut scenes and environments. It's a tremendous game that everyone should play if they get the chance.

Another example is Mega Man Legends:
Whether this is actually an RPG is up for debate, it's more Zelda esque in my opinion, but my recent playthrough clocked in at just under 6 hours. In that time you somehow manage to get pretty attached to this fairly large island and I felt satisfied with the content and lack of padding.

What's great about short RPGs is they trim the fat and just offer the core experience. I feel the two examples I chose are as good as they can be and stretching them out to be 40 hours long would only hinder the games. So what short RPGs can you think of GAF and do they feel lacking or are they better for it?

Chrono Trigger is 20-30 hours. Short, sweet, and infinitely replayable. It's great for both newcomers and experienced vets.

Longer than some of the examples above but by Square standards it's pretty quick and easy to plow through.

Justinh

I didn't know Panzer Dragoon Saga was short. I still want it though.

From what I understand The Last Story is short and sweet. I haven't beaten it yet, I think I got a little more than halfway and got distracted by something else. I plan on going back someday but I'd probably have to start all over.

TheMoon

The Last Story lands usually in the 20-30h mark and also happens to be excellent.

Terranigma is also comfortably short at roughly 20h.

Rymuth

Rhapsody_Box_Art.jpg

Game is really short but the cast VA and the music makes it so memorable.

What's great about this is that the battles are a cakewalk. No need for grinding.

Main Story average completion times for our games according to HowLongToBeat.com:

Breath of Death VII - 5 hrs
Cthulhu Saves the World - 7.5 hrs
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 - 8 hrs
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 - 9 hrs

It's fairly difficult but Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is only about 20 hours long and much less on replays (in order to get the best D-Ratio, you need to beat the game in under 8 hours on NG+).

Lothar

Banned
Suikoden 1. It's the perfect length at 15 hours. It never wastes your time, so it never gets boring.

Felt like Suikoden 2 just took what Suikoden 1 did and dragged it out to 30 hours.

random25

Megaman Legends 1 and 2 are both short and fun. MML1 can be finished in less than 2 hours while MML2 can be done in about 7 hours or less in average.

The World Ends With You can be pretty short too since the difficulty cap can be adjusted.

what on earth is PDS.

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Parasite Eve 1 is a relatively brisk RPG. It's not absurdly long, but not disappointingly short and knows exactly when to call it quits. Good thing too, since it's postgame is built around New Game+ replays.

Azzurri

The older I get the shorter I like my games.

15-20ish hrs I feel is the best.

I'm playing Witcher 3 and I know it's about 40 or so for main story, but it will probably be my longest game this year.

I recently beat Phantasy Star 4 which I remember being a 30+ hour game and it only took me 10, crazy to think about really.

Isn't Jade Empire supposed to be fairly short? I got it for free when Origin was giving it away last month but haven't played much yet. Just heard that it's not a long game.

WITHE1982

The Ys chronicles (1 & 2) are very short lite RPGS.

1 can be completed in around 6-10 hours and the second in around 15-20.

Available on Steam or PSN and even playable on the Vita. Which is how I preferred to complete them while commuting.

Added bonus is the set is only around €5 -€10

Ys Oath in Felghana is short but sweet. Only takes around 10-12 hours on average. Probably one of the reasons I replay it so often.

Chrono Trigger is also rather short too. My last playthrough was only around 16 or so hours.

Ys Origin is 6 to 10 hours depending on how skilled you are. The Ys series as a whole is known for being rather short and snappy...the longest one I've played was Ys Seven at 30-ish hours. (Haven't played Celceta).

entremet

Basically Squaresoft SNES/SFC era.

Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu III, FFIV-VI.

Quintet games too--Illusion of Gaia, Skyblazer, Terraenigma.

Dude, takes eight hours just to get outta Midgar, lol. That's not short.

I don't consider FFVII a short RPG, but the reason the poster said PS4 was due to the speed up options. You can also disable encounters. The PC and mobile ports have the same options.

Chastten

Banned
Golden Sun can be done in 15-20 hours the first time around.

Paper Mario and Eternal Sonata can be done in about 20-25 hours the first time.

Everything else I played is probably quite a bit longer.

*edit*

South Park sounds about right as well. Don't know about my time but I finished it in 3 nights including most achievements.

Wingus

Undertale. 8 hours max.
It's cool because you can then start a new playthrough with a different focus on how you play (peace/chaos, etc).

Undetale is a perfect example of a short but very sweet RPG. Same with those mentioning the early Ys games and Chrono Trigger. Superb RPGs and great examples :)

I'll also add FF4 and 5 too; both should take between 20-25 hours each to reach the end.

Ixion

I've found that my favorite RPGs tend to be the more concise, streamlined offerings, like these:

Fable_II.jpg
MassEffect2_cover.PNG
Ffxboxart.jpg

FFX is still a pretty long game, but it's definitely shorter and more concise than most other FF games. All in all, I like games that are open and have depth, but without the padding.

Top Bottom