• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Short RPGs

Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
Ys III: Wanderer From Ys (SNES, TG, Gen, etc)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, Portrait of Ruin (DS/PS1)
Legend of Legacy (3DS)
Pandoras Tower (Wii)
Quest 64 (N64)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)

Lothar

Banned
Yeah Suikoden 2 is one of those sequels, like Baldur's Gate 2, that just improves on its predecessor in every way.

I'd say the music, the pacing, the war battles (they're all scripted and a big waste of time in 2), the difficulty, and the translation are better in the 1st Suikoden. My favorite part of the story of both games is the father and son on different sides of the war dynamic. I like that the villains are more down to earth than 2's villains. 1 made me care about more characters. It was more of a difficult choice deciding who to put in your party. Although admittedly, Nanami is by far the best character. I like that the core group of 1's cast are all older adults other than the silent protagonist. (Cleo, Pahn, Gremio, Flik, and Viktor are all 25+) That made the story feel more adult and really set it apart from other RPG and anime stories in a big way.

As much as I loved longer RPGs as a teeneager, I just don't have the time anymore for them.

This is a cool topic.

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV are two I return to a lot because of their length and portable ports.

iosef

Third page and only one mention of Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden?

BiI7lSC.jpg

Must-play, OP. Roller coaster ride, tons of variation, no wasted motion, costs you nothing.

Philia

shaq-laughing-press-conference-shaq-gifs.gif

Anyways, all Golden Sun games take 25 to 40 hours to beat. Yes, even Dark Dawn is pretty great if you play it now without the hefty expectations a sequel brings on release.

OP is trolling with that damn game. He knows we cannot possibly land a copy. No way in hell. :( :( :(

On topic, here's an obscure title no one knows about. Its pretty short rpg that it took me by surprise. Short and bittersweet.

Okage the Shadow King for PS1 had a lot of charm and weird appeal all over it. However I bet a lot of people got stuck at the bull boss battle. The game only is about 25 hours for 100% completion too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Suikoden II is pretty long. Took me 35-40 hours the first time. And if you try to collect all 108 stars it can take even longer.

But I must be really slow at RPGs. I know I like to take my time and explore everything, but damn:

Main Story average completion times for our games according to HowLongToBeat.com:

Breath of Death VII - 5 hrs
Cthulhu Saves the World - 7.5 hrs

Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 - 8 hrs
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 - 9 hrs

It's fairly difficult but Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is only about 20 hours long and much less on replays (in order to get the best D-Ratio, you need to beat the game in under 8 hours on NG+).
My Steam stats say:
Breath of Death VII - 8 hours
Cthulu Saves the World - 14 hours
(about 1 of those is probably me messing around in that NG+ "Cthulhu's Angels" thing for a bit, but still)
(Haven't played the PA games yet)

And I didn't grind or anything and rarely died. I did get lost in those massive maze-like dungeons a few times though. :p And....

Ys Oath in Felghana is short but sweet. Only takes around 10-12 hours on average. Probably one of the reasons I replay it so often.
I played Oath only once, on Normal, and Steam says I have 20 hours. Again, I didn't grind (maybe like, once, and not for very long, so remove 1 hour at the most).

Panzer Dragoon Saga took me about 18-20 hours the first time, IIRC.

WTF am I doing wrong?

Sure. But I don't like, go out of my way to grind or be slow so I wonder how apparently most people manage to clear these games in half the time I do. They must miss out on tons of stuff.

Nope. I don't recall missing much on my playthrough of Felghana except maybe a few extra raval ore given to you by NPCs in town. I got all the spell upgrade gems, items that you backtrack to get such as Roy's pendant, and even grinded towards the end for extra raval ore and gold for a few of those HP increasing potions. I don't think I rushed though while blindly ignoring side content.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ys games are generally short. From the ones I've played:

Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim

They're around 8-12 hours. The newer ones however:

Ys Seven
Ys: Memories of Celceta

Are around 20-25 hours.

BigDes

KOTOR
KOTOR II
Jade Empire

All three can be beaten with pretty much everything done in about 20 hours each.

We need more short rpgs. Super Mario RPG is 12-15 hours max and it is excellent. Chrono Trigger is 20 hours and is still regarded among the best of its kind.

I don't like to judge a game based on its length, but Shadowrun - Dragonfall and Hong Kong offer pretty intense experiences and by the time they're over, you're left craving for more. Both of these games can be finished within 15 hours and when I say finished, I mean you can 100% them without missing out on anything, even if you're playing them for the first time.

It's a tad bit disappointing that they're so underappreciated.

I don't like to judge a game based on its length, but Shadowrun - Dragonfall and Hong Kong offer pretty intense experiences and by the time they're over, you're left craving for more. Both of these games can be finished within 15 hours and when I say finished, I mean you can 100% them without missing out on anything, even if you're playing them for the first time.

It's a tad bit disappointing that they're so underappreciated.

Was gonna post this. Both games, hell even Dead Man's Switch, are great. They are short, and sweet. Dragonfall was also the best RPG released in 2014.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga clocked in at around 16 hours for me, and that was 100%.

It's a shame the sequels felt the need to keep stretching and padding their length.

Hatchtag

Banned
South Park: Stick of Truth. Not just beatable in about 15 hours, but easily, easily 100%able within about that time frame, assuming the game doesn't glitch up.

Like even really taking your time, there's no way it'd take you more than 20. Sadly it's one of the few RPGs I'm seeing listed that feels its length, though. It felt more like an episode of the show than a movie, if that makes sense.

Dr. Buni

Mega Man Legends is not a RPG and that really isn't up to debate. Same goes to Zelda.

Anyways, a fantastic and short RPG I finished last year was Child of Light. Such a charming game.
any RPG with a speed-up button (ie, emulators)
I've beat SMRPG, Earthbound, and a few other SNES RPGs in like ~6 hours
Those two games aren't really long to begin with, specially Super Mario RPG. But yeah, speed up button helps a ton, especially in games like FFIX and its slow battles.

HF2014

I laugh at someone i know when he bought Panzer Dragon Saga lke 10 years ago at around 200$. For god sake its worth 600$ today, holy smoking hell!

Are we counting Half Minute Hero as an RPG or not? Mechanically I'd say it is more of an action puzzle game even if it does have some RPG mechanics but yes it is fairly short. I spent 5 hours on it.

Now the sequel...that is a bit more bloated. Well if you buy the sequel on Steam you get the first game free.

Rhapsody_Box_Art.jpg

Game is really short but the cast VA and the music makes it so memorable.

What's great about this is that the battles are a cakewalk. No need for grinding.
I should point here it has to be the PS1 version. The DS version is still pointlessly easy in difficulty (though battle system is different) but the vocals are Japanese only (which NISA announced saying it was to including some extra scenarios...however, they didn't actually include due to "localisation issues").

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Neugier is an action RPG on the SFC (that has a fan translation) that can be beaten in an hour and a half... probably faster if you are a bit better at the platforming sections than I was. You even get graded at the end of the game based on how long you took, # of items collected, etc.

Weird game, it has some good ideas (an RPG made for speed run attacks is an interesting idea) and was the first game by Yoshiharu Gotanda of tri-Ace fame. But the music sucks and the shallow story/short length/lack of exploration (the game is divided into 6 stages) may turn off people.

Daingurse

The Witcher 2 is about 25-30 hours long, and a fantastic game. I actually liked it more than the Witcher 3! It had a much stronger narrative for me personally, loved the political stuff. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are also great for this. Magnificent games that don't wear out there welcome. You can beat Mass Effect 1 in like 15 hours, and the second game in a little under 20-25 hours.

Top Bottom