• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prices for brand new tech are always expensive, I don't know what people were expecting.

Hell, DVD players and blu ray players were both insane at launch - not sure why anyone expected anything different :/

It'll get cheaper as time goes by and demand goes up and more competition enters the space, just like all new entertainment tech. Consoles are the exception, usually, because they expect to make money back on software down the line.

Because its not that much to make. This is a for profit price. They arent chasing a userbase.

Falchion

Wow that's crazy. I know it's well worth the price to some people but for $600 I'll wait and see what the rest of the market does.

Looks like that other thread nailed it and people have no idea how much this shit would have cost. Price seems accurate, it's what I expected. But it's just a white page for me :(

People expecting VR to be this big thing right out of the gate are deluded.

ViviOggi

Store finally loaded for me

jf29GX9.png

VR is doomed

mrklaw

MrArseFace
$600 is a lot for a supposedly subsidised device with a basic camera for tracking. Vive could be really expensive - two lighthouses, two motion tracking controllers, camera in the headset, HTC more likely to want some profit margin than facebook do - could be $700-750 easily.

Also has me a little wary about PSVR. Even assuming Sony do a base model without camera or controller (for those PS4 owners that already have those), it could still easily be $399-499 as they also have to contend with the breakout box having additional processing (and therefore cost)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom