• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz: PSVR will have over 100 titles

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yep. This will be huge.

It will be expensive yes. But the experiences you can have are truly groundbreaking.

This is not just a generational leap, it's a paradigm shift. It's 2D to 3D.

That number doesn't make too much sense if you count games that count as "VR demoes" as games
Is there a planned port for you have to burn the rope ?

Roni

Gold Member
How are they tallying that 100? Is it 100 dedicated titles or the ones that use VR as a secondary gimmick still count?

Myafterhours

Neo Member
As much as I want this product to be cheap, the VR unit will come with more hardware than any other VR unit. Another graphic card or cpu is not going to be cheap. I can see it being more the OR.

Memory

Atleast someone is talking about the software for VR. I fully expect Sony to have some A-AAA titles unavailable anywhere else. The last thing I want is a fancy VR unit with shovelware and low budget games.

Give me a good price and I'm all in on PSVR.

$299. Do it Sony.

019_1qhsva.gif

cheezcake

As much as I want this product to be cheap, the VR unit will come with more hardware than any other VR unit. Another graphic card is not going to be cheap. I can see it being more the OR.

Huh? Should be quite a bit cheaper than both OR and Vive. Lower specs, plus being sold at cost (as opposed to Vive which presumably won't be).

$299. Do it Sony.

$350 minimum, no chance for $299. $399 more realistic.

I've been very impressed with everything I've tried with PSVR, even titles I wouldn't normally look to pick up (e.g. Driveclub VR). Having a plentiful, diverse lineup within its launch window will do wonders for it, I'm sure. I kind of hope they pack in a number of those experiences that have been shown as tech demos like The Kitchen, etc.. I'm assuming Playroom VR will be included as well.

How are they tallying that 100? Is it 100 dedicated titles or the ones that use VR as a secondary gimmick still count?

Probably any way the math makes sense and still allows it to be true.

Yep. This will be huge.

It will be expensive yes. But the experiences you can have are truly groundbreaking.

This is not just a generational leap, it's a paradigm shift. It's 2D to 3D.

I disagree. VR is way too invasive, and people are not really obsessed with immersion as the diminishing 3D market has shown. It will be a great option for enthusiasts and I hope all game developers insert in their games a VR option, though.

coughlanio

Huh? Should be quite a bit cheaper than both OR and Vive. Lower specs, plus being sold at cost (as opposed to Vive which presumably won't be).

$350 minimum, no chance for $299. $399 more realistic.

I think $350 is their cut off point for the mainstream. Paying more for a peripheral than the console itself will be a point of contention for a lot of people. It also positions them to have a $599 bundle with the PS4, at the same price as the Oculus alone.

Caayn

I dunno.

That little black box that goes along with the headset, plus the camera, will likely push the price to $399, at the minimum.
Is the camera required for the PSVR to work as a VR display with only head movement? I don't care about being able to walk around as I simply don't have the room for it, same reason that Kinect kinda disappointed me personally.

GHG

VR is this generations PS Move/Kinect.

I just hope they don't put too many resources into it.

DieH@rd

Banned
GAF's list of currently announced PSVR titles
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044658

There is a lot of good content there, with [IMO] the biggest exclusive heavy hitter there being obviously Gran Turismo Sport. PSVR seems to have great support and already pre-built ecosystem of rendering hardware [PS4] and accessories [Camera and Moves], all that remains for us it to get good price and release date.

VR is this generations PS Move/Kinect.

I just hope they don't put too many resources into it.

Sony directly making/publishing only five games for VR, with four of them being smaller projects [London Heist, Rush of Blood, RIGS and The Modern Zombie Taxi Co.], while one is a flat TV game that has optional VR support [Gran Turismo Sport]. They are not throwing everything they have on VR. Much of the support will come from 3rd party devs with both multiplatform and exclusive titles [pschonauts, ace combat 7, headmaster, syperhypercube, 100ft robot golf and many others].

The PSX demo really killed the hype for me. Not that I've ever been excited for a peripheral that will likely cost more than the PS4.

I hope we hear about the price/release date and games soon.

Now that Oculus made the first move, Sony can finalize their plans, especially the price. Hope they won't change it from a hypothetical 299-349$ price range for the naked device to 399-499$ because now they can, it'll still look like a bargain next to the Rift. (Vive will be even more expensive than Rift)

I need to know the price, Kaz!!1

I disagree. VR is way too invasive, and people are not really obsessed with immersion as the diminishing 3D market has shown. It will be a great option for enthusiasts and I hope all game developers insert in their games a VR option, though.

Anecdotal, but everyone I know that hardly play games regularly (besides stuff on mobile), that have tried the Rift or PSVR, are completely sold on the tech and very, very excited for it. A couple friends that attended PSX last month that didn't even have a PS4 but were interested in going to a "video game con" locally were so sold on PSVR that they purchased a PS4 the next day.

3D was always a gimmick because immersion was presented as a passive experience. The kind of immersion or presence that VR is touting is interactive. The market will decide eventually if it's another gimmick or not but the experiences are night and day.

The PSX demo really killed the hype for me. Not that I've ever been excited for a peripheral that will likely cost more than the PS4.

The live demo during the keynote? If so yeah... that was pretty awful lol

Vena

The fact that no comments were made on price but instead focused on games, makes me think the price is going to be (very) high even here. Or BBC had the interview before the price announcement.

Atleast someone is talking about the software for VR. I fully expect Sony to have some A-AAA titles unavailable anywhere else. The last thing I want is a fancy VR unit with shovelware and low budget games.

Give me a good price and I'm all in on PSVR.

Same.

cheezcake

I think $350 is their cut off point for the mainstream. Paying more for a peripheral than the console itself will be a point of contention for a lot of people. It also positions them to have a $599 bundle with the PS4, at the same price as the Oculus alone.

I strongly believe Sony, Oculus and HTC have absolutely no interest in positioning their 1st gen VR products for the mainstream. PSVR and Rift are also effectively not even in competition so I doubt Sony is considering losing even more money per unit just to offer a bundle deal at the same price as a Rift.

The fact that no comments were made on price but instead focused on games, makes me think the price is going to be (very) high even here. Or BBC had the interview before the price announcement.

It means nothing. Regardless if the price is high or low now they will wait until reveal time just like they did with used games, even moreso if it's "low".

UrbanRats

Well, since the Rift is now off the table for me, if they can price it at or below 499€, i'll probably go with it.

The thing is, i was willing to pay the Oculus more than i'd pay a PSVR, simply because i have a gaming PC, and because PC is an open platform, which means you can do a lot more with the hardware than i can having to go through a PS4.

Ferrio

Banned
This is what I want to hear. I don't care about the price, but tell me there's a lot of content coming. That's the only thing that's making me nervous about the rift.

The article did states that it will cost around the price of ps4 isnt it.

What article?

Kaz didn't comment on price, because the Journalist didn't ask anything about it. I guess the interview took place before the Rift pre-order, maybe right after Sony press conf??

Ovek

7Member7
I'm betting $350 at most.

Your setting your self up for disappointment, think $599 so when the price is finally revealed at a lower price its a nice surprise.

What article?

Kaz didn't comment on price, because the Journalist didn't ask anything about it. I guess the interview took place before the Rift pre-order, maybe right after Sony press conf??

Most likely, I bet Kaz isn't even in Vegas now.

This is what I want to hear. I don't care about the price, but tell me there's a lot of content coming. That's the only thing that's making me nervous about the rift.

I've no doubt that any PC VR solution's library-- eventually-- will farrrrr outstrip that of a closed platform like PSVR. I think all will offer experiences from developers that are uniquely tailored to each platform's strengths. It's going to be awesome.

How will VR work with Twitch, Ustream and YouTube? will you be able to live stream what you are actually seeing threw the headset to viewers and interact with them? Also will there be specific Netflx and other movie viewer content specifically for VR?

Top Bottom