• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz: PSVR will have over 100 titles

MUnited83

For you.
This is what I want to hear. I don't care about the price, but tell me there's a lot of content coming. That's the only thing that's making me nervous about the rift.

There's no worries about that though. There's already a crapload of VR and VR compatible games on PC and even more on the pipeline.

cheezcake

I'm betting $350 at most.

I'd be pretty surprised at $350, I absolutely believe it will not go below that mark. $399 seems doable and likely though I wouldn't be surprised with $450, $499 is also feasible but I'd be surprised at that too. Again don't think there's any chance it's over $499.

Bsigg12

How will VR work with Twitch, Ustream and YouTube? will you be able to live stream what you are actually seeing threw the headset to viewers and interact with them? Also will there be specific Netflx and other movie viewer content specifically for VR?

No idea about livestreaming but I'm already watching Netflix with my GearVR and movies like The Martian and Antman in 3D in the Oculus Cinema.

No idea about livestreaming but I'm already watching Netflix with my GearVR and movies like The Martian and Antman in 3D in the Oculus Cinema.
Thanks info, that sounds amazing and would be a huge selling point for me. I would much rather spend my money on VR for its 3D capabilities as well as having the option to play games then to buy a 3D TV.

Radec

How will VR work with Twitch, Ustream and YouTube? will you be able to live stream what you are actually seeing threw the headset to viewers and interact with them? Also will there be specific Netflx and other movie viewer content specifically for VR?

Probably 2D screen of what the streamer sees and their headshot for reactions.

I will definitely buy this if it's £399.

So I have a question for those that have tried PSVR... the "breaker box" (can't think of a better term), plugs into the PS4, and cables then run into the back of the VR head set yes?

So they dangle? And are you facing away from the PS4 to ensure the cables are behind you? Or does it come around the sides? That's the only negative for me... Also I used to get travel and motion sickness in real life, so I imagine this will mess me up a bit until I'm accustomed to it all.

DieH@rd

Banned

Twitch and Netflix already offer standalone VR apps for watching their content [user is placed inside a VR room with big HDTV in front of them], VRcinema apps exist for watching random content that user has on their local storage, but Vive also wants to offer something else - Google Glass-esque HUD inside VR space that can playback youtube video while the user is playing their game. Small YT window that hovers in the 3D space on the edge of user vision.

We need to wait and see what entertainment apps will arrive on PSVR in near future.

Ferrio

Banned
There's no worries about that though. There's already a crapload of VR and VR compatible games on PC and even more on the pipeline.

Right but what? They're selling the thing without actually telling us what we're getting or what to expect. I feel like there should of been a better announcement to show us why we need to spend this.

I can name a ton of VR games that sony has lined up since they've been pretty upfront about all their games. Besides eve, luckey's tale, and the stuff that existed in dk2 days I haven't seen anything really from them except that horrible rock band thing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is the thing i'm actually the most excited about.
These things live and die by their software. Seeing that list of games that are announced for Oculus just made me sad. There's barely anything out there that really seems worth the investment as of yet.

Let's hope Sony puts some development muscle into full-fledged VR games and lobby for 'VR-ready' status on a lot of third-party titles.

Plenty of YTers are streaming gameplay with the Rift currently and even though most (all?) of what we see has that kind of warped "lensed" look to it, the PSVR will ship with the ability to output to the TV (and therefore stream as well) what the player sees without any image distortion; I'm sure there will be a similar solution for Rift and Vive users. Also, given that some devs have made group games where the player sees something different that what is outputted to the screen, the possibility is there for viewer interaction if people can add to the experience via chat commands, etc..

It's a surprisingly cool way to watch things. Given the GearVR benefits heavily from being wireless (I usually watch things in bed), it could still work with these other headsets.

How much of a downgrade in image quality would you rate this, compared to a FullHD TV screen? Would like to do the same with PSVR, but I somehow doubt I'd enjoy it that much, when you lose too much quality.

Kysen

They need a killer title in the box to push units. A VR GT sport copy in every box would be a start. Tech demos and party games aren't going to cut it.

Shin

Banned
Already pre-ordered Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 LE :3
Have to wait and see how much the HMD will cost and when it will launch.

Here's hoping Summer Lesson is an actual game (haven't followed it recently).
Those 2 alone would justify my purchase :p

DieH@rd

Banned
So I have a question for those that have tried PSVR... the "breaker box" (can't think of a better term), plugs into the PS4, and cables then run into the back of the VR head set yes?

So they dangle? And are you facing away from the PS4 to ensure the cables are behind you? Or does it come around the sides? That's the only negative for me... Also I used to get travel and motion sickness in real life, so I imagine this will mess me up a bit until I'm accustomed to it all.

This is the old design, but concept is the same
http://ap.ign.com/sm/ign_ap/screens...ct-morpheus-vr-headset-for-ps4-hands_w3nz.jpg

Code:
						HDTV
						^
						hdmi cord
						^
PS4 HDMI 			>	
PU power 			> 	Processing Unit    	>  	single cord 	>  PSVR
[possibly a single USB ]	>

Camera is plugged into PS4. Console itself is calculating positions of dots.

You place PU beside PS4 or HDTV, and just one cord is coming "your way". The rest of them can be hidden out of view.

Only thing im affraid of is getting so sucked into the VR world that my wife will start to hate me because it will have my full undivided attention. You can become so immeresed in games if you actually feel like you are in the game. I can see a new EA Sports VR ad saying EA sports i'm in the game, after you do some amazing running play in VR first person view juking defenders and breaking tackles. Madden 17 or 18, EA take notes.

SentryDown

Funny how Sony took the Nintendo way this time, focusing on games and accessible pricing instead of going for the high-end tech.

I will not pay any more than £200. Quite unrealistic but with NX possibly launching this year my money is with that. Will be cool to see if any VR titles are actually good games. Rez looks good but Rez is always good.

driver116

VR is this generations PS Move/Kinect.

I just hope they don't put too many resources into it.

I get where you're coming from. But I don't think it will be. Too many notable companies getting in on it and the feedback from users is simply on a different level in comparison. The application of VR is far more than just games too.

mclem

I assume there's an "at launch" or similar that's missing there, because over lifetime, that's not great.

I assume there's an "at launch" or similar that's missing there, because over lifetime, that's not great.

Why in Kaz's name would he know how many titles PSVR will have during its lifetime?

I would think "in development" is more probable.

Bsigg12

How much of a downgrade in image quality would you rate this, compared to a FullHD TV screen? Would like to do the same with PSVR, but I somehow doubt I'd enjoy it that much, when you lose too much quality.

I would say its close to a 720p TV. Funny enough, the GearVR has the highest resolution but because it's just a cell phone OLED and not the custom LCD (PSVR) or custom OLEDs (Rift and Vive) being used in the other displays you can notice some screen door effect on whites and bright colors. I expect the optics and custom displays of the dedicated headsets to handle the SDE pretty damn well, but they'll still have a noticeable reduction of resolution on things like Netflix or cinema apps.

Mung

For me anyway, having a killer app is more important than the number of titles. In Europe, and for me, GT VR could be that killer app.

P44

I will definitely buy this if it's £399.

oh my god your avatar why are you doing this

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
if this thing is more than 50 cents i will be severely disappointed.

DO IT SONY, DO IT. 50 CENTS

mclem

Why in Kaz's name would he know how many titles PSVR will have during its lifetime?

I would think "in development" is more probable.

Just indicating how the BBC's report headline could probably be better-phrased (the text of the report does go on to say '100 or more in development')

In production.

edit - damn your tag, it always pushes me to waste time with it :D

Lol, best tag ever?

Just indicating how the BBC's report headline could probably be better-phrased (the text of the report does go on to say '100 or more in development')

Ah, ok then.

I would say its close to a 720p TV. Funny enough, the GearVR has the highest resolution but because it's just a cell phone OLED and not the custom LCD (PSVR) or custom OLEDs (Rift and Vive) being used in the other displays you can notice some screen door effect on whites and bright colors. I expect the optics and custom displays of the dedicated headsets to handle the SDE pretty damn well, but they'll still have a noticeable reduction of resolution on things like Netflix or cinema apps.

Doesn't sound too bad, looking forward to try it.
Kaz please just make it affordable, I kept the camera from the launch PS4 set to be ready for it.

Um
You have no idea how VR work , do you.

Well...

Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida recently stated that Sony will not be selling Playstation VR at a profit when it releases in 2016. A lot of fans were frightened when Yoshida said a few weeks ago that PS VR would be “priced like a new gaming system”, leading many to believe it could be $350-$400.

His latest comments indicate that Sony is willing to lose a little bit of money on each unit potentially:

"We are bringing a console mentality and also making developers test it fully before using their content. We tend to price hardware not to make money from it but to get as many install base so that content can be sold. This is the same kind of thinking in the way we are approaching PlayStation VR."

Are some people really not able to guess what is meant by 100 titles? Of course it means in development, there is no physical way to know the lifetime figure since the damn thing isnt even out yet and if it was launch they would have said that.

I swear, its times like these that remind me how there can be so many people who cant read between the lines or extrapolate from something to get an answer.

Top Bottom