• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-ps3- interview with ceo of scee

bud

stole this from phantast in the other thread.

link to the interview (german): http://www.golem.de/0608/47437.html

- They research markets in the different eu countries to find the best 60GB/20GB ratio. GB will have the biggest proportion of 60GBs, then France and Germany with a slightly bigger amount of 60GBs. Southern countries like Italy, Spain and Greece will have more 20GB versions.

- Only 60Gb at launch (in germany at least). 20GB might be not available from day one, but it'll come out till Christmas for sure.

- The installed HDD is made by Seagate (he's not sure though). You'll be able to upgrade it with a standard HDD. Sony will not release its own HDDs.

- The motion sensing sw tools have been added to the devkit sw package about 2-3 weeks ago.

- The production hasn't started yet, but they have all the components necessary so they just wait for a go (in south of China and near Tokyo).

- Different colors (they ask about silver explicitly) will be launched later, supposedly Q1 07.

- Confronted with: "ps3 looks like cheap plastic". The ps3 will have a polyester coating. A special polishing liquid will be available to prevent scratches

- Confronted with: "but it's black so what about the problem with fingerprints -> psp".
"I haven't touched it yet. We use gloves. We are said to use gloves."
PR-Chef Nick Staples jumps in: the ps3 will not be caried around and overly touched normaly. They used gloves to show it around, hence no fingerprints, but therefore white fluff (from the glove).

- The ps3 will boost hdtv market penetration. All devisions of sony promote the ps3: Sony Pictures (Bluray), Sony Electronics (HDTVs) and we [SCE] make sure it all works out. There will be 'PlayStation Places' in capital cities all over the world where you can experience those 3 devision coming together (PS3, HD and Bluray).

- No plans for a HD-DVD drive addon (orly?!) :)lol )

- Confronted with the weekly sales numbers of 360 (18.000) vs ps2 (100.000) in the eu and asked about how the ps2 will be positioned during the ps3 launch; "Supposedly the ps3 will appeal to the hardcore gamer and only later broaden its demographic?"
-> "Yes. The ppl who who will buy the ps3 have a ps2 or maybe even a 360, but in the course of 1-2 years the ps2 and ps3 markets will stay separated."

- 45% of their business is now outside the eu (e.g. russia, middle east).

- There is way more preorders compared to ps2. They take preorders in Fr, Ger and UK.

They also spoke to Guido Alt, a spokesperson of Sony Germany:

- He doubts that MS has sold 6 million 360s already and also doubts that they'll sell 10 Million before 2007, even with a price drop and Gears of War coming.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bud said:
The installed HDD is made by Seagate (he's not sure though).

I believe that's true, I think seagate has said they're supplying for PS3.

Bud said:
Confronted with the weekly sales numbers of 360 (18.000) vs ps2 (100.000) in the eu

These are probably rough approximates from the last while, but taken as is, that'd mean PS2 is selling better in the EU now than the US. And perhaps more surprisingly, it might indicate that the last quarter's 360 shipments to the EU actually is reflective of current sales there rather than a once-off correction, which ain't good news for MS. I guess we'll find out with MS's next results.

Tieno

Way cool that you can upgrade the ps3 hdd yourself. Really like that.
Don't like the idea of console 'wax', wtf? Just make it so I don't need that!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tieno said:
Way cool that you can upgrade the ps3 hdd yourself. Really like that.
Don't like the idea of console 'wax', wtf? Just make it so I don't need that!

What, matte non-shiny plastic? No thank you!

A polished PS3 is a happy PS3. If it's not it will phone home, and Sony will remotely disable your PS3 via Blu-ray DRM. Believe.

Wollan

It's pretty apparant that they want to stage the PS3 as a higher quality product(hence features, hence price..etc) and the wax is an element of that.

bud

iapetus said:
Do we have to wear official Sony-branded gloves to touch it?
i'll be using these when i get one.

safe550.jpg

Ponn

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
...except in the US *grumble grumble*

Don't grumble too much. All those people that preordered in EU are going to be pissed when they find out EU only gets 200,000 consoles come november or maybe even pushed to 2007 launch. Poor Europe.

Ponn

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
you're crazy.

Am I?

I meant 2007 launch for Europe by the way. If by chance they aren't going to meet 2 million numbers I can for sure seeing them give Europe the shaft on that one to save Japan and NA.

OniShiro

Banned
a special polishing liquid will be available to prevent scratches

You:Hey Sony, your polishing liquid got into the bluray and the ports, and now nothing works anymore...
Sony:Sorry, warrant doesn't cover user mistakes.

OniShiro said:
You:Hey Sony, your polishing liquid got into the bluray and the ports, and now nothing works anymore...

OniShiro
Trolls left until permaban: 1
(Today, 06:41 AM)
Reply | Quote

OniShiro

Banned
Since when telling the truth is trolling? It will happen to some, there's people out there who will screw it up, use too much liquid or just accidentally spill it over their ps3.

Bud said:
- They research markets in the different eu countries to find the best 60GB/20GB ratio. GB will have the biggest proportion of 60GBs, then France and Germany with a slightly bigger amount of 60GBs. Southern countries like Italy, Spain and Greece will have more 20GB versions.

Bad decision. Here in Spain I predict people will pass on the 20GB version and buy the 60GB one instead. That's what happened with the X360 and to be honest, it's the best SKU in terms of value/price.

Yoboman

Pretty informative, I liked to hear that it's targeted at hardcore audience and PS2's model is being kept seperate. King of obvious but it's good to hear it from the horses mouth with some of the mistakes Sony has been making.

OniShiro said:
Since when telling the truth is trolling? It will happen to some, there's people out there who will screw it up, use too much liquid or just accidentally spill it over their ps3.
budspencer6jj.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
ps2 @ 149/129€ Vs X360@ 399

It's still a lot lower relative to the US than one might hope for given the relative sizes of the markets. I'm not sure how it compares to the original Xbox's performance in europe, but they'd want to be doing much better than that anyway.

If the figures are accurate and forming a trend, I don't think Japan will be alone in seeing a pricecut soon.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
OniShiro said:

Dumbest troll of the month everyone.

*claps*

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ichigo kurosaki said:
Bad decision. Here in Spain I predict people will pass on the 20GB version and buy the 60GB one instead. That's what happened with the X360 and to be honest, it's the best SKU in terms of value/price.
People will buy whatever you throw at them as long as it plays PS3 games. It is as simple as that.

Funky Papa said:
People will buy whatever you throw at them as long as it plays PS3 games. It is as simple as that.

Hell yeah if the 20gig version is the only one available. I meant that if they can choose, most will go for the premium version. If they're willing to pay €500 for the system they're most likely hardcore gamers which probably wouldn't mind shelling out the extra €100 for the better version.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bud said:
stole this from phantast in the other thread.

link to the interview (german): http://www.golem.de/0608/47437.html

Good thing I pre-ordered and paid for the 60 GB model quite in advance: even if there are not many 60 GB version consoles I should be high up on the list.

Zaptruder

Banned
What's most interesting is that it'll be available in other colors eventually.

That means the white PS3 is likely... which will make it an intresting whinefest at GAF (or maybe not so intresting) when it does happen.

knitoe

Being able to change HDD with standard one is awesome. Once I pickup an PS3, I'll need to drop a 300GB asap.

The thing that worries me is I thought Sony was already making / stockpiling 250,000ish system per month to get ready for launch. Now, it hasn't even started yet?

bud said:
- Confronted with the weekly sales numbers of 360 (18.000) vs ps2 (100.000) in the eu and asked about how the ps2 will be positioned during the ps3 launch; "Supposedly the ps3 will appeal to the hardcore gamer and only later broaden its demographic?"
-> "Yes. The ppl who who will buy the ps3 have a ps2 or maybe even a 360, but in the course of 1-2 years the ps2 and ps3 markets will stay separated."

- 45% of their business is now outside the eu (e.g. russia, middle east).

- There is way more preorders compared to ps2. They take preorders in Fr, Ger and UK.

These 3 are startling to me.

1) 360 is dead in Europe if those numbers are real. They should have dropped the price of the premium system as well.

2) Given that we could only account for somewhat over 30M by the western european markets (the eu), I think that the 40M number can be significantly approached by eastern regions based on their distribution of sales (45% of SCEE is outside eu)

3) More preorders even @ $599 (whatever the euro price is, actually) is pretty astounding. I'm going to be pissed if I can't get a preorder here in the US because of EB/Gamestop's screwup with the 360 last year. I'm expecting that there will be crazy lines just to make the preorder.

RaijinFY

Confronted with the weekly sales numbers of 360 (18.000) vs ps2 (100.000)

If this true, the 360 numbers are really disappointing...

Well, I guess i'll wait a little before taking one. At least, one price drop because 600€ is really too much.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Panajev2001a said:
Good thing I pre-ordered and paid for the 60 GB model quite in advance: even if there are not many 60 GB version consoles I should be high up on the list.

I hate you.

Where did you pre-order it at?

Top Bottom