• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-ps3- interview with ceo of scee

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
knitoe said:
The thing that worries me is I thought Sony was already making / stockpiling 250,000ish system per month to get ready for launch. Now, it hasn't even started yet?

They are stockpiling all of the componets like Wifi, Blu-ray drives, CELL, and RSX chips.

ram

- Only 60Gb at launch (in germany at least). 20GB might be not available from day one, but it'll come out till Christmas for sure.

thats wrong, we were told, that at launch only the 60gb version will be aviable and that the 20gb version will launch (if ever) not for spring 2007 in europe.

S. L.

Xrenity said:
Isn't that a tad late?

Probably not as GAF ignores it :p
in the interview Reeves says the Sony first parties had it already in beta form, but now third parties have it (final version) in their SDKs too.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Xrenity said:
Isn't that a tad late?

Probably not as GAF ignores it :p

This isn't new news, we knew a bit back that the motion stuff was only recently added to the dev kits. It's being ignored because it's already been kicked to death.

S. L. said:
in the interview Reeves says the Sony first parties had it already in beta form, but now third parties have it (final version) in their SDKs too.
ugh, true. I totaly overlooked it, sry :/

Arsenal

gofreak said:
Are those figures based on lifetime-to-date sales or just 06 sales?

I don't think they can be just 06 sales - 15% for the original xbox? 17% for GC?

But then the numbers for the 360 don't look right for Ltd.

Arsenal

Bud said:
- The installed HDD is made by Seagate (he's not sure though). You'll be able to upgrade it with a standard HDD. Sony will not release its own HDDs.

I think the HDD is an interesting desgin difference versus the 360. Its obviously nice that you can use any HDD in the PS3, and they will be a lot cheaper to expand. That adds sompe complexity to the OS in terms of driver support, as well as requiring the user to crack the case to install a new HDD (right?). Many of us may not have a problem putting in a new HDD, but that kind of upgrade is practically un-heard of in the CE world.

The 360's drive is basically portable and can easily be detached and taken to a friends house - I think they designed it to work more like a 20GB(13GB) memory card than a traditional computer HDD, but I'm not sure how much value there is in that since you can only have one HDD hooked up at a time. When an upgrade does come though, it won't be an issue for your average Joe to snap in the new one.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Arsenal said:
That adds sompe complexity to the OS in terms of driver support, as well as requiring the user to crack the case to install a new HDD (right?). Many of us may not have a problem putting in a new HDD, but that kind of upgrade is practically un-heard of in the CE world.
There is a hard drive slot.

Speaking of sales,ADESE has provided us data from Spain

Hardware Sales (LTD) Spain

Playstation 2 4000000

G B A 2100000

Nintendo DS 750000

PSP 500000

Gamecube 275000

Xbox 275000

Xbox 360 70000

ADESE means (Asociación Española de Distribuidores y Editores de Software de Entretenimiento)

Drek

Arsenal said:
I think the HDD is an interesting desgin difference versus the 360. Its obviously nice that you can use any HDD in the PS3, and they will be a lot cheaper to expand. That adds sompe complexity to the OS in terms of driver support, as well as requiring the user to crack the case to install a new HDD (right?). Many of us may not have a problem putting in a new HDD, but that kind of upgrade is practically un-heard of in the CE world.
Um, Sony did the same thing with the PS2.

Arsenal said:
I don't think they can be just 06 sales - 15% for the original xbox? 17% for GC?

But then the numbers for the 360 don't look right for Ltd.

Those are 2006 sales. And the weekly PS2/360 numbers make for an interesting comparison to the US.

PS2 @100k/week = 400k month (far above the ~230 we're seeing in the US)
360 @ 18k/week = 72k month (~3x lower than the 360 numbers we're seeing in the US)

Mrbob

MS am shitbaked in Europe too? Failing in two of three big territories is not good.

Wow, those 360 numbers for Europe are pretty sad. 18K a week? MS needs to get price aggressive there and quickly. They need 5 years FIFA and Pro EVO exclusitivity at the moment.

I'm starting to see why Sony is so arrogant and bullish about PS3 predictions. X360 is doing decent in one territory (USA), very poor in another (Europe), and a complete failure in the 3rd (Japan). Wii isn't going head to head with the PS3, so Sony basically still has an iron grip on the 100 million + demographic that buys Playstation systems.

LOcKY

they need to start lowering the price imo, in the uk anyway we are getting taxed left right and centre that no one really can afford such a luxury. same problems for the ps3 as well.

if you have seen the house prices in the UK you would be saving every penny to get ontot he property ladder...

on a side note the labour government are proposing a tax on Rubbish!! how crazy is that!! we pay council tax and now they are thinking of taxing us again!! i gotta move away from the uK its TAX LAND!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Mrbob said:
MS am shitbaked in Europe too? Failing in two of three big territories is not good.

Wow, those 360 numbers for Europe are pretty sad. 18K a week? MS needs to get price aggressive there and quickly. They need 5 years FIFA and Pro EVO exclusitivity at the moment.

I'm starting to see why Sony is so arrogant and bullish about PS3 predictions. X360 is doing decent in one territory (USA), very poor in another (Europe), and a complete failure in the 3rd (Japan). Wii isn't going head to head with the PS3, so Sony basically still has an iron grip on the 100 million + demographic that buys Playstation systems.

I agree 100%

Decent (North America)

+

Life Support (Europe)

+

lol(Japan)

...........doesn't usually = market share leadership for a console, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

Top Bottom