• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If i LOVED The Witcher 3, should DA: Inquisition be my next RPG or i must skip it?

butman

I finished TW3 yesterday. And i loved it. My GOTY and GOTG (at the moment).
Seeing the offer of RPGs for PS4 it look like the most nearest one that could be like TW3 is DA:I. I figured out that it was 2014 GOTY for a lot of sites. But maybe it gain the title because 2014 was one of the worst years in gaming.

I wonder how it would have been if it had been released in 2015

NOTES:

- I already played Bloodborne.
- I have Divinity Original Sins: EE and and Dark Souls 2: SOTFS on the table.
- Never played DA:O or DA:II

What GAF say?

The Witcher 3 has really great quest design, I played DAI before TW3 and enjoyed it but having played The Witcher 3 I'm not so sure i'd feel as strongly going back...

Also you may benefit from reading up on the previous games? DAI is certainly enjoyable though

Blobbers

I'd say play Divinity as it has one of the funnest battle systems ever. Dragon Age Inquisition doesn't have funnest anything, doesn't excel at anything, and you might even hate after The Witcher 3 because The Witcher 3 does everything better. Seriously, you might just end up straight up loathing the game, the contrast in effort between CDPR and Bioware is that drastic.

Lingitiz

If you're really desperate for an RPG on PS4, go for it.

It really is a slog to get to the good parts in that game though. You'll go many hours without making much story progress, just grinding away in zones full of MMO-like filler. It has its moments worth seeing, but it's trapped in a really bloated game.

You should go back and play TW3 Hearts of Stone if you haven't yet.

You really shouldn't play Inquisition without having at least played the first game, but it's still a good game, especially since the GOTY edition came out not too long ago.

Daingurse

Skip it, play Divinity instead. Dragon Age ain't worth the time IMO. That's what I came away thinking after beatng W3, Inquisition just wasn't worth my time.

Smoolio

DA:I is not a Geralt simulator though, so i'm not sure you will be able to get the same type of experience.

Vastly preferred DA:I though, felt more like my story in a RP sense which trumps quest design for me.

Also the class progression, combat on nightmare in DA:I was completely different by the end in DA:I. In Witcher, its the same dodge>attack for the entire game, cept at the end you invincible with Quen abuse.

Do you like, need to play AAA games to get your RPGs? Because that's the only way I could recommend DAI.

Edit: Play divinity.

I love love loved The Witcher 3 and hate hate hated Inquisition. Divinity: Original Sin looks a lot more interesting to me.

RR0HNZ.gif

I agree with this man/woman.

Dragon Age is a good game. It shines at higher difficulties, which forces you to play strategically.

The quests are pretty boring though imo. The fact that the developers had to tell the community to "leave the hinterlands" just goes to show they messed up the pacing.

epmode

Inquisition looks pretty good but it's nowhere near The Witcher 3. Of the games you listed, I'd go with Divinity because it's goddamned awesome (although very different from TW3),

Play Origins first, part of the reason I enjoyed Inquisition was it delved much deeper in to the DA lore than the other titles and it felt like everything kinda came together.

If you already have Divinity and Dark Souls 2 though just play those and pick up Origins + Awakening on a sale.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has terrible quests compared to the Witcher 3 so you set your hopes up. That said, I enjoyed the game enough that I went to platinum it even though some quests were a chore.

Daingurse

Play Origins first, part of the reason I enjoyed Inquisition was it delved much deeper in to the DA lore than the other titles and it felt like everything kinda came together.

I'd just play Origins and leave it at that. I love that game, and that's what really pisses me off about Inquisition. All I wanted was another game in the vein of the original Origins, and Bioware let me down fucking twice. Really has soured this series for me.

Flare

Probably skip. There's not much to do in the areas present in DAI. They look beautiful, almost all have a secret area, but aside from that, there's not much to do. Quests lack depth and character and combat is repetitive and stale. The strategic camera is laughably bad.

If you haven't played DA:O and can get your hands on it, play that instead.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Inquisition is godawful. You know how in W3 there are tons of little things on the map, like treasure chests and monster nests and all that other good stuff? And you know how all of it is optional? In Inquisition it's not optional. You gain points by completing those things, and you need a certain number of points to do each story mission. It's a terrible mechanic that forces you to play the game in a way that you might not otherwise choose.

Plus the combat is crap and the story is middling.

DA: Inquisition is a great RPG with fun gameplay and the usual Bioware RPG elements.
However, going from The Witcher 3 to that, you'll notice the huge flaw in DA:I quests design. If you can stomach bad quests, you may enjoy the game.

I'd just play Origins and leave it at that. I love that game.

I enjoyed Inquisition well enough but Origins is better yeah. I see no reason to at least try Inquisition though, better combat than Witcher 3 at least. Companions are some of Bioware's best as well.

Outside of being western fantasy RPGs and Dragon Age borrowing the idea of Elves being persecuted/treated as second class citizens... not really.

I actually thought DAI was ok, but you really shouldn't hope that it will keep the same quality as Witcher 3.

Decent sidequests are non-existent in the maps, the grand majority are collectathons taken straight out of an MMORPG manual.

If you want to enjoy it, the best way to know is if you've enjoyed other recent Bioware outings. If you have, go for it. If not, keep away.

JayEH

Dragon Age Inquisition is fine but it has very weak combat (even compared to the witcher) and the quest design is awful. Just a bunch of MMO style fetch quests on a few big empty maps. Story was very meh to me. Nothing interesting happening and everything is very by the books. I would play Dragon Age Origins instead if you can.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
It's a Bioware title so keep that in mind if you play it.
I picked it up as my first system title last year and really enjoyed it. There's a lot of DLC out now for it now (also the GotY edition) to further the games reach. Having not played Origins or 2, I would recommend reading up on the main lore from the prior games if you can. You're basically hopping into Mass Effect levels of continuity here.

I would suggest visiting https://dragonagekeep.com/ before starting. There you can play an interactive video that runs you through the main story of the first 2 games and allows you make choices that will customize Inquisition's world's state without having to play through them.

Daingurse

I enjoyed Inquisition well enough but Origins is better yeah. I see no reason to at least try Inquisition though, better combat than Witcher 3 at least. Companions are some of Bioware's best as well.

Found the combat completely lacking in Inquisition, lacked any kind of tactile feedback. People talk bad about Witchet 3's combat, but I found it far better and more fun than my Templar Knight. Game had no real positives for me besides the environment graphics and character interactions. And said character interactions felt much weaker and less compelling than other Bioware games for me. But they were still Bioware characters, so I found a lot of enjoyment talking to them.

Ridesh

Banned
DAI is a good game, but in terms of sidequests is inexcusable, more comparable to Assassin's Creed than a game that has some of the best sidequests ever like W3.

theRizzle

I generally love Bioware games (even the newer ones... I actually didn't hate DA2) and I found DA:I to be the most soul-sucking, unfun game I have ever played in my life. I think I played just over 20 hours and I'm not really sure I enjoyed any of it. The only reason why I stuck with it was to try and eke some fun out of it but I eventually just had to tap out.

Ascenion

Personally I found DA:I to be a better RPG than Witcher 3. I felt more in the role of my own character but that's just me. On Nightmare DA:I challenged me in ways Witcher 3 never came close to from a gameplay standpoint, so I give Dragon Age the gameplay edge as well. I honestly consider Witcher 3 to be closer to a Zelda game/adventure game than an RPG. I think they are different enough to where what you thought of one shouldn't really affect the opinion of the other if you know what it's about as a game. That said Origins is better than both imo, so play that.

Found the combat completely lacking in Inquisition, lacked any kind of tactile feedback. People talk bad about Witchet 3's combat, but I found it far better and more fun than my Templar Knight. Game had no real positives for me besides the environment graphics and character interactions. And said character interactions felt much weaker and less compelling than other Bioware games for me. But they were still Bioware characters, so I found a lot of enjoyment talking to them.

Inquisition had such an incredibly dull combat loop. Knight Enchanter made every encounter trivial to the point that squadmates didn't even matter. Dragons were a joke.

Nesther

I prefered Witcher 3, but the combat was a cakewalk, even on the highest difficulty. Inquistion can actually be challenging though.

DA INQ combat can be a lot of fun if you play on the right settings.

A patch added new challenge options, sort of like XCOM settings, that do things like make Potions heal only 1 HP, make enemies spam abilities, etc.

A shield wall spamming generic templar on the highest difficulty in just the Hinterlands can take 3-4 minutes to kill if you don't use a counter (e.g. backstab).

On default settings, combat is pretty easy and even spammy. Especially if you 'overlevel.'

Highly recommend either going into areas underleveled or playing on 'challenging' settings because the game actually does have a lot of great abilities/counters/combos/breakers -- it's just the default settings of the game make 'em pointless and the 'pause cam' is kinda.... crap. But the mechanics are there.

In terms of story.... I dunno, I liked the plot of DA INQ and it had a lot better character conversation. It had really great secondary characers. Coming form Witcher 3, you'll probably greatly appreciate the increased agency. Especially if you research the past DA stories, and spend a few hours on DA Keep 'customizing' your backstory (highly highly recommend this). The 'stage' for the DA INQ is really great. The weakest part is some of the storytelling and pacing, and I think Witcher 3 delivers much better in that regard (though it has its own sidequest/pacing issues). It's just kinda a more grand story. I dunno. They're... different. Witcher 3 has much better 'acted' scenes and characters, but I really found the machinations and motivations of DA INQ really interesting.

It can be rather diverse, too. Which is a positive and negative. On one hand, DA INQ really explores a lot of different races, sexuality, geography, etc. It has a ton of themes. Witcher 3 mostly just has one or two. But it does those far better than anything in DAI. So, coming from W3, you'll probably at first think... wow, the story has a lot of diversity... there are so many different areas. But then you'll probably feel like, none of the factions remotely compare to Redania and none of these locations remotely compare to Skellige or Novigrad.

So, in that regard, DA INQ is still good but different, which you may find refreshing.

For what it's worth, both games were probably my #2 favorite game for their respective year and I put about... 210 hours into my main DA INQ file, and I think W3 is about 150 hours so far and another 30 in a NewGame+. And I'm pretty biased to high fantasy with politics, and highly highly biased to any sort of 'castle building,' resource gathering, army/base theme game.

Inquisition is godawful. You know how in W3 there are tons of little things on the map, like treasure chests and monster nests and all that other good stuff? And you know how all of it is optional? In Inquisition it's not optional. You gain points by completing those things, and you need a certain number of points to do each story mission. It's a terrible mechanic that forces you to play the game in a way that you might not otherwise choose.
It's so easy to spot the people who've played maybe an hour of the game. Power is handed out so generously that you would have to actively avoid collecting it to not have enough for main quests.

DarkFlame

Banned
Dragon Age will pale out in comparison with the Witcher,but that stands for every other game to be honest.

Having played DA:I before the Witcher 3,I can say that I really enjoyed it and it's worth,one of the greater RPG's of last years

Inquisition had such an incredibly dull combat loop. Knight Enchanter made every encounter trivial to the point that squadmates didn't even matter. Dragons were a joke.
And this is different from W3 where you can get through the game on Death March by spamming fast attack how exactly. At least DA:I has class variation and cross class combos.

Top Bottom