• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i need another witcher 3 in my life

Yep. Only other open world game that came close was Red Dead Redemption 2. If we get even half as good a game as witcher 3 with starfield I count that as a win.

my covid game. a beautiful thing, cherish the love we had.

didn't even need weed to have the most amazing experience. eagerly waiting for the patch to play the DLCs.

Mozzarella

Sorry then, because even CDPR won't be able to make another Witcher 3 type game, mark my words. lol. Not because its too good, but because the company has changed.

Anyway, i can suggest you try:
Kingdom Come
Gothic 1 and 2

Last edited:

YuLY

Since I made earlier the list of current alternatives. I was thinking I would post my upcoming list also. We will eat good especially for fantasy-medieval stuff. For SF I wish we would get more stuff, I'm still waiting for a Mass Effect alternative, and while I'm hyped for Starfield, it doesnt feel like it will be a space opera.
I'm not huge into izometric stuff, so most of these are Witcher style over-the-shoulder camera or first person.

Fantasy-Medieval:
Avowed
Hogwarts Legacy
Final Fantasy XVI
Dragon Age: Dreadwolf
Greedfall II
Fable reboot
Dragon's Dogma II
Gothic remake
Witcher 4
The Elder Scrolls 6
Atlas Fallen
I, The Inquisitor
Baldur's Gate 3

SF:
Starfield
Mass Effect next
Star Wars: Kotor remake
Cyberpunk 2077 next
AAA SF game (Humanoid Studios/Casey Hudson director of ME 1-3 and Kotor 1)
<Rumored by Schreirer?> Deus Ex next

We need more cyberpunk and space opera RPGs. Wish we would get an AAA Shadowrun RPG.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
200.gif

sxH1sVI.jpg

We all have that one game. For me it's Persona 5.
Exactly, and for me it's Vindictus. I'm truly hoping that Blue Protocol ends up as a great successor. I saw their 2 hour reveal dev presentation this month and I felt it that feeling again, that feeling of looking at an MMO and finally saying 'this is it, this is the next Vindictus I've been looking for' and it could end up even greater based on their openness to feedback and real time changes to combat and design.

OP I hope you find your new Witcher experience one day.

Thief1987

This post made me realise that we should have a public court where we could nominate people getting banned for having bad taste.
Boring may be subjective. But bad combat? Lol absolutely, you will have a hard time to find a worse combat system in a modern ARPG.

samoilaaa

He is talking about witcher 3, cities with people and great side quests and you are recommending Elden Ring.

Elden Ring is a great game but its an entirely different game then witcher 3..

After praising Witcher 3 you are stating that Elder Scrolls 6 might be better. Dude you are hurting my Soul.
Never been a huge fan of TES Games. Skyrims world always felt very artifical bland and boring to me so I'm not expecting anything even remotley as good from TES6 as Witcher3 was. ( in Terms of story, dialogue, questdesign or worldbuilding )

Combat was actually more enjoyable in Skyrim though. But also kinda boring.

I would actually like and RPG like witcher 3 with coices and consequences like in divinity original sin but with a great and deep combat system that offers enough variety but not making it to easy or hard.
well thats why i said that who knows , it could be , es6 is a 2026+ game so the game direction might change alot , it might have a total different feeling from the other elder scrolls games

samoilaaa

Since I made earlier the list of current alternatives. I was thinking I would post my upcoming list also. We will eat good especially for fantasy-medieval stuff. For SF I wish we would get more stuff, I'm still waiting for a Mass Effect alternative, and while I'm hyped for Starfield, it doesnt feel like it will be a space opera.
I'm not huge into izometric stuff, so most of these are Witcher style over-the-shoulder camera or first person.

Fantasy-Medieval:
Avowed
Hogwarts Legacy
Final Fantasy XVI
Dragon Age: Dreadwolf
Greedfall II
Fable reboot
Dragon's Dogma II
Gothic remake
Witcher 4
The Elder Scrolls 6
Atlas Fallen
I, The Inquisitor
Baldur's Gate 3

SF:
Starfield
Mass Effect next
Star Wars: Kotor remake
Cyberpunk 2077 next
AAA SF game (Humanoid Studios/Casey Hudson director of ME 1-3 and Kotor 1)
<Rumored by Schreirer?> Deus Ex next

We need more cyberpunk and space opera RPGs. Wish we would get an AAA Shadowrun RPG.
ff16 has that dark gritty fantasy feeling that the world of the witcher has especially in the 1st game

Most predictable shitpost in the entire history of predictable shitposts.

The first question I ask a person when I meet them is how many times they finished the Witcher 3. If the answer is 8 or less, I fuck them up.

EmbarrassedWeeklyHoneybadger-size_restricted.gif

Sarcasm or serious post? Can't tell.

This post made me realise that we should have a public court where we could nominate people getting banned for having bad taste.

Somebody's jealous his jrpg games will never be as renowned as witcher 3.

I see no lies in the disputed statement.

Also, I see Dragon Age Origins recommendations but a troubling lack of Baldur's Gate II.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Boring may be subjective. But bad combat? Lol absolutely, you will have a hard time to find a worse combat system in a modern ARPG.
i can see how alot of people find the combat boring , it doesnt have flashy skills or insane combos , instead its all about learning about the type of monster ur facing , what potions you need , its all about preparing ahead of time

Thief1987

it doesnt have flashy skills or insane combos
My main complaint that it does actually. This combat isn't input based, it's animation based. You don't have control over what exact animation will be played after each of button pressing. Geralt doing triple toe loop before attack looks "cool" only for the first two times and absolutely stupid after, especially if you are constantly getting hits because of that.

Last edited:

buenoblue

♥️ The Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time. I had a beast pc at the the time with sli 780ti's and had just bought the newly released LG ec930v oled tv. Running that game pretty maxed out at 1080p 60 on that OLED screen was truly a wonderous time. The world looked glorious and the writing, story and voice acting was the best in the biz, maybe even still today!

I loved the way the game made me feel like I was doing separate quest lines that then intertwined into each other to reveal genuinely a engrossing story. It takes a lot to shock me nowadays but the bloody Baron quest line shocked me with it's relatable real world problems, of alcohol abuse and domestic violence and impossible choices with no real right answers.

After the the conclusion of the bloody Baron quest I literally had to turn the game off as I was emotionally drained, and I remember thinking about it and my choices for days. WOW.

I haven't bin so moved so much by any game or media before or since. A truly monumental achievement in story and visuals.

I will admit the game did drag on a little to long but wow what a game.

I remember thinking the next gen had really started and if rpgs kept this quality or even increased it then gaming will be transformed! but alas this wasn't the case lol.

Im looking forward to the next gen upgrades and it's bin long enough now to play again, this time in 4k HDR 😃.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Try dragons dogma.

I loved the combat in witcher 3. It was so incredible fluid and fun.

SHA

I admit it , it gave me hope in this industry , the rest most of them are retros , I play all kinds of games so I don't wanna sound favoring some genres and opinionated.

samoilaaa

Nothing tops the first Witcher game's world, it's so incredibly immersive and had the best atmosphere of the series
yeah the 1st game has that true dark fantasy feeling , i really hope that in the remake they will keep that atmosphere and wont go towards high fantasy with colorful tone

i know you don't like it but fuck it and everyone else but i'll say it... Cyberpunk 2077 is the only game that came real close to warming up my witcherless cold heart. i can't wait for the expansion to jump back in!

the only other games that somewhat come close are Persona 5 Royal, BOTW, and RDR2.

Laptop1991

I finally played the Witcher 3 last year after not liking the combat before that, but always wanting to play it, once i got the hang of the combat and learning how to win at Gwent lol, i loved the game, so hopefully the Witcher 4 will be the Witcher 3 and then some!.

samoilaaa

i know you don't like it but fuck it and everyone else but i'll say it... Cyberpunk 2077 is the only game that came real close to warming up my witcherless cold heart. i can't wait for the expansion to jump back in!

the only other games that somewhat come close are Persona 5 Royal, BOTW, and RDR2.
even if i didnt like cp2077 too much i am looking forward to the expansion because dropping the previous gen was a very good idea and we might see some big improvements ( i hope in the crowd AI department )

amigastar

If you can stomach older games, try Morrowind. It is very deep and the sense of world and exploration is incredible and unmatched by like 99% of modern RPG's.
I'm waiting for Skywind so much!! When they are gonna finish it?

samoilaaa

If you can stomach older games, try Morrowind. It is very deep and the sense of world and exploration is incredible and unmatched by like 99% of modern RPG's.
played all the elder scrolls , i really want to see more from wayward realms , i dont know if u heard about this game , its made by the people that made dagerfall

everytime i see that picture from ur avatar i get the urge to play all the deus ex games again

Last edited:

Freeman76

It's not entirely a shitpost. It's a pretty boring open world with a really enjoyable story. That said, everyone has that one special game and if this is the one then that's respectable.
It is entirely a shitpost, no need to even enter a thread just to put someones favourite game down for the sake of it.

samoilaaa

samoilaaa samoilaaa From the games you listed, it sounds like you love immersive games. May I recommend the Metro, Bioshock, and Mass Effect Series?
ive played them all , now all i have to do is wait for their sequels lol

bioshock definetly has a magical feeling to it and the story was amazing

Last edited:

Hooks

I'm patiently waiting for the next gen version to replay it, Only been waiting 2 years. It's my favourite game of all time

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yep. Only other open world game that came close was Red Dead Redemption 2. If we get even half as good a game as witcher 3 with starfield I count that as a win.

You didn’t like Cyberpunk?

I think Starfield will deliver the goods. But it’s a ways away and nothing else on the horizon will be reaching that level.

Shifty1897

ive played them all , now all i have to do is wait for their sequels lol

bioshock definetly has a magical feeling to it and the story was amazing
Dang, thought I had something for you! I haven't played this one yet, but people who love all those games speak highly of Prey.

samoilaaa

Dang, thought I had something for you! I haven't played this one yet, but people who love all those games speak highly of Prey.
you should play it its great , its not as good as dishonored series but worth it , the level design in that game top notch and there are moments when you really need to think , its not a game in which you can just shoot everything to advance

Cyberpunk writing is "way" better than TW3 in my opinion. It's just more interesting as a whole. TW3 is one of the best written AAA game there is but still somehow i feel like the universe is a classic fantasy directed at nerds, even with all the "deconstruction of tales", cynism and real world themes there are in the game. It's just like some pure geek material. Cyberpunk is so much deeper than that, it keeps punching you in the face.

In your feeling of "being part of the world", Cyberpunk does also a fantastic job. The staging is crazy, never seen anything that immersive in a first person game. The scripts are everywhere, it's not like the dialogue of TW3 where outside of the real cutscenes it's still pretty robotic and unimaginative.

I don't want to say your opinion is wrong but

Your opinion is wrong

And I liked CP quite a bit

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Dinity Original Sin is a turn based combat game, but it's deep enough and interesting enough to get lost in the way you can get lost in The Witcher 3.

♥️ The Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time. I had a beast pc at the the time with sli 780ti's and had just bought the newly released LG ec930v oled tv. Running that game pretty maxed out at 1080p 60 on that OLED screen was truly a wonderous time. The world looked glorious and the writing, story and voice acting was the best in the biz, maybe even still today!

I loved the way the game made me feel like I was doing separate quest lines that then intertwined into each other to reveal genuinely a engrossing story. It takes a lot to shock me nowadays but the bloody Baron quest line shocked me with it's relatable real world problems, of alcohol abuse and domestic violence and impossible choices with no real right answers.

After the the conclusion of the bloody Baron quest I literally had to turn the game off as I was emotionally drained, and I remember thinking about it and my choices for days. WOW.

I haven't bin so moved so much by any game or media before or since. A truly monumental achievement in story and visuals.

I will admit the game did drag on a little to long but wow what a game.

I remember thinking the next gen had really started and if rpgs kept this quality or even increased it then gaming will be transformed! but alas this wasn't the case lol.

Im looking forward to the next gen upgrades and it's bin long enough now to play again, this time in 4k HDR 😃.
Bin? That’s a weird autocorrect if that’s what’s happening here.

TW3 is the best game of the PS4/ Xbone generation, easily. Of course, I say that as someone who’s never played RDR2.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Mass Effect 1-3 (with 1st being my fav game of all time, as a side note)

I just finished Mass Effect on Steam Deck and I'm ~5 hours into Mass Effect 2. (this is my nth playthrough but the last time I played the series was 5 years ago)

Mass Effect 1 is untouchable. If Starfield is a modern take on this formula I will poo in my pants from excitement.

You didn’t like Cyberpunk?

I think Starfield will deliver the goods. But it’s a ways away and nothing else on the horizon will be reaching that level.

Its not as complete as Witcher 3. They need a Gwent equivalent or something like the the minigames in Yakuza series. I mean, there is a fully fledge optional gwent tournament , a personal upgradeable vineyard, a tourney and multiple large cities. Cyberpunk sequel will probably be equal to Witcher 3 though.

I been chasing the feeling ocarina of time gave me when I was young. Witcher 3 got me there. Maybe the next installment will be just as good. Im hoping the remaster is a big surprise and makes it feel new again

Top Bottom