• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, where are all the survival horror games for 2016?

WITHE1982

Wow this thread went downhill pretty fast.

I was also going to suggest Layers Of Fear but don't think it falls into the survival horror pigeon-hole.

There seems to be plenty of exploration/1st person horror games out this year buy sadly SH seems a dying genre.

Oh What Remains Of Edith Finch (Santa Monica/Giant Sparrow) is out this year but yet again more exploration/psychological horror. (gameplay here)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh gezzzzzzzzzzzzz saying Outlast is not a Survival Horror because an article said so whereas in the same article it also defines games like Amnesia as one, which plays exactly like Outlast mechanically, is just... I don't know.

CryptiK

Common sense hasn't played a part in naming genres in a long time. RPG, Moba, brawler, etc all have very broad definitions that could apply to virtually every game if taken literally, but in reality apply to a reasonably narrow set of criteria. For the longest time, resource management has been a defining factor in survival horror games (Dead Space, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, The Last Of Us etc etc).

Outlast is a horror game, no doubt, but I don't think it fits into the same category as the above examples. Nothing wrong with that either, it's not a slate against the game or anything.
There is resource management in Outlast though, just like in Amnesia. Your light source is bound by a scarce resource.

Lime

What pisses me off more is that most if not all survival-horror in development now is first-person. What the hell happened to all the third-person horror games?!

The loss of middle-tier budgets happened. Survival horror, especially in thirdperson, has never been AAA nor has it been indie as such - it's always occupied that weird in-between.

The reason why we are seeing more first person is because It's much cheaper to make than a third-person one, since the latter requires a lot of workpower allocated to animation, texturing, modelling, etc.

There is resource management in Outlast though, just like in Amnesia. Your light source is bound by a scarce resource.

I guess you could look at it that way, I just don't think it's the same. You can call it survival horror if you want, it doesn't bother me what someone else defines a game as, but your definition and reasoning behind it was off.

Breaking the term down literally is like saying that all games are roleplaying games because you play a role.

Outlast and Resident Evil are both horror games, but they're both based on very different base design philosophies, so much so that they're not in the same genre. This is why we have genres in the first place - to differentiate subsets of games. Outlast and Resi are too different gameplay-wise to belong to the same genre, hence one being pure horror the other survival horror. The OP is clearly asking for a certain genre - saying Outlast II is coming out when it doesn't fit the criteria is like recommending the Witcher 3 in a JRPG thread.

Oh look, the voice of reason showed up.

Cheers.

I probably wouldn't consider that as being "enough", as almost every horror games needs at least one limited resource in order to have the player keep a pace.

The difference is usually in the quantity of the resources you must manage. It's oil in amnesia, batteries in outlast, your flashlight has a timer in slender:TEP.

Whilst in resident evils and some silent hills, it's health, ammo, sometimes lighting and other variables.

It's a fine line though. And resource management is but one component of what defines a game as survival horror or horror.

CryptiK

I probably wouldn't consider that as being "enough", as almost every horror games needs at least one limited resource in order to have the player keep a pace.

The difference is usually in the quantity of the resources you must manage. It's oil in amnesia, batteries in outlast, your flashlight has a timer in slender:TEP.

Whilst in resident evils and some silent hills, it's health, ammo, sometimes lighting and other variables.

It's a fine line though. And resource management is but one component of what defines a game as survival horror or horror.
Name the others.. Puzzles? Has that. Survival where you have no control over the environment? Has that. Keys etc? Has that. And so on, the only literal difference is it lacks weapons to kill your enemy.

Name the others.. Puzzles? Has that. Survival where you have no control over the environment? Has that. Keys etc? Has that. And so on, the only literal difference is it lacks weapons to kill your enemy.

I'm coming from the point of view that you can't call forza a combat racing game just because you can shunt other cars and the only thing missing is ways to damage your opponents. It just doesn't fit the bill of a combat racing game well enough.

But okay, so that the thread doesn't derail further, shall we just refer to the games OP wants as silent hill-esque?

Outlast is not survival horror.
Every single survival horror thread is derailed by this semantics debate. Considering that "survival horror" games that were made by a handful of developers come like years apart (and if it weren't for Capcom remaking older REs right now), is this really a fruitful distinction? Console horror is a tiny market right now, which is where the budget is for all those systems needed in a "survival horror", and since PC is the platform where horror has gotten revitalisation since Amnesia but they're mostly indie games, you're not going to find "survival horror" games in abundance every year. So, how some people equate "survival horror" to horror games where there isn't resource management, it should be fine cause you're not getting a "survival horror" game any time soon.

Jito

Banned
Would love to see Routine sometime soon. Hope it's still in the making, killer robot on a moon base sounds great.

I think the reason we're not seeing many RE-like games scheduled is because of how risky they are. Isolation and the evil within became dirt cheap very quickly, almost as if sales dropped significantly after release.

It's a lot of work and money for a pretty big gamble. It's usually cheaper/easier to make a first person game too.

Game genres are badly defined in general, and those definitions can be completely arbitrary. There's also the problem of people confusing genres and styles.
Would probably be better if those were kept separate, though to be frank, there is so much mixing of games these days that even that is difficult.

Melchiah

Just occurred to me there is very very little on the horizon for console horror fans in 2016, unless I'm missing something?

Still waiting for something to scratch my Silent Hill/Siren itch in this generation, but I'll take your Alien Isolations and Until Dawn's too.

There's no shortage of horror in 2016.

Resident Evil Zero HD
Layers of Fear
Firewatch (more of a thriller though, I suppose)
Outlast 2
The Hum: Abductions (https://youtu.be/Wwi2pFXsunk)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Dying Light: The Following
What Remains of Edith Finch (might be more of a thriller as well)

I think Forgotten Memories is supposed to be out this year on PS4 and a bunch of other stuff. It's very SH2 inspired and Guy Cihi voices a character even. I'm not sure if it'll be the full package or not though. I know episode 1 came out on iOS, but I'm not sure if the next episode ever hit or not.
mm_thumb1.jpg
This seems like something relevant to my interests

Melchiah

I think Forgotten Memories is supposed to be out this year on PS4 and a bunch of other stuff. It's very SH2 inspired and Guy Cihi voices a character even. I'm not sure if it'll be the full package or not though. I know episode 1 came out on iOS, but I'm not sure if the next episode ever hit or not.
mm_thumb1.jpg

Huh, this is the first time I hear about this game. Thanks for the heads up.

Maximo

Alison Road, Outlast 2, Syndrome, Resident Evil Zero Remaster, Visage, PAMELA, Perception, Layers Of Fear, Aslyum, Wick, Routine, that is just a few that are coming out this year, no AAA budget games but I have been more disturbed by indie horror games then any big budget horror. If your looking for Horror games the website Bloody Disgusting is a great source to get up to date with any and all horror comes coming out.
Edit; Well alot are not *Survival Horror* and I agree that not alot are made these days but if your a straight horror fan the last few years have been great.

mm_thumb1.jpg

thanks for mentioning this game, i am definitely going to be checking it out when it releases on consoles

Lime

How was Forgotten Memories? I'm wondering if it has any problems or flaws that a PC port won't fix (narrative, writing, music, VA, etc.)

"Survival Horror" was a term coined for the Japanese market to best explain what kind of game Resident Evil was in its inception. "Survival" is it's own Japanese word. It's written in Japanese as サバイバル (sabaibaru).

What comes up when you look up "sabaibaru?"

異常な事態の下で,生き延びること。また,そのための技術。

To survive within an abnormal situation. May also refer to the means that are used within that abnormal situation to survive.

It has to be some sort of extraordinary situation, requiring extraordinary measures. Not just "survival," but survival within a specific context. But what if that context takes place in videogames, where characters are often subjected to extraordinary scenarios? Then you have to think about what is "ordinary" and what is "extra-ordinary" - outside of ordinary within a game.

I think there's an argument to be had that horror games with a means of survival that isn't limited to killing everything can be called "survival horror." Running and hiding isn't the norm, or at least it wasn't a major norm until relatively recently, despite a series of games like Clock Tower, etc that featured such mechanics a few generations ago. And running around solving puzzles is akin to "surviving by your wits," not force, which of course dominates videogames.

But there's also the argument that "survival" has special connotations in English that evoke such imagery as the movie Castaway, where limited resources are available and special means have to be employed to get by.

xrnzaaas

Outlast 2
Friday the 13th
Call of Cthulhu
Perception
The Forest
Layers of Fear
plus games like Dying Light: The Following and TWD Season 3... for me there's no difference if it's survival horror or "just" horror, as long as it's playable and scary I'm satisfied :)

2016 looks pretty okay to me.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
mm_thumb1.jpg

Unfortunately it is a shit game.

You realise that that Wikipedia article states that Amnesia and Penumbra are also survival horror games right? Both present the same gameplay as Outlast. In which you must Survive throughout the Horror game.

I'll bite.

What are the subdivision of horror gaming?
1. Survival Horror
2 Dying Horror?
3. Horrible gameplay?
4. Blood and Gore shooters?

The "survival" part is scavenging. Not staying alive.

Yeah, no way am I doing that. I'd throw the headset across the room screaming probably. I have a hard enough time with scary shit on a screen as it is. You're a brave soul.

Hehehe well, I'm pretty sure I will be scared shitless but the experience will be awesome!

Lernaean

Banned
Hopefully we'll see the Bio7 announcement this year.
And anyway, no more first person defenseless guy/gal hiding from monster anymore, they are more common than FPSs nowadays.

SomTervo

There are a few good contenders, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. We've been spoiled recently though, with all the great SH!

Outlast is a survival horror game.

Survival horror refers to a subgenre of horror video games.[5][6] The player character is vulnerable and under-armed,[7] which puts emphasis on puzzle-solving and evasion, rather than violence.[8] Games commonly challenge the player to manage their inventory[9] and ration scarce resources such as ammunition.[7][8]

- you have to avoid enemies and solve environmental puzzles
- you have to manage the battery for your camera, which is your only flashlight (ammunition)

It is a survival horror game focused on a hide and seek mechanic. Yes, it is very stripped down, but it is a survival horror game under the very criteria you post.

Mupod

I hope the 'hide from slenderman' genre dies off in favor of real survival horror but so far it's looking like we aren't getting much of either.

What was that game announced a million years ago...took place on the moon, or mars? Very limited ability to fight back, enemies are mechanical. Kept getting delayed over and over. Really disappointed by its disappearance because horror set on a space ship/station/colony is usually my favorite thing. Just not a big fan of constantly fleeing and hiding from invincible instakill enemies so Alien Isolation was not on the table for me.

fake edit: remembered the name right before posting - Routine. Would be nice if it came out this year.

Enordash

Yeah, that kinda sucks. Hey, at least we got Zombi U and Alien: Isolation. And SOMA, which I haven't gotten around to yet.

Just started SOMA. Really enjoying it so far.

Edge of Nowhere may count? I'm legitimately afraid to try VR horror. I'm already a huge baby when it comes to horror (but that's what makes it exciting!)

Also, Outlast 2 is hinting at weapons throughout the game. At this point we're not sure if its just enemies or the character himself, so even if it didn't fit the survival horror genre for some in the first one, it should for the second.

Top Bottom