• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Russian video about Virtua Fighter 2 is super good (English subtitles)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I just caught this video and wanted to share it with everyone as I found it really entertaining and fascinating. It concentrates mostly just on Virtua Fighter 2, from its improvements over the first game to the dramatic rivalry between BunBun Maru and Daimon Lau, it also talks about the game in relation to what Tekken was doing at the time.

Here's the link, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

oneida

Good stuff. Used to have that on PC. The Tekken bashing was also funny.

Always wondered about the PC and PS2 versions of VF2. The Model 2 emulator is amazing, but I wish SEGA would let me buy VF2 on Steam.

But, you know, not the Genesis version.

You know, I've watched that BunBunMaru versus Daimon Lau video a couple of times before and was usually able to figure out enough about what was happening in that match and tje stuff surrounding it. But never really the context behind what led to it, the reputation Daimon had, the aftermath, all of that stuff.

Watching this makes me appreciate that particular rivalry a whole lot more. Especially the run back with BunBun turning the match around with Wolf's throws. Seeing this shit must have been something else back in the '90s.

oneida

Watching this makes me appreciate that particular rivalry a whole lot more. Especially the run back with BunBun turning the match around with Wolf's throws. Seeing this shit must have been something else back in the '90s.
The atmosphere in that room is absolutely electric. VF has a hard time communicating things to a general audience, so I don't think there'll ever be a "Daigo parry" equivalent, but the BunBun Maru/Daimon Lau rivalry is close enough for me personally.

Fascinating video, excellent narration.

I'm so jealous that Japan's arcade market is still thriving. To go back to that time...

:-(

@MUWANdo

Banned
Fascinating video, excellent narration.

I'm so jealous that Japan's arcade market is still thriving. To go back to that time...

:-(

It's definitely not thriving, especially when it comes to traditional games... "treading water" is probably more accurate.

VF5.NET is being shut down at the end of February, incidentally.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, I had no idea about this rivalry. I'm blown away by how well done this video is.

1. Why didn't people just use Lau to counter cheap Lau?
2. How could Sega make someone so broken?
3. Is Lau still used today?

oneida

Wow, I had no idea about this rivalry. I'm blown away by how well done this video is.

2. How could Sega make someone so broken?
3. Is Lau still used today?

Lau still has that string but it's been severely nerfed in that the first hit is high instead of mid, therefore you can just duck the whole thing. It's still useful, sorta, but I don't like to use it because it's difficult to execute and loses to stuff like 2P. Better to stick to 4P+K which is virtually the same as the VF2 version of the move - except it's nearly twice as slow.

Dunno enough about the japanese VF2 scene to comment on the rest. Glad you liked the vid.

oneida

Is that in VF5 or did you mean they patched it in VF2?

It's in VF5. VF2 got a "patch" by way of 2.1 that fixed some bonkers stuff but Lau's 2_3P wasn't changed. The team was probably hard at work on VF3 right after 2.1 dropped!

One cool thing about the Saturn version of this game is that you can switch between 2 and 2.1 from the options menu.

You do know about the PS3 version, right...?

Of course, and I own it, but with no sign of VF on current gen it'd be nice to see it get some PC presence.

Dambrosi

Banned
Of course, and I own it, but with no sign of VF on current gen it'd be nice to see it get some PC presence.
Agreed, a PC version would be dandy, online modes and everything.

To be honest, though, I'd rather Sega hires Yu Suzuki back
after he finishes Shenmue 3
and sets him to work on VF6.

oneida

I only have Fighters Megamix :D

a great game to have! since VF3 didn't see a console release until the Dreamcast, people could use FM to practice the VF3 moves at home (since the VF roster have their VF3 movelist in that game)

VF2 on Saturn is a technical marvel and I actually play it more than the XBLA/PSN release. It also costs about as much as a cup of coffee so I'd endorse a purchase!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah but it's a tech poopoo compared to VF2. Still, so fun. OMG so fun. You can be VIRTUA COP LADY JANET vs. A RACECAR

VS. A GIANT SONIC THE FIGHTERS THING

vs. Akira

vs. crazy people I had never even heard of because I didn't have Last Bronx

Sega Saturn in 1996! Oh, were it that way again.

oneida

Yeah but it's a tech poopoo compared to VF2. Still, so fun. OMG so fun. You can be VIRTUA COP LADY JANET vs. A RACECAR

vs. Akira

tumblr_np3atlCjaL1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_njj7ivBhlc1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_njhaprMHuQ1slig2vo1_400.gif

Let us never forget that Fighters Megamix is a real game

@MUWANdo

Banned
VF2 on Saturn is a technical marvel and I actually play it more than the XBLA/PSN release. It also costs about as much as a cup of coffee so I'd endorse a purchase!

I probably don't need to tell you about this but most of the team behind Saturn VF2 split off from Sega and made their own VF-style Saturn game called Goiken Muyou: Anarchy in the Nippon, and it's even more technically impressive than VF2 (and a few of the tetsujin are in the game as playable characters because why not?)

Man, learning all this about VF2's competitive arcade culture is really making me appreciate VF4E's Quest Mode even more, lol. Didn't have much context to the significance of travelling around to different arcades in different regions to take on players until now.

But yeah, coming in with no knowledge of this rivalry and as a really surface level VF player, I still found this video super fascinating. Good stuff.

Dambrosi

Banned
You'd never get anything like Fighters Megamix in these penny-pinching, overly-conservative times. The closest we have nowadays is MUGEN or Smash Bros.

oneida

I probably don't need to tell you about this but most of the team behind Saturn VF2 split off from Sega and made their own VF-style Saturn game called Goiken Muyou: Anarchy in the Nippon, and it's even more technically impressive than VF2 (and a few of the tetsujin are in the game as playable characters because why not?)
I've heard of anarchy in the nippon but haven't yet played it. I have all the other Saturn 3D fighters, i think.

Syril

Does anyone know what Katsuya Terada's involvement with VF2 was exactly? I know he did a bunch of promotional illustrations and a manga. Did he also design Shun and Lion?

LukasF

Very good find! VF2 was the only fighting game I've ever been halfway competitive at, actually pulled off an SPoD in an online match on PC (which sadly is my greatest fighting game accomplishment hahah).

Really interesting to hear about the J6 backstory, ingame it does mention the corporation and the brainwashing but it never explains why they did that in the first place. Curious where those forumers got their info from.

Shaneus

I'm not even a fan of the series (I am, but am never any good at them) but that video was super interesting. The narrator was entertaining and showed good enthusiasm, too.

Suck a Richard!

I'm not even a fan of the series (I am, but am never any good at them) but that video was super interesting. The narrator was entertaining and showed good enthusiasm, too.

Suck a Richard!
Yeah, his passion was quite infectious.

Hopefully he does more of this stuff for other games too.

Good lord at VFs story. Is that for real? I thought Tekken was the king of crazy.

I really liked the story about the rivalry between those 2 VF champs (and how the game's mechanics/character weirdness played a huge part in it), along with the wrap-up/parallels involving the 20th anniversary Tekken tournament.

Conversely, the comparison between that real life rivalry and a fighting game story was really weird, off base and kind of ramble-y to me, especially when he gives praise to how T2 handled Kazuya.

He really lays into Tekken 2 here, same for Tekken 1 in the first video. I'd have to agree with him, however. I spent the majority of my time playing 3 when I was younger. When I played the first 2 for an extended period via T5, I was extremely put off.

As a more casual fighting fan though, VF really hasn't grabbed me at all. Tekken's one button per limb gamplay is personally grandfathered into my subconscious (the proliferation of the playstation vs the diminishing of Sega consoles helped); DOA is more explosive, "loose tolerance" and has a much lower barrier of entry despite having VF esque controls; and Soul Calibur is overall much slower and much more comprehensible (but has its own problems these days).

Sega doesn't really need to dumb anything down. They need to aim outward to grab the world audience: get a budget, inject some flavor into the presentation, make a console/PC game (SFV) first and a practically japan/asia exclusive arcade game second. Get a modern voice cast that doesn't sound like it was recorded through 15 coffee filters glued together. Do a reboot of sorts by adding a "Solid" esque flair to its title and start the numbers over again from there. Dedicate more resources into fleshing out your characters like Tekken and SF, rather than just match intro/end animations and attract enbu's (e.g. outsource more CG/anime material like Tekken/SF). People love Tekken, Smash, DOA, SF, and MK because of all that fluff. Gross, and extreme end of the spectrum tangent, but people don't want DOAX3 just because T&A, they want Kasumi's/Hitomi's/Ayane's/insert besto-gurl's T&A. Use that (but not really that, more like just the emotional attachment complex in general) to sell merch. Sponsor more visible tournaments in conjunction with a new game like smash has done.

Fighting games are a niche market, but I think there's plenty of room on that small stage if you just put yourself out there like everyone else instead of just being "that guy" over in the corner keeping to himself.

oneida

mechanically VF is simpler than DoA. and if we're diagnosing what VF needs, it's a new entry. imagine where DoA would be if the most recent iteration were IV, or tekken if the most recent game were T5.

Tizoc

vs. Akira

Just checking but u do have m2's vf2 port on ps3 right?

Arzehn

Didn't expect to finish watching but I did. Thanks for sharing.

I feel like I should go play some VF2 in Yakuza 5 now. Should at least get the trophy.

MikeMyers

a great game to have! since VF3 didn't see a console release until the Dreamcast, people could use FM to practice the VF3 moves at home (since the VF roster have their VF3 movelist in that game)

Yes I love FMM. VF2 but with the movesets of VF3. Best of both worlds.

Thanks OP - tremendous video.

vs. Akira

Amen - it is truly a wonderful love letter to Sega fight fans, wrap in an absolutely surreal world.

Still have a Saturn copy in great condition :)

I still like VF3tb more, but thanks.
Edit: Sega making all the bad moves again. They really missed (again) to make one of their games super popular in the west. At least Capcom is now fighting to keep Street fighter alive.

BrunoM

tumblr_np3atlCjaL1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_njj7ivBhlc1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_njhaprMHuQ1slig2vo1_400.gif

VF was and is my fav fighting game always felt like was a game you had to put work into and it paid off

And as for fighters megamix it was a damn blast and I loved it lol

They should bring it back but not touch the game play to much it was perfect for what it was

EDIT: and by my avatar I guess any one can guess who was my fav and I destroy people with lol

Damn I been waiting for a big time combat of VF
"I'm faster than lightning" lol

Neff

Fantastic video.

Also it seems that VF guys pointing out how much better it is than Tekken will always be a thing.

And it is. But I still love Tekken anyway.

Accoun

So THAT'S what that tournament video was about. I'm not sure if it even was subbed, but it's way more interesting now that I know about that rivalry.

Man these are the sort of things I always felt was missing from the record. Those sort of intense rivalries that arcades encouraged.

I was one of the first people in the UK to get my hands on VF2 thanks to a retailer massively breaking the street date. It was really quite broken, several moves didn't work (Kage's flying foot stomp would always miss for example) and some stage music wouldn't play. I ended up speaking to someone at Sega about it. I wouldn't be surprised if those issues got patched out, I never got a fully working copy. Wish I'd kept it now.

Tizoc

Yo fam
post it
Post dat Kagemaru-ryu Jitsu OUGI: HISSATSU WAZA: JIGOKU GURUMA
aka Ninja Roll

Also VF4 and VF5 matches are up at game a-cho in case you missed my posts in the FGC thread :V
https://www.youtube.com/user/GAMEacho/videos

Also I like how what the Death J6 section does include stealing Jeff's pet sharks. Like they do all these vile things to humans and then they aren't above stealing friggin' sharks.

Da BunBunMaru hype. I am now a believer.
Dat BunBunMaru vs. Daimon rematch doe. DAT REMATCH DOE
I SAID
DAT
REMATCH
DOE
xpQR4x5.jpg

Great video and I really like the dude's voice.

Synth

This reminds me of when I went to the UK Nationals for Tekken 5 and over the course of the tournament everyone started dropping their mains in favor of Feng, so the tail end of the tournament was basically just Feng mirror matches throughout... was fascinating (and hilarious) to see in progress.

Fighting Vipers. There isn't anyone from Last Bronx in Megamix.

Top Bottom