• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Russian video about Virtua Fighter 2 is super good (English subtitles)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yo fam
post it
Post dat Kagemaru-ryu Jitsu OUGI: HISSATSU WAZA: JIGOKU GURUMA
aka Ninja Roll
any time
tumblr_nuupmzo4Bl1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nqnq7dHQ2B1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nik0muz7IC1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nf0kmvfD4C1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nbcyb3Vfj21slig2vo1_400.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This reminds me of when I went to the UK Nationals for Tekken 5 and over the course of the tournament everyone started dropping their mains in favor of Feng, so the tail end of the tournament was basically just Feng mirror matches throughout... was fascinating (and hilarious) to see in progress.

Fighting Vipers. There isn't anyone from Last Bronx in Megamix.

Right, sorry. I forgot. I never had either game though I thought the art in fighting vipers was fugly.

Right, sorry. I forgot. I never had either game though I thought the art in fighting vipers was fugly.

By that point, I think Sega was tired of Namco riding their ass with Tekken, so Sega wanted in on the extreme fighting game style of Tekken with Fighting Vipers. It's not understated and classy like VF, but FV's extreme '90s style is a pretty good match for the goofy, sorta ugly hodgepodge of fashion misfits that was the general look of Tekken 1 and 2, which is like a blind person after they just spent their paycheck on a new wardrobe at the thrift store.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
By that point, I think Sega was tired of Namco riding their ass with Tekken, so Sega wanted in on the extreme fighting game style of Tekken with Fighting Vipers. It's not understated and classy like VF, but FV's extreme '90s style is a pretty good match for the goofy, sorta ugly hodgepodge of fashion misfits that was the general look of Tekken 1 and 2, which is like a blind person after they just spent their paycheck on a new wardrobe at the thrift store.
tumblr_nigbt7x5vY1slig2vo1_400.gif

petran79

Banned
As a more casual fighting fan though, VF really hasn't grabbed me at all. Tekken's one button per limb gamplay is personally grandfathered into my subconscious (the proliferation of the playstation vs the diminishing of Sega consoles helped); DOA is more explosive, "loose tolerance" and has a much lower barrier of entry despite having VF esque controls; and Soul Calibur is overall much slower and much more comprehensible (but has its own problems these days).

VF and Sega in general set the precedent for all those new realistic 3D games you see the last few years on consoles and PCs. They did all this from scratch, without having such huge animation and movie assets like today's games. Which makes it even more impressive! While with the initial Tekkens you felt it was just a cartoony fighting game.

It was the first time I felt a video game character looked life-like. The Lost World did it for dinosaurs, House of the Dead did it for zombies, Ocean Hunter did it for marine species but VF did it for human characters. Shenmue extended that legacy to make it the most impressive game of the generation. Of course there were FMV games with real actors on PC back then, but for 3D games Sega was the leader.

Watching all that animation in a large arcade monitor made me feel the same awe and emotion like watching the animation of Naughty Dog PS3 titles. Perhaps even more.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Has anyone patched in online play into fighters megamix like hacked on a saturn emulator or something? God I want to play it now.

Top Bottom