• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Azure Revolution Demo Impressions

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
For any importers / JP gaf of Valkyria Chronicles Remaster, a code for a 1.5gb demo for Valkyria Azure Revo is included.

Game is out officially tomorrow, but twitter has some screens for now.

1S0413E.jpg

Curious for videos though.

The filter seems a bit strong. (EDIT actually I bet it looks better in motion)

Looking forward to gameplay impressions/video though

Ubernube

It looks kinda rough. Hope they will improve it

I would not be surprised if they downgraded some of the graphical bits to try to keep the download size low. Given how far off the game is, I suspect they'll be some improvements in that regard at least. I'm more curious about gameplay, hope someone uploads some soonish.

Really like it^^ Now, here's the moment of truth when it comes to combat... at least the focus on guns in these screens and in the past gives me hope for some strategy elements. I really really want this to be good...

Ubernube

Really like it^^ Now, here's the moment of truth when it comes to combat... at least the focus on guns in these screens and in the past gives me hope for some strategy elements. I really really want this to be good...

Given earlier information, it seems like you mainly use guns until you manage to get close enough to start dishing out melee attacks. Reminds me of Space Marine, since that game had a similar system, although I doubt the characters in this game are anywhere near as tanky as the protag from that game.

Given earlier information, it seems like you mainly use guns until you manage to get close enough to start dishing out melee attacks. Reminds me of Space Marine, since that game had a similar system, although I doubt the characters in this game are anywhere near as tanky as the protag from that game.

Why would you use melee attacks if you have guns?

In VC you had SMGs and portable rocket launchers.

Ubernube

Why would you use melee attacks if you have guns?

In VC you had SMGs and portable rocket launchers.

VC2 and 3 actually did have melee units. They were pretty potent all things considered.

With that said, now that I think about it, there aren't many games that I can quickly recall out there that have dedicated systems for both melee and gunplay. It's typically a one or the other type of deal, with at most having a simple melee attack if you're a shooter or other type of game that has ranged combat.

Hmmmm... that's sound like it could be pretty good if it works like that; use guns and a little flanking to thin out the grunts and then go in for some melee action RPG combat. I think I would be ok with that^^ I wish I could get that twitch link to play so I could see it first hand...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The performance is kind of poor but this looks maybe fun? Depends how boring the close quarters battles are when actually playing, but these core mechanics aren't turning me off.

Miff

Really like the graphics and music. Not sure if I like the look of the auto-targeting or revival function, but reserving judgement on the combat for now. They definitely need to add some variation / randomization in the sound effects and animations. Still, early days...?

Once more, with feeling!

GenG3000

After watching some battles this is not something I'd want to play. It looks pretty average for a free roaming real time battle system, without feel, as bad as a Star Ocean.

There is much room for improvement. The music is fantastic though.

Pooya

I had to mute the stream because of that foot step sounds, good grief.

It looks like an RPG with symbol based encounters, but instead of just running into them to start an encounter, there is shoot bang instead that looks extremely clumsy. Like really bad. The actual melee battles looked really stiff too. The guy playing seemingly liked rolling around on the field that looked so annoying lol.

Well, I can safely say I have no interest in playing this game from that demo footage. If the purpose of this demo is to entice people for the release, I don't think it will be doing a good job at that.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
After watching some battles this is not something I'd want to play. It looks pretty average for a free roaming real time battle system, without feel, as bad as a Star Ocean.

There is much room for improvement. The music is fantastic though.

As bad as what star ocean? I thought people liked SO battle systems.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well it looks dreadful at this stage, they seem to have damaged everything that was good about the original. I guess there's time to fix things but it's SEGA, so expect them not to bother.

It looks like it was originally going to be a traditional Valkyria game and then they decided to make it an action RPG. The environments and combat design look incredibly dull and the character designs are painful to look at.

GenG3000

As bad as what star ocean? I thought people liked SO battle systems.

In those games, attacks and animations have no weight at all, and they have to add a lot of unnecessary and overcomplicated systems to make up for the lack of strong basics. After a few battles you've seen everything.

The benchmark for a 3D real time battle system has to be Tales of Graces. Simple to play, but with interesting mechanics, and satisfying in terms of gameplay, feels and visuals.

Peff

Valkyria Chronicles 'II':The Revenge of Shit Mountain is more like it :p

Didn't want to be that blunt, but yeah, haha. It's weird too, because even the Media Vision Shining PSP games looked more engaging and were more like the original VC too. Hopefully it's just really, really early.

Well it looks dreadful at this stage, they seem to have damaged everything that was good about the original. I guess there's time to fix things but it's SEGA, so expect them not to bother.

If the general reaction from Japanese players is as poor as the reaction in this thread, I expect Sega to try to change some things, though whether they'll be able to make people happy with the final product is, of course, unknown.

If the general reaction from Japanese players is as poor as the reaction in this thread, I expect Sega to try to change some things, though whether they'll be able to make people happy with the final product is, of course, unknown.
Yup, I guess we have to put in faith that their Japanese audience calls out all the missteps necessary for improvement

Soriku

Ehh yeah the battles are a bit clunky looking. Stiff animations and the speed is on the slow side for an action game, especially when shooting. Melee combat looks a bit better but still needs more. Actually it's almost like they took the speed of the original VC, but forgot they were making an action game and didn't speed it up. It would be nice if there was jumping and more special skills (this is still early combat footage though so your repertoire should increase through the game). The footsteps are also way too loud, and it's kind of weird that rolling doesn't make a sound at all.

I'm also hoping they increase the scale of battles (larger fields with more enemies at the same time)...

Anyway they're taking feedback, so I'll reserve judgment. This is almost like 1.0 FF XV Episode Duscae combat, but the combat looks way better now in that game.

Top Bottom