• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Azure Revolution Demo Impressions

patapuf

Yeah, no.

Maybe they'll turn it around and it turns out great but so far my fears at them going ARPG seem to fulfill themselves.

Mivey

As someone who has only played the first Valkyria Chronicles: If these are Valkyria in some sort of war scenario playing after not-WW2, why are they wearing very impractical skirts, ON A BATTLEFIELD? Not that I would ever play a VC game that is not an SRPG, but are they deliberately trying to alienate a western audience?

jett

D-Member
As someone who has only played the first Valkyria Chronicles: If these are Valkyria in some sort of war scenario playing after not-WW2, why are they wearing very impractical skirts, ON A BATTLEFIELD? Not that I would ever play a VC game that is not an SRPG, but are they deliberately trying to alienate a western audience?

This is Valkyria in name only. They've discarded everything that made VC...VC.

Dio

Banned
Absolutely nothing to do with Chronicles. It's a spin-off series.

There are definitely parallels and you still can see the Valkyria influences, but instead of a grounded historical setting they're going more fantasy with this spin-off

That's the least of that demo's problems

why are they wearing very impractical skirts, ON A BATTLEFIELD?
because it's a video game

Not the same universe, and if you feel free to look at what year it takes place in, it'd be Victorian-era.

Ahem though... Not exactly pleased by what I'm seeing in footage so far. No wonder all we've gotten so far is that CG trailer and screenshots.

cireza

Combat has a serious problem because it does not look credible at all. The way everyone moves and acts feels strange and slow.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Damn I think this made me lose interest. I mean I knew this wasn't VC but this just doesn't look great best of luck to them.

Soriku

I really don't think the one girl wearing a skirt will be a thing alienating Western audiences.

This is Valkyria in name only. They've discarded everything that made VC...VC.

Everything? Really?

Damn I think this made me lose interest. I mean I knew this wasn't VC but this just doesn't look great best of luck to them.

Yeah that's why they said they're taking feedback...this is only the first version of their combat system.

Man, either something big's going to have to happen for this game in its next nine months of development or it's going to need a delay or two to Git Gud.

That gameplay looks like it's going to be another Type-0.

The world does not need another Type-0.

This is going to need a delay, even if they intended on getting feedback. One does not go from having combat that looks and feels like Oblivion, to feeling like Devil May Cry in 9 months. I'm serious, looking at that footage, VAR is in need of a serious overhaul that's going to take a lot longer than the time is remaining until Winter 2016.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Absolutely nothing to do with Chronicles. It's a spin-off series.

I'm sure if this game is successful they will never return to the SRPG style. Thankfully that seems unlikely.

Pooya

Curating franchises is just not Sega's forte. They always come up with these really interesting one offs that either die after not hitting some target or get sequels made that their fanbase wish it was dead...that's like Sega's story in the past decade or so. If it wasn't for Nagoshi personally taking care of RgG, it would probably end up same, it helps that it sells decently too.

Platinum, I beseech thee, saveth Valkyria.

Oh Holy Lord Kamiya, I summon thee to endow Azure Revolution with the RULES OF NATURE.

Combat has potential, I think if they added some weight to the guns and melee weapons, along with speeding up the flow of combat, it could go a long way. I think the whole "transition" thing from ranged to close combat looks awkward and unnecessary and breaks the flow of an already slow game.

deim0s

It's a spin-off of the Chronicles, they're just using the same world and a different timeline.

Also, at least they're wearing knickers and not pink-striped-panties. :p

Although it's hard to say if I really like the gameplay unless I play it myself, I'm liking the what I saw. As for VC I still hope that Sega releases VC3 HD remake before VC4, that way it might actually be localized since I don't want to read the art book before playing it.

Falk

that puzzling face
This is the most disappointing gameplay reveal I have seen in ages

Just got to watch this. Holy cow, the gameplay looks like it could use a lot of work.

edit: More detailed impressions:

Music and art are top notch. Gameplay doesn't look particularly engaging versus the common soldiers. Boss battles look like they could be very interesting. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a case where mowing through the fodder is pretty much a chore to get to the boss battles.

I'm sure if this game is successful they will never return to the SRPG style. Thankfully that seems unlikely.
What the hell is wrong with some of you? Your happy a game might fail? In that case i hope they completely trash the VC name and the last one you guys get is the remaster(see how this works?) This Valkyrie revolution threass still go the exact same way after months of knowing what the game was

Begaria

I'm liking what I've seen of it from that twitch video. I agree the combat could be a little faster paced, but I'm also enjoying the way combat transitions between long ranged combat to create an advantage and then going for close quarters. Definitely interested in seeing how they change things considering they're taking feedback based on the demo. I'm not going to pass judgement on how the game looks based on a compressed twitch video either. I think the dude and blue haired woman's outfits fit the scenario, but man that woman's blindingly white dress just feels out of place.

Lime

• Those footstep sounds are straight out of a PS1 game.
  • Character designs are really bad. From hot pants girl with glasses to spaghetti stick legs with convenient dress animations to darkgrim dude
  • Gun sounds are flat and way too soft.
  • I don't see much semblance or relation to the original game at all.

Aki-at

Gameplay is REALLY rough. I'm not sure if they can rectify most of the issues with it within the year.

Shame really as I like how you could influence the battle before entering in close combat but once you get into a fight it looks pretty poor.

Yeah that's why they said they're taking feedback...this is only the first version of their combat system.

You say that but...I'm not even sure what kind of feedback to give. As a proof of concept this demo fails in showing me why I would want to play this; the pre battle tactics with gunning and using items seems it could be promising if it could do more than just debuff/soften enemies for the CQC (I assume this is the meat of the game), which doesn't seem to play all that well compared to its ARPG peers. It's almost like a watered down tales mixed with some pseudo-SRPG resources that barely work together. Improving the individual aspects of the melee and gunplay/tactics is all fine and well, but it won't make it into something special.

I appreciate the efforts in trying something new; heck, that's how we got the original VC in the first place. But what's to feedback when I don't even know what fun can be wrought out of their core design? This needs to go back to the drawing board for some serious rethinking.

About the only feedback I can give is that the AI to be improved or given some command system; it was embarrassing to watch the boss fight play out like every tales game ever.

gunstarhero

Haven't been following this sequel at all - so I'm a little shocked (and disappointed) that they ditched the turn based combat. Seems there is a lot less strategy involved here.

dramatis

The girls had skirt armor in VC1. But character designs are indeed shabby and boring in this title.

On the demo footage itself, they are emphasizing 'combat setup' not in only in the sense of your loadouts, but also in how you manage the field before or without engaging in close combat. That's more strategic than I expected.

Close combat looks like crap though. I think they could make it better if they added targeting individual parts of enemies rather than just straight up mashing. Alternative equipment (guns, grenades, smoke screens) don't seem to have much application in close quarters (except maybe to escape?). That kind of defeats the purpose of the fencer types in the VC games, where their movement was shit and their range limited compared to other classes, but they dealt crazy damage.

I think it would also help to have the ability to separate team members to position some into more strategic locations (sniper in the far, far back for instance). But I don't know how that would work with the range -> close combat type system they have going right now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Combat actually reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles X, just with less menu play, and more button presses. I actually like the shift from shooting to close combat, with the very JP-Game "GOOD SITUATION!" notifications; reminds me of "Condition GREEN!" in Wild Arms series.

I didn't watch all that stream yet, but I like the rather intimate, battlefield-level movement. It's not exactly open world, but it's a large map with a variety of mini-encounters, and more rules to engagement than a normal run-and-gun. It carries on the idea that VC had in that it's a hybrid-style system that tries to bring a way of gameplay to people who generally wouldn't play the style it's paired up with. It's not as fast or precise as a "Character Action" game, but it's not as slow and withdrawn as a Tactics RPG. The biggest difference I see here is that the game is more about melee, less about guns, which I'm fine with (I always prefer melee to guns).

I think what's here could be pretty cool, especially if they work up even more tactical stuff to the pre-melee play. Adding in taunts to the tank character, maybe making combat happen in areas where civillians roam, forcing you to pick your shots and places of conflict more considerately, allowing strategies like hiding yourself and blowing up towers before you're realized... it could be pretty fun, and a nice offshoot series.

AlucardGV

Banned
Platinum, I beseech thee, saveth Valkyria.

Oh Holy Lord Kamiya, I summon thee to endow Azure Revolution with the RULES OF NATURE.

hmmm nah thanks, not everything needs to be platinum. other devs knows how to make games too. at the moment this doesn't look really good but it's a demo, there's time to improve

Enemies look stupid as dirt.
This also, quite like everyone could see from the preview material and announcement, plays nothing like VC.

wrowa

Well, that was underwhelming. I've been disappointed that they went the ARPG route, but I was (and still
am) willing to give this a shot. And while I like the graphics - the presentation stills feels very much like a Valkyria gane -, the gameplay didn't look interesting at all. I guess this might be just a tutorial, but even then... the hook is missing.

Hopefully this will still turn out to be a great game.

Olengie

I can imagine someone reading a fantasy book in Valkyria Chronicles and the story turns out to be Valkyria Azure

kunonabi

Yeah, this is looking like a total pass. Ill grab the remaster and call it a day with the series after that.

It seems like the girl's sniper rifle was taking out almost every enemy with a single head shot. I would just do that 99% of the time... None of the enemies ever seem to move when there's a gun shot.

Overall, the visual are okay-ish, but the gameplay looks very boring. :/

Top Bottom