• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

Ilvocare

overall, better then the first game, in the first game there is tons and tons of enemies in every level, and the XP bar in the first level move very slow.
but this game is too much easier,never had to use the slow time ( the slow time is used to make precise critical attack? )
one thing i loved about the first game is you can use all your moves and then you can use extra attack ( A , A+UP,A+Down,A+left,A+right , then you can use extra attack ) , here you can only use 3 moves.

For what it's worth, I'd argue that the second playthrough is where the difficulty, if any, actually starts. Advance Mode shifts the leveling curve way over to the right, and Challenge Maps are your super-hard postgame, and you can access the first one at any point after you clear the prologues.

Also the Mirage Cancel is probably a pretty good trade in the NG+, since
there's no arbitrary limit on how many you can do per battle, i.e. so long as you have at least over 100% XP you can do them.
That being said, I haven't found an opportune moment to use them.I'm pretty sure with max MC reduction and an attack upgraded enough to yield an absurd amount of XP you could insta-lock your opponent in a perpetual combo of cancelling, criticaling, and re-canceling. This is all just theory, mind.

Also the 'extra attack' feature from PXZ1 leaving is something I have utterly no qualms about. Because of that feature, enemies ended up having to have their HP and defense upgraded to account for the extended combo potential by the player, causing each individual engagement to last longer and longer as the game went on! This on top of an already glacial game was probably what ruined the image of the original PXZ to most people, and 2 is a fantastic step forward for reparations.

L.O.R.D

I'm pretty sure with max MC reduction and an attack upgraded enough to yield an absurd amount of XP you could insta-lock your opponent in a perpetual combo of cancelling, criticaling, and re-canceling. This is all just theory, mind.

what is MC?

Kaleo

Neo Member
Challenge 9 done... a really long one, took me one hour and a half.

Called "Nine Trials", Sheats w/ Nine Nine summons nine waves of enemies, one by one; and the next wave won't appear until finishing the previous one.
You need to kill everyone in less than 25 rounds - and this includes Sheats herself, plus the Ouma people, as the "10th wave" in the end... X/Zero, Hiryu/Hotsuma, KOS-MOS/Fiora and Zephyr/Vashyron were my saviours, for sure!

Just barely tried the 10th challenge, named "100 Battles".

At the same time, reached the final chapter on New Game +, but didn't played yet; I plan to do it after finishing the 10th challenge. And I feel this will take a while...

topplehat

So I recently bought this but haven't played the first. Should I bother with the first or skip it and go to the second?

Loona

So I recently bought this but haven't played the first. Should I bother with the first or skip it and go to the second?

Going straight to the 2nd is fine, all you need to know about the 1st at most is its cast list, which can be wikied, and that the original girl from that game
has a connection to a multiversal artifact known as the Portalstone that spawned its own life forms

Kaleo

Neo Member
So, finished Challenge 10...

First things first, this is the only challenge that I changed the difficulty. Surely I won't beat it so soon in Advanced Mode. And even in Normal mode... jeez. Byaku Shin can be a bitch here!

However, the equipment obtained... man, WTF?! SO much broken.

Gear: Greater New World
- ATK +500 / TEC +100 / HP +15000 / SP +100 / Normal Attack Range + 1 / Multi-Attack Range +1 / Move +1 / Joins Counterattacks / Support Cross-Hit / Charge Bonus Damage +50%

Accessory: Urashima Special Ultimate Casket
- DEF +300 / DEX +100 / HP +15000 / SP +100 / Guards Against Special Attacks / Guards Against Multi-Attacks / Move +1 / Nullifies ZOC / Nullifies Counteratacks / HP Counter

And combining this new Gear with the Mind Ring = X & Zero with ATK 1543. ...Now I'm tempted to redo this Challenge in order to farm this equipment to everyone.

But surely not now, I need and will take a break from PXZ2, for a while.

Bladenic

On the beach level (stage 30?) I didn't collect that last item but the staged finished after I KOd the last enemy, did I miss something? Didn't collect the wandering lamp or whatever

Ilvocare

On the beach level (stage 30?) I didn't collect that last item but the staged finished after I KOd the last enemy, did I miss something? Didn't collect the wandering lamp or whatever

Yes but also no. Getting all of them
causes a bonus chest to spawn suddenly at the waterfall on the map. That chest contains a... special piece of armor. The reason I said 'but also no' is because it SHOULD be purchaseable post-mission. You'll know what it is because all three shopkeepers having unique dialogue for purchasing it from them.

It's a swimsuit.

That being said, maybe failing to satisfy that condition makes it not-gettable for the rest of the playthrough. Iunno...

Bladenic

Man, how they gonna have
the manor from the first game appear but not even a cameo from Mii and Kogoro beside them being mentioned?

L.O.R.D

is this reiji?

0b72f2d6251b5caa99e1002fa6a32837.jpg

//ARCANUM

Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but the game is currently $16.93 on Amazon. I'm definitely ordering a copy now.

Yeah I'm thinking about it too. I played like 5-10 hrs of the first game but didn't beat it. Should I try and beat that first? Or is it not really necessary? Is this one superior to the first?

//ARCANUM

Went ahead and grabbed it too. The price had been declining for days a penny at a time and was down to $16.31 or so. Just refreshed and it had gone up to $16.88! So looks like it might be on the rise again so I grabbed it.

OuterLimits

Yeah I'm thinking about it too. I played like 5-10 hrs of the first game but didn't beat it. Should I try and beat that first? Or is it not really necessary? Is this one superior to the first?

I haven't played the second one yet, but I don't think playing the first one is necessary. I'm about halfway through the first game and figured at $16 dollars, it was a good time to get the sequel. Also, the first game is now selling for $50 or more on Amazon, so perhaps the sequel also becomes rather pricey down the road.

Ilvocare

In order:
1. Not really but if you really like the characters exclusive to the first game then buckle yourself in for a game that's probably too big for sanity's sake.

2. Not necessary at all, the first game has a sprinkling of passing references at best, and there's some characters who know each other from their meeting in the first game that'll be familiar with each other in 2, but beyond that there's nothing too specific.

3. Absolutely. 2's so much better than 1 that going back to play 1 is kinda painful...

EDIT: Planning on jumping back into the NG+ soon, but before then I've got
LoZ OoT 3D and the Distorted Travesty series
to finish and maybe make LTTPs on.

sphinx

the piano man
I recently started this game and while I am liking it, it's basically "press A to win", I just finished Prologue 4, so I am very early in the game.

is that it or does the battle system have more depth later on??

also, how long is this game? can someone tell me how many prologue/chapters this game has?

and lastly, are there collectibles in the game and is there valuable missable stuff along the way?

thanks in advance whoever helps me out here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
you get better opportunity to use the stuff like timed crits later on when you reach the meat of the game

I forgot how many chapters this has though

also if you replay the game eventually it becomes harder and new game + has hard scenarios

Xhorder

I got the game this week on Amazon.co.uk for £17.80, which is about 21 Euro. So it seems they've discounted this in Europe too. I currently have a huge backlog of games to play, but I kind of want to check this out right now.

W-00

There are 40+ chapters in the game, not counting the prologues.

There are items you can collect scattered around some stages, but it's not a huge deal if you miss them. They'll become available in a store either after that chapter ends or after the next one ends, so you're just saving some money by collecting them.

Loona

I recently started this game and while I am liking it, it's basically "press A to win", I just finished Prologue 4, so I am very early in the game.

is that it or does the battle system have more depth later on??

It's primarily a matter of learning the timings of the attacks, working with the possible status effects, and trying to make sure support unit abilities don't overlap with the main team unit's to avoid waste.

The challenge stages which are unlocked on New Game+ can also be quite the puzzle, encouraging some resource optimization. I'm currently tackling the one filled with ninja units that will get behind your at every opportunity to try and land 1-hit kills, so positioning is really important there.

Bought this game a few weeks ago. It got some time to get used to the new features in combat but I've been loving the game so far. :D I like how you get characters like X and Chris so early in the game since in the previous one they were some of the last ones to join you. Upgrading abilities and techniques is an awesome addition too. And having three shopkeepers is nice as well!

Most memorable chapters so far: Segata's one!! Even though I never owned a Sega Saturn, when he showed up and started doing references and then every Sega character knew about him it made me sooo happy. Before playing the chapter I watched the Sakura's game commercial, so watching them do the same dance and saying the same things was amazing as well. And then their battle interactions god. <3 Phoenix's chapter that includes
freakin' EDGEWORTH!
is one of my favorites too. And the Resonance of Fate's chapters and the Burning Rangers one were so funny as well.

About the new characters: LOOOOOVE that Phoenix and Maya are in the game and their interactions with others <3 having Demitri and Morrigan fulfill the Magatama with magic power was a cool explanation for how they fight. I loved playing with Cap Commando and Strider in MvC so watching them here is great as well :'D Love Natsu too. June, Haseo, Hotsuma, Hibana, Ingrid (the jerk lol), Vergil, Fiora (spoilers?), Leon, Guy, Kage Maru, Kazuya, Aty and the Yakuzas are pretty fun as well. I don't really like Alicia's new design :/ and Nana and Ciel suuuuuuck. Ciel not su much, but oh god Nana. Her design, voice and Oden obsession are just annoying. Same thing about Felicia. Why didn't Soma and Lindow return? :( Ryo's pretty awesome and a nice guy though :D

I'm about to enter chapter 32, but I got confused by something: I thought Ichiro and Sakura loved each other in the first game? Their multiattack was about their love as well. But in this game where Ichiro is paired with Erica instead of Sakura, he appears to be in love with Erica too? Their multiattack is also strong about it lol and things got awkward in their chapter debut and in Segata's one as well. So what's up with Ichiro? And why is Gemini not in his harem? :p

W-00

I'm about to enter chapter 32, but I got confused by something: I thought Ichiro and Sakura loved each other in the first game? Their multiattack was about their love as well. But in this game where Ichiro is paired with Erica instead of Sakura, he appears to be in love with Erica too? Their multiattack is also strong about it lol and things got awkward in their chapter debut and in Segata's one as well. So what's up with Ichiro? And why is Gemini not in his harem? :p

The Sakura Taisen games were part SRPG/ part dating sim, so there were multiple romanceable ladies in each game. Sakura was one of the options the player (as Ichiro) could romance (and the main girl) but a later game had him head over to Paris and I believe Erica was the main girl in that game. How they explain it if Ichiro romances Erica after romancing another girl in the first game, I don't know. In Gemini's game, the player character was Ichiro's nephew, Shinjiro, so he's the guy Gemini likes.

Loona

Ogami shifting towards pairing with Erica might feel a bit weird, but it does give us jealous Sakura scenes, which are great - I really wish that mood of hers could be weaponized into an attack of status buff, not unlike how in SRW games adjacent characters in the map can get buffs depending on the relationship between them.
Anyway, when Sega's Jesus Segata Sanshiro is in the party and has some history with Sakura, Ogami is probably better off moving on.

Hibana's the character that perks my curiosity about her source game though, her assist attack has some efficient beauty to it that makes me wonder how action flows with her original control options...

sphinx

the piano man
ok so I made it so far to Chapter 9 and the difficulty ramped up a bit, the
Pyron
guy killed one of my units

also, I finally understood how to "connect" during fights. Apparently it's all about timing, after an initial attack you have to wait and then hit the button at the right time to connect the attack to make a critical, repeat for another cirtical and that was it, I am not sure whether solo units and support units can also connect to make a critical, since the animations get in the way off the gameplay I am not sure.

my main complain: there's waaaaay way way too much text and It can't be skipped and is completely useless, it adds nothing to the story, just empty lines from allthe randoms characters.

my second complain: this game is waaay to long,
it has 42 chapters, WHAT THE HELL, I feel like I am ready to move on to another game in 10 or so chapters, not sure I'll make it through.

any tips you people wanna give to a late arriver?

W-00

Take your time. Only play a chapter or two a day. Or even less often. I'm a huge fan of the series, but even I spaced out most of my sessions over the course of weeks (it was my go-to game for when I had nothing to do but wait for an appointment to be over (because I was just there as a driver)).

Loona

my main complain: there's waaaaay way way too much text and It can't be skipped and is completely useless, it adds nothing to the story, just empty lines from allthe randoms characters.

IIRC you can skip most text dialog with the start button - there's often charm and a wealth of obscure references there that can be amusing though.

my second complain: this game is waaay to long,
it has 42 chapters, WHAT THE HELL, I feel like I am ready to move on to another game in 10 or so chapters, not sure I'll make it through.

Sounds like good value for money, but one man's meat is another man's poison.

Some things the Challenge stages that unlock on the 2nd playthrough got me in the habit of doing:

* whenever possible, start your turns by using units that can place themselves directly behind an enemy for an attack, then do so for those that can attack from the side, then those who can attack at all, then place the remaining ones close enough to someone else as convenient, preferably adjacent to other characters to maximize assist attack possibilities.

* before attacking a tough opponent, make sure to try and apply Ally, Other or EX buffs from party members. One handy way to cycle through everyone's skills is to open the menu while the cursor is on a character, but without selecting them (so that the blue area where they can walk to isn't highlighted) - opening the Skill menu for a character this way lets you cycle through other characters' Skill menus. This can be pretty handy for heals, finding a team member with a handy skill like breaking through blocking, or enhancing EXP or CP gains.

sphinx

the piano man
I just wasted an hour of gameplay. on chapter 11, queen zenobia

I was supposed to disable 6 bombs so I sent one charaacter to each bomb, turns out the last one is protected by a clone of a character and I took just one turn too long to kill it.

it never seemed like the guy was going to protect and stand in front of the bomb until it was too late to send another character there.

can you guys who tell me of other chapters in which complete BULLSHIT like this will happen so I can go to a fucking FAQ and learn how to avoid it?

damn, I am so annoyed.

Ilvocare

I just wasted an hour of gameplay. on chapter 11, queen zenobia

I was supposed to disable 6 bombs so I sent one charaacter to each bomb, turns out the last one is protected by a clone of a character and I took just one turn too long to kill it.

it never seemed like the guy was going to protect and stand in front of the bomb until it was too late to send another character there.

can you guys who tell me of other chapters in which complete BULLSHIT like this will happen so I can go to a fucking FAQ and learn how to avoid it?

damn, I am so annoyed.

Personally, I'd recommend using the mid-battle save often but not TOO often. Sounds like you didn't even use it here. It's not like a Fire Emblem suspend, it's a hard mid-battle save usable anytime.

Like, that sucks, but I don't really think it's the game's fault in this scenario...

sphinx

the piano man
ok I made it past the next couple of chapters after the incident with the bombs so here three questions:

.- CPs are taking extremely long to get. Am I doing something wrong? can they be grinded somehow? every pair has like 5 different attakcs and each one can be upgraded via CPs but so far, after 10 or so Chapters I've been able to upgrade one attack of each pair 4 or 5 levels on each attack unit. is that supposed to be like that?

.- How can I do criticals on all those support/solo combos and the special attack? I do criticals often with normal attack chains with any 1 attack unit but I can't seem to understand how I can pull it off with the other attacks, there's always some cinematic getting on my way so that I can't check if I was too early or too late. Any way to learn that?

.- Cross X.. what exactly is this? 2 criticals at the same time or there's more to it?

Loona

.- CPs are taking extremely long to get. Am I doing something wrong? can they be grinded somehow? every pair has like 5 different attakcs and each one can be upgraded via CPs but so far, after 10 or so Chapters I've been able to upgrade one attack of each pair 4 or 5 levels on each attack unit. is that supposed to be like that?
Maxing out everyone's CPs on the 1st playthrough doesn't seem viable, but there are passive skill you can set on some pair units and assists to bump the odds, as well as menu skills you can set during a map.

A 2nd playthough gives you more opportunities to max out everything by playing through the challenge stages unlocked then.

The way I've prioritized is
C attacks > B attacks > A attacks > assist attacks > single-target supers -> map supers
That way the odds of using them are roughly accounted for, and the weaker attacks get to be a bit stronger and trigger their status effects more.

.- How can I do criticals on all those support/solo combos and the special attack? I do criticals often with normal attack chains with any 1 attack unit but I can't seem to understand how I can pull it off with the other attacks, there's always some cinematic getting on my way so that I can't check if I was too early or too late. Any way to learn that?

Super trigger in the exact moment you press Y, so just do that right before they hit the ground - it's a big trickier to figure out with the bigger enemies sometimes, but once you press it the screen just automatically places the enemy on the ground so the animation can proceed in a standard way, but if the timing's right you'll get criticals.

.- Cross X.. what exactly is this? 2 criticals at the same time or there's more to it?

I think it triggers from simultaneous hits from assist and main units (also some pair assists if they have the right skill set, IIRC) - that holds enemies in place, and if I'm not mistaken, a strong enough attack to break that state will deal considerably more damage than it normally would.

BOTEC

I just got this game over the weekend on a whim. I really liked PXZ1, but didn't necessarily need more of it. Turns out I was wrong, game is great so far (still real early). One thing I noticed is the writing is better/funnier than the first game? Am I crazy? I feel like the stuff Xiaomu in particular has been saying is internet/otaku/gold so far. And that bunny girl is... man... Do we know who localized this game?

I just got this game over the weekend on a whim. I really liked PXZ1, but didn't necessarily need more of it. Turns out I was wrong, game is great so far (still real early). One thing I noticed is the writing is better/funnier than the first game? Am I crazy? I feel like the stuff Xiaomu in particular has been saying is internet/otaku/gold so far. And that bunny girl is... man... Do we know who localized this game?
Yes it overall has better writing and more jokes thrown into it. It just had a better localization than PXZ 1 did. The music is much better as well. I finished it earlier this week after randomly dropping it back in March for some reason. The game felt much less of a chore to play. I have high hopes for another sequel hopefully.

Vorg

Banned
Bought this last month after trying the demo. I love the game. It's not a hard game but the fan service is amazing. And man, those attack animations! The writing is pretty funny too. Just finished chapter 10 and having a great time. I just wish I had more time to play.

sphinx

the piano man
so what's the best way to spend CPs?

I am basically maxing one attack for every pair, spreading the points around sounds like a bad idea, since all attacks will remain weak.

after I max one attack I am considering buying skills, would that be a good idea?

BOTEC

I am basically maxing one attack for every pair, spreading the points around sounds like a bad idea, since all attacks will remain weak.

after I max one attack I am considering buying skills, would that be a good idea?

I spread out the power ups evenly, sequentially going down the list powering up each move one by one, and I'm having no problems wrecking fools. This game feel easier than the first. Or at least they don't throw too many overpowered enemies at you at once.

Ilvocare

Personally, spreading out your CP so that your attacks stay up-to-date is the best way to play. Focusing on only one attack not only robs you of the charge attack bonus by never giving that attack a turn to charge, but watching only one attack animation out of 8 must be SUPER boring. Remember that multi attacks, supers, and support attacks are also boostable!

Not to mention, the game is so easy that there's not really a WRONG way to win the first playthrough. That being said... having your bases covered for NG+ and the challenge stages WILL be important.

Loona

I've tended to buy skills first, especially if they're very likely to trigger and/or generally useful and I can fit them in the available ability slots, primarily because once they're equipped they're available and useful forever, then spend money on attacks, from weakest to strongest, and more frequent to least frequent (general attacks -> assist attacks -> individual supers -> MAP supers).

sphinx

the piano man
mmh, someone please explain something to me.

I am in my 2nd playthrough around chapter 25 and I wanted to try Advance mode...it says it will take effect "on my next playthrough"....do I have to play all the way and start a 3rd playthrough?

then there's SP advanced... but that's blocked, how and when can I use it? on a 4th playthrough after beatinng the game in advance?

Ilvocare

mmh, someone please explain something to me.

I am in my 2nd playthrough around chapter 25 and I wanted to try Advance mode...it says it will take effect "on my next playthrough"....do I have to play all the way and start a 3rd playthrough?

then there's SP advanced... but that's blocked, how and when can I use it? on a 4th playthrough after beatinng the game in advance?

Far as I can tell, those blurbs aren't actually true. Switching difficulties is, in practice, instantaneous.

SP Advanced is literally just Advanced mode but you get way more resources from defeating enemies. It's a DLC exclusive difficulty, as far as I can tell.

cj_iwakura

Finally started it up, love how brisk the prologues are compared to the first. Seems to hit the ground running.

Love all the NxC music too.

Top Bottom