• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

cj_iwakura

3jt1PDh.png

• Developer: Monolithsoft
  • Publisher: Bandai Namco
  • Platforms: 3DS / Nintendo E-shop
  • Genre: Strategy/Action RPG
  • Price: $39.99 [US] | £26.99 [UK]

Lks6hrP.png

Project X Zone 2 takes place two years after the previous game.

Only Reiji, Xiaomu, and characters from dozens of other titles can stop Saya from being a world-dominating psychopath. Yet again.

5hT75ko.png

(Playable)

w7QmsYm.png

XusoC59.png

RbK5iA1.png

XnVjSE1.png

LK84Bx2.png

BzFU6PS.png

svbFHQ9.png

sBstbFT.png

Hn7gTEl.png

slkaceD.png

qwxUHA9.png

4DJx6ps.jpg
hjzyNuZ.jpg

ewwP23L.jpg
Fovm8Hz.jpg

jpFv11m.jpg
yFPEc5J.jpg

Comic Con Trailer

Massive JP Preview

TGS Trailer

Project X Zone 1 OT

RgAOlgG.png

Metacritic (77)

Destructoid (85) said:
I don't know if this is the work of the localization team or the original scenario writers of the game, but gone is the disjointed structure of Project X Zone and here is an easy-to-follow storyline that even people who are totally unfamiliar with the series will be able to understand.

Nintendo Life (80) said:
All in all, Project X Zone 2 is an enjoyable experience that improves upon some faults present in its predecessor, while adding in some interesting new features.

Worth Playing (75) said:
Project X Zone 2 is an improvement over the original game in a lot of ways but still maintains some of its fundamental flaws.

Game Informer (68) said:
Project X Zone 2 gets a lot of mileage out of its huge cast. Characters interactions stand out where storytelling falls apart; seeing everyone’s impressive animations keeps combat alive when things get tedious, but the total package isn’t consistently interesting.

Special Thanks
Z1dkeIh.gif

BlackJace for banners, as always.

Nintendo/Sega/Namco/Capcom, for somehow once again localizing this crazy series.

Monolithsoft for loving endless waves of enemies. Never change.

You for buying this wacky game.

and Reiji and Xiaomu, kicking ass for 10 years+ and counting.

1IRpqnn.jpg

Here's to ten more, you crazy lovebirds.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yay it's here! I wish I had my copy but hopefully today will be the day! Gotta mine out all the .hack info!

Genre: Strategy RPG
Is it really the case this time? The last game involved like 0 strategy which I was quite fine with honestly! The demo was also kinda a fun free for fall until like Clear +8 anyways.

Andyliini

Banpresto developed this? I was always under the impression that this was done by MonolithSoft. I didn't even see Banpresto logo in the demo when I played it. Also, UK-price seems to be a bit "inflated".

cj_iwakura

Banpresto developed this? I was always under the impression that this was done by MonolithSoft. I didn't even see Banpresto logo in the demo when I played it. Also, UK-price seems to be a bit "inflated".

I got it from Amazon, I can update it if someone knows the correct pricing. And Banpresto were involved with the first, assumed they were on this too... I can fix that if I'm wrong.

Het_Nkik

Yeah, I started up the demo, it said Monolith Soft. Wikipedia says Monolith Soft. I'm confused.

Andyliini

I got it from Amazon, I can update it if someone knows the correct pricing. And Banpresto were involved with the first, assumed they were on this too... I can fix that if I'm wrong.

Amazon UK seems to have the title at £26.99. Can't say about the developer for sure, as I haven't yet played the main game yet, but the demo certainly had no mention of Banpresto.

cj_iwakura

Amazon UK seems to have the title at £26.99. Can't say about the developer for sure, as I haven't yet played the main game yet, but the demo certainly had no mention of Banpresto.

Fixed, thanks.
I was looking at a link for PXZ1. Whoops.

My copy came today. I'm worried if I start this without having finished the first yet all the improvements will make it even more difficult to go back.

Anyone else who hasn't got their DLC code from Amazon yet ?

Also how far through the game do you have to be to use the DLC menu/Streerpass for this ?

Great official thread. I may pick this up sometime within the next month or so if I am not busy. I got a damn backlog though :( Good to know that we get KOS-MOS at chapter 6. Pretty much the only reason I bought the first is because she's my favourite video game character.

aw yiss. Nice |OT| OP.

X posting:
Downloaded the game when it hit the eshop at 11 and been playing it. Got my physical copy from GameStop a couple of hours ago.

HfkGkkt.jpg

And a bonus pic

OSo3mTy.jpg

Excuse the terrible quality, my phone is garbage. But in case you can't tell what the games are:
Namco X Capcom
Endless Frontier
Endless Frontier EXCEED
EXCEED special edition above
Project X Zone special edition (JP)
Project X Zone limited edition
Project X Zone 2: Brave New World Original Game Sound Edition
Project X Zone 2

Lets get sweaty.

cj_iwakura

While I'm glad the story is apparently tighter and focuses on just Reiji and Xiaomu, it's kind of sad to see the other OCs tossed into the dumpster. I liked the new MCs in PxZ1, not to mention TEXAS HOLDEM himself.

QIULULE.jpg

1337Sauce

Never played the first game, but have this one coming in the mail tomorrow. Is it worth it watching all the dialogue scenes from the first game? Or is the plot relatively simple and self-contained?

cj_iwakura

Never played the first game, but have this one coming in the mail tomorrow. Is it worth it watching all the dialogue scenes from the first game? Or is the plot relatively simple and self-contained?

For the plot, no. God no. It barely has one, just a lot of witty writing.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Tempted, but I just gave up on the first one for devolving into a tedious drag, the thrill of unlocking new characters eventually growing thin when I finally got X and Zero.

On the other hand, this game has the Altered Beast Centurion in it...so...

For the plot, no. God no. It barely has one, just a lot of witty writing.

Somewhat, but I also thought it got a bit weird and somewhat, uh, misogynistic too. Like all the male characters basically harassed the women and it weirded me out, especially when even Ryu I recall was getting in on it.

Jhoan

I put roughly 27 hours into the first game before I deleted it from my 3DS because enemies became health sponges and I didn't want to slog through another several hours to get X and Zero. Plus the boob and ass animations made me cringe hard. I skipped through most of the dialogue since I stopped giving a hoot about the story.

I will get this game in the near future when there's a B2G1 Free sale because this is the only game where Segata Sanshiro will ever be playable and the improvements in this game sound solid. Plus It warms my heart that Resonance of Fate gets a nice shout out in this game as well since I love that game so much. The addition of Yakuza, Shenmue, and Phoenix Wright are great. It's a shame that several characters got cut from the first game though rather than building upon it.

@CragMan241, dat dedication!

So does this have a first print run with extras like the first one? I pre-ordered on Amazon way back and forgot all about it until I saw this thread.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Question, some of those characters look like Namco X Capcom characters(saw that badass opening like 10 years ago, is this in anyway related to that?

Also, glad to see Xiao is in

cj_iwakura

Question, some of those characters look like Namco X Capcom characters(saw that badass opening like 10 years ago, is this in anyway related to that?

Also, glad to see Xiao is in

The same two MCs. They were also in SRT OG Saga Endless Frontier and PxZ1. They've become the de facto crossover mascots.

Saya was the big bad in NxC, and she still stalks Reiji everywhere.

Loona

Is it really the case this time? The last game involved like 0 strategy which I was quite fine with honestly! The demo was also kinda a fun free for fall until like Clear +8 anyways.

On the maps positioning matters a lot more now, and for combat moves you don't use are powered up for later, so there a few more choices at work than before.

The demo's difficulty escalation on repeated playthroughs kinda encourages being careful with your choices, especially by the 3rd stage on the 7th+ playthrough.

Ultimately the pull of the game is in its writing and fitting references and crossover interactions, but it's nice to see the actual game factor get some more meat on its bones.

Wise words for anyone playing this or any SRPG like this, really: a chapter a day keeps the tedium away.

Years of playing SRW has given me a greater than average resistance to these types of games I guess =p

I got my game last friday and played up to chapter 7 over the weekend. I like that units become available at a good pace and the skill upgrade system is highly addictive. And of course the fan service is top notch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Made it through the prologue chapters & did Ch. 1 yesterday. Hope to do a few more later today.

I will say this, it feels MUCH more tactical now as it's a lot harder to get the CROSS to activate now. I've figured it out for a few characters, but even then, for the most part, you can't just spam everyone at once.

& there's a free thing of DLC where you get a few items, but everything else is paid. Just item packs & one "SP Advanced" mode.

Ryuukan

glad to see there's an OT but man if you're going to say shit like this

Only get one chance to make a first impression. And I really don't like slapdash OTs.

and claim this OT as soon as the game was announced, try to put some more effort into it

There's nothing in the op about how the game is played, you're shoving in Japanese screenshots for the western launch, and you're copying in posts from other gaffers that were only there because you were late getting this up. Focus on the content to show off the game before you jump to the quirky gifs and callbacks.

The publisher is Bandai Namco btw

Skulldead

2 Quick question here :

- Does the game is harder then previous entry ?

- No limited edition/First print this time ?

I just saw character from Resonance of Fate !! sweet

Alastor3

I played the shit of Endless Frontier and really loved it. I didn't played the first PXZ, should I go with it or start with the second game? Is the story the sequel? Since there is a lot of combat and a lot of the same characters from the first game, I don't know if it's going to burn me down

STHX

- Does the game is harder then previous entry ?

I feel the game is easier compared to the first. This is one of the reasons why the game doesn't drag as much so it's not all bad. The biggest change that makes the game easier in my opinion are the stackable buffs, they are way to broken when you understand how to use them.
The later chapters get harder anyway and enemy supers can easily ko your units even on the first playthrough, especially if they get a back attack

- No limited edition/First print this time ?

Nope, and no advertising of any type either. Here in italy barely anyone know the game is out.

I played the shit of Endless Frontier and really loved it. I didn't played the first PXZ, should I go with it or start with the second game? Is the story the sequel? Since there is a lot of combat and a lot of the same characters from the first game, I don't know if it's going to burn me down

The story is standalone and events from the first game are barely mentioned, the only continuity in the series is that characters who already appeared in PXZ1 or NxC already know each other, but that's it

Huh, didn't know Sylphie was turned into Mirabelle.

This is actually a neat throwback to the manual of the MD port of Forgotten Worlds, where, despite the game referring to the character as Sylphie, the manual called her Mirabelle. The crosspedia entry also mentions that Sylphie often changes names.

Loona

There's some light continuity between the titles, but the crossover references seem more tightly knit in PXZ2 than in PXZ1, closer to the spirit of Namco X Capcom where everything and everyone was more connected. You probably won't lose much from jumping straight to PXZ2, but it'll probably make it harder to try PXZ1 later due to a comparatively less developed gameplay, not to mention PXZ1's originals - then again, I didn't get to play Endless Frontier, so maybe I missed something interesting along the way that would have made me enjoy PXZ1 more - I did recognize Kaguya using Suzuka's dance as an attack though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This is actually a neat throwback to the manual of the MD port of Forgotten Worlds, where, despite the game referring to the character as Sylphie, the manual called her Mirabelle. The crosspedia entry also mentions that Sylphie often changes names.

Yeah I just realized, and after the chapter she changed her name to Sylphie lol

Top Bottom