• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

Ilvocare

While I'm glad the story is apparently tighter and focuses on just Reiji and Xiaomu, it's kind of sad to see the other OCs tossed into the dumpster. I liked the new MCs in PxZ1, not to mention TEXAS HOLDEM himself.

QIULULE.jpg

;_;

Honestly, the loss of SRWOG in general is the one huge negative for me in this. Mii and Kogoro, on the other hand, I don't feel NEARLY as bad for losing them, considering how LITTLE there was to them beyond their style. If they were to come back, it should be as side characters where they actually get development...

Bladenic

While I'm glad the story is apparently tighter and focuses on just Reiji and Xiaomu, it's kind of sad to see the other OCs tossed into the dumpster. I liked the new MCs in PxZ1, not to mention TEXAS HOLDEM himself.

QIULULE.jpg

Wait so Haken and Kaguya are definitely out? FUUUUUUCKKKK THAT

squall23

aw yiss. Nice |OT| OP.

X posting:

Lets get sweaty.
2nd picture would look better by adding OGs, OGG, and OG2nd. Maybe even with the GBA OGs as well!
;_;

Honestly, the loss of SRWOG in general is the one huge negative for me in this. Mii and Kogoro, on the other hand, I don't feel NEARLY as bad for losing them, considering how LITTLE there was to them beyond their style. If they were to come back, it should be as side characters where they actually get development...
Wait so Haken and Kaguya are definitely out? FUUUUUUCKKKK THAT
We will never play one of these games with a Sanger and Ratsel pair. Why even live?

Loona

Mii and Kogoro, on the other hand, I don't feel NEARLY as bad for losing them, considering how LITTLE there was to them beyond their style. If they were to come back, it should be as side characters where they actually get development...

If they ever return, they'd better be separated - Kogoro got creepy as hell as times, considering he was supposed to be her tutor - and he was bad at that too, since their skillsets were completely different anyway.
Their concepts were all over the place as well, so they barely worked as individual characters (rich ojousama/cheerleader/monk/gunslinger + private detective/ninja/tutor/walking Sun Wukong reference/perv), let alone as a team.

I read Mii gets referenced as a Shinra apprentice in PXZ2, so maybe if there's a PXZ3 she'll pair up with Urashima as a team of Shinra gadgeteers - I certainly hope by then they let us make our own teams though, it seems perfectly possible to use the A button for one character's attacks and B for the other's, which could allow for more freeform combos, with Y for supers for specific team-ups.

jorgeton

Still in the prologue, but it's a lot of fun. It's pretty hilarious too. Only downside is that there is a lot of chatter, and when it's not being witty or winking at the player, it can get a little boring.

The graphics are a touch better, but holy crap the soundtrack is so goddamn good. Some chiptune bangers up in here. If Yuzo Koshiro really did the whole OST, he is channeling his early 90's dance era. Pleasantly surprised.

Seik

Banned
I need to finish the first one before my copy arrives on Monday.

It's been a while since I last played, missions became a bit repetitive after a while, so I stopped. After all this time I should be good for another round. :p

zhixson

QIULULE.jpg

Damn. I really liked these two. I need to play through Endless Frontier at some point. It's just sitting there on my shelf.
I think it may be a bootleg, though. Sigh.

Ilvocare

Damn. I really liked these two. I need to play through Endless Frontier at some point. It's just sitting there on my shelf.

If it's the real one, go for it. EF was so pleasantly surprising for me in terms of what I was expecting from it that it's one of my favorite DS games.

We will never play one of these games with a Sanger and Ratsel pair. Why even live?

I refuse to believe that can't happen.

If they ever return, they'd better be separated - Kogoro got creepy as hell as times, considering he was supposed to be her tutor - and he was bad at that too, since their skillsets were completely different anyway.
Their concepts were all over the place as well, so they barely worked as individual characters (rich ojousama/cheerleader/monk/gunslinger + private detective/ninja/tutor/walking Sun Wukong reference/perv), let alone as a team.

I read Mii gets referenced as a Shinra apprentice in PXZ2, so maybe if there's a PXZ3 she'll pair up with Urashima as a team of Shinra gadgeteers - I certainly hope by then they let us make our own teams though, it seems perfectly possible to use the A button for one character's attacks and B for the other's, which could allow for more freeform combos, with Y for supers for specific team-ups.

All I know is in PXZ2 the Koryuji holdings have only been referenced as the thing that made the Dragonturtle possible through cash. I actually interpreted that as an in-lore explanation for PXZ2's customization improvements as being owed strictly to PXZ1's sales.

I don't miss Mii or Kogoro one bit. Kaguya and Harken on the other hand is a damn shame to lose, along with Sanger.

Also, this music should be in the OP. It may be Namco x Capcom's theme but it is still quite possibly one of the best game OP theme's ever created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtGmFFbc2-k

And yes, I am still bitter NA/EU didn't get the Original Sound Version of the game. This song would be playing everytime I select Reiji/Xiaomu.

managed to pick up my copy, but I have a question before I get a chance to start it, what's the recommended number times should I clear the demo for the bonuses?

kagamin

It sounds like Reiji and Xiaomu's theme in this game is a remix of the Endless Frontier version of their theme. :p

NeonZ

The character interaction in this game is much better than in Project X Zone. There they threw the cast together too quickly in the prologue stages, only the ones popping up later seemed to get any decent build up in dialogue, and it took half of the game before they started doing interesting events aside from character introductions.

PxZ 2 so far seems to handle all that much better. The way they handled the chapter with Strider and the others really showed an evolution compared with how the handled similar time messes in the first game's introduction.

are the bonus equips from the demo eventually buyable? I only got 2 out of 3 and i dont even want to equip them early because they seem too powerful, but I don't want to have missed out on the third one if I can not get it in the actual game

fernoca

Amazon finally shipped my copy. Got the theme and bonus pack codes too.

And now to wait.

Wasn't aware of the demo giving bonuses so been playing that.

Ilvocare

are the bonus equips from the demo eventually buyable? I only got 2 out of 3 and i dont even want to equip them early because they seem too powerful, but I don't want to have missed out on the third one if I can not get it in the actual game

I want to say yes, if only because the demo equips have a sell price, and DLC does not because the equipment from DLC can't really be gotten in-game. That's my assumption, at any rate.

septicore

Been playing this for a while now because AU/EU got it a bit earlier.

The game is so much easier than PXZ1, I'm just before Chapter 20 with about 18 hours on my save file.

Enjoying it so far, doesn't feel like a drag to play like PXZ1.

Edit:

Sakura and Segata in chapter 20, so good.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gemini's outta control with the puns and Sheath? omg. Now imagine them as a pair unit... @_@;

Got some .hack and Sakura Wars love earlier than in the first game which I'm real cool with! Just under 2 hours an up past Chapter 1 until my 3ds said "max brightness is bad plz charge now". Thought I'd be able to simply walk over those familiar gold sparklies in the Tales of Fire Emblem field but smashing them is fine too!

Sucks how some attacks'll straight up demolish a baddie since that means less combo exp/xp/gold stuff. Chris & Jills regular attack isn't combo friendly either unless I'm doing some wrong cause even on crits it'll make the baddie touch the ground an reset the counter.

EYEL1NER

Game looks great, has some cool new characters like the Yakuza crew, and I'll buy any game with Morrigan in it, but I can't get myself hyped about buying this right now. When I saw the announcement a while back and was told it was being localized, I was over the moon. But I took a rather long hiatus from playing my 3DS, which meant I didn't touch PXZ for a while. I just started playing it again and thought I had to be near the ending; I mean, the battles are taking so much longer now that I feel like I have sunk a ton of hours in and all that happens is they just ratchet up the HP on the enemies. I am on Chapter 24. I just beat Chapter 23 and it drug on and on, even with the round timer. My hurry to finish it before the timer was up made me panic and use damn-near all of my items too. I looked up a mission list online though and it turns out I am not even 2/3 of the way through the story. Damn.

So I will be watching the OT and looking for people's impressions of it but it will be a while before I pick this up, I think.

Shirke

If you can, try getting the sequel EXCEED, it was never localised though, but the gameplay improvements to the original Endless Frontier are amazing. Makes the original downright arthritic and clunky, plus there are some aspects of the battle system that are still even better than Project X Zone.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm at the part where you meet the Stehony goblins again (you remember, those yellow goblins that stole the key in Makai in PxZ1 where you have to chase them?)

it's just not the same with Demitri just doing the gob-gob joke, I miss Batsu and Haken :(

MSMrRound

Pro:

Support characters feels a lot more viable. Liking P.Wright and Natsu for now (since P. Wright pretty much can wear down the block gauge with barely any effort and Natsu's for consistently landing stuns for my Strider/Hotsuma pair to land high damage).

Cons:

Dunno if it is just me...but enemies feel more...easily perishable. If I miss the timing on crit hits and they gently touch the ground, they will just explode in a puff of smoke. Goodbye combos! PxZ1's enemies feels more..."bouncable?" Heck, if you use some characters like Ingrid or Kazuma Kiryu, they straight up have moves that smashes the enemy right into the floor. If your enemy HP is at zero, forget about any combo extender..

Also...I'm currently at chapter 12-ish, are my attacks supposed to be limited to three attack inputs, even though some of my characters learnt a 4th normal attack?

Loona

Also...I'm currently at chapter 12-ish, are my attacks supposed to be limited to three attack inputs, even though some of my characters learnt a 4th normal attack?

That way you can always save a powered up move for the next time.

I pretty much only use my under-A-rank moves when they're powered up, and then stick with A moves, and if I have multiple As, I try to leave one for the following round even if that means repeating another A.

Ilvocare

Pro:

Support characters feels a lot more viable. Liking P.Wright and Natsu for now (since P. Wright pretty much can wear down the block gauge with barely any effort and Natsu's for consistently landing stuns for my Strider/Hotsuma pair to land high damage).

Cons:

Dunno if it is just me...but enemies feel more...easily perishable. If I miss the timing on crit hits and they gently touch the ground, they will just explode in a puff of smoke. Goodbye combos! PxZ1's enemies feels more..."bouncable?" Heck, if you use some characters like Ingrid or Kazuma Kiryu, they straight up have moves that smashes the enemy right into the floor. If your enemy HP is at zero, forget about any combo extender..

Yeah, solo units are finally doing respectable damage. Thank god.

What you're listing as cons were deliberate choices to speed up the game from the first one. If you're worried about those attacks ending your combo, then use them as finishers when you don't have a special attack ready.

And yeah, 3 attacks per fight is now your hard limit. You're gonna need to utilize Solo, Support, and Special attacks to extend combos. Also look into Mirage Cancel specialization: if you use the right skills, you'll sneak a fourth attack in ON TOP of the rest.

so is the general strategy to do moves one by one trying to land criticals by hitting at the right timing before they land? Support and solo unit attacks included?

Is it ever really a good idea to throw out multiple attacks at once unless you really know specific times it is appropriate?

MSMrRound

Is it ever really a good idea to throw out multiple attacks at once unless you really know specific times it is appropriate?

I'm having a really tough time landing those "Cross!" attacks, since the timeframe is so much shorter and doesn't last for long. I typically only sneak some of those in if the character's using some holding skill e.g enemy encased in ice aka Fiora/Kos-Mos 3rd attack, or P.Wright's.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If you want the classic Cross, there are some characters with that skill. I think Chris/Jill learns Quick Attack (nullifies Cross Break).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Natsu: "My moves takes ass & kicks names!"

The references in this continue to be amazing.

Holy crap, Strider's SP Attack seems to be a recreation of the one from UMvC3, even ending with him landing away from the opponent in the same camera angle.

They picked like the worst week imaginable to release this, didn't they?

Probably. Just a month later would have been significantly better 'cause I feel like this year so far has been swarming with games.
Doesn't help at ALL that what is probably the game's biggest competition in the west is coming out just days after and most of the audience that would be here for PxZ is focused on Fire Emblem.

jorgeton

Yeah, terrible timing. I have no interest in fire emblem but I can see a lot more people choosing that over this.

Finally met Sheath. LOL. Had me cracking up on the subway.

Top Bottom