• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I take it Aty is the Neneko replacement? I like her theme, its real pleasant. Weird how they're talking about Shenmue events as if they were going on in the present day since that stuff was like in the 80's not the 2010's. With so much time shenanigans going on is there even an official year this games taking place in?

Aside from the battle system changes, stage hazards really shake up the gameplay. Chapter 7's hazards for instance are dangerous and clever!

Probably. Just a month later would have been significantly better 'cause I feel like this year so far has been swarming with games.
Or in late June like the first one. No competition there but then I have been sitting around for 5 more months obsessively waiting for it >.<;

Savitar

I got FE coming too but I still need to play through the first game than this one. It's already on it's way.

Oh my backlog!

One thing I noticed during the end of chapter 4 when Aty is using the Evocation Gate to send everyone back, it plays different music from the Japanese version of the game. Originally, it played the orchestral version of PXZ2's OP. Now it's music from Summon Night 3.

Should I beat the first game before this? I have both but never got to finish the first one. This week is too crazy with this, SFV and FE:F released in the same damn week.....goodbye weekend basically.

Halabane

Game is funny.
Its fun.
Visually is nice.
Music is good.
Story is fine.

BUT I have no idea what I am doing other than mashing buttons during battles. Yeah its strategic in that you move on a grid and you want to get behind and there are some decision like counter and stuff but when it comes to the battle mechs so far its just mashing. Not sure if its just part of the humor of the game or not.

kagamin

Yes. Yes it is.

Haken and Kaguya carried the last game for me, happy to see the game is good on its own merits this time. ;) After playing Endless Frontier its been hard to get used to the combo timings for this game I have to say, I'm getting better again though.

Game is funny.
Its fun.
Visually is nice.
Music is good.
Story is fine.

BUT I have no idea what I am doing other than mashing buttons during battles. Yeah its strategic in that you move on a grid and you want to get behind and there are some decision like counter and stuff but when it comes to the battle mechs so far its just mashing. Not sure if its just part of the humor of the game or not.

Going for crits is the first thing that comes to mind.

fernoca

Game is funny.
Its fun.
Visually is nice.
Music is good.
Story is fine.

Yep. That's how I play and I liked the first, the demo of this and waiting for my copy to arrive.

-Enjoy the interaction between characters
-Enjoy the music and sprites
-Move characters on the map
-Create strategies around said characters and their position
-Attack
-Mash buttons to lower the life and press L or R to call any other

XD

Vitacat

Yep. That's how I play and I liked the first, the demo of this and waiting for my copy to arrive.

-Enjoy the interaction between characters
-Enjoy the music and sprites
-Move characters on the map
-Create strategies around said characters and their position
-Attack
-Mash buttons to lower the life and press L or R to call any other

XD

Good summary. Sometimes I do wish the actual fights had more moves, but basically all there is timing hits to juggle and using different attacks to take off hit points. I think we all play this game for the crazy fan service fun -- as a game it's nothing special, and we know that. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they know they love the games represented and are familiar with the games culture it reflects.

Good summary. Sometimes I do wish the actual fights had more moves, but basically all there is timing hits to juggle and using different attacks to take off hit points. I think we all play this game for the crazy fan service fun -- as a game it's nothing special, and we know that. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they know they love the games represented and are familiar with the games culture it reflects.

It's too bad they got rid of the forced evasion mechanics from the Endless Frontier games, where an enemy would have a chance of straight up ending your attack if you lost your combo. It gave you a reason to actually get your juggling down. The most you do here is time crits, as I mentioned above.

Semi-related: Has anyone found a good reason to use Mirage Cancel? I've hardly used it so far.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
About three hours in and the game is grabbing a lot faster than the first one. The story gets moving a lot faster without obsessing over introducing new characters to the same extent. Sheath is funny. =p

STHX

Should I beat the first game before this? I have both but never got to finish the first one. This week is too crazy with this, SFV and FE:F released in the same damn week.....goodbye weekend basically.

The story from the first game doesn't really matter in the second, so if you want you can jump directly to PXZ2. The only thing is that characters from the first game already know each other in the second, but that's it, it's a standalone story.

Weird how they're talking about Shenmue events as if they were going on in the present day since that stuff was like in the 80's not the 2010's. With so much time shenanigans going on is there even an official year this games taking place in?

Yeah characters mentioning that they knew Ryo's father or a Chun-Li knowing about the Chinese mafia involvement was pretty weird considering the timings don't match up whatsoever.
It's okay though! I'll take whatever convoluted, incorrect timeline they throw at me as long as Ryo gets to be part of the game :D

The Solo Characters get to be pretty strong!
Ryo for example has his moves levelled up about halfway and he's hitting 500+ per hit on criticals.

It's too bad they got rid of the forced evasion mechanics from the Endless Frontier games, where an enemy would have a chance of straight up ending your attack if you lost your combo. It gave you a reason to actually get your juggling down. The most you do here is time crits, as I mentioned above.

Semi-related: Has anyone found a good reason to use Mirage Cancel? I've hardly used it so far.

I used it once by mistake then got a little confused. I'd already forgotten it existed.
50XP for a (basically) guaranteed critical (100XP if you miss) isn't bad if you're using your super move though (which now thankfully register every hit as a critical strike).
Maybe I should us it more...

Yeah characters mentioning that they knew Ryo's father or a Chun-Li knowing about the Chinese mafia involvement was pretty weird considering the timings don't match up whatsoever.
It's okay though! I'll take whatever convoluted, incorrect timeline they throw at me as long as Ryo gets to be part of the game :D

The Solo Characters get to be pretty strong!
Ryo for example has his moves levelled up about halfway and he's hitting 500+ per hit on criticals.

I used it once by mistake then got a little confused. I'd already forgotten it existed.
50XP for a (basically) guaranteed critical (100XP if you miss) isn't bad if you're using your super move though (which now thankfully register every hit as a critical strike).
Maybe I should us it more...

Super crits are incredibly easy to hit even without it though. On that note, the +35% damage for criticals spirit command is nuts.

Enjolras

Neo Member
If it weren't for Bravely Second coming out next week, I'd have this already - why do I have to be so cheap in February? Glad to hear that it's a lot more coherent than the first game, I really stopped caring about the story towards the end because I had no idea what was going on.

(To be honest, I'm still gutted at losing my Valkyria Chronicles 3 characters from this series, even if I get Ace Attorney in exchange.)

Guys, the thing about mirage cancels is that they also give you back an attack, so you do one, mirage cancel, then you can still do three attacks

"Ryo remember your fathers words: "Be attitude for gains!"

Man a lot of Xiaomu's references go over my head, but the ones I do catch are golden!
Her nods and Sheath's mangled English are really well done.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I realized this is the proper way of bringing over Xiaomu, since apparently her original Japanese dialog are obscure Japanese references.

Bladenic

Man it feels so good to hear Ring a Bell. Love it. The remix of Ride the Tiger is also amazing.

Edit: "Let's call for our friends"
"What's her name? Wasn't there some pirate girl?"

LMAO

Man, this game is actually a lot of fun. I thought I was going to find the character interactions to be grating, but it's actually a lot of fun seeing all these characters from different genres being shocked at how other people act.

I've got the basic combat stuff down, but I'm not too sure when it's best to call the the L/R button supports. It seems like it's pretty difficult to get them to crit, and calling them in while my main characters are attacking makes it really easy to mess up the placement of the enemy and cause a lot of attacks to miss. Any tips about when to use those? Also, is there any cost for using them? The characters paired with a solo character seem to basically get an extra attack for free, if I understand it right?

jorgeton

Man, this game is actually a lot of fun. I thought I was going to find the character interactions to be grating, but it's actually a lot of fun seeing all these characters from different genres being shocked at how other people act.

I've got the basic combat stuff down, but I'm not too sure when it's best to call the the L/R button supports. It seems like it's pretty difficult to get them to crit, and calling them in while my main characters are attacking makes it really easy to mess up the placement of the enemy and cause a lot of attacks to miss. Any tips about when to use those? Also, is there any cost for using them? The characters paired with a solo character seem to basically get an extra attack for free, if I understand it right?

You can use the support attacks (L/R) once per a team's turn. So it's a use it or lose it type of deal every time. I don't think you can call in another team (L attack) when you're counter attacking, but you can call in your solo unit.

Timing-wise, I like calling in the solo support during an attack before the enemy bounces off to the wall of the left, that way you get the Cross bonus, and have them suspended in the air for a moment. Right then is when I call in the other team (L) for max damage.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Depends on the solo unit. I like using Heihachi right after the first wall bounce, while Phoenix is almost right after I use him. That's part of figuring out PxZ, which solo units work with which team for maximum damage.

Loona

We missed out on the levels of innuendo the otherwise impossible combo of Morrigan + Dante + Bayonetta could provide, expanded reactions to what we saw between Bayo and Pit in her Smash trailer, but this time applied to Valkyrie, and having a Sega character be the 3rd common cast member between PXZ and Smash...

This game better succeed so all can be made right in PXZ3...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Trying to discover some of the unique dialogue for team/solo units.

Chris/Jill & Heihachi has Heihachi talking about a drug that induces blonde hair. Jill responds with "Who would go out of their way to turn their hair blonde?"

Reiji/Xiaomu & Phoenix Wright has the group quoting the Steel Samurai's catchphrase.

I have a feeling Reiji/Xiaomu & Heihachi is referencing Bloody Roar as Heihachi name-drops Kuma & wanting to be as strong as him, then Xiaomu mentions he's not gonna turn into a tiger or a dragon & such.

I'm only on ch. 4 (starting 5 now), so I don't have a lot of characters. Also a pain to discover the unique ending battle quotes as well.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Altered Beast guy is one of Ulala's allies? With how much Segac loves that game I'm surprised he wasn't in a pair unit or at least his own solo lol. I just got Axel and love his way of disarming bombs! In the baddie department this game seems much more zombie heavy than the first. Also in the Crosspedia some/many(?) bios are ripped word for word from PXZ >.>

btw Am I right in guessing what these various symbols mean?

star = stun
chain = bind
poison = poison
brick = guard break
fallen person = down
wings = flight
weight = heavy

?

Yup its super weird since ya got people coming outta the past/future anyways. Based on The World R:2 and Leon stuff I'm thinking PXZ & PXZ2 take place in 2011 so its just strange for early Shenmue stuff to be treated as recent/ongoing!

Gotta enjoy his presence now since he's likely one of those characters who wouldn't show up in the next game if there is one!

Depends on the solo unit. I like using Heihachi right after the first wall bounce, while Phoenix is almost right after I use him. That's part of figuring out PxZ, which solo units work with which team for maximum damage.
Replace maximum damage with "silly dialogue" for how I come up with my pairings!

In chapter 1 I beat Saya first and then it was over, could I have defeated both if I beat Sheath first?
I defeated Sheath first an Saya ran off so it didn't matter. PXZ had some instances like this, usually you'll wanna beat the person with the better item drop in these cases.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Usagi Yodumbo"

Holy crap, this game just references Usagi Yojimbo, Namco continues to amaze me.

Edit: "Xiaomu's Bizarre Adventure" hahahaha

Bladenic

Man the pre-order and demo equipments are insanely strong. I equipped the weaker ones but I still feel like I'm cheating.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, so I met the shopkeeper from Forgotten Worlds, but Namco actually kept her English name of "Mirabella" which was used in the US Genesis version, compared to her Japanese name, Sylphie.

Also holy crap, I'm so glad I didn't spoil who the villains are, this is so cool being surprised at who's appearing.

Ilvocare

You can use the support attacks (L/R) once per a team's turn. So it's a use it or lose it type of deal every time. I don't think you can call in another team (L attack) when you're counter attacking, but you can call in your solo unit.

Timing-wise, I like calling in the solo support during an attack before the enemy bounces off to the wall of the left, that way you get the Cross bonus, and have them suspended in the air for a moment. Right then is when I call in the other team (L) for max damage.

Addressing the highlighted right now: actually, you CAN. IF you have the proper skills. Guess what, there's a SHITTON of passive skills that, if arranged correctly, seem to totally bend the rules of the game entirely. I LOVE this type of shit.

Also I'm in chapter 6. I have now got equipment that's on-par with the demo carryovers. Turns out that the equipment actually isn't all that strong in the grand scheme of things.

the pre-order equipment DLC on the other hand is percentage-based and therefore broken for the whole game

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol what, so Mirabella actually changes her name to Sylphie after the chapter is done. & the shop is almost exactly looks like the one from Forgotten Worlds.

Also yeeessss Ryo mentions running over the enemies with a forklift if you team him with the Yakuza team. Also as previously posted, he'll mention sailors via post-battle dialogue.

Edit: XIAOMU REFERENCES RADIANT SILVERGUN IF TEAMED UP WITH RYO, THAT IS AMAZING.

Nezzhil

Oh my god. Xiaomu references are endless. Even a Lost Vikings one!
At least in the EU Spanish localization.

jorgeton

Addressing the highlighted right now: actually, you CAN. IF you have the proper skills. Guess what, there's a SHITTON of passive skills that, if arranged correctly, seem to totally bend the rules of the game entirely. I LOVE this type of shit.

Also I'm in chapter 6. I have now got equipment that's on-par with the demo carryovers. Turns out that the equipment actually isn't all that strong in the grand scheme of things.

the pre-order equipment DLC on the other hand is percentage-based and therefore broken for the whole game

Ah nice. I'm still in chapter 1 so I'm still missing a lot of mechanics. Good to know there are ways to become even more op.

Top Bottom