• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

You know, if there's one thing I appreciate about this game so far, at least as of finishing Chapter 19, it's that the majority of enemy reinforcements not only don't just appear on complete opposite ends of where your units are, but they also come in near the beginning before the mission title card appears. Makes the start feel more like a prologue for things to come and the extra enemies don't feel like padding as a result.

Also, speaking of chapter 19, I got super excited when
Ogami said everyone's going to use the Trusty Magnum again to reach the Great Oak and all the newcomers express their skepticism at the whole concept.
I can feel myself getting very close to Segata Sanshiro's debut in this game already.

Ilvocare

I hate the OG characters (Xioamu and Reiji I think?) so much. Like they are an active deterrent to my enjoyment of this game

Agree to disagree here, man. Those two have been highlights in every game they've appeared in that I've played (i.e. the original Endless Frontier and the first PXZ). Not to mention Xioumu's been knocking it out of the park with her quips in the past... honestly, literally every chapter she's managed to appear in. (I've come across at least one chapter so far where the two are absent due to story reasons.)

I haven't touched Namco X Capcom yet, which is the game they are originally from. So nah, they aren't SRW-affiliated. Also, I don't quite think the fan translation of that game gives them quite the same general 'deal'. Can anyone who's played the original NxC confirm this, by the way???

EDIT: By which I mean, I doubt the fanslation of NxC and the official scripts of EF and PXZ1/2 give them the exact same personalities...

Agree to disagree here, man. Those two have been highlights in every game they've appeared in that I've played (i.e. the original Endless Frontier and the first PXZ). Not to mention Xioumu's been knocking it out of the park with her quips in the past... honestly, literally every chapter she's managed to appear in. (I've come across at least one chapter so far where the two are absent due to story reasons.)

I haven't touched Namco X Capcom yet, which is the game they are originally from. So nah, they aren't SRW-affiliated. Also, I don't quite think the fan translation of that game gives them quite the same general 'deal'. Can anyone who's played the original NxC confirm this, by the way???

EDIT: By which I mean, I doubt the fanslation of NxC and the official scripts of EF and PXZ1/2 give them the exact same personalities...

I do remember reading somewhere that they are supposed to be expies of SRW's Kyosuke and Excellen.

EDIT: It's on the TVTropes page for expies.

cj_iwakura

NxC is a lot more serious. Reiji is out for revenge against Saya. Xiaomu occasionally has her quips, but nothing like in the later games.

Heh, basically every original pair are Kyosuke/Excellen expies.

Loona

NxC is a lot more serious. Reiji is out for revenge against Saya. Xiaomu occasionally has her quips, but nothing like in the later games.

Heh, basically every original pair are Kyosuke/Excellen expies.

Also, from what I recall from videos of the Nxc fan translation, Xiaomu's references to game there were practically contained to her willingness to spend some time gambling with that giant red frog from Tarosuke's game - then again, maybe there were a lot of indirect references the translator missed.

Ilvocare

Also, from what I recall from videos of the Nxc fan translation, Xiaomu's references to game there were practically contained to her willingness to spend some time gambling with that giant red frog from Tarosuke's game - then again, maybe there were a lot of indirect references the translator missed.

From what I recall, isn't Xioumu's references to other games actually a localization convention? And most of her dialogue in Japanese kinda shoots for obscure JP-type sayings and stuff? I might be wrong on this.

Pretty much always been a bit of a passive onlooker of the series (following its development, looking up videos post release), but this is my first time actually playing one of them. Expected to hate it (not really my genre in the first place), but I'm actually having a pretty good time. I think I just finished recruiting the last of the playable characters, so hopefully it doesn't lose steam here.

Sorry though, kinda have to lean on the side of the series original characters being a bit... abysmal. First section with Reiji and Xiaomu didn't create a good first impression, and no amount of references are gonna make Xiaomu any less grating for me. Other than that, I'm enjoying pretty much everyone, even characters whose series I'm unfamiliar with (though as someone who doesn't really play RPGs, I do kinda wish the Namco side had more variety, as I'm really only familiar with Tekken, SoulCalibur, and Valkyrie out of what's here. Namco x Capcom's lineup was better for me in that regard, lol).

I know it's what everyone's talking about, but Segata really is the highlight for me thus far. They totally nailed him. Couldn't help but light up a bit when
all the Sega characters treated him like an old friend.

septicore

Just finished the game, took about 47 hours of my life to do so.

As much as I enjoyed the game, I found the second half of the game's chapters to be long and tedious, it felt like it took me almost an hour to do a chapter each. I fell asleep while playing in bed a couple of times because I was rushing to get as many chapters done in a single session.

Xiaomu and Reiji are awesome together, Xiaomu with her nods to other games and my favorite one being a nod to the nonary games aka Zero Escape series.

Now I'm ready for Bravely Second to be released this weekend in my region.

Z3M0G

Too early to ask I'm sure, but does it suffer from same problems as the first one?

My issue was that once I got all the characters after 20+ hours, then learned I was only at the half-way point and battles were getting WAY too long and tedious, I simply had enough and quit.

Edit: lol, just read the post above mine :/

yyr

Thanks everyone for posting your opinions; I feel as though my gameplay-related question on the last page has been answered.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Personally I thought while the second half is longer, it didn't feel dragging like in PxZ1 and honestly were shorter.

Loona

Xiaomu sneaking in references to Final Fight when meeting Axel... this game...

For all the obscure trivia involved in the localization of the source games, like the Mirabella/Sylphie bit, it's kinda surprising that in the translation of Captain Commando's learnable skills, which are all references to his teammates, they referred to Jennety's Knife as Genetic Knife - sure enough, Jennety is known outside Japan as "Mack the Knife", but tinsce the skills is technically named after the weapon it wouldn't have been a big deal. Maybe next time, and I sure hope there's a next time.

I know I sound hyperbolic, but I honestly want to gather all the OG characters, with maybe the exception of Saya, and shove them all into a dumpster fire. They are an actively dragging the rest of this game down.

Loona

I know I sound hyperbolic, but I honestly want to gather all the OG characters, with maybe the exception of Saya, and shove them all into a dumpster fire. They are an actively dragging the rest of this game down.

They did trim the fat from PXZ1 by dropping Mii and Kogoro, and no Endless Frontier OGs either - who knows how things might turn out in the future...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Reiji/Xiaomu with Leon produced a freakin' Revolution X reference about using music & CDs as weapons, as Reiji questions who would shoot CDs as a weapon.

I've said it before in other threads, but no matter the quality when it comes to Namco's anime or crossover-based games, you can tell they put a lot of effort into the fanservice.

Gonna do ch. 10 today, need to pick it up a bit.

hell in SRW mainline I think the new OG games are better than Z

As games? Hell yeah. Z was great but both Z2 and Z3 were messes, whereas OG has gone from strength to things.

That said, I'd still much rather hang out with Roger Smith, Aoi, Kouji and friends rather than the OG crew, most of whom come off to me as self insert fanfic characters.

I'll give a pass to Ibis though.

Endless Frontier is a great game...

Yeah, I think we're just looking for vastly different things in terms of the characters. I absolutely fucking hated everyone in Endless Frontier and whatever dumb quest they were on.

People didn't know Reiji and Xiaomu are Kyosuke and Excellen expies? It's pretty obvious giving who the guy behind NxC also did the SRW game that Kyosuke and Excellen are from. Also pairing up Reiji and Xiaomu with Sanger in the first PXZ.

Endless Frontier is a great game...

Agreed, but the sequel is way better and I'm still upset it wasn't localized.

inb4 avatar quote

Boss Doggie

Xiaomu sneaking in references to Final Fight when meeting Axel... this game...

For all the obscure trivia involved in the localization of the source games, like the Mirabella/Sylphie bit, it's kinda surprising that in the translation of Captain Commando's learnable skills, which are all references to his teammates, they referred to Jennety's Knife as Genetic Knife - sure enough, Jennety is known outside Japan as "Mack the Knife", but tinsce the skills is technically named after the weapon it wouldn't have been a big deal. Maybe next time, and I sure hope there's a next time.

So that explains it. I always wondering why it's "Genetic Knife", the closest I know of is Jennety, and even then when Cap references his teammates it's their English names (Jinzu rather than Sho).

I always thought the "genetic knife" was a pick up weapon in his game lol

As games? Hell yeah. Z was great but both Z2 and Z3 were messes, whereas OG has gone from strength to things.

Yeah as games.

Just compare the spritework of the PS3 OG game to PS3 Z game. Holy shit.

Loona

Well, they explained why Sylphie isn't fighting in this game like she did in NxC (other than Captain Commando getting to be the walking oldschool Capcom reference) -
she won't fight clients - that being said, her treachery is in character for these games, but it means she's unlikely to be a player character in a future game if they reuse the antagonists she's been assisting

I'd love it if they added SNK to a future PXZ in order to help deal with that,
since Dogma from Segagaga and WAREZ from NeoGeo Battle Coliseum are all about entities that would be bad for her business, since one is monopolistic and the other is about creating knockoffs of existing products.

Cody_D165

Banned
I've been playing this off and on in my spare time for the past few days and can I just go on record by saying the localization team for this game deserves a goddamn medal. You can tell it's just jam-packed with shit for hardcore video game fans.

Xiaomu just picked up her phone and said "Hello, this is Cheetahburger! Home of the Action Fifty-Tuna melt!"

A goddamn Action 52 reference in 2016.
What a world we live in.

Chapter 24 and 25 have given me more reason to actually play Resonance of Fate one of these days. Hell, I'll probably just grab a copy of the game once I'm done with this one.

Vashyron, you magnificent son of a bitch.

cj_iwakura

Chapter 24 and 25 have given me more reason to actually play Resonance of Fate one of these days. Hell, I'll probably just grab a copy of the game once I'm done with this one.

It's a fantastic game.

75e549a68he1n.gif

And the dress up, my god.

2ec_reanbell.jpg

A.E Suggs

Loving this one so far no haken doesn't really bother me because I didn't really like kaguya and haken being gone is a sacrifice I'll take. Voice aside I actually like ingrid in this game, would make a great playable character in the next game teamed up with Amaterasu or some other character. Kinda makes me want her for SF5 now.

One thing I don't like is boring obvious pair teams like kazuya/jin and dante/vergil. Morrigan/demitri while their moves look great together I'd rather she and demitri were separate like last game. Makes me sad that there's no blaze and hibana is a support.

Even when the latter half of this game starts to show signs of being too long (again, like the first one), whatever mission I am currently on proceeds to make it all worthwhile with something incredible.

Mission 28 having
Segata instigate a BGM override with Burning Hearts Burning Angel on the Space Symphony and require everyone to put out the flames with their own bodies was something else. This man truly is the physical embodiment of everything Sega and the Saturn.

And then there's the chapter immediately after
having Ryu knock sense into Ken and Estelle to free them from Bison's Psycho Drive.
I am so anxious to see what else this game can pull out of its hat to keep me going. Scenario-wise.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So it's sounding like the pacing is a BIT better? Or at the very least, it does a better job of wanting to keep you invested, considering the first game kind of lost its appeal once you got everyone, which was about 2/3rds in.

Loona

Their team was pretty strong in PXZ1, and I figured the team changes might adjust that - but maybe I'm not exploiting the system, since they've just recently joined my crew and they've managed to rack up a few levels above just about every other team.
The range helps, as does the fact they're introduced isolated with a bunch of mobs all for themselves.
Maybe I should have been abusing super finishers with everyone else to rack up exp bonuses or something? I tend to save mine when regular attacks will get the job done.

The new God Eater girls are anime as well, but their music kicks ass.

A.E Suggs

That's not the only thing they shouldn't be in.

On a related note, I find I am enjoying this game a lot more by just skipping all the dialogue

They story is pretty bad but man I couldn't keep playing if I skipped it since the combat is pretty samey like the first game. I think the next game needs an overhaul and maybe made into another genre.

Chapter 31. Just...holy fucking shit, I'm not sure if anything following this will be able to top that opening segment.
Miles Edgeworth gets his time to shine with him facing off against Phoenix Wright in a court case at Ryugu Palace, only for Slyphie to crash the party and take the wind out of their sails by revealing the truth to everyone first.

Their team was pretty strong in PXZ1, and I figured the team changes might adjust that - but maybe I'm not exploiting the system, since they've just recently joined my crew and they've managed to rack up a few levels above just about every other team.
The range helps, as does the fact they're introduced isolated with a bunch of mobs all for themselves.
Maybe I should have been abusing super finishers with everyone else to rack up exp bonuses or something? I tend to save mine when regular attacks will get the job done.

The new God Eater girls are anime as well, but their music kicks ass.
My memories on the strengths of particular units in PxZ1 is very vague, but yeah, Zephyr and Vashyron are pretty damn useful in this one, being my first team unit to hit Level 30. Getting the most out of damage requires not just getting critical hits but also getting the enemy into a dizzy state which adds another damage multiplier. When you add those up, all while combining solo and support units in their combos I can almost always get the XP gauge back up to 100 to use the super finisher.

Only other unit I have that comes close to it in power and usefulness (maybe even surpass when it comes to all the boss enemies) is Strider & Hotsuma with Hibana. I include Hibana specifically because she's has a skill that increases the team's attack power by 75%. And that's on top of the regular team having a skill that increases side attack damage by 15%.

This game's design will still have its flaws and limitations, certainly compared to other tactics RPGs out there, but I'm grateful for the devs giving this game more tools to break it wide open. It's what's kept these missions from not lasting longer than an hour and a half from me on a consistent basis.

UGHGHH THE RESONANCE OF FATE STANNING

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1058565

Can Sega just port it to PC already!

Just finished the game, took about 47 hours of my life to do so.

As much as I enjoyed the game, I found the second half of the game's chapters to be long and tedious, it felt like it took me almost an hour to do a chapter each. I fell asleep while playing in bed a couple of times because I was rushing to get as many chapters done in a single session.

Xiaomu and Reiji are awesome together, Xiaomu with her nods to other games and my favorite one being a nod to the nonary games aka Zero Escape series.

Now I'm ready for Bravely Second to be released this weekend in my region.

So... they didn't fix the problems of the first game? (mostly being long and tedious)

I'm not sure if I want to play another 47 hours of PXZ.

Boss Doggie

Nah I disagree on that, the second half is longer than first, but they are still far shorter than the ones in PxZ.

Hell, the only time it felt long was in Chapter 33 (the Marvel Land theme park).

So... they didn't fix the problems of the first game? (mostly being long and tedious)

I'm not sure if I want to play another 47 hours of PXZ.

I'm on the second to last chapter with 35 1/2 hours, so ¯ _(ツ)_/¯

Nah I disagree on that, the second half is longer than first, but they are still far shorter than the ones in PxZ.

Hell, the only time it felt long was in Chapter 33 (the Marvel Land theme park).

Agreed.

Most likely has to do with the gimmick in the first part of the stage, and BB Hood and Raptor way in the back waiting for them to get closer. Wasted a good three or four turns to get them to move closer.

Boss Doggie

And speaking of which...

I'm surprised they managed to put that reference in this game (Marvel Land).

...I'm surprised Capcom is the only company that hasn't pulled a nostalgia level (Sega has Burning Rangers).

Maligna

Banned
I'm thinking of getting this game only because Ryo Hazuki is in this game.

So my question is, how much is he in this game?

Top Bottom