• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World |OT| The Defense Summons Everyone!

Ilvocare

Today I finished Chapters 22 and 23. I guess with that, the roster is complete? It's odd... take everyone together and that's 19 pair and solo units, when PXZ1 had 20 of each. I could have SWORN that PXZ2 had more people to play around with announced than the first game... not to mention this is the least round number to cap off the roster with. I'm drawing complete blanks as to who could possibly be missing. IF there's anyone missing. I'm confused but excited at the same time of a potential mystery unit. Of course, there's the possibility that they capped all the trio units at 19, which would be... a shame.

I'm tired, gonna go sleep on it. Outside of that, still going strong, even if I'm probably the slowest player here. I've hit 31 and a half hours and I've more or less barely dipped my toes into the second half. Why the fuck do I play these games so slowly...?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Project X Zone 2 takes place two years after the previous game.
I gotta question this part of the OP cause the dialogue in the game makes it seem like this took place not terribly long after PXZ. Like maybe a month at most? I dunno, keeping track of time was never either games strong points!

Today I finished Chapters 22 and 23. I guess with that, the roster is complete? It's odd... take everyone together and that's 19 pair and solo units, when PXZ1 had 20 of each. I could have SWORN that PXZ2 had more people to play around with announced than the first game... not to mention this is the least round number to cap off the roster with. I'm drawing complete blanks as to who could possibly be missing. IF there's anyone missing. I'm confused but excited at the same time of a potential mystery unit. Of course, there's the possibility that they capped all the trio units at 19, which would be... a shame.
I think they did it that way to make things more even?

PXZ was 8 namco, 6 capcom, 6 sega
PXX2 is 6 namco, 6 capcom, 6 sega, 1 nintendo

However if they do fully go with a 4th company for a future game, they totally gotta break the 20 pair mark as 5 per or less would be real limiting!

Loona

I gotta question this part of the OP cause the dialogue in the game makes it seem like this took place not terribly long after PXZ. Like maybe a month at most? I dunno, keeping track of time was never either games strong points!

I think the RoF characters (or was it someone else?) mention a couple of weeks? Then again, with all the time displacements in the referenced series and likely comic book time in the base timeline, hard to tell. IIRC in NxC Xiaomu mentioned being 756 years old, a bit of a Namco nod, but IIRC in PXZ2 she mentions she stopped counting at 756, which both keeps the timeline flexible and keeps the Namco reference.

However if they do fully go with a 4th company for a future game, they totally gotta break the 20 pair mark as 5 per or less would be real limiting!

If they stick with Nintendo as the 4th, do they have that many human-proportioned folks to make this work? There's always more Fire Emblem, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, and maybe tossing in the likes of Little Mac and Takamaru...

Maybe 5 companies with 4 teams each, but maybe that's just me and my hopes of SNK making it to this continuity someday, there's already some eventful stuff in their crossovers with Capcom I could imagine them using...

L.O.R.D

Konami should join in the next game and add snake and raiden from mgs
And James and Heather from silent hill
Pyramid head will come in a chapter with the nemesis.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Simon & Alucard as a team. Bill & Lance as a team, or just Bill as a solo unit. MYSTICAL NINJA TEAM!! Rocket Knight as a solo unit.

I'm on board with Konami joining the frenzy.

Also YEEESSS I finally met Segata Sanshiro.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I think the RoF characters (or was it someone else?) mention a couple of weeks? Then again, with all the time displacements in the referenced series and likely comic book time in the base timeline, hard to tell. IIRC in NxC Xiaomu mentioned being 756 years old, a bit of a Namco nod, but IIRC in PXZ2 she mentions she stopped counting at 756, which both keeps the timeline flexible and keeps the Namco reference.
I think its Reiji that mentions about how The World R:2 is 7 years in the future and Leon is from 8 years later, so I just gotta figure both PXZ games take place in 2011. Does RE6 take place in 2018/2019? If not then uhhhh I give up!

If they stick with Nintendo as the 4th, do they have that many human-proportioned folks to make this work? There's always more Fire Emblem, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, and maybe tossing in the likes of Little Mac and Takamaru...
Nintendo's got some solo unit potential but not so much on the pair side of things. Cause I mean they'd never add their super family friend characters from Mario/DK/etc. They could go the Hsien-Ko/Frank route by pairing up their characters from different games. The ultimate team would be a pair of Pokémon trainers with their attacks being sending out loads of different pkmn but that'll soooo never happen.

I still want Squeenix as a full time 4th. They wouldn't even need to bring their A games (DQ/FF). Pull some pair units from Xenogears, Star Ocean, Front Mission, Drakengard, Tobal/Ehrgeiz/Bushido Blade for the obligatory fighting reps. Aya Brea as a solo, have a Space Invaders styled stage, etc.

Personally, after all the Ninjas they managed to cram into this game, I want Tecmo Koei as a 4th just so I can get some Ryu Hayabusa action.

And since it would be pulling from two formerly separate companies, then that would also mean an opportunity to bring back Jean-Luc Cougar.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
lol Segata's conversation with Kite & Haseo.

"Connecting to the world of the internet? HAH! The Sega Saturn did that ages ago!"

"I don't know if you'd call dial-up "access" these days"

& he references Nights with Xiaomu/Reiji.

cj_iwakura

That's what the official word seems to be? I'll update if you have a better idea, though.

Loona

I remember once seeing a doodle on /m/ that poked fun at how a pilot in Super Robot Warsmight look actually equipping stuff from other series for stat bonuses - in that case it was the stoic Chirico from VOTOM wearing Kamina's classes while listening to a Macross CD while a Haro from Gundam floating around him.

Considering the item list in PXZ(2), I wonder what's a good counterpart for that in the late game... It'dprobably involve Sylphie's dress, which has only appeared in the shop once for me, and was way beyond my budget.

Then again, with the pair unit system as it stands, one can already imagine stuff like Kazuya and Jin somehow sharing that dress...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's a freakin' "But for me, it was Tuesday" reference if you win a battle with Chun-Li/Xiaomu paired with Pai. I don't remember the exact quote, but Chun-Li even mentions she's heard something similar before.

I should see if there's videos made with the unique post-battle conversations yet.

Also, man, for some reason (maybe I need to up their attack), Demetri & Morrigan feel like the worst unit in this game. Edit: Holy crap, maybe it's just me because their attack is freakin 25. Need to give them much better equipment or something.

Man, I see people finishing the game in over 50 hours then I see my complete time and I'm like, wut? Even the OGSE didn't take me that long to finish.

I should see if there's videos made with the unique post-battle conversations yet.

There are. I can't post a link right now. But look up TheYummyKenshin on YouTube.

Man, I see people finishing the game in over 50 hours then I see my complete time and I'm like, wut? Even the OGSE didn't take me that long to finish.

There are. I can't post a link right now. But look up TheYummyKenshin on YouTube.

I finished in a similar time to yours but I was skipping special animations nearly all the time along with abusing the crap out of SP and XP comsumables, MAP attacks and Plasma Field for the latter third of the playthrough.

Loona

According to the US Namco Bandai Twitter account, they're having a live stream about the game on March 16th - I wonder what sort of things they'll cover there.
They're having a guy from Sega's localuzation team as a guest - I wonder if he had a role in things like Segata Sanshiro's Blast Processing quote with the RE team...

L.O.R.D

15 chapter and i think this game is longer but much easier than the first one.
Here you have a shop and free items from the pre order.
Speaking about pre order items,you can actually buy them using real money from inside the game if you don't have them.

Ilvocare

1. Equipment is really important. Keep your people geared up, man. B. Hayato is BY FAR my personal most dangerous recurring boss, due to his insane damage output. Proper equipment maintenance to keep up with the game's escalation helps from keeping your party from exploding!

2. Excited to see what that stream is!

3. Beat 24 and 25 yesterday. Life's been busy for me so I have less opportunities to play the game, but when I do I cover 2 chapters a day, which is my personal PERFECT pace. You would think that throwing as many bosses at you at once might be a problem, but you take them out so fast if you stack skill effects together...

And another personal note: percentage-based equipment like the DLC might be well rounded, but as far as I can see, the in-game static bonuses from chapter to chapter are stronger. Outside of like, two exceptions...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm now 100 percent convinced that PXZ is the Musou of SRPGs. Which is great for me!

L.O.R.D

1. Equipment is really important. Keep your people geared up, man. B. Hayato is BY FAR my personal most dangerous recurring boss, due to his insane damage output. Proper equipment maintenance to keep up with the game's escalation helps from keeping your party from exploding!

2. Excited to see what that stream is!

3. Beat 24 and 25 yesterday. Life's been busy for me so I have less opportunities to play the game, but when I do I cover 2 chapters a day, which is my personal PERFECT pace. You would think that throwing as many bosses at you at once might be a problem, but you take them out so fast if you stack skill effects together...

And another personal note: percentage-based equipment like the DLC might be well rounded, but as far as I can see, the in-game static bonuses from chapter to chapter are stronger. Outside of like, two exceptions...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm now 100 percent convinced that PXZ is the Musou of SRPGs. Which is great for me!

first time i see B. Hayato , he sliced X and Zero by half in a single turn and they are fully equipped with no damage taken.
had to take him out quickly.

Ilvocare

first time i see B. Hayato , he sliced X and Zero by half in a single turn and they are fully equipped with no damage taken.
had to take him out quickly.

You don't even know. His single-target special can OHKO fully-equipped members the next time you meet.

Also midway through 26 at the moment and YEAAAAAAAAAAH
Haseo got Skeith back!

L.O.R.D

You don't even know. His single-target special can OHKO fully-equipped members the next time you meet.

Also midway through 26 at the moment and YEAAAAAAAAAAH
Haseo got Skeith back!
I meant by slicing in half is killing them in one turn using his special attack which slice the enemy in half latterly.

Ilvocare

I meant by slicing in half is killing them in one turn using his special attack which slice the enemy in half latterly.

Fair enough.

Also don't look at this but Ch. 26 things
AH FUCK TRI-EDGE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I NEED THAT HEALTH

I ALMOST OHKO'D YOU

BUT THEN THE HP COUNTER FROM OUTTA NOWHERE

rip cram and lucy

Basically what I'm saying is that I take back my original designation for "most dangerous boss" and give it to Tri-Edge.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Basically what I'm saying is that I take back my original designation for "most dangerous boss" and give it to Tri-Edge.
Never thought about who was the most dangerous but you're right that skill does put him up there. Most annoying is totally
Sigma
because he eats your XP >_<

So compared to the first game is this one better? As I've been playing the first one on and off since launch and am making a concerted effort to finally finish it (got about 6 chapters left now I believe). I like the game loads, but the chapters are so long/repetitive that I can't play it for long stretches of time. So I'm wondering if they managed to address this in the sequel? Either way I can't wait to get it though, I was sold the second they announced Kiryu and Majima.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
lol oh wow I was looking over some of the gear from the first game an one of the strongest weapons gives atk+20. Meanwhile in this game ya end up with stuff that gives 200+ atk. The power creep is real!

Anyone know if NG+ has whole new sets of gear to find like was the case in PXZ?

And he's probably the boss with the highest defense too.
Ya he did seem pretty sturdy like that. How I handled him was either take him out first or leave him for last. There is no trying to take out him and other bosses on the field at the same time cause once he eats your XP you're outta juice unless you got items or skills to restore it.

So compared to the first game is this one better? As I've been playing the first one on and off since launch and am making a concerted effort to finally finish it (got about 6 chapters left now I believe). I like the game loads, but the chapters are so long/repetitive that I can't play it for long stretches of time. So I'm wondering if they managed to address this in the sequel? Either way I can't wait to get it though, I was sold the second they announced Kiryu and Majima.
Its better cause its more fleshed out, baddies aren't nearly as spongey, an there are no 2 hour long stages. The 1 hour long ones don't even really pop up until you're well into the second half of the game. The writing is better and the plot more coherent. Like your party doesn't randomly get broken up every other chapter, instead when they split up its intentional which also helps the plot from going in circles.

Its better cause its more fleshed out, baddies aren't nearly as spongey, an there are no 2 hour long stages. The 1 hour long ones don't even really pop up until you're well into the second half of the game. The writing is better and the plot more coherent. Like your party doesn't randomly get broken up every other chapter, instead when they split up its intentional which also helps the plot from going in circles.

That's very good to hear, thanks :) Can't wait to finish off the first game now to pick up the second one...

Loona

Reached the trial stage - that comment by Xiaomu to Sylphie about her maybe at least using a Blodia Punch (like Devilotte in PXZ1 did) makes me wonder if that was an early plan to make her playable in this game that didn't quite make it... a nice touch, considering the precedents...

The whole stage has been pretty great - just the nods to the moment of Tarosuke's game when he actually meets Otohime, namely the lights when she appears...

I'm honestly very glad I bought this on a whim. There's been a few days where it really sucked me in that I wind up doing 5-6 chapters a day. I'm at the start of ch 34 now and so far I only found two chapters that felt long. Idk how many chapters are left, but I'm having fun.

I'm also surprised I like just about everyone even the ones I don't know very well. Like I rarely change the default units in chapters now. At best I just move around some of the solo units, always gotta keep my homeboy Phoenix in. Well when I can anyway . lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So... the following are still alive after PxZ2 huh

Pyron, Sigma, Vile Mk2, and Zagi

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
PXZ2 ~ 18
Nooooo.

So... the following are still alive after PxZ2 huh

Pyron, Sigma, Vile Mk2, and Zagi
Sure but if the story demands it anyone can be brought back to life! Plus there were plenty of robots & zombies which someone could just remake. Also I can't imagine
Bison
being dead-dead. Hopefully if there is another game it's Ouma-free. I don't dislike 'em an the PXZ new villians weren't super great, but they could use a rest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
whoops, spoke too soon

so zagi and vile are offed
still need to deal with
pyron and sigma

and well yeah that's a given, but usually they
kill everyone who was resurrected

Loona

Hopefully if there is another game it's Ouma-free. I don't dislike 'em an the PXZ new villians weren't super great, but they could use a rest.

Saya just seems too integral an element of the Reiji and Xiaomu dynamic - she pretty much fights like Reiji does, and while she's a humanized fox like Xiaomu, everything about her is more Japanese (closer to Reiji's home, in a way; this isn't seen only through things like her name and use of katanas, but also the creatures from Japanese mythology she tends to bring with her) as a counterpart to Xiaomu's Chinese origin, not to mention that compared to Xiaomu's more childish antics that make Reiji seem like the older adult of the relationship (even if both fox women are way older than he is), Saya's all about a more adult attitude, making sure that Reiji's left to felt like a kid in comparison (the recurring "boy" epithet was there right from the start in NxC).

Now that they've added Sheath, they've opened the door to Reiji's more secondary Alice in Wonderland theme as a possible thematic alternative, but it's still not quite the same thing. Who knows if a PXZ3 will play up any themes related to Urashima though...

Mii and Kogoro were all over the place thematically and ultimately lacked the kind of focus, story arcs and dynamic that made Reiji and Xiaomu likable - if they try to make new originals, I hope they learn from past mistakes...

Ultimately, story-focused crossover games can still benefit from some original elements to help connect everyone else - not sure if in this particular series that'll always boil down to relying on the Shinra/Ouma thing, although they did hint at both organizations having more members we're yet to see.

I miss cases like Super Robot Wars 3, where they only added an original character to your party by the time you were at least 1/3 into the story... then again, are there even more cases like that?...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Why the heck did they drop this games subtitle for the western release anyways? "Game # Subtitle" usually seems cooler then just "Game #". Plus it was already in english, already part of the logo which means they had to put work in to edit it, and kinda made sense with the games theme.

Saya just seems too integral an element of the Reiji and Xiaomu dynamic - she pretty much fights like Reiji does, and while she's a humanized fox like Xiaomu, everything about her is more Japanese (closer to Reiji's home, in a way; this isn't seen only through things like her name and use of katanas, but also the creatures from Japanese mythology she tends to bring with her) as a counterpart to Xiaomu's Chinese origin, not to mention that compared to Xiaomu's more childish antics that make Reiji seem like the older adult of the relationship (even if both fox women are way older than he is), Saya's all about a more adult attitude, making sure that Reiji's left to felt like a kid in comparison (the recurring "boy" epithet was there right from the start in NxC).

Now that they've added Sheath, they've opened the door to Reiji's more secondary Alice in Wonderland theme as a possible thematic alternative, but it's still not quite the same thing. Who knows if a PXZ3 will play up any themes related to Urashima though...
If its not an Ouma threat then maybe bring Saya back as an ally? Go even further and pair her up with Reiji or Xiamou. Ditto for Sheath, she turned out way more likable than I woulda expected! Having Reiji & Xiamou as the MC's again but paired up with their enemies could be a cool twist. Or it could lead to more Sakura-like
cold-blooded jealousy
!

Loona

If its not an Ouma threat then maybe bring Saya back as an ally? Go even further and pair her up with Reiji or Xiamou. Ditto for Sheath, she turned out way more likable than I woulda expected! Having Reiji & Xiamou as the MC's again but paired up with their enemies could be a cool twist. Or it could lead to more Sakura-like
cold-blooded jealousy
!

Technically that already happened both in Endless Frontier (in the 2nd one at least there was a specific Reiji+Xiaomu+Saya attack) and PXZ1.

Then again, with Endless Frontier's ties to the SRW G universe, especially considering actual SRW OG human-sized characters were in that, maybe a future threat could involve that larger setting in an a way that doesn't involve giant robots - I'm just not that sure of how many more SRW OG characters could fight on foot beyond those already in EF and PXZ1... I think Selena from SRW Alpha 3 used a whip in an early cutscene in that game, which fit with an attack her bot had, not unlike how Axel's moves in EF were apparently based off his bots, and how Sanger in PXZ1 got to mimic his too...

With all the multiverse nods in the mainline SRW games and the way that's likely to bleed into the OG games, maybe at some point that brand of chaos is too much even for Ouma...

I fucking hate chapter 11.

First you have to disarm bombs within 10 turns but getting to them takes at least 3 turns. The final one us guarded by Robot Axel, who has about 10 henchmen that wear you down before you can even approach him. Worst of all his health regenerates on his turn and his special attacks can take away 50% of your health meaning he basically negate a player turn. On top of that the Nemesis from Resident Evil shows up and he can traverse the map easily and spams an insanely powerful attack which really hurts weaker characters.

Had to turn my 3DS XL off for a while I was getting passed off.

Loona

I fucking hate chapter 11.

First you have to disarm bombs within 10 turns but getting to them takes at least 3 turns. The final one us guarded by Robot Axel, who has about 10 henchmen that wear you down before you can even approach him. Worst of all his health regenerates on his turn and his special attacks can take away 50% of your health meaning he basically negate a player turn. On top of that the Nemesis from Resident Evil shows up and he can traverse the map easily and spams an insanely powerful attack which really hurts weaker characters.

Had to turn my 3DS XL off for a while I was getting passed off.

I just assigned one character to each bomb for that - for the two a the top of the stairs, by the time the character assigned to the one on the right is done, the one heading for the guarded bomb on the left should be a bit slowed down by mobs on its way, so the character that handled the right bomb can catch up to assist.
The ones at the bottom floor can eventually regroup to handle the trouble there once their bombs stop being an issue.

Loona

After theme park Marvel Land (which I only knew about before PXZ2 because when reading up on NxC character, I read Bravoman and Waya-Hime are referenced in the background of a stage), it's nice to go to a Valkyrie stage that isn't the inside of Zouna's pyramid like in the previous game - and not only did they use
the catapults from her game, Segata Sanshiro is actually launched from one and he's the one exploding upon landing, as a reversal of his Bomberman commercial - which makes perfect sense because in a previous stage he mentioned carrying explosives from Crackdown

It's the little things, but boy do they add up to something great in this game...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished ch. 27 yesterday, might do another chapter or two tonight. I'm just glad they still are introducing new characters/villains this late into the game, that was another issue of the first game, running out of people to put into the game, so it kept recycling the enemies you'd fight.

Granted, I feel like all the cameo enemies are done with, but I still feel like the game might throw one or two more bosses at me, especially considering I still haven't seen
Metal Face
since his first introduction.

Finished ch. 27 yesterday, might do another chapter or two tonight. I'm just glad they still are introducing new characters/villains this late into the game, that was another issue of the first game, running out of people to put into the game, so it kept recycling the enemies you'd fight.

Granted, I feel like all the cameo enemies are done with, but I still feel like the game might throw one or two more bosses at me, especially considering I still haven't seen
Metal Face
since his first introduction.

The characters actually bring that up at one point.

He'll show up VERY soon.

I just finished chapter 26, I think, and that was the most stupid way on how to put out a fire.

Chapter
. And you do not question Segata Sanshiro.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Treasure, huh? Well, if you folks bring the sin, we'll supply the punishment"

Oh Xiaomu, you continue to be the best.

I should be close to learning everyone's 5th move, right? I'm on ch. 28 now & everyone is around level 20 or 21.

Edit: HOLY CRAP, Segata referenced the
Burning Rangers
....& that chapter reveal. AND THAT MUSIC.

Ilvocare

"Treasure, huh? Well, if you folks bring the sin, we'll supply the punishment"

Oh Xiaomu, you continue to be the best.

I should be close to learning everyone's 5th move, right? I'm on ch. 28 now & everyone is around level 20 or 21.

Edit: HOLY CRAP, Segata referenced the
Burning Rangers
....& that chapter reveal. AND THAT MUSIC.

Her next reference immediately afterwards somehow, somehow managed to catch me off guard.
Space Jam will never fucking die, man. Only way it could be better is if she referenced Shut Up and Jam Gaiden somehow... even though that's literally just a fangame.

Yeah, I love how new music keeps coming my way. I finished chapter 31 myself recently, and 5th attacks are behind level
, if you're curious. Gonna hop onto 32 soon, too.

Ilvocare

just finished chapter 22
when will they allow me to use the cancel or slow time ability ?

You already can. Have enough meter and interrupt an ongoing attack with B. I don't remember where it's at in Crosspedia, but it explains it there.

Yeah, you've been able to do it since the beginning. Of course, if you want to use it effectively, you might end up dedicating some time in Training to finding out the red cancel timings for attacks.

I would be lying if I didn't say I HAVE been using it sporadically here and there... sometimes you need a little push and don't want to blow your meter on a special attack.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I honestly forgot it was even in the game & haven't used it once. Though yeah, the idea of using it when you're close to beating an enemy but don't want to waste a special attack seems like a good time to use it.

Ilvocare

I honestly forgot it was even in the game & haven't used it once. Though yeah, the idea of using it when you're close to beating an enemy but don't want to waste a special attack seems like a good time to use it.

Remember that red cancels are absolutely crucial in using it: otherwise you just threw a special attack in the trash. The skills that reduce Mirage Cancel percent reqs are a godsend, but even then, the reduction caps at 30%, which I found out by looking around in the skills pane on the touch screen mid-battle.

RangerBAD

Yeah, you've been able to do it since the beginning. Of course, if you want to use it effectively, you might end up dedicating some time in Training to finding out the red cancel timings for attacks.

I would be lying if I didn't say I HAVE been using it sporadically here and there... sometimes you need a little push and don't want to blow your meter on a special attack.

You build so much meter that I just blow it.

Top Bottom